Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that its impossible to buy merchandise at the expo, bc of crowds. Do you know if they offer the same merchandise somewhere online and if so, where and when will they begin selling?

I need to rant about this for a minute! :mad:
So when SW released the rest of the Feb 2014 dates earlier this week, I checked out a roundtrip BUF-MCO trip with the Wanna Get Away fares and it was $164 per person each way for a total of $655 for my dad and myself roundtrip. This was an acceptable price but I don't have the cashflow at the moment so I was gonna wait for my new Visa billing cycle which starts next Tuesday and book the flights then. I've been checking SW every day to make sure the flights don't sell out, and tonight I go check and for our return flight (March 1st) there are NO flights available under WGA fare, and it says "more advance purchase required"...:headache: WHAT?!!? The only return flight fares available are ~$400 per person! :eek: The WGA fare on the way THERE however dropped to $135 per person so I booked it tonight because I didn't want to lose out on THAT too!
So then I checked other airlines for a return flight, and JetBlue has a good one that comes out to $302 for both of us, which I'm fine with, and they are claiming "only 2 seats left at this price" but when I get to the seat selection page practically the WHOLE plane is available seating!!! I don't get it. Why are airlines so complicated and sneaky!?

Does anyone have any insight into SW's "more advance purchase required" message???
I know it's still super early but I would love to book the flights asap so I don't have to worry about them! My flights budget was $650 including baggage and I'm really hoping I won't have to adjust that...

Did you try looking at the site with your browser in a private session/incognito mode? I don't know if it'll help with your situation, but I heard that they sometimes increase the prices if you keep checking back so I tried it out. Ended up getting my tickets almost $100 cheaper!

I read somewhere that its impossible to buy merchandise at the expo, bc of crowds. Do you know if they offer the same merchandise somewhere online and if so, where and when will they begin selling?

Oh no!! That's one of the things I am most excited about getting to do! I love me some swag :thumbsup2

So when SW released the rest of the Feb 2014 dates earlier this week, I checked out a roundtrip BUF-MCO trip with the Wanna Get Away fares and it was $164 per person each way for a total of $655 for my dad and myself roundtrip. This was an acceptable price but I don't have the cashflow at the moment so I was gonna wait for my new Visa billing cycle which starts next Tuesday and book the flights then. I've been checking SW every day to make sure the flights don't sell out, and tonight I go check and for our return flight (March 1st) there are NO flights available under WGA fare, and it says "more advance purchase required"...:headache: WHAT?!!? The only return flight fares available are ~$400 per person! :eek: The WGA fare on the way THERE however dropped to $135 per person so I booked it tonight because I didn't want to lose out on THAT too!
So then I checked other airlines for a return flight, and JetBlue has a good one that comes out to $302 for both of us, which I'm fine with, and they are claiming "only 2 seats left at this price" but when I get to the seat selection page practically the WHOLE plane is available seating!!! I don't get it. Why are airlines so complicated and sneaky!?

Does anyone have any insight into SW's "more advance purchase required" message???
I know it's still super early but I would love to book the flights asap so I don't have to worry about them! My flights budget was $650 including baggage and I'm really hoping I won't have to adjust that...

DH flies for SWA so he can provide some help though he would say he just flies the plane ! EVERY airline sells only so many seats at a certain price and even more so at a sale price (think grocery stores who limit you to only 2 per purchase or say limited to stock on hand). So yes the seat selection can show the plane virtually empty but the airlines want to sell the remaining seats at a higher price to last minute travelers. flying around holidays and during the summer are more expensive with the exception that if you can fly on the actually holiday it can be cheaper (fly on thanksgiving day). PHM weekend is generally around president's day weekend a big mid winter break so yes...higher pricing.

I will say SWA is generally pretty good about if the price drops on your exact flights at a later date they will give you an airline credit.

Orlando (or in airline lingo MCO which stands for mouse company) is a busy market and planes are always full. We bought tickets on our own airline for the PHM this year since all flights were oversold out of San Antonio.

Hope this helps !

It's not impossible but you have to be patient. I wouldn't bring LOs along. Go early though b/c vendors do sell out.

Orlando (or in airline lingo MCO which stands for mouse company) is a busy market and planes are always full.

That's cute! I've only known it as McCoy as it's former name but have never seen it called mouse company.

11point5 said:

You could look at flying out of Rochester its like 308 per person from thurs to Monday. Also, usually if there are only 2 seats left, they will open another route and prices drop. I was in the same boat it was like over 300 to fly (in November), a few weeks later they opened a nonstop at 222 roundtrip.

We're still trying to iron out the best resort option for us. We're only doing the 5K (like I mentioned previously,) so where does the race begin? Is bus transportation to the start the only option? We're considering staying on the monorail, but I was told on the Poly thread that the monorail doesn't transport you to the 5K start. Where is the start in relation to the EPCOT entrance? We're also considering BC or BWI, but we couldn't walk to the start from there, right? Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around where the race begins (I know where it ends.) Thanks!

So another Airline story....after having to cancel my NY marathon trip last year, Delta gave me credit for the ticket (medical reasons--no change fee). It was set to expire tomorrow, and they kept telling me that I would have to complete travel by tomorrow. They even said the same thing today. So I looked at booking my ticket online and lo and behold, the credit seemed to apply. Only I couldn't do it online, because of the "special condition". So I call up again, literally minutes after them telling me I couldn't use it past tomorrow and just pretended like I'm booking my Orlando flight and they applied the credit!

So instead of $351 (which I wouldn't have paid--would have kept looking), I paid $170 (they still stuck me with a $25 agent fee, but I didn't want to press my luck).

So now I guess I should tell my DH that I'm going!

Maura

Another thought... are you trying to book together? I know on my last flight, I had to book dh, dd and I separate. If I put in 3 travelers, the rate per flight was higher. If I put in one at a time... voila... cheaper.

Great question - I was wondering the same!

We're still trying to iron out the best resort option for us. We're only doing the 5K (like I mentioned previously,) so where does the race begin? Is bus transportation to the start the only option? We're considering staying on the monorail, but I was told on the Poly thread that the monorail doesn't transport you to the 5K start. Where is the start in relation to the EPCOT entrance? We're also considering BC or BWI, but we couldn't walk to the start from there, right? Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around where the race begins (I know where it ends.) Thanks!

Hi again! Here's the final race instructions for the 5K last year, in case that's helpful: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/princess/5KKidsFRI.pdf

Although things can change from year to year, I've been reviewing the final race instructions for each race to get an idea of what to expect before we get our 2014 instructions.

This site also contains a nice description of the course from last year: http://***********************/rundisney/rundisney-mickey-minnie-mouse-royal-family-5k-course-map/ (oops - that doesn't work - just google healthy disney guide!)

Hope that helps, but it's only based on my research, not personal experience. Hopefully an experienced Disney runner can come along and provide us with more info!

Hi again! Here's the final race instructions for the 5K last year, in case that's helpful: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/princess/5KKidsFRI.pdf

Although things can change from year to year, I've been reviewing the final race instructions for each race to get an idea of what to expect before we get our 2014 instructions.

This site also contains a nice description of the course from last year: http://***********************/rundisney/rundisney-mickey-minnie-mouse-royal-family-5k-course-map/ (oops - that doesn't work - just google healthy disney guide!)

Hope that helps, but it's only based on my research, not personal experience. Hopefully an experienced Disney runner can come along and provide us with more info!

Thanks so much! Reading the info page from last year helps. It looks like if you took the monorail you could walk to the starting line since it begins in the EPCOT parking lot, however, it does say NO monorail, so bus it is! I suppose if we're at BWI or BC then we could just walk back afterwards. We're planning on doing the breakfast in the park right after the race, so hopefully they'd let us walk back through the IG to get back to our resort. Thanks for always being so helpful! I'm such a newbie when it comes to the Disney races, but I'm super excited!

Congrats on signing up and making the commitment! Find a training plan and *stick to it*! I signed up for PHM without running a mile and finished upright :) I didn't stick to my plan fully and I wish I would have.

I would recommend not worrying too much about the weight on the scale, but more on your measurements. If you really want to lose weight, I would recommend counting calories with MyFitnessPal. It gave me a HUGE awareness of what I was actually eating and helps keep me on track every single day. I met with a nutritionist when I started training for PHM and before I set my daily calorie goal.

Good luck and again, congrats on taking the first step!

Thank you for the encouragement and advice! :)

Hello,
I have done my first half in 2012 and walked it at probably on the edge of that 16mm pace. Plus i was over hydrated and stopped 3 times to the portolets. :(

Lessons learned main thing for me is training for the endurance and control water intake. Stay hydrated but not too much. If Coach is on here he could maybe offer some advice.

Just keep going. You can do it! Im doing. The 10k too this time.

Colleen

Thank you! I have never run a race where I had to keep a set pace so I am really nervous! Good luck with your training!

You just signed up yesterday?? I checked the website a few weeks ago and it said the 10K was sold out! We're going to book the 5K today, but we'd rather do the 10K.

No I signed up the first day it came out within a few hours. Just posted here recently. :)

It's not impossible but you have to be patient. I wouldn't bring LOs along. Go early though b/c vendors do sell out.
Totally agree - I brought my DS in 2012 and he got real bored real fast. Last year was just a hot mess of crowdedness and lines because if the CSR location. I expect things to he more manageable back at WWOS.

The 5K starts in an EP parking lot. Can't walk there from BWI/BC, but you can walk back to them after the race once the park opens if you don't mind using a day's park admission.

I have to say I have been totally bummed that they are not offering park ticket discounts this year. :sad2: When DH and I did the race in 2010, the discounts on resort and tickets made it that much more fun!! :woohoo:

Being a DVC owner, I will be using points so it won't feel like money out of my pocket for the resort :rolleyes1, but I was totally bummed when I saw that the end of February is almost as many points as the holiday/peak season!! :eek: :confused3 DD21 and I are splitting the stay between two resorts (2 nights each) we've never stayed at, so that will be cool to enjoy time there.

I am not a runner, so this race is my excuse to get to WDW and get myself in shape while planning, but I guess I'll only be doing one park and try to focus on finishing the race princess: (and not being swept!) as the main purpose of this trip. :lmao:

(I hope I didn't offend anyone who is an avid racer)

Ooooo... keep me posted. I'm curious how this would work.

Sorry it took me so long to post an update! I tried experimenting with plain coffee, coffee with coconut oil, and coffee with MCT oil.

I felt like the coffee with MTC oil worked best for me. I had a shot of expresso, 1 tbsp of MCT oil, and a little almond milk about 45 minutes before my run. I felt pretty good on days I used it and saw a slight boost in pace. Additionally, while I usually have stomach pains on morning runs (both from not eating and from eating too soon before running) I didn't have any pains while having the coffee drink when I first woke up!

I don't know if it's for everyone but I've liked using it so far

The 5K starts in an EP parking lot. Can't walk there from BWI/BC, but you can walk back to them after the race once the park opens if you don't mind using a day's park admission.

Yes, thank you, I was aware that we couldn't walk TO the race, however, I'm trying to figure out how we'd use a day's park admission to walk back after the race. I see that the race ends in the parking lot, and we'd be attending the breakfast which is back in the park. Do you have to use your park admission to get back in for the breakfast? If not, couldn't we just exit out the IG after the breakfast? It's really not a big deal, except that we chose to forego the hopper since it's just a short trip, so we'd have to make that our EPCOT day if that's the case. Thanks!

Yes, thank you, I was aware that we couldn't walk TO the race, however, I'm trying to figure out how we'd use a day's park admission to walk back after the race. I see that the race ends in the parking lot, and we'd be attending the breakfast which is back in the park. Do you have to use your park admission to get back in for the breakfast? If not, couldn't we just exit out the IG after the breakfast? It's really not a big deal, except that we chose to forego the hopper since it's just a short trip, so we'd have to make that our EPCOT day if that's the case. Thanks!

Gotcha. According to runD, the Princess breakfast is in the Family Reunion area, which wasn't in EP previous years; it's in the parking lot. So you'd for sure need to use tix to go through EP.

I booked our flights on Monday when they were released and thought they seemed a bit high at $151 each way. I was hoping for them to go down! Now I see the March 1st return flight has jumped up to $440... :scared1: Yikes! Hope you find something more affordable. That is insane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter