Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to walk... !!!

Anyone know the date that Disney Visa members can register? Will it be announced, do we just have to keep checking the website, or will there be a special link for card members? Thanks!

for what it's worth...I'm not a run/walker, but I put in what I'm pretty sure my magic mile would be in galloway's calculator out of curiosity. the 10k time it spit out for me was slower then the 10k split I hit in my half last weekend, the half time it spit out for me was about 5 minutes slower then my half time, and the full time it spit out for me was slow enough that it would leave me heartbroken over full marathon coming this fall (because I believe I could run at least 30 seconds per mile faster then the pace it gave me, and that's before I start marathon training and the torture chamber...err i mean intense speedwork...that I know my coach will put me through)

So just like any other calculator, it can be a good place to start, but no online calculator is the end all, be all, and what works for person a, does not work for person b.

mmgrdg said:
I'm hoping to walk... !!!

Anyone know the date that Disney Visa members can register? Will it be announced, do we just have to keep checking the website, or will there be a special link for card members? Thanks!

I second this question.... :)

fashionista311 said:
for what it's worth...I'm not a run/walker, but I put in what I'm pretty sure my magic mile would be in galloway's calculator out of curiosity. the 10k time it spit out for me was slower then the 10k split I hit in my half last weekend, the half time it spit out for me was about 5 minutes slower then my half time, and the full time it spit out for me was slow enough that it would leave me heartbroken over full marathon coming this fall (because I believe I could run at least 30 seconds per mile faster then the pace it gave me, and that's before I start marathon training and the torture chamber...err i mean intense speedwork...that I know my coach will put me through)

So just like any other calculator, it can be a good place to start, but no online calculator is the end all, be all, and what works for person a, does not work for person b.

I think you are misinterpreting the magic mile and Galloway calculator. I can run a 630 mm but there's no way I can maintain this pace for even a 5k. MM is max effort and an average of 4 TTs. I think you would be suprised how accurate of a predictor it has been for those who use the Galloway method through their entire training process. Plugging in a guestimate won't work. I've actually dropped my 1/2, full, and goofy times significantly using this method. My 5 & 10k times not so much. I race the way I train. Each runner has to do what works for them. There are so many options available which is fabulous for the running community.

AHHHHH I just signed up for my first 10k!!! June 8th! :eek: I wanted to push myself to squeeze a timed race in before PHM registration on the 11th, but that only gives me 4 weeks to train! I was planning to follow the "Bridge to 10k" program, which is 6 weeks...so I think I might just cut out 1 or 2 runs each week to condense it down to 4 weeks? Does that sound like it would be feasible?:scratchin Not only do I feel kinda tight for training time, but I'm also wondering if I'll have enough time to figure out a fuel method that works best for me! Any advice on where to start with fuel options?! I know every person is different and will have different things that work best, but there are a bajillion options and I don't know what to buy first. :confused3 Should I just go out and pick one and see how it goes and then if it doesn't work out pick another one..? I'm guessing there would be some things that are more intended for longer distances (half or full marathons) and others for shorter ones (like a 10k)? I don't have any allergies to worry about so that might be in my favour I guess.
Heading out for a run RIGHT NOW! :thumbsup2

I think you are misinterpreting the magic mile and Galloway calculator. I can run a 630 mm but there's no way I can maintain this pace for even a 5k. MM is max effort and an average of 4 TTs. I think you would be suprised how accurate of a predictor it has been for those who use the Galloway method through their entire training process. Plugging in a guestimate won't work. I've actually dropped my 1/2, full, and goofy times significantly using this method. My 5 & 10k times not so much. I race the way I train. Each runner has to do what works for them. There are so many options available which is fabulous for the running community.

I do alot of speedwork, so generally I have an idea of what I can do. I'm much more of an endurance runner than a speed runner, so I don't really lose a ton of speed across distances(relatively - obviously my 5K is faster than my marathon, but still) Finding leg speed is what I struggle with, and none of my shorter races ever accurately predict my longer distance races. I think I'll run a sub 4 marathon before I'll run a sub 25 5k :lmao:

My family got me Entry into the Glass Slipper Challenge for Mother's Day! I am out of this world excited!!!!!

While at Disney swapping out our APs for the new RFID card, I was told early registration for AP would be 6/4 with Disney Visa the following day. If you have the new RFID AP card, you have to call to register. You can't register the new cards on the passholder landing site.

While at Disney swapping out our APs for the new RFID card, I was told early registration for AP would be 6/4 with Disney Visa the following day. If you have the new RFID AP card, you have to call to register. You can't register the new cards on the passholder landing site.

Did they happen to mention anything about DVC members getting early registration? I have an RFID AP and I'm afraid I'll have trouble getting through on the phone. I'd like to try DVC online, that would get me a $10 discount too, but since I tend to have trouble with the DVC website stalling I could be dialing or on hold with the annual pass holder phone line at the same time. Also do you know if they only have so many slots for early registration? Or Is it possible it will sell out then? I'm sorry worried about not being able to register and its still weeks away. I can only imagine my nerves 24 hours before;)

I do alot of speedwork, so generally I have an idea of what I can do. I'm much more of an endurance runner than a speed runner, so I don't really lose a ton of speed across distances(relatively - obviously my 5K is faster than my marathon, but still) Finding leg speed is what I struggle with, and none of my shorter races ever accurately predict my longer distance races. I think I'll run a sub 4 marathon before I'll run a sub 25 5k :lmao:

I'm a bit confused by your response. The MM would be all out effort. If you're doing speedwork, your 200, 400, 800 or 1600 pace would certainly be faster than your LD pace. This is confusing me. Galloway roughly adds 2mins/mile to your MM time to calculate average pace/mile LD when you add in the walk break. This is a predictive value not an absolute.

I'd love a sub-4 marathon but first I have to break through the darn 2 hour 1/2 barrier. Grrr..... this fall.... I'm on it!

My family got me Entry into the Glass Slipper Challenge for Mother's Day! I am out of this world excited!!!!!

Woohoo! Welcome! I can't wait to see the GSC medal.

Did they happen to mention anything about DVC members getting early registration? I have an RFID AP and I'm afraid I'll have trouble getting through on the phone. I'd like to try DVC online, that would get me a $10 discount too, but since I tend to have trouble with the DVC website stalling I could be dialing or on hold with the annual pass holder phone line at the same time. Also do you know if they only have so many slots for early registration? Or Is it possible it will sell out then? I'm sorry worried about not being able to register and its still weeks away. I can only imagine my nerves 24 hours before;)

For the January marathon weekend registration, DVC and annual passholder registration opened the same day. There are limiting the # of early registrations. I too am going to be freaked out. I demanded to speak to 2 people before I was even willing to update my new card. I'm hopeful that if I can't get through on the phone line one of my friends who also has AP will share the link. FYI... I was told that if you're booking your travel over the phone you can add the race registration and avoid the active.com fees. I was told this after complaining about my crazy fees signing up for the Dopey.

I have a question that is similar to this (kind of the same). I have been gradually upping my mileage once a week, so I run 2-3 times a week a shorter run around 3-4 miles and some speed work. Then I do a longer run on the weekend. (longest so far was 6.2)

So, my question is, do I just keep going up? I would be half marathon ready before the end of the summer if I do that and I'm not sure I want to push it, I just want to build my base mileage. BUT, if I start a program in the fall, almost all the training I have found is going to have me going back to running 2 miles for the first couple weeks? I'm not sure I can do that! :lmao:

So do I do two half trainings back-to-back or what? Right now I'm just working on getting a really solid 10K time but not sure where to go after that or if I should just keep running all summer to get strong before I add more mileage?? :confused3

If that was confusing, sorry!

Thanks Jo! :goodvibes I'm pretty over the moon about it, I have races lined up for almost every month until then! 5K tomorrow morning! :thumbsup2

I didn't see if anyone answered this, but you can find training plans that will start you out at 3-4 mile short runs. Or, just maintain what you're doing, and start training at the point in the training plan you've selected where it matches what you're already doing. Just because the plan is made to get you half-marathon ready in X # weeks doesn't mean you have to follow it to a T, you know? The first half of a lot of plans is just getting you to build your endurance, and if you've already built it, it's not necessary to go back to the basics.

Does it work for Disneyland AP holders too? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of them on this.

I didn't see if anyone answered this, but you can find training plans that will start you out at 3-4 mile short runs. Or, just maintain what you're doing, and start training at the point in the training plan you've selected where it matches what you're already doing. Just because the plan is made to get you half-marathon ready in X # weeks doesn't mean you have to follow it to a T, you know? The first half of a lot of plans is just getting you to build your endurance, and if you've already built it, it's not necessary to go back to the basics.

Thank you! That's what I thought, but it made me feel like I will just be running with no plan for quite a while...which is probably a good thing anyway! :)

Happy Mothers Day! Gym report: 10K in 89min = personal best! What does PR mean. Also first time trying Nike+ app - pretty cool. Have to resort to something other than my iphone because the battery poops out :sad1:

Thank you! That's what I thought, but it made me feel like I will just be running with no plan for quite a while...which is probably a good thing anyway! :)

Yes! It sounds like you've gotten yourself up to a good enough maintenance run that you don't necessarily need a plan just yet!

Happy Mothers Day! Gym report: 10K in 89min = personal best! What does PR mean. Also first time trying Nike+ app - pretty cool. Have to resort to something other than my iphone because the battery poops out :sad1:

Congratulations! PR = personal record, same as personal best.

Re: your iphone, do you close all your apps? (double click the home button, all your open apps pop up on the bottom and you can press+hold them and close them out) It helps battery life to keep them closed, and won't affect your pop-up notifications.

fitmama2e said:
Does it work for Disneyland AP holders too? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of them on this.

Total guess based on the WDW January weekend but DL AP had early registration then and WDW AP had early registration for DL weekend.

Ugh I hate waiting so much! So far the best info I've gotten on the early registration has been here, so thanks! I'm planning on signing up for the Glass Slipper Challenge and Tink and I can't believe how hyper I am about registration... Come on June 4th! :hyper:

Since last Princess, I've switched to straight running without walk intervals. I've gotten my long run back up to the 10k distance and I really want to do a "real" 10k race soon to get a better corral placement, but I can't find anything local anytime soon. Race season here is November through April and other than an annual July 4th 5k, there is nothing available without driving to Jax or Orlando. Anyone else having a hard time finding a 10k this time of year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter