Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a meet up happen for solo runners this year!:)

That would be great! I would love to have a meet up for the solo runners too!

I've read some not so stellar race reports from this year's Princess. I'm kind of hoping that they will scale back the general chaos a little bit.

I hope so too...if nothing else, I hope they really listen to the feedback the runners are giving and make the necessary adjustments.

This will be our first family trip to WDW, and I'm so looking forward to sharing the experience with my two sweet boys. Our three year old has special needs, and one of the reasons I started running again was to give him an example to never, ever give up. I can't wait until he sees me finish.

How exciting, a first family trip to WDW! I am a mom of 4 kids and I think your reason for running is beautiful :goodvibes

I am planning on doing the PHM. I am hoping that my friend will walk with me. I am currently working on getting my pace faster so that I have time for the important things like pictures and potty breaks. I joined moon joggers as part of my training plan. So far I have completed 159 miles of my 1000 mile commitment. In 41 days I will be doing my first practice half at Atlantic City. I might try another one in the fall. Vicki

I am hoping by doing the 5K that I can get some of the pictures out of the way and not feel the need to stop for "as many" on 1/2 marathon day.

I'll be running it with one of my bridesmaids. We will have custom shirts. I'm going to get a white running skirt and possibly bird cage veil too :).

What a fun bonding experience with your bridesmaid! And I think the idea of a white running skirt & bird cage veil is super cute!!

I'm in!!!! It will be me, dd and dsil.

I just did the 5K this past weekend at Disney to get one runDisney event under my belt.

A few ideas I have are to pack comfort things from home so that u get lots of good sleep. I brought my pillow and soft castle blanky.

Training runs in the middle of the night are a must. Trying to convince myself at 4am that I had to eat and drink was hard!!!

I cannot wait! I changed the name of my blog so that I can document the process.

I am a walk/runner. My PR for a mile is 14:43 but I'm more consistently a 16 min mile pace. I will be busting my butt improving on that for the next year.

If anyone has any questions for someone who has been to Princess weekend I'd be glad to try to answer. I only competed in the 5K but I spent lots of time at the expo.

Glad to be a part of this group!!!

I had to miss out this year but I'm crossing my fingers to be able to work out a trip for next year :goodvibes

I'm signed up for a HM in Thailand in June. I'm kind of excited, but also afraid, to see what my "real" HM time is - without any character stops!!

What a fun bonding experience with your bridesmaid! And I think the idea of a white running skirt & bird cage veil is super cute!!

When I say run thats partially where the shirts come in LOL. Mine will say "Coast to Coast to the Altar" on the back with "Disney Bride" on the front. Hers will say "Have you seen the Bride? Chasing the Bride to the Altar!" and "Disney Bridesmaid". My pace is about 1:30 to 2:00 faster than her per mile. I will wait for her to finish though. We've done several races like this. I finish and wait :).

CruiseBoundnKY said:
I'm in!!!! It will be me, dd and dsil.

I just did the 5K this past weekend at Disney to get one runDisney event under my belt.

A few ideas I have are to pack comfort things from home so that u get lots of good sleep. I brought my pillow and soft castle blanky.

Training runs in the middle of the night are a must. Trying to convince myself at 4am that I had to eat and drink was hard!!!

I cannot wait! I changed the name of my blog so that I can document the process.

I am a walk/runner. My PR for a mile is 14:43 but I'm more consistently a 16 min mile pace. I will be busting my butt improving on that for the next year.

If anyone has any questions for someone who has been to Princess weekend I'd be glad to try to answer. I only competed in the 5K but I spent lots of time at the expo.

Glad to be a part of this group!!!

I am trying really hard to do a walk/run. Yesterday I did a mile using 30 sec intervals. First mile was a PR at 14.30. I walked the second mile at 15.36. I am working on increasing pace as well as increasing distance with a faster pace. I would also like to do the 5k at a snails pace so I don't mess up my chances of completing the half. I really want to finish it. This race is my reward for losing weight. I keep telling everyone what my motivators are. I want my fireworks. I want to run through the castle. I wnt to hear the trumpets. I want to hear the choir sing. And I want my medal! I deserve a medal for losing weight. So far I am down 26 pounds. Of course I reward myself along the way. Every 10 pounds down I get a bead for my bracelet. I am trying to get Minnie for Mickey, but these 4 pounds have been stubborn ones.

When I say run thats partially where the shirts come in LOL. Mine will say "Coast to Coast to the Altar" on the back with "Disney Bride" on the front. Hers will say "Have you seen the Bride? Chasing the Bride to the Altar!" and "Disney Bridesmaid". My pace is about 1:30 to 2:00 faster than her per mile. I will wait for her to finish though. We've done several races like this. I finish and wait :).

Congrats on your wedding in a year. My fiancee and I are getting married at Disney in March this year, it's a great experience. The tasting session was great and they do a lot of the tedious work, which is great. We are doing it at Wedding Pavilion and the Boardwalk conference center (smallest and most isolated of all free choices). Also, enjoy the race, but don't go too hard, you want to be able to walk the next day, haha.

Princesses who have done this race in the past -- what is your opinion on the race retreat?? Is it worth the extra money?

I am thinking "yes" to pasta in the park.

Probable "yes" to 5K, but if so, is the breakfast following that worth the money?

Registration needs to hurry up and get here -- but I am guessing it will be like the other races, about 8-ish months out :rolleyes1

I think this really depends. I run a lot of races especially distance races DPH will be my second half next year. This year I have 3 half marathons, 1 11 miler, 1 marathon, 1 oly tri, and 1 half iron in the works if things turn out. Due to this I also have a very structured set of eating habits before a race. I feel many runners who run for time and run a lot of distance races are extremely particular about their fuel. The heated tents sound nice, and so do the bathrooms but in all honesty combine my pickyness over food before a race and the cost not for me its a no. I also have food allergies which I'm sure disney would accommodate but I tend to pack my own breakfast for race day no matter where I go. I stick with what is tried and true my final 2 meals before a race so I know all systems are go. One thing that has been hammered into me is you never do anything new race day that includes dinner, breakfast, and if possible controlling your sleep before the race. Less variables means more chance of success.

Princesses who have done this race in the past -- what is your opinion on the race retreat?? Is it worth the extra money?

Probable "yes" to 5K, but if so, is the breakfast following that worth the money?

Registration needs to hurry up and get here -- but I am guessing it will be like the other races, about 8-ish months out :rolleyes1

It is and it isn't. My experience in 2012 wasn't great, as due to the bus delays we didn't really have enough time to enjoy the tent prior to the race, but we did enjoy the private bathrooms. After the race, I sat at an empty table to eat what was available and a family plus one runner came and sat down at the table and loudly exclaimed how it was troublesome to find another chair to drag to the table - i.e., they wanted me out of my seat. IMO, it should be open to runners only. Make a separate tent for chEAR squad members.

But, it was also nice to be able to sit and watch the runners pass the finish line in the couch area (I was on the lookout for my aunt!). And they had decent food. And I met Tink with no line at all. And the "private" port-a-potties were nice. I was just a bit peeved at that family, but I'm sure that was just my experience.

Anyone know what is the shortest distance race you can use as a time qualifier for the PHM? I didn't see it on the run Disney site, but maybe I missed it. We have a local one that is a 10k. There is a half at the same place but it is through the country side with lots of hills. While I think it would be a lovely walk, I doubt it will help my time.

Anyone know what is the shortest distance race you can use as a time qualifier for the PHM? I didn't see it on the run Disney site, but maybe I missed it. We have a local one that is a 10k. There is a half at the same place but it is through the country side with lots of hills. While I think it would be a lovely walk, I doubt it will help my time.

It must be a timed 10k, anything shorter does not qualify as proof of time, and timed to prove you did what you claim.

I am trying really hard to do a walk/run. Yesterday I did a mile using 30 sec intervals. First mile was a PR at 14.30. I walked the second mile at 15.36. I am working on increasing pace as well as increasing distance with a faster pace. I would also like to do the 5k at a snails pace so I don't mess up my chances of completing the half. I really want to finish it. This race is my reward for losing weight. I keep telling everyone what my motivators are. I want my fireworks. I want to run through the castle. I wnt to hear the trumpets. I want to hear the choir sing. And I want my medal! I deserve a medal for losing weight. So far I am down 26 pounds. Of course I reward myself along the way. Every 10 pounds down I get a bead for my bracelet. I am trying to get Minnie for Mickey, but these 4 pounds have been stubborn ones.

What an awesome motivator!! Congratulations on your loss so far!

I think this really depends. I run a lot of races especially distance races DPH will be my second half next year. This year I have 3 half marathons, 1 11 miler, 1 marathon, 1 oly tri, and 1 half iron in the works if things turn out. Due to this I also have a very structured set of eating habits before a race. I feel many runners who run for time and run a lot of distance races are extremely particular about their fuel. The heated tents sound nice, and so do the bathrooms but in all honesty combine my pickyness over food before a race and the cost not for me its a no. I also have food allergies which I'm sure disney would accommodate but I tend to pack my own breakfast for race day no matter where I go. I stick with what is tried and true my final 2 meals before a race so I know all systems are go. One thing that has been hammered into me is you never do anything new race day that includes dinner, breakfast, and if possible controlling your sleep before the race. Less variables means more chance of success.

I hadnt really thought about all of those variables as far as the meals go. Thanks so much for your input!

It is and it isn't. My experience in 2012 wasn't great, as due to the bus delays we didn't really have enough time to enjoy the tent prior to the race, but we did enjoy the private bathrooms. After the race, I sat at an empty table to eat what was available and a family plus one runner came and sat down at the table and loudly exclaimed how it was troublesome to find another chair to drag to the table - i.e., they wanted me out of my seat. IMO, it should be open to runners only. Make a separate tent for chEAR squad members.

But, it was also nice to be able to sit and watch the runners pass the finish line in the couch area (I was on the lookout for my aunt!). And they had decent food. And I met Tink with no line at all. And the "private" port-a-potties were nice. I was just a bit peeved at that family, but I'm sure that was just my experience.

Thanks so much for your input with your experience last year. I guess I will still give it some thought. If I am going to spend the money on that, I certainly want to feel like I am getting the most out of it.

Danhockey04 said:
It must be a timed 10k, anything shorter does not qualify as proof of time, and timed to prove you did what you claim.

Thanks Dan
I am working on trying to find out if these local ones are timed.

I just finished the 5k during PHM weekend and want more! I will be doing the PHM next year as part of my C2C with Tinkerbell Half. So....can.....not....wait!!! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but am getting better. I'm doing a couple local 5ks this spring along with the EEC. This fall I'm doing the ToT and a 10k in St. Augustine.

I will be doing the PHM solo and would love to join anyone for a meetup. I do a walk/run combo at the moment but would love to be able to run more.::yes::

I just finished the 5k during PHM weekend and want more! I will be doing the PHM next year as part of my C2C with Tinkerbell Half. So....can.....not....wait!!! I'm not much of a runner at the moment but am getting better. I'm doing a couple local 5ks this spring along with the EEC. This fall I'm doing the ToT and a 10k in St. Augustine.

I will be doing the PHM solo and would love to join anyone for a meetup. I do a walk/run combo at the moment but would love to be able to run more.::yes::

Hello :wave2:

I am doing ToT & PHM as a solo! I would love to do a meetup!!

C2C...how awesome! You go girl!!

After talking to my costume lady, she has some ideas on the tail, thankfully. However, this 2014 one should be better than 2013 costume (more detail), the tail is going to be a unique design to look tight but give running ability, decorating a light purple sports bra with shells, and even a light green/blue navel ring or a shell or little mermaid ring or bar or whatever it's called. I will do a wig or a shell hair piece, I'm going all out.

Also, I plan on being at ToT and W&D this year (probably in some costume, I still have my french maid princess costume I designed and not worn for a race), along with the Mickey marathon and possibly Miami again. I know a Halloween race will be in there somewhere too. Lastly, I found myself one more race in April (Lake Minneola HM) before FL races shut down till September. I will be in and out of this thread throughout the year depending on work load and time. I will be here to help any first timers through the process, but training advice is not my best as I follow my own, unethical plan. Also, is this the official 2014 Princess thread? If so, the thread title should be altered to reflect.

After talking to my costume lady, she has some ideas on the tail, thankfully. However, this 2014 one should be better than 2013 costume (more detail), the tail is going to be a unique design to look tight but give running ability, decorating a light purple sports bra with shells, and even a light green/blue navel ring or a shell or little mermaid ring or bar or whatever it's called. I will do a wig or a shell hair piece, I'm going all out.

Also, I plan on being at ToT and W&D this year (probably in some costume, I still have my french maid princess costume I designed and not worn for a race), along with the Mickey marathon and possibly Miami again. I know a Halloween race will be in there somewhere too. Lastly, I found myself one more race in April (Lake Minneola HM) before FL races shut down till September. I will be in and out of this thread throughout the year depending on work load and time. I will be here to help any first timers through the process, but training advice is not my best as I follow my own, unethical plan. Also, is this the official 2014 Princess thread? If so, the thread title should be altered to reflect.

Sounds like a cute costume!! I will be at ToT also -- Dory in the 5K and either Ursula or Mrs Increadible for the 10 miler. Not sure about costumes for 2014 Princess.

I think I might try for C2C next year. After reading all these posts about C2C, I am going to give it a try and do Tink 1/2 in Jan, the Princess 1/2 in Feb to get my C2C in WDW.

Time to really get the training in gear!!

I did the race retreat this year and I thought it was worth every penny! But that's just me. I was in line for the bus at 2:45 so I could get my money's worth. ;) I was in the race retreat by 3:15 and there was zero line for the bag check, I just walked up and gave them my bag of post race stuff. I knew that they served bagels, peanut butter, water and bananas in the retreat so this is what I trained with for my long runs and I didn't have to pack my own - one less thing to worry about. It was so great to just grab a table and relax and gather my thoughts, this made me a lot less nervous. There were some stretching mats too. I got some character photos. The only bad thing was the line for the porta potties and I nearly died when I saw how long it was! But they opened up the mens side and the line moved super fast. After the race I felt like a total zombie once I crossed the finish line. I grabbed a bag of ice for my painful knee and made my way back to the retreat and I felt so glad that I could sit on a chair and put my leg up to ice it. I grabbed an ice cold coke and a water and relaxed for a bit before I got back up (slowly!) to get some eggs and bacon. The food wasn't amazing but it did the job right then and there! I picked up my bag at bag check with no wait and went to the private changing area. A fresh change of clothes and my own comfy flip flops (not the ones you get in the retreat) really made a difference! I waited about an hour for my friend to finish and couldn't ask for a better spot to just hang out and get my wits about me. I plan to do the PHM with my sister next year and I told her that we are totally getting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter