Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just running! I can't believe it, I cried like a baby the first time I ran 5 miles straight...never thought I would be able to! I actually find running without stopping easier, my muscles seem to seize up when I try to walk?

That is awesome, you have come so very far. You have worked so hard!!! :)

I have a question for you experienced runners. Right now I am just running, nothing special about my training. But, I want to be well prepared and hopefully remain uninjured, so I am trying to pick a half marathon training program. Since I am hoping to do the GSC I am thinking of using the Dumbo Double Dare program which is 19 weeks. But I want to start earlier than 19 weeks out, so I can be ready to try some 10k races in the early fall to try to get a decent time. So, if I finish the 19 weeks early do I just keep doing the last week over and over? Or do I back off a week or two with the long runs and go more mid distance, and then back to the long? I'm a planner, and I feel like I need to find a good program I can stick to. Any other suggestions of programs other people are using or have tried are welcome. My other thought was to do a 10k training program and then the 19 week Dumbo program, but I haven't looked into 10k programs at all, so I don't know how they would compare or how it would be to stack them one after the other.

I have a question that is similar to this (kind of the same). I have been gradually upping my mileage once a week, so I run 2-3 times a week a shorter run around 3-4 miles and some speed work. Then I do a longer run on the weekend. (longest so far was 6.2)

So, my question is, do I just keep going up? I would be half marathon ready before the end of the summer if I do that and I'm not sure I want to push it, I just want to build my base mileage. BUT, if I start a program in the fall, almost all the training I have found is going to have me going back to running 2 miles for the first couple weeks? I'm not sure I can do that! :lmao:

So do I do two half trainings back-to-back or what? Right now I'm just working on getting a really solid 10K time but not sure where to go after that or if I should just keep running all summer to get strong before I add more mileage?? :confused3

If that was confusing, sorry!

That is awesome, you have come so very far. You have worked so hard!!! :)

Thanks Jo! :goodvibes I'm pretty over the moon about it, I have races lined up for almost every month until then! 5K tomorrow morning! :thumbsup2

I have a question that is similar to this (kind of the same). I have been gradually upping my mileage once a week, so I run 2-3 times a week a shorter run around 3-4 miles and some speed work. Then I do a longer run on the weekend. (longest so far was 6.2)

So, my question is, do I just keep going up? I would be half marathon ready before the end of the summer if I do that and I'm not sure I want to push it, I just want to build my base mileage. BUT, if I start a program in the fall, almost all the training I have found is going to have me going back to running 2 miles for the first couple weeks? I'm not sure I can do that! :lmao:

So do I do two half trainings back-to-back or what? Right now I'm just working on getting a really solid 10K time but not sure where to go after that or if I should just keep running all summer to get strong before I add more mileage?? :confused3

If that was confusing, sorry!

Thanks Jo! :goodvibes I'm pretty over the moon about it, I have races lined up for almost every month until then! 5K tomorrow morning! :thumbsup2

Good Luck at your 5K!

Sorry if I missed this being covered already, but do you have to know if you want to do the GSC when you initially sign up?

I was hoping I'd be able to sign up for the PHM when it opens and then see how training goes before adding on the 10K, but I'm guessing that'd cause too many issues if they let people do that!

Sorry if I missed this being covered already, but do you have to know if you want to do the GSC when you initially sign up?

I was hoping I'd be able to sign up for the PHM when it opens and then see how training goes before adding on the 10K, but I'm guessing that'd cause too many issues if they let people do that!

If registration works like Dumbo Double Dare, you have to sign up for the challenge as a whole...meaning on registration day you will have 3 options: the PHM, the 10k, or the Glass Slipper challenge. If you sign up for the PHM and 10k separately, you WILL NOT be eligible for the GSC medal. So, unfortunately you'll have to decide before registration. It will likely sell out lightning fast since it's an inaugural, so I wouldn't think you'd have time to decide if you wanted to run the 10k at a later date anyway. You can do it! :cheer2:

If registration works like Dumbo Double Dare, you have to sign up for the challenge as a whole...meaning on registration day you will have 3 options: the PHM, the 10k, or the Glass Slipper challenge. If you sign up for the PHM and 10k separately, you WILL NOT be eligible for the GSC medal. So, unfortunately you'll have to decide before registration. It will likely sell out lightning fast since it's an inaugural, so I wouldn't think you'd have time to decide if you wanted to run the 10k at a later date anyway. You can do it! :cheer2:

Hey Cripey! Hope we all get to register for the races we would like to do. For me, the GSC will be my last hurrah, that's if I get in.

Hey Cripey! Hope we all get to register for the races we would like to do. For me, the GSC will be my last hurrah, that's if I get in.

:wave2: My fingers will be at the ready as soon as registration opens! I have the Disney Visa debit, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get in on the early registration with that, but we'll see. I know this will go like crazy though. Right now, I'm about 95% sure I'm doing it...thought I might have a little planning snafu the other day that might have kept me from it, but I've since gotten most of it figured out and it looks like it's going to work out, just one more small detail to work out and I should be set. I can't shake the feeling that on PHM 2014 weekend I'll be shaking my head the whole time thinking "I said in 2013 wasn't doing this race again...." :faint:

Just running! I can't believe it, I cried like a baby the first time I ran 5 miles straight...never thought I would be able to! I actually find running without stopping easier, my muscles seem to seize up when I try to walk?

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the "ruining straight through easier than stopping". I too feel my muscles can continue on if I don't stop- but if I stop it is soooo hard to start up again. So the walk run doesn't so much work for me

:wave2: My fingers will be at the ready as soon as registration opens! I have the Disney Visa debit, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get in on the early registration with that, but we'll see. I know this will go like crazy though. Right now, I'm about 95% sure I'm doing it...thought I might have a little planning snafu the other day that might have kept me from it, but I've since gotten most of it figured out and it looks like it's going to work out, just one more small detail to work out and I should be set. I can't shake the feeling that on PHM 2014 weekend I'll be shaking my head the whole time thinking "I said in 2013 wasn't doing this race again...." :faint:

I have DV and AP, so here's hoping for something! I hear ya, I said the same thing after the 2013 PHM, no more..I'm done. Oh well, I figure I would just make a whole year of Disney runs.

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in the "ruining straight through easier than stopping". I too feel my muscles can continue on if I don't stop- but if I stop it is soooo hard to start up again. So the walk run doesn't so much work for me

lol, the walk/run is the only thing that keeps me going...I LIVE for that one minute walk break and so look forward to it during every run interval :lmao:

whatever works, right? ;)

I have trouble starting back up again too! But it's more mental - once I stop to walk I'm too tempted to stop again and again.

lol, the walk/run is the only thing that keeps me going...I LIVE for that one minute walk break and so look forward to it during every run interval :lmao:

whatever works, right? ;)

EXACTLY! Whatever works!!!

I have trouble starting back up again too! But it's more mental - once I stop to walk I'm too tempted to stop again and again.

:rolleyes1 mine may be as well. I know I struggle with mile three in my runs... and it IS mental. I am really working on not dropping pace during that third mile... but it still can get me.

EXACTLY! Whatever works!!!

:rolleyes1 mine may be as well. I know I struggle with mile three in my runs... and it IS mental. I am really working on not dropping pace during that third mile... but it still can get me.

My hard time is right around 2 miles! Why does it feel so hard at that point?:confused3

I hope they do a Disney Visa card pre sale too

lol, the walk/run is the only thing that keeps me going...I LIVE for that one minute walk break and so look forward to it during every run interval

As do I too! I'm still playing around with what is the right interval for me. Today I tried 1:1 running at 6.5 walking at 3.5. Prior I was doing 2:1 running at 6.0 and prior to that 3:1 running at 5.7. I'm still not sure what feels best. I think the 1:1 for short runs but the 3:1 for longer runs perhaps.

IleneF said:
As do I too! I'm still playing around with what is the right interval for me. Today I tried 1:1 running at 6.5 walking at 3.5. Prior I was doing 2:1 running at 6.0 and prior to that 3:1 running at 5.7. I'm still not sure what feels best. I think the 1:1 for short runs but the 3:1 for longer runs perhaps.

Galloway recs using your magic mile to determine your interval ratio.

IleneF said:

Galloway recs using your magic mile to determine your interval ratio. It should be the same ratio for short/long. You can just skip your later walk breaks if you're feeling good.

Galloway recs using your magic mile to determine your interval ratio. It should be the same ratio for short/long. You can just skip your later walk breaks if you're feeling good.

Yes I know. My most recent "magic mile" was 11min. So based on that I think I'm supposed to be doing 2.5 run/ 1 walk...BUT I'm not sure my overall fitness / endurance allows me to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter