• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see an Official 10K thread, so I thought I would post here. Signed up for the 10K the first day. I always wanted to do the half but could never get the courage to train. I saw the 10K and had to jump on it.

I am really nervous because of the time per mile. I am just barely making it under the 16 minute mark in training and I so desperately want to finish that race. If any one has any stories/help on training and weight loss, that would be great. :)

I love Disney and am looking forward to this run. Happy to be taking the journey with you all. :)

You just signed up yesterday?? I checked the website a few weeks ago and it said the 10K was sold out! We're going to book the 5K today, but we'd rather do the 10K.

Thanks! I see the following:

2013 - 21,238 women + 1,501 men = 22,739 participants (21,238 finishers)
2012 - 16,018 women + 1,12 men = 17,139 participants (15,805 finishers)
2011 - 13,348 women + 689 men = 14,037 participants
2010 - 11,091 women + 426 men = 11,517 participants
2009 - 6395 participants

So, does anyone know how many entrants were allowed for 2014?
I believe runDisney has said they reduced the cap - but I can't remember by how much. 1200? 2400?

WOWSA, look how much participation has jumped since 2009! :scared1:

Accommodations:
This is where I need help!:confused3 Not quite sure where to stay. Please let me know your suggestion of both a value and moderate resort. No deluxe as that will probably be outside our budget.
I honestly don't feel that any one resort is best for PHM, specifically; they all offer race transportation, so it's mostly a matter of price and aesthetics. FWIW, CBR and CSR have been my go-to moderates for years, but I stayed at the newly renovated POR this summer and it was really, really nice! :thumbsup2 One trip we spent in the Alligator Bayou section and the other was in Magnolia Bend - loved both rooms and locations.

So, I just had quite a back and forth with booking a resort reservation for this! Are there discounted packages for those participating?
As I understand it, they are NOT offering race discounts on resorts this year. They have in the past and do for some other races, so I'm guessing that's where the confusion came in with the Disney reps.

I'll be waiting on AP rates... it'll be a looong wait. ;) But they've been much better than anything runDisney has offered on discounts, so you're not missing out!

As I understand it, they are NOT offering race discounts on resorts this year. They have in the past and do for some other races, so I'm guessing that's where the confusion came in with the Disney reps.

I'll be waiting on AP rates... it'll be a looong wait. ;) But they've been much better than anything runDisney has offered on discounts, so you're not missing out!

Gotcha! Thank you! That would explain why the "normal" CM wasn't in the loop, but the "sports" CMs were! :thumbsup2 I have an AP too, so I'll probably book with our PIN code and then call when AP rates are released if they're better. The problem is, the PIN code is for a PACKAGE and has to be 3 days or more, so technically, the AP discount would be a better deal for us since I'd have to buy 3 days of tickets I don't really "need."

Hello there! New to this particular board. I'll try to catch up with the 100+ pages here! :)

Accommodations:
This is where I need help!:confused3 Not quite sure where to stay. Please let me know your suggestion of both a value and moderate resort. No deluxe as that will probably be outside our budget.

Looking forward to training and meeting some new running friends!

Hello and welcome!! This will be my first PHM, and I had a tough time with resort choice, too. So take this all with a grain of salt because, although I've stayed in many resorts in many different categories, I haven't done the PHM yet.

If I were selecting among values, it would be AOA because it's so new. If I were choosing among mods, I'd consider POFQ because of the small size and relatively relaxing atmosphere for a mod (plus one of the least chaotic food courts at WDW!) But I might go with Coronado Springs based on the bedding - not a fan of the bedspread style at POFQ but CSR updated their bedding a while ago and that would mean a much more comfy night's sleep!

I just booked Poly this morning at some crazy high rates, with the hope that we'll see a discount later this fall/winter for our PHM dates!

Good luck with your decision!

Have any of you run a Disney Half Marathon (PHM or otherwise) without your cell phone? When I run long distances (or even short distances) I just keep running - if I walk or stop, I get out of sorts. I'm not really into texting or live reporting, I won't be taking photos, my husband and kids will use runner tracking to see me at TTC/Poly/finish, and I plan to meet them in the family reunion area at a designated letter. I also don't like anything around my waist (like the spi belts) or on my arm, and although many of my running shirts have a back pocket, I tried running with my cell phone in there and it bounces - blech!

OK - so those are the reasons I'd like to leave the phone behind, but if it's really important, I'll keep looking for some way to carry it. (Windows smart phone - 4.5 x 3.5 inches.) Thoughts about just how important it is, given the circumstances? If important, ideas of how to carry it?

Have any of you run a Disney Half Marathon (PHM or otherwise) without your cell phone? When I run long distances (or even short distances) I just keep running - if I walk or stop, I get out of sorts. I'm not really into texting or live reporting, I won't be taking photos, my husband and kids will use runner tracking to see me at TTC/Poly/finish, and I plan to meet them in the family reunion area at a designated letter. I also don't like anything around my waist (like the spi belts) or on my arm, and although many of my running shirts have a back pocket, I tried running with my cell phone in there and it bounces - blech!

OK - so those are the reasons I'd like to leave the phone behind, but if it's really important, I'll keep looking for some way to carry it. (Windows smart phone - 4.5 x 3.5 inches.) Thoughts about just how important it is, given the circumstances? If important, ideas of how to carry it?

I never run with mine...race or training. It would be too tempting to give up on a bad run and just call someone to pick me up :) For Disney races, if I'm planning to take pictures, I bring a small digital camera, and if I'm running alone, I've never had a problem finding whoever I need to meet up with at the family reunion area. There are letters of the alphabet posted...just pre-plan with your friends/family what letter's area you'll meet up in. If you can't find any reason you would need it personally, then I'd say it's definitely not necessary!

I have run 5 PHM and 2 WDW marathons without a phone. I often don't carry one on long runs either. I have carried a small point and shot camera.

I am SO happy to have found this thread!
New runner here! this will be my first race!
Currently using the Jeff Galloway run/walk training method!

Is anyone doing or has anyone done the race retreat? is it worth the $$ ?

thanks!
happy training!

Xxoo Christina

I have run 5 PHM and 2 WDW marathons without a phone. I often don't carry one on long runs either. I have carried a small point and shot camera.

Hello and welcome!! This will be my first PHM, and I had a tough time with resort choice, too. So take this all with a grain of salt because, although I've stayed in many resorts in many different categories, I haven't done the PHM yet.

If I were selecting among values, it would be AOA because it's so new. If I were choosing among mods, I'd consider POFQ because of the small size and relatively relaxing atmosphere for a mod (plus one of the least chaotic food courts at WDW!) But I might go with Coronado Springs based on the bedding - not a fan of the bedspread style at POFQ but CSR updated their bedding a while ago and that would mean a much more comfy night's sleep!

I just booked Poly this morning at some crazy high rates, with the hope that we'll see a discount later this fall/winter for our PHM dates!

Good luck with your decision!

The EXPO is at Coronado, right? I was thinking about staying there so it would be so convenient, but in turn, it could also be mayhem there! Our first choice was the Poly or Beach Club and hope for great discounts too, but from what I've seen, the best AP rate is normally 20-30% and that still probably wouldn't put it low enough for us. Plus, if we stay at a mod, I can spend more on swag! ;)

I (obviously) was very pleased with the price. It's from Providence. It is school vacation week for us, ending the Sunday of the race. But we are not flying ideal times.

I"m flying out of PVD as well! Leaving Thur evening and coming home Monday late in order to get the best pricing. Like you said times could be
better but I'll watch and see if other flights drop.

The EXPO is at Coronado, right? I was thinking about staying there so it would be so convenient, but in turn, it could also be mayhem there! Our first choice was the Poly or Beach Club and hope for great discounts too, but from what I've seen, the best AP rate is normally 20-30% and that still probably wouldn't put it low enough for us. Plus, if we stay at a mod, I can spend more on swag! ;)

No, the expo is at WWoS. It was at Coronado last year because of a conflict with spring training but is back at WWoS based on the info at runDisney.

No, the expo is at WWoS. It was at Coronado last year because of a conflict with spring training but is back at WWoS based on the info at runDisney.

Thank you so much!! I don't know what I saw that said Coronado? Maybe it was something old from last year!

I need to rant about this for a minute! :mad:
So when SW released the rest of the Feb 2014 dates earlier this week, I checked out a roundtrip BUF-MCO trip with the Wanna Get Away fares and it was $164 per person each way for a total of $655 for my dad and myself roundtrip. This was an acceptable price but I don't have the cashflow at the moment so I was gonna wait for my new Visa billing cycle which starts next Tuesday and book the flights then. I've been checking SW every day to make sure the flights don't sell out, and tonight I go check and for our return flight (March 1st) there are NO flights available under WGA fare, and it says "more advance purchase required"...:headache: WHAT?!!? The only return flight fares available are ~$400 per person! :eek: The WGA fare on the way THERE however dropped to $135 per person so I booked it tonight because I didn't want to lose out on THAT too!
So then I checked other airlines for a return flight, and JetBlue has a good one that comes out to $302 for both of us, which I'm fine with, and they are claiming "only 2 seats left at this price" but when I get to the seat selection page practically the WHOLE plane is available seating!!! I don't get it. Why are airlines so complicated and sneaky!?

Does anyone have any insight into SW's "more advance purchase required" message???
I know it's still super early but I would love to book the flights asap so I don't have to worry about them! My flights budget was $650 including baggage and I'm really hoping I won't have to adjust that...

I never run with mine...race or training. It would be too tempting to give up on a bad run and just call someone to pick me up :) For Disney races, if I'm planning to take pictures, I bring a small digital camera, and if I'm running alone, I've never had a problem finding whoever I need to meet up with at the family reunion area. There are letters of the alphabet posted...just pre-plan with your friends/family what letter's area you'll meet up in. If you can't find any reason you would need it personally, then I'd say it's definitely not necessary!

Excellent! I'm going to leave the phone behind - if two experienced Disney runners go without, then I'll be just fine! Thanks so much!! :)

Last year, deluxe resorts were 35%-40% off deluxe around that time, so I'm hoping for the same. We often travel to WDW in January and February, and while 40% is becoming more rare, we're usually able to get at least 35% off deluxe. In any event, the expo is supposed to be at WWoS in 2014, and I do think CSR would be a great mod for PHM weekend!

Does anyone have any insight into SW's "more advance purchase required" message???
I know it's still super early but I would love to book the flights asap so I don't have to worry about them! My flights budget was $650 including baggage and I'm really hoping I won't have to adjust that...

We book on SW all the time, and I can't figure them out. Some fares have been amazing and others have been terrible. And they change moment to moment. I do like the fact that if a fare decreases, we can change our reservation with no penalty and "bank" the difference in fare as a credit to use on a future flight. We booked at $310 rt per person, but we've seen as low as $150 rt pp - although those days may be long gone. I'd keep checking back on the website - doesn't seem to be a reason or even a pattern sometimes. Good luck! :)

We book on SW all the time, and I can't figure them out. Some fares have been amazing and others have been terrible. And they change moment to moment. I do like the fact that if a fare decreases, we can change our reservation with no penalty and "bank" the difference in fare as a credit to use on a future flight. We booked at $310 rt per person, but we've seen as low as $150 rt pp - although those days may be long gone. I'd keep checking back on the website - doesn't seem to be a reason or even a pattern sometimes. Good luck! :)

Thanks for your helpful reply! :) Glad to know I'm not the only one who is perplexed by SW! $150 pp rt, wow wouldn't that be nice!!:rotfl2: I guess I'll continue checking for a decent price everyday just in case, and if nothing comes up with SW I'll book JetBlue when I have the money!

So when SW released the rest of the Feb 2014 dates earlier this week, I checked out a roundtrip BUF-MCO trip with the Wanna Get Away fares and it was $164 per person each way for a total of $655 for my dad and myself roundtrip. This was an acceptable price but I don't have the cashflow at the moment so I was gonna wait for my new Visa billing cycle which starts next Tuesday and book the flights then. I've been checking SW every day to make sure the flights don't sell out, and tonight I go check and for our return flight (March 1st) there are NO flights available under WGA fare, and it says "more advance purchase required"...:headache: WHAT?!!? The only return flight fares available are ~$400 per person! :eek: The WGA fare on the way THERE however dropped to $135 per person so I booked it tonight because I didn't want to lose out on THAT too!
So then I checked other airlines for a return flight, and JetBlue has a good one that comes out to $302 for both of us, which I'm fine with, and they are claiming "only 2 seats left at this price" but when I get to the seat selection page practically the WHOLE plane is available seating!!! I don't get it. Why are airlines so complicated and sneaky!?

SW was all over the place today. I got what i think are very good prices at acceptable but not ideal times. So I plan to watch sales and try to change my flight times if possible. I had a quiet day today and as a result I checked prices a couple of times. This am my preferred outbound flight was the same as the day I bought my tickets, about $70 more pp than I paid. My preferred return was more than id originally seen. Them around midday I checked again. My desired departure dropped to what I paid, $104. My desired return (which is the one I'd really like to change) was back to the original price, but still significantly more than mine. I wanted to check with DH. He is flying down separate, but on the same return. By the time I got the ok a few hours later to change the outbound the wanna get away fares were all gone. Now my $104 flight is only available as a $456 flight! Crazy. I do think there was a sale ending today though. I believe there will be more sales between now and late fall, and am still hopeful. But I am totally befuddled as to what happened with those airfares today. There seems no rhyme or reason. JetBlue for me is over $600 pp outbound, 200 for the return. But I won't fly them unless i am desperate anyway. I have kids with a tendency to get very sick at vacation time, and they charge a huge change fee. Lost over $400 and learned this the hard way once. Southwest makes you pay the fare difference. JetBlue is the fare difference plus the $75-150 change fee.

My lesson today - not to be indecisive;). my DH and I discussed the flights we have and what I want. He's away in London on business so didn't know the details yet. Now, if I see a dip in price for the flights I want I'll be ready to jump on it. Good luck in getting your flights. The prices dips/raises seem random to me, but I am guessing there are some reasons.

I really wish I could get back to training so I could stop fixating on all these details. My injury has me on near total rest which is boring. but exercise always clears my mind, so the forced rest also takes that away from my daily routine. Now I just worry about all the details I can do something about, since I can't do anything about my running right now:( Very frustrating.

I'm not sure what is going on with SW! I mean...they just released the dates. How can all of the WGA flights be gone for my return day?

Keep checking back, they will reduce more wanna get away fares. Jet Blue almost always said there are only a few seats left at the price but I don't think its true. I think they want you to commit. I would keep watching both airlines and book when the price goes down to something you can live with, atleast you can get a credit on both those airlines if the price drops again!

Last year, deluxe resorts were 35%-40% off deluxe around that time, so I'm hoping for the same. We often travel to WDW in January and February, and while 40% is becoming more rare, we're usually able to get at least 35% off deluxe. In any event, the expo is supposed to be at WWoS in 2014, and I do think CSR would be a great mod for PHM weekend!
)

Thanks so much! We have never gone at this time of year because I'm a teacher, but I'm hoping we can find a way to make it work. It's good to know there are frequently good discounts at that time! My husband wasn't a big fan of CSR when we last stayed there, so if the EXPO isn't being held there it probably won't make the cut, haha! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter