car accident and car seat

mousefansmom

DIS Veteran
First, I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I am more thankful this year than ever before. Last Tuesday I was rear-ended by a person who was going about 45 mph. My 3 yo dd was in the back seat. I saw the van in the rear view mirror, and turned my wheels to the right just prior to the impact. I was pushed forward about 5-10 feet. Had I not turned the wheel, I would have been pushed directly into cross traffic that was very heavy, with a 55 mph speed limit. I would have been hit directly in the driver's side door, and I am not sure I would still be alive. Although I am still in pain, I cannot get past the fact that we must have had a guardian angel watching over both of us.

I do have a question for anyone who might know-- Do I need to replace the car seat? I have always heard that if a seat is in an accident, that it should be replaced, but it never moved from where it was, the impact was on the other side of the car. Does anyone know? I just want my daughter to be safe.

Please count your blessings on this Thanksgiving day. I know I am. . .

Mousefansmom

It could have hidden cracks. I would have their insurance replace it.

I'm gald you were not hurt badly and that your child is ok. :)

You should replace the car seat if its in any type of accident...even if you were hit from the side the car seat was still impacted and may have hidden cracks.

they are usually a one time use thing. call the manufacturer and ask them. I know that my ds wasn't in the seat when my DH's car was totaled by a storm and they said replace. the insurance just added it on.

glad everyone is ok

Let the insurance pay for another one, it's part of the damage.

Yes, replace it. You can't know if there are minute stress cracks in the plastic because of the impact of the accident. It's much safer to just replace it than to have it fail in a future accident.

I think it should be replaced and that the mfr. might possibly want to inspect the one from the accident. Check with your insurance and contact the car seat's mfr.

email intenseblue98@comcast.net - I work in the infants buying office for a chain of dept. stores and depending on the mfr. I can get you information from the person who handles that dept.

We were rear-ended with DD in her carseat (she was also 3 yo at the time). In Illinois, it is law that the person responsible replace the carseat. There may be hidden damage and the risk just isn't worth it. My bet is that your insurance agent will have all the information you need but you should ba new one right away and have them reimburse you.

Hope you feel better soon and glad that it wasn't worse.

Not only should the child's car seat be replaced butl the car's seat belts should be as well! I didn't know this until recently. Your insurance (or the insurance of the person who hit you) should pay for it.

Any safety device - car seat, bike helmet, etc - is designed for one-time accident use only. ::yes::

Laurie

This Grammie says better safe. I am just so happy your little precious is ok. When I think of the lousy equipment we had when my kids were small it gives me the shivers. Feel better

Another vote for replacing it. Even if you have to pay for it, consider it a small price to pay for your child's safety. When I rolled my van last year, we replaced the boosters for the older kids that day. Do it for your own peace of mind. Even if it means eating mac and cheese for a week until the check comes. Beleive me--I was a firefighter for 10 years, and we've seen miracles with car seats. And we've seen tragedies.

replace it

DS was 2 when our car was totaled. I was stopped with my left blinker on waiting to turn. A young driver plowed into us. DS was ok, I had to be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital.
The insurance company fought us on replacing DSs car seat - said it looked fine. I kept at them until they did pay for a replacement.

(I also had the hosp check out DS even though he seemed fine.)

Replace it for sure - even your manual will tell you that a CSR is only meant to withstand the force of one crash, no matter how slight or severe.

We had a crash about 2 years ago and per the instructions of the agent I immediately replaced our 2 CSR's. I submitted the receipts along with the instructions on the CSR's that were in the crash and got a check for the full amount. I just highlighted the paragraphs about replacing them in the event of a crash.

Once you read the wording in the manual you will have no doubt that replacing them is the thing to do. I know I was going to replace them regardless of any reimbursement. The price paid for the CSR's was nothing compared to the safety of my kids.

Glad everyone is safe!

TJ

I hope your baby is feeling okay! I was in an accident and the kids were not in the car, but I was rearended and pushed into traffic at 30 MPH and thank goodness for the oncoming SUV's excellent reaction time! Anyway, I was in pretty bad pain for a few weeks and I was so freaked out about if the kids had been in the car! I was completely stopped when I was hit. I hope yours is okay! Get that new car seat!

A friend of mine was in a car accident last year with her kids. The manufacturer replaced the car seet at no cost to her, and sent her the materials to return the old car seat to them. I believe they said they use them to gather data on how the car seats perform during crashes, and then use this data to look for ways to improve them.

Call the mfg. of the seat and see what they say. If they do not replace it the insurance company will. I'm glad you and your DD weren't hurt further!

As a claims person I often reimbursed for the replacement of a car seat under the Property Damage portion of the responsible persons insurnace. See how the adjustor wants to handle it...

you are all right! There is nothing more important than the safety of our daughter. I am just afraid of the other person's insurance company getting angry at our requests and refusing to pay things like medical bills and the collision damage. But then I suppose that our own insurance would pick up the costs. This is new to me, I don't want to screw up. I was completely not at fault, I was rear-ended while at a stop sign.
Thanks for all the input!
Mousefansmom

Yes, you need to replace it and dispose of it so no one else that may need a seat could mistake it for a good one.
I'm so glad you two are OK {HUGS}

Another vote to replace the seat! I had an accident with my boys in the car last December and my insurance replaced both the seats with no question. I would have paid for them if they wouldn't though, it just isn't worth it.

Steph

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter