Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pixarmom said:
Excellent point! I have no idea what my time might be - this will be my first half marathon. I've been running off and on since college, but I've never paid any attention to my time. I guess I run most 5Ks in about 30 minutes, but I have no idea what that means for the DL 10K next month or the PHM in February!

Question regarding winter running! For winter running, I used to run on an indoor track. But I so love running outside, and want to try year-round running in the very cold climate I currently live in. My dad used to run daily in any weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.) and was happy with that, so I'll give it a try. Just ordered a bunch of gear on clearance - gloves, hat, socks, tights from Athleta and Merrell Tempo Glove Barefoot shoes (I have two pairs of barefoot dash and love them!) Any recommendations from those of you who run outside year-round in cold climates? (P.S. I'm not a run/walk interval person - once I start running, I have to keep running, if that makes any difference in your recommendation!)

Might be different as a guy, but living in upstate western NY I run in the lovely lake effect snow. I have a pair of mizuno breath thermo that work well and I have some craft wind blocking gear as well. And a saucony beanie type hat that deff keeps my head warm. I know they have women's running hats with the hole in the back for hair. Heard they work pretty well. Guess it depends on preference, but either way make sure you cover you head/ears. You'll get ice in your hair if you don't cover it (sweat freezes, happens to me in my goatee!) And on REALLY cold days look at getting a baklava to cover your nose and mouth. Just some suggestions on stuff to look for. I gradually got pieces of gear as I needed it, but as you mentioned you might be able to pick up cold weather stuff now on sale!

Just reading along and getting loads of great tips from you ladies. I didn't even think about arm warmers and disposable gear. My only Disney run was ToT and I certainly didn't need to wear anything extra for that. All other events that I have run have been on summer mornings. I kind of figure Wine and Dine will be similar to ToT in terms of temperatures, but now that I am signed up for this too, I guess I need to think about how chilly the morning might be. Anyway, I bought some Asics arm warmers from Running Warehouse. Between being on clearance and having a coupon code they were about $5.50. I figure if I need to toss them, I won't feel too bad. ']

I guess I need to think about how chilly the morning might be.

The catch with Feb. is that you'll have NO idea what the weather will bring until days before the race. I've seen temps in the 80s down here at that time, and temps in the 20s. I have a small pile going of throw-away clothes I come across; I keep it on hand in case any of these winter races are as bad as Marathon weekend 2010 - when we had SNOW! :faint:

The catch with Feb. is that you'll have NO idea what the weather will bring until days before the race. I've seen temps in the 80s down here at that time, and temps in the 20s. I have a small pile going of throw-away clothes I come across; I keep it on hand in case any of these winter races are as bad as Marathon weekend 2010 - when we had SNOW! :faint:

I will be well practised then as I expect it will be freezing here in Ireland when I am training!!!!! Will have to stick with it as I dont want to train on a treadmill!

My southwest credit card is on FIRE today! Booked my PHM flights for my family and my parents AND I booked mine and DH's Tink weekend flights for January! :yay::yay::yay:

Now I just have to get out for my planned run tonight! And then run approximately 450 more training miles.... :)

Some waterproof shell clothing comes in handy. I love my Marmot precip for a waterproof layer - plus it has armpit vents. And Under Armour cold gear is great - I have some long sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt.

Thank you! Bought a jacket from Athleta, and just checked out the UA cold gear - definitely getting some of those long-sleeved shirts.

My cold weather running gear is as follows....but keep in mind that I "run hot":

~30-50 degrees: LS tech shirt, 3/4 Adidas tights or possibly my Brooks loose tights, headband.
~20-30 degrees: LS shirt/tights/headband/gloves
<10-20 degrees: NB winter weight/windproof running shirt/tights/headband/running mittens and if really windy or bitterly cold a pair of boy short underwear that have a little thigh coverage. If it's bitter, I also have a balaclava, although I think I've only used it once or twice.

Generally, I feel somewhat chilly for 1/2 mile, then feel fine. Also, my hands get warm after 2 miles and sometimes I ditch the gloves. I ended up getting the fingerless glove with mitten overlay so that I can open them up if my hands get warm or if I'm trying to rip open a gel.

It's a matter of trial and error finding what works for you. Good luck.

Maura

This is great - got it on the trial and error, but great to have a starting point! Also love to know that I'm not alone and crazy in attempting this!

Might be different as a guy, but living in upstate western NY I run in the lovely lake effect snow. I have a pair of mizuno breath thermo that work well and I have some craft wind blocking gear as well. And a saucony beanie type hat that deff keeps my head warm. I know they have women's running hats with the hole in the back for hair. Heard they work pretty well. Guess it depends on preference, but either way make sure you cover you head/ears. You'll get ice in your hair if you don't cover it (sweat freezes, happens to me in my goatee!) And on REALLY cold days look at getting a baklava to cover your nose and mouth. Just some suggestions on stuff to look for. I gradually got pieces of gear as I needed it, but as you mentioned you might be able to pick up cold weather stuff now on sale!

Thank you! Just ordered a hat with the space in the back for my ponytail. :) Will definitely be running in lake effect snow - we're just two blocks away from Lake Michigan!

For folks in the PHM 2014, princess v and Sunnygal among others will keep you well posted on FL weather. This year was really humid and many northern tier folks who trained outside in cold temps had a really, really hard time during the race. As much as the TM inside might not be an ideal training venue.....it might help you acclimate better if the Race weather isn't freezing and cold. ( which for FL and us TX folks... Cold is 50 and below.....we just buy parka's and firewood like the next ice age is happening !) :rotfl2:

For folks in the PHM 2014, princess v and Sunnygal among others will keep you well posted on FL weather. This year was really humid and many northern tier folks who trained outside in cold temps had a really, really hard time during the race. As much as the TM inside might not be an ideal training venue.....it might help you acclimate better if the Race weather isn't freezing and cold. ( which for FL and us TX folks... Cold is 50 and below.....we just buy parka's and firewood like the next ice age is happening !) :rotfl2:

Good point! I just read an article on transitioning from cold weather running to the Disney races, and it was very helpful. Also hoping that our trips to California in November and January before the February race will provide at least a little practice with the transition. But I know that even California and Florida are two very different climates. Now I'm really glad that I registered to run the 5K with my kids during PHM weekend - at least I'll have a chance to adjust before the PHM that Sunday.

I live right behind MK and yup, temps are all over the place. We ran the Princess 5k in 2012 and ended up with like flakes of frost on our shirts by the end.

This past year we ran the half and while it was cool in the morning, we had our arm warmers off by mile 2 and it was hot!

Gryhndmom said:

A great point, last year I ran ToT and by mile 3 my clothes were so wet it was like I jumped into a swimming pool! Sometimes destination runs can be so hard to train for.

Question: does anyone know how much of the proceeds from the Disney events actually go to charity? I know when I ran during marathon weekend they said 88 million ( but I think that is just marathon weekend). I was just curious because I ran a tough murder this past weekend (wounded warrior project), and their site says they've donated almost 6 million, but I know about 600,000 people have done it. So it is only like 10 dollars of the 135 for registration that goes which just seems so awfully low. I know they are a for profit run company but it just seemed crazy to me.

Is anyone else having race nightmare/dreams yet? I totally had one yesterday, probably because I finally booked my flights so I was thinking about the races and the expo all day. It somehow turned into a blend of a race and old dance camps I used to attend and much of what I remember is that I was so so so nervous and that i was worried I was going to sleep through my alarm.

When do I have a dream about effortlessness running through the castle (hahahaha!)

For folks in the PHM 2014, princess v and Sunnygal among others will keep you well posted on FL weather.
:rotfl: Yep! You'll all get to hear me whining about the "cold" for a couple months leading up to the race, I'm sure. ;)

Y'know, the inside/outside thing is probably a great way to train for this - FL winter is exactly that kind of screwy: warm and sunny one week, near freezing and raining the next. If I trained up north, I'd seriously consider doing a mix of outdoor and indoor runs to kind of get used to the back and forth.

As for winter running clothes... what some of you wear in 10-20 degrees, I'm wearing at 50. :lmao: I've found some pretty nice stuff at Target - a great wicking hat that covers my ears and has a ponytail hole, winter-weight running tights and tech material turtlenecks, cheap fleece jackets. I wear Smartwool running socks year-round and find that they do a pretty good job of keeping my perpetually cold toes warm. ish.

We ran the Princess 5k in 2012 and ended up with like flakes of frost on our shirts by the end.
::yes:: Remember seeing so many racers in tank tops and bare legs?! And there I was, in 2 layers of shirts and running tights. I was warm enough, but never even broke a sweat.

Question: does anyone know how much of the proceeds from the Disney events actually go to charity? I know when I ran during marathon weekend they said 88 million ( but I think that is just marathon weekend). I was just curious because I ran a tough murder this past weekend (wounded warrior project), and their site says they've donated almost 6 million, but I know about 600,000 people have done it. So it is only like 10 dollars of the 135 for registration that goes which just seems so awfully low. I know they are a for profit run company but it just seemed crazy to me.

I'd like to know this too!

I'd like to know this too!

Interesting, now I'm curious too. I didn't realize that *any* proceeds went to charity.

I know the race entry fee is considered high, but after doing 1, I totally understand why. With all of the race logistics...buses, staff and volunteers, expo setup, traffic safety, port-a-potties, on-course entertainment, etc...I realize Disney is still making a nice profit, but since I signed up, obviously I don't mind :)

fruitcakes24 said:
Interesting, now I'm curious too. I didn't realize that *any* proceeds went to charity.

I know the race entry fee is considered high, but after doing 1, I totally understand why. With all of the race logistics...buses, staff and volunteers, expo setup, traffic safety, port-a-potties, on-course entertainment, etc...I realize Disney is still making a nice profit, but since I signed up, obviously I don't mind :)

I've read articles, and yes, all that is taken into consideration. They have to hire an outside bus company to bus people and pay their own workers and everything. Pay for the medals and shirts, ext. But...they also have sponsors (as noted by the covering on the backs of the shirts). So that does alleviate some costs. My guess, Disney will be higher than most because they don't need the money, they make that all off us. Since we stay on their property, buy their merchandise and buy their food. Which for the record I'm good with as I've ran a bunch of Disney races and actually makes me feel better about more money to charity.

I am going to email them and see if they will give me an answer I cant seem to find a lot if info on the subject in general either way.

JRM393 said:
I've read articles, and yes, all that is taken into consideration. They have to hire an outside bus company to bus people and pay their own workers and everything. Pay for the medals and shirts, ext. But...they also have sponsors (as noted by the covering on the backs of the shirts). So that does alleviate some costs. My guess, Disney will be higher than most because they don't need the money, they make that all off us. Since we stay on their property, buy their merchandise and buy their food. Which for the record I'm good with as I've ran a bunch of Disney races and actually makes me feel better about more money to charity.

I am going to email them and see if they will give me an answer I cant seem to find a lot if info on the subject in general either way.

I asled about this before and was told it was the $ the charity runners raised not Disney.

Good point!

I just reread my response and I hope it didn't come off....well, Evin Queen-ish... :rotfl: I hope that they do have a % (even if it is small) that goes to charity.

fruitcakes24 said:
Good point!

I just reread my response and I hope it didn't come off....well, Evin Queen-ish... :rotfl: I hope that they do have a % (even if it is small) that goes to charity.

Haha your fine. I asked, we will see what they say. If I don't get a straight answer back maybe ill try to dig a little deeper. I have some contacts that still work there from when I was a CM.

Here's what I sent to RunDisney:
Hello,
>I am signed up for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon with my daughter. My
>husband and I participated in the same event in 2010. In that year,
>there were great discounts on Disney resorts and park tickets. Why are
>there no discounts offered, even for park tickets, this year? The
>discounts added to the fun!! :)
>
>Also, I see that in 2013, the # of entrants increased dramatically since
>2010. Will the 2014 be that crowded, or have you limited the number of
>entrants to a lesser amount? What is the number of entrants allowed for
>2014?
>
>Thanks!

Response:
Hello,
>
>For resort and theme park pricing information, please call 407-WDW-IRUN.

>Participant numbers are determined by course capacity and the timing
>strategy. For the 2014 Princess Half, we have increased the total
>number of corrals while strategically timing the wave starts. This will
>spread out the participants on course.
>
>Thank you,
>runDisney

My email back:
runDisney,

Thanks for getting back to me, but my questions weren't really answered.

How many entrants (what is the course capacity??) are there for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon? (I understand corrals and wave timing, since I participated in the 2010 marathon). I notice that you have increased course capacity each year.

Also, I was curious why there are no discounts on resort or theme park tickets given out by the IRUN #, when there were discounts in the past.

An additional question - does the registration fee that runDisney charges have any percentage that goes to charity at all or do I need to sign up with a charity to make a donation?
Thanks,

Their response:
Unfortunately, we cannot disclose our capacity amounts. Our discounts are unfortunately on a year to year basis and are not guaranteed to be offered for every year. In order to make a donation to a charity you can do so on your registration form, or sign up with a charity to do so.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a Magical day!
Thank you,

runDisney

:confused3 I am not sure why they can't say their capacity, since we can see how many entrants there were after the race has happened.

Unfortunate about the discounts...

I guess if you want to make a donation, you have to add additional $, since I don't think they meant that the registration fee goes to the charity you pick???
:confused3

Thank you! Just ordered a hat with the space in the back for my ponytail. :) Will definitely be running in lake effect snow - we're just two blocks away from Lake Michigan!

I don't think I knew you were near Lake Michigan! We're a little further away - about an hour or so - but we do get a ton of lake effect snow in the South Bend area! :eek: Good on ya for committing to running outside then. I think I may try, but will be on my treadmill for most of the winter. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter