Canada-"Under-Appreciated"?

I love Canada in World Showcase,but it seems like it is way down most Guests' list of favorite WS Countries.:)

Are there any other Canada fans?:)

I think the Falls area and the Gardens area are 2 of the most beautiful areas in all of WS,but there never seems to be a lot of Guests there.

I DO think they need to put something,ANYTHING,back in the Hotel-that area does not "flow" at all!:)

Canada has the best entertainment IMHO in WS with Off Kilter and the most "in-demand" restaurant in all of WDW(well,before BoG!;):))in Le Cellier.:)

Canada has some really neat Hidden Mickeys and also one of the best "hidden secrets" in all of WDW-the totally cool "IllumiNations Rocks"!:)

Finally Canada always has an awesome Cast!:)

014-3.jpg

Canada needs what all of the pavilions of the World Showcase need, a little ride like Norway and Mexico. Watching a movie in a theatre, just doesn't seem to have the same affect.

I always found it too cliché, but that's because I'm a canadian.

As a Canadian I've always thought the same thing. I do like that Canada is a represented country in WS though. As "pretty" as I think the pavilion is, I do find it boring compared to some of the others. I just wish there was more going on at the pavilion itself.

I've never been to LC (even though I hear such rave reviews), don't think I should have to leave Canada to go to FL to eat "good Canadian food".

Is the cheddar in the soup, even Canadian cheese?

My husband is a talker - so he walked over to them and said "Hi ladies! How are things in the great state of Canada!!" Obviously he was playing around with them and he knows Canada is not a state, but they tore into him and proceeded to chew him out and tell him that Canada is NOT a state and NOT a part of the US and so on and so on.

I would have also taken offense to this, until I realized that he was joking. But I can understand why the CM's were in an uproar - we get things like this all the time. The ignorance surrounding Canada is silly at times, sad - but silly.

A walk up cart with Cheddar cheese soup, pretzel bread and a cup of Tim Horton's would be perfection!

I would love to have a Tim's so I can get my Iced Capp :lovestruc

I think Canada is my least favorite pavilion. I hardly ever even stop there anymore. The shopping isn't that great (and neither is Off Kilter :faint: ), and the only attraction is a movie where you have to STAND UP!

There's not even a good drink or snack stand.

I don't have anything against Canada the country, but I think Epcot could do more with it.

I agree. They need more. And get rid of those darn hats with the racoon tails. We DO NOT wear those!! :lmao: ** well the odd person will be sportin' one**

They MUST change those outfits. It just perpetuates the stereotype of us Canadians being backwoods log chopping hicks. On our last trip my then DD8 said, "those costumes are SO embarrassing. We DON'T dress that way". Other than that, we love it.

I agree with your son. We need new outfits. I always say that.

As a Canadian I've always thought the same thing. I do like that Canada is a represented country in WS though. As "pretty" as I think the pavilion is, I do find it boring compared to some of the others. I just wish there was more going on at the pavilion itself.

I've never been to LC (even though I hear such rave reviews), don't think I should have to leave Canada to go to FL to eat "good Canadian food".

Is the cheddar in the soup, even Canadian cheese?

I would have also taken offense to this, until I realized that he was joking. But I can understand why the CM's were in an uproar - we get things like this all the time. The ignorance surrounding Canada is silly at times, sad - but silly.

I find it so funny talking to others about Canada. I can't help but laugh when I hear that all we have are trees, live in igloos, and it's ALWAYS cold. It's sad really.

I like going to visit the Canadian Pavillion but do wish there were more representing the Maritimes. Only a few snippets about us.

Canada Rocks eh!! :banana:

In the Canada pavilion? No. According to Beers and Ears, Brown Derby has it. One year it was sold at the international beer booth at the food & wine festival. Last year there was a Unibroue sold at a kiosk in Canada but only during the festival...I do not remember if it was Fin du Monde, but I doubt it since Le Cellier only has it in bottles.

They haven't said anything about Unibroue at the beer stand coming back for the festival. The actual Festival booth is said to be serving Moosehead.

Last year the cart had Ephemere and Don de Dieu on tap. There was a 3rd Unibroue on tap that was either Blanche de Chambly or Trois Pistoles

WE love Canada. Miss the Beaver Tails! Although we never could get a CM to sing us the Beaver Tail song.

Been said above but I will say again....
Throw a Tim Horton's in there and it will be packed. It also should have a bigger emphasis on the north, Canada is mostly in the arctic, which most Canadians have never been to. The three territories NWT, Nunavut, and my home Yukon are a mostly unknown and misunderstood part of North America. Tim Horton's up here is like a religion btw.

One of my absolute fav's of all the World Showcase countries, if not my favorite!:)

They MUST change those outfits. It just perpetuates the stereotype of us Canadians being backwoods log chopping hicks. On our last trip my then DD8 said, "those costumes are SO embarrassing. We DON'T dress that way". Other than that, we love it.

I agree that the outfits are very outdated. To be fair though, the same thing could be said of Norway, Germany, etc. I'm pretty sure they don't dress that way either in their everyday life. ;)

My kids now love going to Canada's gift shop! At least when we went a few months ago, the CM's had hidden several stuffed animals of different varieties through out the shop. If the kids found all of them, they got a little card I think stating they were honorary mounties or something like that? I can't put my hand on the card at the moment but it was something to that effect. Plus the garden area is gorgeous! There were bunnies in it when we were back through there (which I know are all over, but it just made it even prettier at the moment!).

Canada in WS is beautiful, though hard to navigate, IMHO. The REAL Canada is even more beautiful, as are its people. Every place I have visited in Canada, from BC to NS, has left me wanting to go back. Can't say enough wonderful things about our northern neighbors.

Being Canadian my honest opinion of the WS pavilion is that it is a poor representation of what Canada really is and what it has to offer. There is way more to Canada then maple syrup and totem poles and I wish they would update it, I spoke with a Australian outside of Canada’s pavilion once and there where amazed that we did not live in igloos :mad:

I think you could say that about pretty much each of the pavillions.

I used to like the Canada Pavilion ok - seemed like there wasn't much there, but we always watched the Martin Short movie. BUT, when my husband and I went on a no-kids anniversary trip to Epcot, we went to watch the movie. There was still 15 minutes and we were the only 2 people waiting. There were 2 cast members there - 2 college age girls. My husband is a talker - so he walked over to them and said "Hi ladies! How are things in the great state of Canada!!" Obviously he was playing around with them and he knows Canada is not a state, but they tore into him and proceeded to chew him out and tell him that Canada is NOT a state and NOT a part of the US and so on and so on. He finally told them to chill out and take a break and we left without seeing the movie or anything else in there. Haven't been back to the Canada pavilion.

That's a little short-sighted.

I think Canada is my least favorite pavilion. I hardly ever even stop there anymore. The shopping isn't that great (and neither is Off Kilter :faint: ), and the only attraction is a movie where you have to STAND UP!

There's not even a good drink or snack stand.

I don't have anything against Canada the country, but I think Epcot could do more with it.

You are missing the point with the standing up. The movie is all around you and you could sit down and get the effect it creates.

For the record, Off Kilter is not Canadian but they are pretty good.

I agree that the outfits are very outdated. To be fair though, the same thing could be said of Norway, Germany, etc. I'm pretty sure they don't dress that way either in their everyday life. ;)

I was thinking just this.. Even the american ones arent exactly how we dress... The old ones werent and the new flight attendant ones arent either :)
We also dont walk around playing fifes and drums..

Dunno if it'll make any Canadians feel any better, but the people of the US are just as ignorant about their national geography. My sister lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and she regularly has to argue with people who "don't ship outside the United States" or otherwise make it plain they don't know much about their own fifty states. :sad2:

We love Canada! In fact, we are having our bow renewal there in a couple of weeks. It will be up in are up-top with the falls in the background. So gorgeous up there!

Originally Posted by Indio
I used to like the Canada Pavilion ok - seemed like there wasn't much there, but we always watched the Martin Short movie. BUT, when my husband and I went on a no-kids anniversary trip to Epcot, we went to watch the movie. There was still 15 minutes and we were the only 2 people waiting. There were 2 cast members there - 2 college age girls. My husband is a talker - so he walked over to them and said "Hi ladies! How are things in the great state of Canada!!" Obviously he was playing around with them and he knows Canada is not a state, but they tore into him and proceeded to chew him out and tell him that Canada is NOT a state and NOT a part of the US and so on and so on. He finally told them to chill out and take a break and we left without seeing the movie or anything else in there. Haven't been back to the Canada pavilion.
The public is ignorant about a lot of stuff, including basic information on US history/geography (I knew people when we lived in Colorado who thought NYC=New York state and that when you drove over the border into NY state from PA, that you'd see the Empire State Building). They spend thousands to go to WDW and have no idea there are 4 parks or that you don't have to pay for FP or that you have to stand in line. There is probably not a minute that goes by without a guest making a stupid remark or asking a stupid question somewhere on Disney property.

The CMs have no call to tear into any guest over a comment like that, joking or not. My dd was a CM this year in Attractions and hardly an hour went by that she didn't have to respond to a guest who was totally ignorant of the basics of WDW, like FP or the 3 o'clock parade. If she'd ever torn into a guest for asking "When is the 3 o'clock parade?" she would have been fired. And rightly so.

If you can't take dealing with questions like that, you shouldn't be working with the public.

We love it! The gardens are gorgeous, the CMs are friendly, after watching the movie I told DH that I wanted to move to Canada (partly for the health insurance). :duck: We always make a point to see Off Kilter at least once during every trip. And we LOVE Canada during the F&W festival, can't beat that chicken chipotle sausage and sweet corn polenta and this year, the filet. And, oh goodness, the cheddar cheese soup. :thumbsup2

I can't be the only person that realizes the term "state" doesn't necessarily mean a subdivision of The United States, can I? The term, "state" just refers to a governed entity. A country is a state. Heck, Canada even has a Secretary of State.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter