can of worms here.....yelling in the hallways!

I truly do feel sorry for that poor child at Alien Encounter. That parent was certainly not showing good parenting skills, and that poor child must have been frieghtened to death.

We were at Finding Nemo the Musical once where a child behind us was screaming and crying as soon as the show started. The child was about 3 and was terrified both of the dark and also the huge characters in the show. Several people kept looking back at them, and I politely asked if they wanted to take her out. I was blasted by the parent to mind my own business. I just felt so awful for that child, and frankly, for all those around her. She was obviously scared out of her mind. The parent finally did take the child out, but not until several others suggested it.

That's when you should've run up and shoved a corn dog in it's mouth! :rotfl:

I'm kidding. . .

sort of. . .

:rotfl2::rotfl2: That would have been fun. I probably would have been punched by the mother but it still would be funny. :rotfl2:

Getting back on topic, hotel rooms and unsupervised children running around yelling in them. I remember when we were in CL at AKV and those kids were running, screaming and playing "Pirate" in the halls, lobby and rope bridge early in the morning, that the staff obviously wanted to do something about it, but their hands appeared to be tied. That says to me that they are specifically directed NOT to stop things like that.

Getting back on topic, hotel rooms and unsupervised children running around yelling in them. I remember when we were in CL at AKV and those kids were running, screaming and playing "Pirate" in the halls, lobby and rope bridge early in the morning, that the staff obviously wanted to do something about it, but their hands appeared to be tied. That says to me that they are specifically directed NOT to stop things like that.

All I can say is that better not happen when I'm at AKL. I'm not one to go out of my way to correct other people's children, but when certain situations merit it and nothing is being done. . .

It certainly doesn't sound like you felt bad for the kid since you related the story in such delicious detail about what a brat the kid was and then how scared he was. It sounds like to me that there was more going on than just a bratty kid ... like the kid could not control his actions for one reason or another. Of course the father should have been paying more attention to his child and the the warnings but the CHILD did not "have it coming"

RobinB - I was being sarcastic... Neither I, nor anyone who was forced to deal with this ignorant child (and father), felt one ounce of sympathy as this child was a spollied rotten brat. The father had no intention of parenting (or disciplining) this child (ever) which was blatently obvious. To try to rationilize it as anything but malicious, unacceptable (by both the child and the father) and ignorant behavior is ridiculous. Had you been there and experienced this first hand, I think you (or anyone of sane mind) would agree that this was simply a case of a spolied rotten child who was in charge of the parent and we were all glad to see it come full circle (kharma).

Crystal, fwiw I don't disagree with what you state in the following or the approach :

...and if I see a child endangering another child or himself, you can bet that, as a parent, I'm not going to sit by and let a child hurt himself or others, even if said child's parent is turning a blind eye to their behavior. It's not like I'm all out criticizing the child, but more like "here, Honey, let me help you with that so you don't hurt yourself," or "here, Buddy, let's take you back to your parents so they don't worry about you" or (in the case when I'm speaking to my DD) "I told you no because the rules say you can't do XYZ...even though you are seeing those children do that."

Honestly, I would hope that if another parent ever saw DD doing something while I was otherwise occupied, that they would step in rather than let her hurt herself or whatever.......

....what you point out above is not same as what you've stated here

.........And, what's even better is when I am able to loudly make an example to my DD (who's 5) about how unacceptable and inappropriate a child's behavior is within said child's and parent's hearing........

Overall I get where you're coming from, I know you're a good person

......All I can say is that better not happen when I'm at AKL. I'm not one to go out of my way to correct other people's children, but when certain situations merit it and nothing is being done. . ....

ita this situation would call for that....Diane said these childrent were quite young & their parents were no where to be seen :sad2:

Hmm, we were at Marriott's Summit Watch last summer and there were about 10 kids running around our floor playing, screaming in the halls, running the elevator up and down.

This went on for a day, I stopped at the front desk and gave them the specifics. No more kids taking elevator rides or running in the halls.

See now that is messed up. I would be annoyed by that. I can't believe the kids were unsupervised! I mean it's Disney but kids can still get kidnapped or hurt very easily.

RobinB - I was being sarcastic... Neither I, nor anyone who was forced to deal with this ignorant child (and father), felt one ounce of sympathy as this child was a spollied rotten brat. The father had no intention of parenting (or disciplining) this child (ever) which was blatently obvious. To try to rationilize it as anything but malicious, unacceptable (by both the child and the father) and ignorant behavior is ridiculous. Had you been there and experienced this first hand, I think you (or anyone of sane mind) would agree that this was simply a case of a spolied rotten child who was in charge of the parent and we were all glad to see it come full circle (kharma).

How do you know that? Perhaps "Dad" wasn't "Dad" at all - but stepdad and the kid had been (and was continuing to be) victimized by a contentious divorce? Perhaps the kid did have sensory issues. My daughter goes to school with two little girls, both with an entire suite of 'issues' and both with parents who seem - problematic. In one case Mom left when she was four, showed up again when she was five, rehab involved. Mom comes and goes, alternately spoiling her and ignoring her - and Dad is more interested in his girlfriend. That one you CAN - to some extent, blame poor parenting, but since there is also mental illness involved, its more complicated than that. In the other case the little girl's brother died of cancer last year - after a five year long struggle - and the whole family is a dysfuctional mess - with some good reasons.

I'm always amazed at the ability of Disers to be able to be exposed to a family for fifteen minutes in line and be able to be able to identify exactly what has gone wrong within the family unit accurately. We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder. We seem to know when a kid is a brat and not that a perfectly normal kid just didn't reach his limit for the day without warning. We apparently are all in the wrong profession, since we'd all make such efficient social workers, school psychologists and family therapists.

Hmm, we were at Marriott's Summit Watch last summer and there were about 10 kids running around our floor playing, screaming in the halls, running the elevator up and down.

This went on for a day, I stopped at the front desk and gave them the specifics. No more kids taking elevator rides or running in the halls.

You go girl!!:thumbsup2

Haven't got through this whole thread yet, but one very quick and probably controversial comment. I raised three boys, even one with ADD....and the crack of the butt won every time we had behavior issues. They are well adjusted adults, tax paying citizens. Sorry, this type of punishment needs to
be re-instituted.

Haven't got through this whole thread yet, but one very quick and probably controversial comment. I raised three boys, even one with ADD....and the crack of the butt won every time we had behavior issues. They are well adjusted adults, tax paying citizens. Sorry, this type of punishment needs to
be re-instituted.
But it doesn't work with all children. It never worked with my DD. Every kid is different.

i'm always amazed at the ability of disers to be able to be exposed to a family for fifteen minutes in line and be able to be able to identify exactly what has gone wrong within the family unit accurately. We seem to know when its poor parenting and not autism or sensory disorder. We seem to know when a kid is a brat and not that a perfectly normal kid just didn't reach his limit for the day without warning. We apparently are all in the wrong profession, since we'd all make such efficient social workers, school psychologists and family therapists.

well said.

Letting children run through the halls is very unsafe. Even at Disney, some nut could grab your child and pull them into their room.

I know....Call me a Nervous Nelly, but I do think about these things.

Letting children run through the halls is very unsafe. Even at Disney, some nut could grab your child and pull them into their room.

I know....Call me a Nervous Nelly, but I do think about these things.

I'm going to spend my time worried about higher risk things. How many children run through the hallways of hotels every day around the world and how many of them have been pulled into a hotel room? On the other hand, how many of them have been killed running after a ball into the street, on a bike or skateboard, drown in a pool? How many are injured doing sports? How many of them get beat up or harassed by the bully at school? How many of them end up doing drugs or engaging in unsafe sex? For that matter, how many of them are abused by people they know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter