• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling all Chicago DISers #3

I'm hoping that some of you can give me some advice. Were planning on visiting Chicago next year. Neither of us are crazy about the idea of driving in the city, so my original plan was to take the Amtrak from Carbondale, which is about 2 hours from my house. I like the idea of letting someone else do the driving, but it's going to make for a long day. Then I thought about driving to one of the suburbs, leaving the car parked there for the week and taking the Metra into the city. Now for the questions: Is that even possible? Do the Metra stations even have long term parking? If so, what town would you recommend? We would be coming from the south.

The Homewood Metra station on the electric line is the only one that allows overnight parking as it is also an Amtrak station.

But the airport is a good idea. I did that once though I don't remember why!

The North Line runs about a mile away from my home. Other than a handful of spots, most people park on the side streets, like the residents in the area. It's safe, cost-free, and unless there's street cleaning, not a ticketing hazard. Have a good trip!

The Homewood Metra station on the electric line is the only one that allows overnight parking as it is also an Amtrak station.

I think this may be the best option.

I just though of something, though: can I take luggage on the Metra?

You can definitely take luggage, but you have to keep aisles clear. So be sure togo when it is not rush hour so that you will have plenty of space for your stuff.

I think this may be the best option.

I just though of something, though: can I take luggage on the Metra?

Yes, you can take luggage. The Homewood lot is a pay lot and you do have to be careful to make sure you pay correctly because they are pretty hard core with towing however, my dad figured it out so it can't be hard.

That's a relatively convenient station for someone coming in from the south.

The Joilet station may also allow overnight parking because I think it is also an Amtrak stop.

There is a number here you can call to ask.
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/ri/station.JOLIET.html

Hi all, :wave2:
Sorry I haven't been here in a few months. Life for me is so busy with my 2kids. And also I have had a hard time getting on the Disboards with internet explorer. Every time I try to get on the Disboards the last couple of weeks, internet explorer kicks me out of the website, so I don't know what is going on with that.

Anyways, I am doing well, my dh is doing well and my dd and ds are doing well.

RMOM50- Yes, we did go on my ds's WDW band trip back in March of this year, during spring break! We all had a good time! I was not a chaperone for the trip. My ds went down to WDW separately on a coach bus with the other bandos. My dh, dd, and I flew down. We stayed the same amount time as the bandos did. We went to all 4 WDW parks, tho only stayed 2 hours at AK. My son with the school band did march in the Festival of Fantasy day parade at MK! I wish I could post pictures here, but I don't remember how to do that, it has been so long! I do have pics of the trip on my facebook page.
We hardly saw ds during the band trip other than a couple of times, he was hanging with the other bandos.
We spent most of our time with dd at WDW. Got to do some meet and greets with Mr. Incredible, Chip and Dale, and Minnie Mouse! And of course, Phineas and Ferb. Tried to do the meet and greet with Anna and Elsa from Frozen, but it was a 4-hour wait, even with the new GAC disability pass(or whatever it is called now), they wouldn't honor the Anna and Elsa meet and greet with the pass :(. My dd wasn't too happy about that, but nothing we could do. :guilty:
Anyways, everything else went fine. The trip was too short, as we only stayed 4 days total. But we all had a good time!

My kids stayed busy this summer! Tho I can't wait til they go back to school.
Both my kids are now incoming seniors! Matthew just started marching band camp today, his last one for high school :sad:
Our marching band music this school yr. is going to be Cirque Du Soleil- La Nouba. Should be quite interesting!

Hi to all!

Slo- Wow! Your dd's have grown! Sounds like things are busy with softball for you and the dd's.

Hey, Disers! Just had my 4th baby a little over a week ago. Been a busy summer, but things should quiet down somewhat once the older 2 head back to school. I took my oldest to high school registration today! I am also happily looking forward to a November trip with my dad and the two littlest ones who will be 2 1/2 and 3 months. We normally go in summer, so I'm looking forward to cooler temps and lower crowds.
Hope you are all doing well!

Hi all, :wave2:

My kids stayed busy this summer! Tho I can't wait til they go back to school.
Both my kids are now incoming seniors! Matthew just started marching band camp today, his last one for high school :sad:

Slo- Wow! Your dd's have grown! Sounds like things are busy with softball for you and the dd's.

Hi Rose! WOW your "kids" are grown too..

Hey, Disers! Just had my 4th baby a little over a week ago. Been a busy summer, but things should quiet down somewhat once the older 2 head back to school. I took my oldest to high school registration today! I am also happily looking forward to a November trip with my dad and the two littlest ones who will be 2 1/2 and 3 months. We normally go in summer, so I'm looking forward to cooler temps and lower crowds.
Hope you are all doing well!

:eek: a 4th baby..congrats..one in hs and then 3 little ones.. bless you!

Well we are just going along.. DS#1 is in Colorado and DS#2 is entering his Sr year at U of ILL. WOW do they grown up fast!
DH retired ( YES he RETIRED) at the end of the year and is still figuring out back to work, work pt, etc.. I am still pt at the senior center ..but I leave in one week for a BIG trip! Med, WBTA and So Caribbean...:dance3:

Hey everyone! I hope you've all had a great summer! My nanny informed me on Monday that she found another job. Does anyone know of any child care options near Hoffman Estates? We are really looking for another nanny (with experience and references) to come to our home, but we would be willing to take her to another home or a daycare. My daughter is 6 months. Thanks in advance!

Hi Friends!!! :wave:
Long time, no see.
How's everyone doing?
Life is moving quickly at our house.:teleport:
Katie has softball year round now. Between team and private practice (pitching), she's doing softball 6 days a week.:D
Stephanie just finished with her spring musical at the HS, and now she is concentrating on the publishing department at the HS. They are busy working on the yearbook and the newspaper.:smooth:
Kevin and I are busy trying to keep up. o_O

We aren't going on any vacations this year again :worried:
The kids schedule just will not allow it (mostly Katie's schedule)
I would like to get back to WDW before Stephanie goes to college, but I just don't know if it will happen:worried:
I'm really missing it - ALOT!!!

I hope all is well with everyone.
Take care :wave2:

Hi Slo!!! Good to see you popping in and resurrecting the old Chicago Dis Board. We are really busy here as well. Kellie just finished with Show Choir performance season and is now gearing up for Peter Pan Ballet. It's in Lowell IN again at the high school April 18th and 19th. They are working on a split cast this year so she is Wendy for some shows and Tinkerbell for others. Plus she still has her regular ballet classes 3 nights a week for their spring show at the beginning of June, and she is now back to work at our little ice cream shop. Kyle is still active at Tae Kwan Doe 2 nights a week and is playing tennis on the tennis team in high school 4 days a week. Still working 30 hours a week myself and volunteering for the kids' activities. It's nuts around here. Excited for a bit of a break over spring break. We will be visiting family on the West Coast and catching one day at Disneyland :yay:while we are out there. Patiently :sad2: (or not) waiting for warmer weather to arrrive. How about everyone else?

Hi Ladies! Nice to see the thread pop up! We are all good on my end! Hope the thread finds you all happy and healthy! Still managing a visit to WDW every year...actually going to visit Disneyland for Spring break and WDW in August! Still a full blown addict! My kids are in 3rd and 6th grade and I am teaching 2nd grade full-time at the same school(of course my whole classroom has a Disney theme). We are still in Chicago and my school is a CPS school too. We are all doing good! Hope all of you are too.

Last edited:
Hello all long time no see. I am busier than normal. Remodeling my house, Alex is winding down his Soph yr in College, and me I am getting married again. Yeah big changes here

Hi Everyone!!!

I'm 55 Days away from my May trip. I'm going to WDW for the 24hr Day at MK. This is gonna be CRAZY, but I think this will be my last chance to do it...I'm used to more laid back Disney trips now...LOL...

I have my four sit-down meals booked. You can read about them HERE:
The Disney Dork Blog: Walt Disney World, Here I Come...2015 Edition....62 Days and Counting...

I also booked all my FastPass+ choices, so I'm good on that part...I still need to add Memory Maker to my pacakge...I'm staying Pop Century in a preferred room...I'll be doing enough walking at the parks...I actually got a great deal for my May trip with a Disney discount code, COULD NOT pass it up...I'm going with a friend who has not been to WDW in YEARS...so this 5 day trip should be good enough to hold off till my next trip...(YES, I'm already thinking about the next trip...)...

Hope every one is having a Magical Day!!!

John

TGIF!!!:smooth:

Katie strained her bicep muscle, so we are taking a break from pitching the next couple of days.
It's kinda nice to know that I can go home and stay home :-)

Yesterday we traded in our 2013 Explorer to buy a 2015 Toyota Sienna Mini Van.
My Explorer was a piece of garbage in the snow, and I couldn't go another winter with it.
So, I went back to a mini van, because I love them, and missed it.
I'm very happy now :drive:

Stephanie is with us this weekend, cause her boyfriend is out of town.
It's nice to have her with us for more than 30 minutes a day.
(this is in no way knocking her boyfriend - I really like the kid)

Tigggggggernnnnnnnnnnnnn2 - I love seeing what your kids are doing on facebook. Good luck to them in all their continued activities pixiedust:

Debbie - Have fun on your upcoming trips :earboy2: I look forward to seeing your pictures on facebook :goodvibes

Hersey - Great news about getting married again!! :goodvibes Congratulations!!!:flower:

DisneyDork - Your trip sounds fun!!! Have a great time!!!:mickeyjum

Have good weekend everyone!! :wave:

I see my last status update was the day I was going in for surgery. So, here's a quick (yeah, right) update...

So, June 17th, I went under the knife to have the top half of my left kidney removed due to cancer. Recovery was pretty quick and uneventful, aside from a lot of shoulder pain that I had from the time I woke up in recovery. After x-rays, MRI's, orthopedic surgeon visits, therapy, etc, we really couldn't figure out what was wrong. The orthopedic's best guess was tendinitis.

I was released back to work on Aug 1. On Aug 2, I noticed I was beginning to slur my words after talking for a few minutes. I tried not to let Carol notice as I knew she would get worried I was having a stroke. The next morning, I made it about halfway through breakfast before I started having trouble actually chewing my food and swallowing it. Still hiding it from Carol. Finally, that afternoon, I came in from mowing the lawn a bit out of breath and sat on our love seat. At one point, I layed over on my side and realized I was suddenly having trouble breathing, but when I sat up I could breathe again. I finally got up and told Carol we needed to go to the ER because I thought I might be having a stroke.

Fast forward a barrage of medical tests later (the brain CT was fun as everytime I laid back, I stopped breathing. It took some interesting cooperation between me and the CT technician to finally get me into the machine long enough to grab the scan), they sent me home thinking I had asthma. Next day, I stopped breathing everytime I sat in my car seat. After standing in the rain for 5 minutes, I was finally able to catch my breath enough to manage to get into my car without passing out. I ended up leaving work at noon that day and landed in the ER again. This time they kept me while a barrage of doctors passed through, running tests, scratching their heads, telling me how baffled they were and leaving. The one common denominator seemed to be everything pointing to a neurological issue. I finally had them call Carol's neurologist in.

Skipping past the rest, he finally figured out I have Myasthenia Gravis. It's an autoimmune disorder that attacks the neuromuscular junction, like it's more popular sibling disease ALS. Fortunately, while not curable, MG is treatable with medication. The remainder of the year saw me slowly stabilizing day by day. As of February, I think I'm finally back to a pretty decent point.

I did lose 80 Lbs last year, though the weight loss stopped around September. A week ago, my doctor tweaked my meds again and it seems to have restarted my weight loss again, as I'm down about 5 Lbs since then.

So, hoping 2015 is a heck of a lot better year!!!

Holy cow Crissup....I am so sorry to hear about all your health problems:worried:

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a better 2015. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.:hug:

Thanks Slo. :)

I don't consider it as bad as it sounds. The way I see it, I made it to age 50 with zero major surgeries (nothing deeper than the skin), so I think I've been really fortunate. They found the cancer before it metasticized (kidney cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer if not caught very early), so I'm lucky that the remediation was as easy as a surgery. And while, general surgery can be pretty invasive, I had a surgeon thats been cutting people open for 35 years, so I was very confident I was in good hands. And as major diseases go, I could have fared far worse. At least MG is treatable. So, truthfully, I'm actually counting my blessings.

But I do have to laugh at myself. I can never seem to tell any story and make it short because I'm so detail oriented. So, when my neurologist first showed up and asked me what was going on (he knew me, so he knew how I normally spoke, so he recognized instantly that my speaking was off), I started giving him all the details of every symptom, whether I thought they were related or not, for the previous week and exactly what I was doing as the symptoms occurred. He finally looked at me laughing and said "That is the most detailed background I've ever heard". When I apologized, he said "No, that's great, it fills every possible question I could have". LOL!

But I'm still looking forward to a far more normal and relaxed 2015. ;)

Crissup, so sorry to hear all of your health issues. Good to hear they have a handle on the problem now and here is praying that all goes well from this point on. AND FYI.....if one thinks he may be having a stroke, it is most important to call 911 immediately. The first 3 hours after the symptoms appear are the most critical for getting it diagnosed (or cleared) so it can be treated in hopes of the best outcome. So please don't anyone ever ignore any stroke symptoms. You must think FAST- Face: smile and look to see if one side of your mouth droops. Arms: raise both arms and watch to see if one drifts downward, Speech: say a simple phrase and see if it sounds slurred or funny, and Time: if any of these symptoms are present, call 911 immediately.

That is my good service announcement for the day. :teacher:

Crissup, so sorry to hear all of your health issues. Good to hear they have a handle on the problem now and here is praying that all goes well from this point on.

Thanks TiggerRN!! :) Actually, I actually had all those symptoms. When I have a flare up, my right shoulder gets weak and I can't hold my arm up very long, so you will see the right arm droop before the other. And I lose a lot of my muscle control around my face and mouth, so if you look at some of my recent photos, my smile tends to look like I'm just holding my mouth open because I can't form a smile (it's also part of what makes it hard to eat and soup and liquids tend to dribble out from my inability to close my lips). It also causes me to slur my words. The regional director at work thought I was pumped up on pain killers because I couldn't form my words. Fortunately, the first night I went to the ER, we managed to finally get a CT of my brain, so we knew it wasn't a stroke. And when I finally landed in the hospital after the second ER visit, they did end up doing another w/ tracer, so we knew it wasn't a stroke at that point.

The second CT, after I was admitted, is an exciting story in itself. I finally had them call respiratory so that we could use my CPAP as a quick and dirty makeshift respirator while I was in the machine. So, as we finally got the pressures cranked up high enough to get me into the machine, and they almost have me completely in the machine, the CPAP powers off, leaving me unable to breathe. Of course, I'm suddenly gasping for breath while the technicians are scrambling to try and get me out of the machine as quickly as possible. So, I started to quickly roll onto my side so I could breathe again (my problem was my diaphragm was too weak to breathe on it's own), while also ensuring I stay centered on the rail so I don't roll off. The technicians freaked out thinking I'm trying to jump out of the CT machine. LOL! It turned out that just as the had me a few inches short of where they needed me in the machine, the CPAP cord had run out of slack and came unplugged. LOL! So, we had to give my diaphragm another 10 minutes to recover and then start all over again. But we finally got it done.

When we did the X-Ray sniff test, they determined I was getting less than 1-2cm of movement in my diaphragm. At some point, when I wasn't paying attention, they snuck an intubation kit into my room and stashed it behind my bed. They also started doing pulmonary function tests three times a day. Oh what fun! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter