• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess half marathon board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started run/walk program last night and found it fab.

I was just jogging for the run part and then revovery in walking but at a fast walk! :)

Felt nauseous once so I kept walking 3 mins until my body was ready to run again :)

Thanks!! :)

Sorry to be full of questions, but you guys seem to have great answers. :) I have been doing a c210k program but it seems my minutes per mile are getting slower the longer I run without stopping. Do you think I should continue to so the program or break off and try a run/walk ratio? At this point I just need something that will keep me from getting swept by the bus. It terrifies me. :(

How is everyone's experience with run/walk training programs?

My experience has been that I had to find intervals that worked best for me - which means different intervals for different runs, too. There just isn't a set quotient that works for everyone, or even for one on every day, necessarily. I've tried :30/:30, 1:00/:30, 1:00/:45, :45/:45, 1:30/1:00, 2:00/1:00, 1/4 mile/1:00, and on and on! I suggest playing with varying intervals on short runs to see what feels "right." Weather is a big factor for me - right now, I'm best at a 1:00/1:00 or 1:00/:45 run/walk due to the heat. In cooler temps, I was happier with a 1:30/:45 or 2:00/1:00 ratio.

Also, a lot of us will attest that more running doesn't necessarily result in a faster pace. My running speed stays fairly consistent, but my walking speed goes down significantly if I run longer intervals, which slows down my average pace.

Sorry to be full of questions, but you guys seem to have great answers. :) I have been doing a c210k program but it seems my minutes per mile are getting slower the longer I run without stopping. Do you think I should continue to so the program or break off and try a run/walk ratio? At this point I just need something that will keep me from getting swept by the bus. It terrifies me. :(

Never apologize for asking questions! I was up to 3:1, but had to go down to 1:1 due to an injury. I found that not only did it not slow me down, I am actually faster! If I keep this up, I may run the half at this ratio!

My experience has been that I had to find intervals that worked best for me - which means different intervals for different runs, too. There just isn't a set quotient that works for everyone, or even for one on every day, necessarily. I've tried :30/:30, 1:00/:30, 1:00/:45, :45/:45, 1:30/1:00, 2:00/1:00, 1/4 mile/1:00, and on and on! I suggest playing with varying intervals on short runs to see what feels "right." Weather is a big factor for me - right now, I'm best at a 1:00/1:00 or 1:00/:45 run/walk due to the heat. In cooler temps, I was happier with a 1:30/:45 or 2:00/1:00 ratio.

Also, a lot of us will attest that more running doesn't necessarily result in a faster pace. My running speed stays fairly consistent, but my walking speed goes down significantly if I run longer intervals, which slows down my average pace.

Ditto on what princess V is saying....DH and I are doing DL half next month and thanks to the usual hotter than you know where weather in TX there is MUCH combo's of run/walk. I also find the longer I try to run the slower my walks so in the end I find the shorter my ratio the better my time. Currently do a 1:1 and shaves about 20 sec from my per min mile. Doesn't sound like much but I do remember running coach telling me improvements in my time will be a few seconds over mile.

Is the overall distance increasing or just the amount of time you are running? I know for me... (and I think this is normal) my pace per mile on my 2 mile runs is about a minute faster per mile than say my 8 mile runs.

Thanks everyone! I am torn as to what to do. My husband thinks I should just keep going but I fear I will have wasted that time I could be training another way.

Is the overall distance increasing or just the amount of time you are running? I know for me... (and I think this is normal) my pace per mile on my 2 mile runs is about a minute faster per mile than say my 8 mile runs.

The amount of time running without stopping. For instance this morning I ran for 20 mins straight and the usual 5 min warm up walk and 5 min cool down walk for 30 mins total. I ran at a 16:27mm pace. I have done a total of 30 mins before run/walk and have done a faster minute per mile and a farther distance. :/

I can't help you with the Galloway program - I've used the Penguin (John Bingham) training programs for a long time. But I agree with finding what works for you and going with it, and that the intervals may change with distance. I got my best times at an 8 run 2 walk (minutes) also easy to keep track of cause it's always 10 minutes LOL. These days (I'm older now) I do 4 and 1 or if I get tired 3 and 2, when I'm outdoors. (Indoors I do 5 laps walk 1 4 laps walk 1 for a mile, because it's easier to keep track of miles that way.)
Good Luck on the training- Feb is still a ways off so keep on trying!

The amount of time running without stopping. For instance this morning I ran for 20 mins straight and the usual 5 min warm up walk and 5 min cool down walk for 30 mins total. I ran at a 16:27mm pace. I have done a total of 30 mins before run/walk and have done a faster minute per mile and a farther distance. :/

Are you specifically working toward running exclusively instead of doing intervals? If so, you may find that it takes a while to get faster overall without the walk breaks built in. And that's totally fine if that's the route you want to take - you've got plenty of time to keep progressing toward that goal.

But if your goal is to decrease your average pace while increasing distance on longer runs, by any means necessary, I encourage you to do the run/walk intervals from the start. The idea behind the run/walk method is that by starting the intervals from the start, you reduce fatigue. Reduced fatigue allows you to go faster overall for longer distances.

Are you specifically working toward running exclusively instead of doing intervals? If so, you may find that it takes a while to get faster overall without the walk breaks built in. And that's totally fine if that's the route you want to take - you've got plenty of time to keep progressing toward that goal.

But if your goal is to decrease your average pace while increasing distance on longer runs, by any means necessary, I encourage you to do the run/walk intervals from the start. The idea behind the run/walk method is that by starting the intervals from the start, you reduce fatigue. Reduced fatigue allows you to go faster overall for longer distances.

I started this with the intent to try and run as much as possible so I am working on the straight running without walk breaks. However, I have changed my tune to the sound of I just want to finish and not get swept up by any means necessary. Lol I am going to attribute some of it to the heat and it being harder to run and going to keep treading on for now. I know I am overweight so I am sure that affects me a lot.

Thank you for the advice and help. You rock! :)

I can't help you with the Galloway program - I've used the Penguin (John Bingham) training programs for a long time. But I agree with finding what works for you and going with it, and that the intervals may change with distance. I got my best times at an 8 run 2 walk (minutes) also easy to keep track of cause it's always 10 minutes LOL. These days (I'm older now) I do 4 and 1 or if I get tired 3 and 2, when I'm outdoors. (Indoors I do 5 laps walk 1 4 laps walk 1 for a mile, because it's easier to keep track of miles that way.)
Good Luck on the training- Feb is still a ways off so keep on trying!

Thank you!! I love hearing different options from individuals actually doing it. It can get so confusing trying to read things off of the Internet and trying to determine whether or not it is going to work for you. :)

I started this with the intent to try and run as much as possible so I am working on the straight running without walk breaks. However, I have changed my tune to the sound of I just want to finish and not get swept up by any means necessary. Lol
Oh, I know that tune! ;):thumbsup2 I think the hardest thing is trusting the training plan - even having completed a few long races, I reach a point in training every time where I start doubting what I'm doing. If it helps, know that come race day, you may well find yourself running more, or walking more, or stopping to stretch, or never stopping at all... but it'll be okay, because you've done the training; what we do in training doesn't always (um, NEVER for me) match exactly how we end up racing, but it's the base that gets us ready for whatever comes on race day. :woohoo: I, too, find it so helpful to read so many different perspectives and experiences - this is a great group! :goodvibes

202 days? Im so pumped! I started running in april and I am now running 9:30min pace :) I am still trying to force myself to get to 9 miles. I am sure I will dominate 13.1 ( at least in my head I will). I have signed up for a 10k in October so hopefully I will get a great time and I can be placed in yhe correct corral. I have been purchasing so much pink running gear :)

I was feeling good until I read the part about slow, fat and bald and a 2:45 finish time. My PR is 2:53..... Always have to be careful about calling yourself slow! You never know who is "behind" you!

Excellent point! I have no idea what my time might be - this will be my first half marathon. I've been running off and on since college, but I've never paid any attention to my time. I guess I run most 5Ks in about 30 minutes, but I have no idea what that means for the DL 10K next month or the PHM in February!

Question regarding winter running! For winter running, I used to run on an indoor track. But I so love running outside, and want to try year-round running in the very cold climate I currently live in. My dad used to run daily in any weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.) and was happy with that, so I'll give it a try. Just ordered a bunch of gear on clearance - gloves, hat, socks, tights from Athleta and Merrell Tempo Glove Barefoot shoes (I have two pairs of barefoot dash and love them!) Any recommendations from those of you who run outside year-round in cold climates? (P.S. I'm not a run/walk interval person - once I start running, I have to keep running, if that makes any difference in your recommendation!)

Excellent point! I have no idea what my time might be - this will be my first half marathon. I've been running off and on since college, but I've never paid any attention to my time. I guess I run most 5Ks in about 30 minutes, but I have no idea what that means for the DL 10K next month or the PHM in February!

Question regarding winter running! For winter running, I used to run on an indoor track. But I so love running outside, and want to try year-round running in the very cold climate I currently live in. My dad used to run daily in any weather conditions (rain, snow, etc.) and was happy with that, so I'll give it a try. Just ordered a bunch of gear on clearance - gloves, hat, socks, tights from Athleta and Merrell Tempo Glove Barefoot shoes (I have two pairs of barefoot dash and love them!) Any recommendations from those of you who run outside year-round in cold climates? (P.S. I'm not a run/walk interval person - once I start running, I have to keep running, if that makes any difference in your recommendation!)
Some waterproof shell clothing comes in handy. I love my Marmot precip for a waterproof layer - plus it has armpit vents. And Under Armour cold gear is great - I have some long sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt.

My cold weather running gear is as follows....but keep in mind that I "run hot":

~30-50 degrees: LS tech shirt, 3/4 Adidas tights or possibly my Brooks loose tights, headband.
~20-30 degrees: LS shirt/tights/headband/gloves
<10-20 degrees: NB winter weight/windproof running shirt/tights/headband/running mittens and if really windy or bitterly cold a pair of boy short underwear that have a little thigh coverage. If it's bitter, I also have a balaclava, although I think I've only used it once or twice.

Generally, I feel somewhat chilly for 1/2 mile, then feel fine. Also, my hands get warm after 2 miles and sometimes I ditch the gloves. I ended up getting the fingerless glove with mitten overlay so that I can open them up if my hands get warm or if I'm trying to rip open a gel.

It's a matter of trial and error finding what works for you. Good luck.

Maura

I was feeling good until I read the part about slow, fat and bald and a 2:45 finish time. My PR is 2:53..... Always have to be careful about calling yourself slow! You never know who is "behind" you!

Someone like me, right? Haha! Some day I will catch you! Probably not at a Disney race though :-)

I'm stoked to be doing the Princess again. I ran it in 2012 which was my first Disney experience all together. Running with a group of friends again in 2014, some new one's and some I ran with in 2012. Two of us will be getting our fancy PINK C2C medals too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter