Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in for the 2014 PHM!! I know that a lot of people had some bad experiences with this year's race but I had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I talked my sister into doing it with me next year! I'd only started running last summer and when I signed up, I only had a 5K under my belt. I wanted to see if I could get a better corral assignment so I did a 10K in January in MN (six degrees below zero that day!!). I was able to move up a few corrals when I submitted my time at the expo thank goodness! I followed a training plan and it served me well. I didn't train with a run/walk interval but I plan to next year as this is what my sister will be doing and I want to run with her. I'm so excited for next year! I can't wait to start working on my costume.

Oh, I'm also doing a half in May in Green Bay, WI and I'm registered for the Dumbo Double Dare for my coast to coast this fall however I may have to forego that as I may have overextended myself financially. I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that probably won't be able to do it if I plan to do the PHM next year.

Apparently I've fallen wayyyyy behind on greeting people, but welcome, welcome, welcome!

Glad to see we'll all my working to earn our tiaras together!

Are there any PHM 2013 runners here who want to tell us about this year's race? I'd love to hear!

I have done 2011 and 2013 PHM. Both were fun, though 2011 had the princess on the race course, all of them; 2013 had only a couple on course, rest at the DJ. I liked the corralling better in 2011, mainly cause men started in B. I thought both races were fun, I did 2011 as Princess Peach and 2013 as Rapunzel, pic is in the 2013 thread on page 240 I believe. The race was larger 2013, corrals were larger, EXPO was terrible to get to and from in 2013. Race shirt, medal, and 'I did it' shirt was way better in 2013, probably best 'I did it' shirt I've seen at a Disney race. I cannot comment on crowds on either race I was towards the front, even starting in C, I made it towards the thinned out front of A and no lines for characters. The only lines I saw was when I was trying to weave on World Dr, those were probably 5-10 minute waits for heros and pirates.

I'm in as well. I started running in September, did my first 5K in December and I am training for a 10 mile race this July! Super excited about the Princess Half! Best of luck on everyone's training!

I did the race retreat this year and I thought it was worth every penny! But that's just me. I was in line for the bus at 2:45 so I could get my money's worth. ;) I was in the race retreat by 3:15 and there was zero line for the bag check, I just walked up and gave them my bag of post race stuff. I knew that they served bagels, peanut butter, water and bananas in the retreat so this is what I trained with for my long runs and I didn't have to pack my own - one less thing to worry about. It was so great to just grab a table and relax and gather my thoughts, this made me a lot less nervous. There were some stretching mats too. I got some character photos. The only bad thing was the line for the porta potties and I nearly died when I saw how long it was! But they opened up the mens side and the line moved super fast. After the race I felt like a total zombie once I crossed the finish line. I grabbed a bag of ice for my painful knee and made my way back to the retreat and I felt so glad that I could sit on a chair and put my leg up to ice it. I grabbed an ice cold coke and a water and relaxed for a bit before I got back up (slowly!) to get some eggs and bacon. The food wasn't amazing but it did the job right then and there! I picked up my bag at bag check with no wait and went to the private changing area. A fresh change of clothes and my own comfy flip flops (not the ones you get in the retreat) really made a difference! I waited about an hour for my friend to finish and couldn't ask for a better spot to just hang out and get my wits about me. I plan to do the PHM with my sister next year and I told her that we are totally getting this.

Thanks so much! Your experience sounds great! I am thinking I might just go for it since this will be my first Princess 1/2, and then if I'm not happy with it, I dont have to do it again.

I'm in and I'm super excited! This will be my first Disney run, but my second half marathon. I've convinced my two best friends that we are all going to run it together and that our girls only princess 1/2 weekend will be my "mid-life crisis".

Hi! I'm Jennie....been hoping for a 2014 thread to start up! LOL My best friend and I decided after the WDW Half (which was our first Half!) that we'd do the 2014 Princess as our next big race. Not sure my DH will be back from deployment to be able to do it with us or not, but one can always hope!

Right now my planned for-sure races are the Crescent City Classic 10K on March 30th and the Back to Football 5K which will be Aug/Sept time frame. I'm going to try for a PR for the CCC10K ... hopefully get a good time for a corral placement.

I do Galloway method and my training goal for this year is improving my speed and possibly increasing my running interval. All depends on what gets me the best results.

Excited to get to know everyone and train along this path to royalty together!!

I'm in!! I made that call before that race this year, I loved the weekend so much I knew I had to do it again. Logistics wise it works best for us, but someday I'd like to branch out and do other Disney races. My next half in the RnR half in October, I'm terrified it won't come close to the Disney experience and it'll bum me out.

I am in for next year too!!! I just did the phm, and had an excellent time!!! My hope for next year is to get more pictures... and maybe have someone to run with. (or at least start with)

I ran my first 5k of the year yesterday. It was fr-fr-freezing, but I felt great at the finish. I could have run it again. I should have signed up for the 10k instead, but I was nervous that I wouldn't be ready. It was super crowded and I felt like half my city was out there running with me, but there was great camaraderie and the biggest cheering section at the finish that I've ever seen. Tried to post a photo but I don't have 10 posts yet. :sad2:

I ran my first 5k of the year yesterday. It was fr-fr-freezing, but I felt great at the finish. I could have run it again. I should have signed up for the 10k instead, but I was nervous that I wouldn't be ready. It was super crowded and I felt like half my city was out there running with me, but there was great camaraderie and the biggest cheering section at the finish that I've ever seen. Tried to post a photo but I don't have 10 posts yet. :sad2:

sounds like you had a good time! Congrats on your first 5k of the year!!!:thumbsup2

If anyone is looking for motivation/incentive to train check out moon joggers. It is a community of people from 40 different countries who have committed to walking or running 365 miles, 1000 miles or 2013 miles in 2013. I committed to doing 1000 miles as my training plan for the PHM.

Hi everyone!

I am planning to do the 2014 PHM as well! I've done several 5ks and mud runs, and have signed up to do my first half marathon in Westerly, RI, in September. I can't wait!

Hi everyone!

I am planning to do the 2014 PHM as well! I've done several 5ks and mud runs, and have signed up to do my first half marathon in Westerly, RI, in September. I can't wait!

Woohoo! Can't wait for our Princess in Training shirts for Surftown!

Just ran five miles today and broke my best mile time in the Nike+ run app. Does anyone else use that one? I like it, but I definitely wonder how accurate the GPS is.

Woohoo! Can't wait for our Princess in Training shirts for Surftown!

Just ran five miles today and broke my best mile time in the Nike+ run app. Does anyone else use that one? I like it, but I definitely wonder how accurate the GPS is.

I always wonder how accurate my GPS is. I think it is a problem with a lot of programs...since it would seem to me that anyone who noted how far their program said they ran in the phm had it record more than the 13.1. For me... using runkeeper... it recorded 13.46 and that was start to finish not including the long walk from the corral to start....or the main stage to corral.

I always wonder how accurate my GPS is. I think it is a problem with a lot of programs...since it would seem to me that anyone who noted how far their program said they ran in the phm had it record more than the 13.1. For me... using runkeeper... it recorded 13.46 and that was start to finish not including the long walk from the corral to start....or the main stage to corral.

I've noticed when I use the treadmill setting that it clocks my pace as almost 2 minutes faster than it should though I never gave the road running setting a second thought. I suppose I should start using mapmyrun.com to double check my distances.

Even if its off, I know the routes pretty well so I know its got to my blose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter