Candlelight Processional 2015

met19

Mouseketeer
I know we haven't reached halloween time yet, but for this AP (now in NY) I need to plan my december visit (ask for time off etc). I was wondering when Candlelight Processional dates might be either anounced or if someone has an idea.

...I was wondering when Candlelight Processional dates might be either anounced or if someone has an idea.
Candlelight at Disneyland is usually the first weekend in December, so December 5-6 this year.
December 5 is also Walt Disney's birthday.

As far as I know, there has been no information released as of yet. The Candlelight Processional Registration website still lists 2014, so it's not clear what is going on. When the dates are announced, it'll be posted on the wdwinfo Events Page and in the Christmas SuperThread.

I just checked and the page now says 2015 and lists dates.
This holiday season, the Candlelight Ceremony will be performed under the stars on Main Street, U.S.A., on Saturday, December 5 and Sunday, December 6, with two performances each night.
Deadline for application and audition submission is
Monday, September 28.

i am not sure if anyone posted this but with the news coming out today and no mention of it, I went on a search. On Dismey's events page they are auditioning choirs and it says "This holiday season, the Candlelight Ceremony will be performed under the stars on Main Street, U.S.A., on Saturday, December 5 and Sunday, December 6, with two performances each night."

Now the wait to see who will narrate!

Yes. It was posted in its own thread, and we discussed it in the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread (a few weeks ago).

The narrator won't be announced by Disney unless they are planning to open up seats to the public, but if I hear any rumors I will post them in the Superthread. Disney doesn't even announce Candlelight at DLR in general unless they open up seats to the public.

WDW is where Candlelight is more a part of the publicized holiday season festivities.

I merged the two Candlelight threads together. The dates were first confirmed (but already pretty much known) back on August 12th.

We will be visiting from December 3-6 and I just read that the Candlelight Processional will be held Saturday and Sunday.
How will this affect fireworks, parades, magic morning etc. during these days.
Also, if we decide we want to see this, is it something one needs a special ticket to see?

There are no tickets for it at Disneyland, unless Disney manages to find a way to allow more seating for it. People just gather around and stand to see it. The people with seats are the invited guests -- VIPs, Club 33 members, etc.

It is a wonderful Ceremony, and if you love Christmas music and Christmas in general, it is worth seeing. It's quite lovely.

There is no effect on Magic Morning -- at least, not that I have noticed. In other words, I have not made the connection between Candlelight and anything that happens during Magic Morning (such as crowds or opening times), so I don't think there is an effect.

There are usually 2 Candlelight performances each night, in the 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. range (give or take 15 minutes). The fireworks and parades are worked in around those times, or after. I don't know if the Candlelight performances will still be at the same times, or if the times will be altered slightly to accommodate the fireworks and parade, but it will all work out one way or another.

Crowds in the parks are usually pretty substantial on Candlelight weekend -- not only due to the people who come out to see it, but also due to the people who are trying to avoid it, and who pack into Disneyland earlier in the day to get their rides in before escaping to DCA later at night. Still, I have gone to DLR on Candlelight weekend more than once, and my Sunday experience was that the crowds were not bad earlier in the day, but by late afternoon Main Street was a madhouse. Last year there were a few events going on over the same weekend, so the crowds were crazier than usual. On Monday I noticed a definite drop in crowds.

This year is different, however, in that the parks are already really crowded due to Halloween Time and the 60th anniversary. I suspect that the combination of the Holidays, the 60th anniversary, the new Season of the Force event (Star Wars-themed) and other school breaks and smaller events will make for a really crowded park for most of the rest of the year.

Stay tuned to the Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread. We have talked a lot about Candlelight there, as well as all other things related to the holiday season at DLR!

Has anyone done the candlelight processional at Disneyland before? I read that they do invitation only for some seats and the rest are first come first served, and some people wait all day for this. How early do people really get there to wait? Is it worth it? I've never done it at WDW either but I'm thinking I might want to do it this year.

It is invitation only. They don't even advertise it as it's basically a "thank you" for VIPs/C33 members/Execs. 2 years ago we had a CM bring some people to come fill in the seats next to us right before the show.

I think @Sherry E can give you a better time table on how long people wait, but in 2012 we saw Kurt Russell and Dennis Haysbert (I can't get his voice out of my head now) and the Kurt day we arrived back in the parks about 4 hours before the show to ride some rides and there were A TON of people waiting on the street already...like an unusual amount, despite it being unadvertised.

The seats may be invitation only, but standby viewing is for everyone. We do CP at DL every year and love it. (Have it marked on the calendar a year ahead so we don't miss it!) If you want a bench, then you will have to get there first thing and be prepared to hold your spot all day. We show up 30-60 minutes before the show and usually find a good enough spot. (It's a bit like parade viewing -- how badly do you want a prime spot? More prime = more wait time.) If the weather cooperates, there should be 4 performances to choose from (2 on Sat. and 2 on Sun.). It's a lovely tradition that started with Walt and I'm so glad the DL does it.

Last edited:
It is invitation only. They don't even advertise it as it's basically a "thank you" for VIPs/C33 members/Execs. 2 years ago we had a CM bring some people to come fill in the seats next to us right before the show.

I think @Sherry E can give you a better time table on how long people wait, but in 2012 we saw Kurt Russell and Dennis Haysbert (I can't get his voice out of my head now) and the Kurt day we arrived back in the parks about 4 hours before the show to ride some rides and there were A TON of people waiting on the street already...like an unusual amount, despite it being unadvertised.

Yes, I didn't even know they did it at Disneyland until last year when I happened to be in the park on a day that they were doing it.

The seats may be invitation only, but standby viewing is for everyone. We do CP at DL every year and love it. (Have it marked on the calendar a year ahead so we don't miss it!) If you want a bench, then you will have to get there first thing and be prepared to hold your spot all day. We show up 30-60 minutes before the show and usually find a good enough spot. (It's a bit like parade viewing -- how badly do you want a prime spot? More prime = more wait time.)If the weather cooperates, there should be 4 performances to choose from (2 on Sat. and 2 on Sun.). It's a lovely tradition that started with Walt and I'm so glad the DL does it.

Thanks! I didn't realize that you could do standing room as well. That's probably what I'll do as I don't want to wait all day and I'll be alone.

I sent you a PM Ashley about CP. I viewed last year for first time and waited an hour and a half. This year would ideally love to be going with at least one other person (in general) and so we could (especially if a group) sit in Town Square much earlier. As for is it worth it? YES. For me (I am a devout Christian) being able to be part of Jesus being celebrated at DL (one of my very favorite places especially in December :) was incredible. Watching the processional of choir members was just amazing and so very special indeed the whole thing.

ETA: theluckyrabbit PM-ed you as well. :)

Last edited:
I wish they would bring back the dinner reservation seating option. I was able to see Dick Van Dyke front row in 2005 that way and it was amazing. Seriously, one of the greatest events in my life. I saw Kurt Russell with standing and it was great, but I was back a little bit and to the side. Granted I didn't wait all day, but the dining reservation way was just much smoother and nicer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter