can of worms here.....yelling in the hallways!

Goofy&Sleepy

Mouseketeer
Ok, just got back from stay @BWV which we LOVE but now, I'm thinking OKW in Oct. is looking better & better b/c of noise. I'm an "OLD" mom of DD4 & DD7 & due to the recent storms in FL we did this trip kind of differently. We took naps around 4 in the afternoon & would go to the parks, after the storms, & stay til midnight. That said, maybe I was just more alert to the noisy people in the hallways @BWV. I had put the girls down for naps& DH was in the room & I went to get a drink.....3 YOUNG boys & their Parents, I assume, & a couple of other adults were trying to get back in their room & evidentially, had left all their keys in the room. They were waiting on one member of their party to come back from the pool & the boys were "being boys" yelling & such & all the parents said was "you boys are so LOUD" (as were they btw). This was not just one time but over the course of several days, it was the same group.

Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

Actually I do find that OKW and SSR are quieter and it's due to the issues you point out.

The hallways at Disney hotels are deemed "playgrounds" where it's OK for adults and children to act out. Why this is I don't know. I travel a lot and it does not happen at other hotels. Parents also seem to think that "Thier Darling" screaming is just too cute to stop LOL! Not to mention that too many parents today use the "sceam" method to "attempt" to control their kids. (Here's a hint. If you have told Junior 10 times that "if you don't stop doing XYZ we are not going to the park" he's caught on. You don't mean it, If you did he would be sitting in his room crying! LOL!)

Anybody else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

BINGO! You hit the nail on the head. This is why we bought at SSR and OKW, and want those resorts as our "most frequented" in WDW. Spread out villas and no indoor hallways reduces noice.

Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

Flame away if you want, but . . . here's my opinion. Too many parents today don't "parent" their children - they just "birth" their children. Like the family you noted -- Instead of teaching their kids to respect others, and MAKE the kids be quiet (this is called parenting), they just make sure the kids knew the difference between loud and quiet by pointing out that they were loud (like this helps anything.) I've been at other hotels, and have dealt with the same thing. I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

I am glad there are still some people around like you who are brave enough to confront them :thumbsup2- Its getting more and more apparent that people are too scared to confront such parents, as they are worried about the nasty backlash you get when they don't like what you've said about their precious 'darlings'.:sad2:

I have absolutely no problem helping other people learn to 'parent' their kids. I'll just open the door and say "HEY, some people are trying to sleep around here; turn the noise down a bit." Maybe they'll think it's rude, but it's nowhere near as rude as letting your kids be brats and annoy everyone around them. ...'nuff said.

No flames here - - I am exactly the same way. And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing. I am the queen of passive-aggressive in those instances. :rolleyes1

If its too loud for you at BWV you should stay at OKW. However our only stay at OKW was also a rainy week and it was brutal trying decide if it was good time (a pause in the rain) to go get on a bus just to get to the pool-then of course it would start raining again and, well you get the picture. At BWV we just walk out to the pool even if its a few minutes, we just walk back in. Having EPCOT close is nice during showery off and on again days at BWV as well. We left EPCOT a few times when at OKW because it was just not letting up only to get all the way back and off at our stop and you guessed it-stopped raining. No, a small chance of a little noise (although we always have a fan) at BWV is not nearly enough to to not stay there-for us anyway.

A-MEN! I'm the same way! I'm not going to sit back and let these adults with children (note: I did not call them parents... ) ruin MY vacation that I paid MY money for! I don't know why some people just "can't" parent...

No flames here - - I am exactly the same way. And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing. I am the queen of passive-aggressive in those instances. :rolleyes1

Another A+ point! Nothing wrong with adding a little volume to your voice when making an example out of "nasty" children for your own child's sake!

-Now to the original poster - I stayed in OKW when I went with a family I nanny'd for. The children were 2,3,4 at the time, but three of the best, most well-behaved children I have ever met! Note: their mother is a parent that parents! There were other children there, but we never once ran in to any problems with noise. Just a GREAT resort! My vote goes to OKW!

There was a HUGE group around the corner from us at SSR last summer. Those concrete walkways ECHO. They were coming in from the pool late one night just SHOUTING. I STORMED out of our villa and told them to BE QUIET! And I had a look that guaranteed they would be wise to comply. Didn't hear a peep from them again.

Same trip, about 3:30 AM every day some idiot would take his cell phone out on the balcony and have a lengthy LOUD conversation with somebody. The discussions were all in a foreign language, so obviously he was calling some other time zone and 3:30 AM was a reasonable hour for the person on the other end. :headache: I was not happy.

I have also had problems with kids running and screaming in the halls at AKL/V.

I am a professional nanny, so I have pretty rigid standards about the way I expect children to behave. Having said that, I do NOT think expecting children (and adults) to use common courtesy is unreasonable.

Call the front desk and let them deal with the younger ones, if their parents won't. that's what they should handle (parents or the resort staff, not you). keep out of it personally, so as not to foment ill-will with your neighbors. and i'd think okw would be less populated with youngsters, since the typical okw owners are older, empty nesters; who might have grandchildren with them, and as grandparents tend to demand better behavior. just a thought.

No flames from me!!! I totally agree with you, and I'll even go a step further on the "likely to be flamed" line and say we have attributed the LOUD children (and I mean SHRIEKING) to teh preponderance of day care instead of parenting themselves. At the big day care centers, the best way for a child to learn to get attention is to shriek, and you hear it all the time at Disney. It has been much more apparent in the last 5-10 years. Add to the that the fact that those "parents" no longer have learned how to parent, and you have the situation described. Maybe we can even go a generation farther back too. My generation might be at fault here too. I'm a bit of a rarity, since I stayed home with my kids in a time when most mothers were a making careers as well as being mothers. Now those kids are having kids, and two generations haven't learned how to parent!:confused3

I have no problems letting people know what's wrong if I have the opportunity. LOL, I have been known to bang a broom on the ceiling at OKW to get kids to stop bouncing super balls at 5 a.m. or banging pans on the kitchen floor at midnight.

We were at AKV concierge last year when there were 2 young boys (about 6-7) running around the halls, lobby and rope bridge at 6-7 a.m. with no parents in sight. They were "shooting" pop guns and playing pirate. I'm quite sure their parents were holed up in their room with not a care in the world. I could see all the AKL staff gritting their teeth over it too.

I don't disagree with anyone here, but as a mother of three young kids who does PARENT her children I also feel the need to point something out...

Just because you see one situation, don't assume that is how it always is. I travel extensively for business, and being a good parent, my whole family goes with (so I can nurse and be with my kids on the down time. DH takes care of them while I'm working.) 99% of the time, my kids are great. There are times though, where because of airline delays or other circumstances, the kids have already behaved better than most adults for 12 hours+ and put up with a lot of inconveniences to say the least, and have a non-perfect moment. It is my pet peeve when an adult makes a rude comment about any kids behavior when they have no idea of the circumstances that come before it. I've seen so many times that my kids have been more patient and kind than adults are. And I get furious when an adult sees one instance and assumes I have a naughty kid or I'm not parenting my kids.

I always give the parents and kids the benefit of the doubt. You never know what they might be going through. I know as a parent, I'm always embarassed and trying as hard as I can to remedy any situations where my kids are bothering anyone as fast as possible. Some adults have no patience at all for kids and they are the ones who are being inappropriate. It's easier for an adult to adapt than a child.

I'm NOT saying that applies at all to the OP's scenario. I'm saying in general, if you see one incident, don't judge. Have some compassion for a child.

I don't disagree with anyone here, but as a mother of three young kids who does PARENT her children I also feel the need to point something out....

I'm NOT saying that applies at all to the OP's scenario. I'm saying in general, if you see one incident, don't judge. Have some compassion for a child.

There is no way a couple of 6-7 year olds running around playing pirate at 6-7 a.m. in the lobby and halls is a child having a bad day. It's parents not parenting. Of course all kids have bad times, but when you see one family being an issue over and over on one trip, it's more than a bad time.

Just this last trip, we encountered one family at two different restaurants. It would have been just a simple annoyance once, but when we encountered the same family at a second restaurant on another night, it made us shake our heads in disbelief. If you read my trip report, you might recall my annoyance at a shrieking ( and I mean LOUD) child at Jiko when we were trying to have a nice meal at a nice white table cloth restaurant. This same family showed up at Turf Club a couple of nights later, and the shrieker could be heard all over the restaurant yet again. It became a topic of discussion among the wait staff. When I told them of our experience with these people behind us at Jiko, they realized it wasn't an accidental one time thing. Thankfully, at Turf Club, we were on the other end of the restaurant instead of right next to them, but it was still very annoying. I had no idea a child could be as loud as a howler monkey!

There is no way a couple of 6-7 year olds running around playing pirate at 6-7 a.m. in the lobby and halls is a child having a bad day. It's parents not parenting. Of course all kids have bad times, but when you see one family being an issue over and over on one trip, it's more than a bad time.

Meltdowns we all understand, but Diane is right, Pirates or Relay Races or any kind of loud behavior in the hallways and lobby is extremely self centered.

I have a whisper yell I do, coz ya can't yell at your kids to stop yelling :rotfl:

Oh and when we are in our rooms and we hear load noises from the hallway I tell my kids that I feel bad for any mom trying to get her baby down for a nap.

Ok, just got back from stay @BWV which we LOVE but now, I'm thinking OKW in Oct. is looking better & better b/c of noise. I'm an "OLD" mom of DD4 & DD7 & due to the recent storms in FL we did this trip kind of differently. We took naps around 4 in the afternoon & would go to the parks, after the storms, & stay til midnight. That said, maybe I was just more alert to the noisy people in the hallways @BWV. I had put the girls down for naps& DH was in the room & I went to get a drink.....3 YOUNG boys & their Parents, I assume, & a couple of other adults were trying to get back in their room & evidentially, had left all their keys in the room. They were waiting on one member of their party to come back from the pool & the boys were "being boys" yelling & such & all the parents said was "you boys are so LOUD" (as were they btw). This was not just one time but over the course of several days, it was the same group.

Again, not to open a can of worms here but I really try hard to tell my girls to be quite whether it's midnight or 11:00 a.m. b/c I know people are on different time zones when visiting the world. Any body else prefer SSR or OKW b/c of this?

This is the same thing we thought....We stayed at AKL and BWV, and we felt the same way....We LOVE SSR for its peaceful quiet....

:rotfl2:I had to read your post twice, OP, to make sure it wasn't my family!!! (although we DO parent our kids:thumbsup2)

We just stayed at BWV with our 3 little boys and wouldn't you know---they gave us the 2nd to the last room all the way at the very end. The farthest rooms from the elevator.:scared1: We tried to keep our little ones quiet the whole time in those hallways, but that's virtually impossible! I will say there is an echo in there, though, and everything does sound louder. Luckily, mine were in strollers and we just pushed faster. ;)

Do those hallway's remind anyone else of "The Shining"?:scared1:

Do those hallway's remind anyone else of "The Shining"?
LOL, maybe that's why OKW is still my favorite DVC! DH loves AKV, but only wants to stay CL, because he HATES the hallways!

We just stayed at Old Key West for the first time, this past trip, and fell in love! I think it is our new favorite!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter