Calling all Trans, calling all Trans

Ok ok..... *sigh* Yes, I'm here!

I'm a very stealth (so far) MtF just beginning therapy and I'm terrified of what the next two years might bring. My family knows and completely supports me. I've been reading these boards for a long time but never really looked at the "Gay and Lesbian at Disney" section until recently. But I'm glad I did as there seem to be a great number of people in the GLBT community that love Disney like I do. So I say lets keep the love going!

Signed,
Soon to be "Tracy"
(I hope!)

I'm a very stealth (so far) MtF just beginning therapy and I'm terrified of what the next two years might bring. My family knows and completely supports me. I've been reading these boards for a long time but never really looked at the "Gay and Lesbian at Disney" section until recently. But I'm glad I did as there seem to be a great number of people in the GLBT community that love Disney like I do. So I say lets keep the love going!

Signed,
Soon to be "Kimberley"
(I hope!)

Welcome!

Nice to meet you :goodvibes

Hi

Love this thread...I'm not TG but I have recently acquired a number of FtM friends...not sure how lol and I'll be honest - before I met them I was pretty ignorant about the issues you girls and guys face every day.

I do think in general Disney does things well and I've always been comfortable being me.

Just wanted to say "hi" too. My older daughter and I volunteer at an organization here in Portland called Transactive. ( She volunteers waaay more than me...but she's young! ;)) Anyhow this organization supports families with gender non conforming youth. Provides a gamut of services and one of only three in the whole country. I'm proud to be a part of it in whatever way I can.

All this to say, even though I am not trans, I am an ally. Hugs and welcome all around.

Signed,
Soon to be "Kimberley"
(I hope!)

Hello Soon to be Kimberly! :)

There's a great bunch of people on this board so feel free to chat. :)

Please forgive me.. but I have a trans question.
I'm a straight woman who frequents a store where two trans mtf's work. They are lovely and very very knowledgeable.

However, today.. I messed up and said "he" instead of she in referring to one. I didn't know what to say "sorry", or ignore it. I was so embarassed for myself. I just sort of stammered over it.

I know now is to identify with the pronoun that they identify with.. which I totally didn't know until today and got home and researched it. Now this is just some Google research.. is this correct? Should I be saying she?

I just realized I messed up and don't know what to say or how to fix it.

Please help a person that needs to know a little bit more so I don't look like a fool anymore.

You use the pronoun that the person most identifies with, hence "she" for woman, and "he" for man.

If you've made a mistake, no problem. Apology works a charm. Simply apologize, and move on.

Take care and thank you for caring enough to ask about this.

Yes, a simple and sincere apology is all you need, then move on. Most transgendered individuals expect people to make the occasional mistake, just don't dwell on it as that is even more embarrassing and might create a scene.

I am about to begin my own transition from male to female life in the near future and I want to say "Thanks" for caring enough to learn a little more about us. We don't want to look foolish any more than you do.

Thank you for answering my question! I appreciate you answering it kindly.

I love this store and I just didn't want to do the wrong thing next time. Now I know what to say or do.

:goodvibes
I am FTM. i also used to work for Disney.

I have been lurking for sometime and saw this so i had to make an account and say hi!

Oh thank you, thank you.

My 17 yr. old niece came out this week that she has always felt like a boy. We have always been very close, so I was one of the first people that her mother called. I have absolutely NO issue with this and reassured her/him that it is the heart inside the body that I love. I did remind her that I am human, for 17 years she has been a she and my niece. If I screw up, it is a mistake and do not read anything in to it.

Please help with the lingo, sensitivites advice - anything.:grouphug:

Oh thank you, thank you.

My 17 yr. old niece came out this week that she has always felt like a boy. We have always been very close, so I was one of the first people that her mother called. I have absolutely NO issue with this and reassured her/him that it is the heart inside the body that I love. I did remind her that I am human, for 17 years she has been a she and my niece. If I screw up, it is a mistake and do not read anything in to it.

Please help with the lingo, sensitivites advice - anything.:grouphug:

You seem to have expressed yourself very well, and thoughtfully here. You'll do just fine with your nephew.

The courteous thing to do with any T person is to address them with the pronouns appropriate to the gender they present as. But don't worry if you stumble a few times, its to be expected and shouldn't cause a huge fluster. Just correct yourself and move on.

Your Nephew is lucky to have somebody like you around. :grouphug:

Can I just say, I'm lovin' all the people from NS on this thread? :wave: I also think it's awesome that this thread exists :thumbsup2

While I'm not trans, I know people who are, one of whom has been a good friend of mine since high school.

I hope everyone has been doing well :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter