Camera Bag

Lightroom 3 or Aperture 3

• Lightroom 3

• Aperture 3

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well if it's not right then I'm doing it wrong too. I do almost exactly what you do except I do blacks last.

I slide the desaturation slider down first because I can see the tonal values better in black and white. Then I follow a similar path, ending by moving down to the curves to adjust before I bring the color back and move on to it.

Mark ... I thought you were looking over my shoulder when you typed that. Its almost exactly what I do to photos right after my initial crop and composition adjustment if there is any needed.

I like to hold down my "Alt" button as I adjust my Exposure slider. It sets the screen completely black, then as you increase the exposure the areas that are blown out will turn white. That lets me increase the exposure as far as I can before I have blown highlights. Then I use the Recovery and Brightness to fine tune my exposure to get it where I want it.

Absolute most practical book on Lightroom: The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 book for digital photographers.

Has really saved me a lot of time and jumping to PS. Reading it you fly through the 450+ page book. Amazing.

Hi! I have photoshop and currently use picasa for organization. I have thought about Lightroom especially for raw. can you tell me the pros/cons of lightroom and how you use it differently than photoshop. Thanks!
Alicia

I would definitely get Lightroom to go with Photoshop. I still remember when I started using Lightroom 1.0. The time it took me to process a batch of pictures dropped by about 70%. Of course, that was before Bridge, so ymmv.

Basically, Lightroom streamlines your workflow. You can apply a present of basic processing at the point you import a picture. Then you can quickly go through a set of pictures flagging which ones you want to keep and applying keywords. Then you can step through picture by picture making adjustments very efficiently. It handles lots of basic functionality like cropping, white balance, tone adjustments, color adjustments, dust removal and spot healing, noise reduction, lens corrections, and capture sharpening. You can also make target adjustments such as gradiant or painted adjustments to exposure, contrast, saturation, and sharpness. The best thing is that all of these adjustments are parametric, which is to say that they are all saved as instructions rather than actual changes to the picture. That means that you can have multiple sets of instructions for one picture processing it in different ways (B&W and color versions, different crops, etc).

In my work, I generally only go into Photoshop for a handful of purposes. I use it when I need something special that I can do as well in Lightroom, like extreme noise reduction or adding or removing elements. I also jump into Photoshop when I really want to work on a picture in gory detail.

In summary, I think Lightroom will give you the following benefits:

1) Better organization than Picasa (except the lack of face recognition)
2) More efficient workflow
3) Parametric editing

It will not completely replace Photoshop.

Yes! Get Lightroom. It really increases your productivity and makes managing your photos much easier.

I never quite gotten all the hub-bub surrounding Light Room. I downloaded the LR3B2 Beta earlier this year (March?) and while I could see the appeal, for me it didn't offer enough as compared to Bridge to justify buying it.

I guess it's a nice compromise between Bridge and Photoshop, but if you already have PS and Bridge, I don't see it doing much for workflow. At least not based on the way I process.

Try the 30 day trial. If you like it find a way to purchase it with student pricing.

If you shoot RAW then LR will be a dream. Yes you can do it all in ACR in PS, but LR brings it together. In LR3 the performance is the biggest feature over past versions.

I really like the new publish feature in LR3 making it easy to upload images to Flickr and other photosharing sites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!