• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Booked my southwest today too! $210 pp round trip. Also changed resort at my sister's request (shes doing the 1/2 with me unless she gets pregnant) from BWV to BLT. Not 100% sold on that move, but it will make the half easier for our spectators. I think now I will have no spectators for the 10k though:( it's our parents points, and they'll be there, so I go where I'm told, even if I'm almost 40;). BLT is probably my favorite, with BW close behind, so it's not like not having spectators is going to ruin the trip. I'll probably need the course support more for the half anyway:).

Now if I can just get over my injury and resume training!!!!

$210 !?!? Wow.... That's crazy cheap and makes me a little angry. You are MUCH farther north than I am and my ticket was twice that ! It was $400.80 to fly out of Louisville and I will be there in 2 hours. :headache:

$210 !?!? Wow.... That's crazy cheap and makes me a little angry. You are MUCH farther north than I am and my ticket was twice that ! It was $400.80 to fly out of Louisville and I will be there in 2 hours. :headache:

I (obviously) was very pleased with the price. It's from Providence. It is school vacation week for us, ending the Sunday of the race. But we are not flying ideal times. If I'd picked ideal times it would have been much more. We fly down the prior weekend, a Saturday evening flight getting us to MCO at 8:00 pm, then we need to drive 2 hours to my parents house.. We head to Disney on Wednesday before the race. We fly out on the Tuesday after the race very early in the AM, so also not ideal. But for those prices, ill take it:). This past April and the prior April we had to drive from Massachusetts to Disney because airfare those times was over $3200 for the four of us! So I found out today was the opening of fares for SW, and I was on my iPad, reloading the air reservation page once a minute from 5:00 am on. It was 6:13 am when I went from seeing "sorry, we aren't taking reservations for that date" to seeing availability. It sounds crazy, but it worked:). Driving in April is one thing, February and our snowy winters are another thing entirely.

I booked with SW too! Very happy rndtrp from Hartford to MCO 240 each!!! Yippee!!
Also wondering if anyone has ever experienced a bruised heel pad? How would you tell the difference between that and faciatius?

Didn't see an Official 10K thread, so I thought I would post here. Signed up for the 10K the first day. I always wanted to do the half but could never get the courage to train. I saw the 10K and had to jump on it.

I am really nervous because of the time per mile. I am just barely making it under the 16 minute mark in training and I so desperately want to finish that race. If any one has any stories/help on training and weight loss, that would be great. :)

I love Disney and am looking forward to this run. Happy to be taking the journey with you all. :)

Didn't see an Official 10K thread, so I thought I would post here. Signed up for the 10K the first day. I always wanted to do the half but could never get the courage to train. I saw the 10K and had to jump on it.

I am really nervous because of the time per mile. I am just barely making it under the 16 minute mark in training and I so desperately want to finish that race. If any one has any stories/help on training and weight loss, that would be great. :)

I love Disney and am looking forward to this run. Happy to be taking the journey with you all. :)

Congrats on taking the plunge and signing up! I too have signed on for the 10k and am super excited! It's something I've always wanted to do but have not had the courage before now to attempt! I'm currently training with the C25K app and am on my 8th week! I'm amazed at the strides that I've made, I didn't know I had it in me lol! I know I still have a long way to go to prepare for the 10k, but I'm excited to say that I've registered for my first 5k! It's at the end of August and I actually feel like I'll be ready for it! Good luck to you with your training and have fun!

Congrats on taking the plunge and signing up! I too have signed on for the 10k and am super excited! It's something I've always wanted to do but have not had the courage before now to attempt! I'm currently training with the C25K app and am on my 8th week! I'm amazed at the strides that I've made, I didn't know I had it in me lol! I know I still have a long way to go to prepare for the 10k, but I'm excited to say that I've registered for my first 5k! It's at the end of August and I actually feel like I'll be ready for it! Good luck to you with your training and have fun!

Thank you!! I am using a c210k app and I am on week 6. :) Good luck on your first 5k! You have given me the push to go look for one I can do. :)

I have never purchased from the running warehouse. Is it a pretty safe site to use? I found my should almost half the cost!!!

I buy all my shoes and all my running stuff from running warehouse. It is awesome.

For instance - I accidentally bought the wrong shoes and only discovered this two months later when my legs were killing me (New Balance 870 instead of 890 - easy mistake to make). Well I contacted them and had absolutely no problem trading them in for the right pair, even though I had worn them for two months. They were great.

Plus there is free return shipping, so I can order and try stuff without having to worry about return postage! I love that. I hate ordering clothes online and then having to worry about returning them if they don't fit - don't have that problem with running warehouse!

I have never purchased from the running warehouse. Is it a pretty safe site to use? I found my should almost half the cost!!!

I have purchased from them often for several years. Safe, reliable, free shipping both ways, good prices.

Maura

Congrats on signing up and making the commitment! Find a training plan and *stick to it*! I signed up for PHM without running a mile and finished upright :) I didn't stick to my plan fully and I wish I would have.

I would recommend not worrying too much about the weight on the scale, but more on your measurements. If you really want to lose weight, I would recommend counting calories with MyFitnessPal. It gave me a HUGE awareness of what I was actually eating and helps keep me on track every single day. I met with a nutritionist when I started training for PHM and before I set my daily calorie goal.

Good luck and again, congrats on taking the first step!

charmed1212 said:

Hello,
I have done my first half in 2012 and walked it at probably on the edge of that 16mm pace. Plus i was over hydrated and stopped 3 times to the portolets. :(

Lessons learned main thing for me is training for the endurance and control water intake. Stay hydrated but not too much. If Coach is on here he could maybe offer some advice.

Just keep going. You can do it! Im doing. The 10k too this time.

Colleen

Yes !!! I have bought many things from them before and never had any problems. They are great and for the most part super cheap. I just bought more shoes from them last week and they were $40 cheaper than the ones I bought a couple months ago at the running store.

I'm curious.. does anyone have the stats for the PHM, specifically how many entrants and how many crossed the finish line each year?

I'm curious.. does anyone have the stats for the PHM, specifically how many entrants and how many crossed the finish line each year?

I don't know about # of entrants, but you can find results through runDisney: http://www.rundisney.com/results/. If you check the 2012 results, it also pulls up through 2009.

ETA: Interesting - looks like 15,805 finishers in 2012 and 21,238 in 2013. That's a pretty big jump, no?!

ETA2: I'm only looking at the women's results...

I don't know about # of entrants, but you can find results through runDisney: http://www.rundisney.com/results/. If you check the 2012 results, it also pulls up through 2009.

ETA: Interesting - looks like 15,805 finishers in 2012 and 21,238 in 2013. That's a pretty big jump, no?!

ETA2: I'm only looking at the women's results...

Thanks! I see the following:

2013 - 21,238 women + 1,501 men = 22,739 participants (21,238 finishers)
2012 - 16,018 women + 1,12 men = 17,139 participants (15,805 finishers)
2011 - 13,348 women + 689 men = 14,037 participants
2010 - 11,091 women + 426 men = 11,517 participants
2009 - 6395 participants

So, does anyone know how many entrants were allowed for 2014?

Hello there! New to this particular board. I'll try to catch up with the 100+ pages here! :)

princess: Cast:
Princess Kelly - me, first Princess Half, third half marathon (Rock and Roll Savannah), multiple 5Ks and a handful of 10Ks. Have also run Expedition Everest Challenge
Princess Lisa - a friend of mine for most of my life and lives in North Georgia, she has run 3 half marathons, also multiple 10K/5K and no Disney races
Princess Christine - my son's teacher 5 years ago who became my best friend, third half marathon (RnR as well) and Expedition Everest Challenge partnered with me (we came in 16th out of 200+ teams)
Princess Becki - my ex-husband's wife and my son's stepmom, we have a unique 'modern family', this is her second half marathon (RnR once) and no Disney races

Training:
We are all right now ramping back up with 5K type training using Galloway's plan. We've all faced injuries so we're trying the walk/run method this time. We are using his Princess Half training program for Intermediate 18 week.

Costumes:
We will probably be surrounded by Team Sparkle skirts, and that's ok! We all have different colored skirts with multi-colored wings. We thought about doing characters but decided to take a more simple approach.

Accommodations:
This is where I need help!:confused3 Not quite sure where to stay. Please let me know your suggestion of both a value and moderate resort. No deluxe as that will probably be outside our budget.

Looking forward to training and meeting some new running friends!

I have ordered from them a few times and not had any problems - great prices and speedy delivery! They also have a 90-day trial period when you can return the shoes even if you have worn them outside. I haven't had to use it, but I love to have that option when making a purchase.

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

Thanks for all the positive feedback regarding the running warehouse. Looks like I will be buying another pair of shoes :)

So, I just had quite a back and forth with booking a resort reservation for this! Are there discounted packages for those participating? Are they only at particular resorts? Here's why I ask...

I called the sports line, and all the prices he quoted me were the same as the full price rack rates on wdw.com. I asked about a discount and he said there wasn't one, but I should call the regular Disney booking line to check on PIN codes/AP discounts/etc... Well, I have a PIN and an AP, so I hung up and called the Disney line. The guy immediately stopped me and said if I was in the race I should talk to the sports line because there are discounted packages :confused3 So......he transferred me to the sports line and I explained the whole thing again to the new person who told me that there aren't discounted packages :confused3 so she transferred me BACK to the Disney line who gave me some quotes with my PIN code. Geesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter