Canadian Buffoon European Vacation - 30/03 - Endings and Silver Linings

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by pkondz, Aug 22, 2013.

1. pkondz

pkondz Hoping to get lucky

Funny/Not Funny - real life update

So I was back-to-school shopping the other day with Kay when I came across something at the register.

I picked it up. Laughed.
    Put it in the basket.
    Put it back on the shelf.
    Shrugged, said, "Oh, what the heck."
    Put it back in the basket.
    Bought it.

I mean, it's just meant to be right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A couple of days later, I'm coming back from... I don't remember.
    Doesn't matter.

I was on a section of road where the speed limit is 80kph/50mph. But frequently, during the day, depending on traffic, you can expect to be at a dead standstill at least a couple of times before you get through the next set of traffic lights.

Traffic's moving okay... probably around 60kph/35mph or so.
    And of course, we come to a standstill.

I'm sitting there.
    Just behind a car who's sitting behind another car and so on for about 50 cars.

I glance in my rearview mirror and there's a truck behind me.
    He's about one car-length back.
    It's one of those big flatbed trucks that you see for hauling around lumber, or as was the case here, stacks of drywall.

Do you guys south of the border call it drywall? Or is it sheetrock?

Whatever.

That's not really the issue.

What was the issue was that this big truck...
    That was a car-length behind me...
    With me and everyone in front of me stopped, waiting for the lights to change...

Was still going about 80kph/50mph.

I think my eyes might have gotten really, really big. And I know... I mean I know my adrenaline kicked into overdrive.

I had no where to go.
    I did the only thing I had even a chance to do, which was crank the steering wheel as hard as I could so that when I got creamed from behind, I might not (that's might not) die by being turned into a pancake, but would instead get catapulted into the cars beside me. An angled crash might just save my life... but it's still going to be bad.

I didn't think all this at the time. All I know is I reacted on instinct, to GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!

So I didn't die, obviously.

At the last second, the truck driver woke up.
    He jinked to the left for a nano-second, then swerved to the right. He bounced up over the curb and onto the gravel shoulder and roared past me in a cloud of diesel fumes and road dust.

I sat there for a second, watching my life flash before my eyes and pondering what to do now.
    Should I pull over and follow him?
    What for. Why would I?
    I figured he was probably just as shaken up as I was.
    Maybe more. "Holy *expletive* I almost killed that guy!"

So I just drove home.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Backstage_Gal

Backstage_Gal <font color=darkorchid>Let me rephrase the dog ste

Oh my God, Ponzi, that is so scary! I'm happy you are still around to take us to Paris.

4. dawnbu40

dawnbu40 DIS Veteran

:scared1: So glad you and others weren't injured! So scary

5. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

Official Ponzi Translation:

Both drywall and sheetrock are acceptable south o' the border.

Holy Cow! I would have had to change my shorts.

I wasn't so lucky Friday night....I was stopped in traffic and a Xterra slammed into the back of me and pushed me into the car ahead. My poor Jeep got it on both ends. I limped home but steam was coming out of the engine when I pulled into the driveway. Waiting on the adjustor to take to look look at the damage. Praying they will fix it and not total it since its paid for and really can't afford a car payment right now.

Jill in CO

6. Backstage_Gal

So sorry, Jill, that sucks! Hope it works out for you.

7. pkondz

pkondz Hoping to get lucky

Gotta admit, it shook me a little. That's probably the closest I've come to cashing in my chips in a while.

You really want those V&A meals, huh? :laughing:

Did I forget to mention that part?

Oh, geez. Let us know how the meeting with the adjustor goes.
    You weren't hurt were you? How's your back/neck?

Seems kinda strange that you were hit from the back and I almost was on or around the same time.

Small world... and not in a good way, here.

8. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

Too late for any more votes. I won my appeal. Case dismissed. :woohoo:

I think Buzz has you covered on this. Buzz to the rescue.

9. Thumper_Man

Thumper_Man DDC 684

10. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

I hear ya on the not so good small world! No injuries for anyone but my back and neck feel like I got hit by a semi. Just got home from having a massage to see if that will help and will be calling the chiropractor tomorrow morning.

No one showed up to tow my car to the repair place Saturday so I have to call in the morning to find out what is going on. Still hoping they can fix it instead of totalling it...I really don't want a new car payment!

Jill in CO

11. buzz1121

buzz1121 DIS Veteran

I have a feeling you would have handled her just fine. I read what you do with and for your girls so I'm sure baby Buzz would be in good hands. The good news is that as of yesterday, both of the top teeth have broken through. She rested so much better last night....and so did I. ;)

Uh-oh. That doesn't sound too good. If I didn't know better, with that kind of ominous statement, I would swear I was reading a Nebo TR. :sad2:

Yep, just like taxes and the surety of something going awry on a Nebo trip, you can count on Ol Buzz always being in for the lengthy TR. Hey, I'm not alone, if I remember correctly Marita prefers extended TRs as well.

Aww, how magnanimous of you! :sad2:

Yes, my friend, it is way too hot to ship zebra domes right now. It is averaging about 90 degrees daily here, with Orlando being a few degrees higher. I think you would get ZD gelatinous goo even with the 40 tons of dry ice DH would purchase.

12. buzz1121

buzz1121 DIS Veteran

Thanks Heather! I am going to read your TR and though it may be too late to post I know I will enjoy it! :goodvibes

13. buzz1121

buzz1121 DIS Veteran

I knew there were many reasons I like you Marita. Along with you and Elle, I also hate shopping. I can't tell you the last time I shopped for clothes in a store. With the kids being fairly young, I shop online. ;)

14. Lady Elle

Lady Elle Mouseketeer

but you know daddy, I got your eyes...:flower3:

now, please post another chapter!

15. buzz1121

buzz1121 DIS Veteran

HOLY COW Pkondz!!

What a freaking scary "near miss" accident. I'm with Jill, I would have needed new shorts!

And Jill, what in the world!?

You guys were lucky and blessed that nothing more serious happened! I'm so glad you are okay! :grouphug:

16. smidgy

smidgy dimples

wow how very scary!!!! glad you're ok..

I do not like shopping either! yuck!

17. Backstage_Gal

I liked you the minute you posted your first post! :hug: I haven't bought a new thing in a year. I must soon though, new job in two weeks :eek:

We must have a Dismeet next time you come.

18. Backstage_Gal

!

Talk about a delayed reaction, it didn't hit me till today!

I looked at those pics and thought, wow that looks familiar and just couldn't place it.

Ginko Beloba(?), please save me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OK, talk about a delayed reaction

I think I just repeated myself. Can the HOME be far away?

19. mmeb144

mmeb144 I do my own theme song.

I'm with Lady Elle, another chapter, please. :thumbsup2

20. Thumper_Man's Wife

Thumper_Man's Wife DIS Veteran

I won't be anywhere near Boma or Mara anytime soon, sorry. I'll have to make it up to you another way...I did find a recipe for Red Chile Toffee that I'm debating on trying sometime in the near future...

Hmmm..Sorry. I just took a cue from your own book and posted the same link you posted on our TR regarding the "Echo" thing. Don't know why it didn't come up. Darn 'puter!

Nice! I'll be waiting...How much can you spot me? [​IMG]

Thanks...I think...:confused3

Hmm...I'm intrigued!

If we would have known...:headache:

[​IMG]

Sure Ponzi...I believe ya...;)

:rotfl:

[​IMG]

Even more intrigued...

I think it has become one of my new favorites. As long as that is not my credit card...:rotfl2:

Nope, If you did that at the airport, you would have been waiting WITH a woman...at the mall you were waiting ON a woman. Completely different. And not the same song. :rotfl:

I give you credit for even thinking of doing something outside of the airport. I would be too afraid to miss the flight that i wouldn't budge.

Just make sure you have your shotgun ready, when that first boy comes to the door...Cleaning this Gun - Rodney Atkins

You keep that up, you won't be able to finish this TR! :rotfl:

He does now! :headache:

Honestly some of them aren't that bad...but it's not the most pleasant of meals. I used to like the peanut butter and crackers and some of the drink mixes.

I haven't had a complaint yet...Just as T-Man. :snooty:

Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun breaking it down. Didn't realize I pretty much did the entire thing. Sorry...:cutie:

21. Thumper_Man's Wife

Thumper_Man's Wife DIS Veteran

Not really. It comes in handy every now and then, if one phone dies or if I want to use the built in mobile hotspot to connect my kindle or something to the internet, that way I don't have to use my personal one ;) but other than that, it's just another phone to add to the rest of the world I have in my purse.

Thank you. And Sorry, I didn't mean to mention it more than once. I've been in a daze lately.

Aww. thanks.