Calling all Chicago DISers #3

Roseprincess -
Is your DS going with the Plainfield Central band by any chance? That is the same time they are going. DS signed up to go but is playing baseball instead. I really wanted him to do the band trip but he will choose baseball over band any day!

Have a great time!
Lori
Hi,
No, my DS goes to Conant HS in Hoffman Estates. We live in Schaumburg. My DS will be marching in the Disney Festival of Fantasy daytime parade on Tues. March 25 at Magic Kingdom. I guess this parade is replacing the longtime daytime parade at MK.
I know there are other high schools that will be there at WDW the same week.
The neighboring hs by Conant, Schaumburg HS,went on their band trip this past winter break and a few other high schools went then too.
Thanks!

HI to slo, geffric and all :wave2:

We recently got a new laptop, as our other one died last week. Was on an old desktop for about a week and it was running really slow. So glad to have a nice running laptop again.

Rosemarie

Ok.....this is my first post from my phone. I'm seeing there's no smilies :-( That's no fun!!!

We took the girls to the lake today, and it was SO COLD there. The girls thought it was pretty cool to actually walk ON Lake Michigan.

The week coming up is pretty busy. Katie has a couple pitching practices and batting practice. Stephanie has soccer referee training and soccer training. Kevin and I have a dinner dance and softball player evaluations. Then we end the week with Stephanie's soccer tournament. Never a dull moment at our house, but I love it!!

Well, I'm off to get my Sunday pizza and curl up under a blanket. Have a good night!!

Hey, all. For a few of you, long time, no see. Others I see in Facebook all the time! :)

Happy Saturday everyone!!!! :wave:

Thought I'd stop in and say before I go to work.

What's on everyone's agenda for this weekend?

Not much for me, which is pretty nice.
Just work, pitching practice today and read at church tonight.
Tomorrow there's batting practice at and that's about it
I'm glad things are kinda low key, because my house is gross, and I have so much laundry to do. I don't know if I'll have enough time to catch up, but at least I'll be able to make a dent in it.:rolleyes:
As many of you know, when your kids are really involved with a lot of activities, it takes up an amazing amount of your time (plus we are on the softball board, which takes up even more time, especially this time of the year:upsidedow).
Not complaining, because I actually love it, I just wish I could afford a maid :rotfl:

Well, I'm off to work - have a great day today!!! :wave2:

Hello all! Hope you are managing to stay not-frozen ;) We are all doing well and heading to Disney in September for our 10 year anniversary! WOW, where did the time go?!

Good morning Chicago friends!!! :wave2:

It's nice to have spring finally here.

Now if I could get all the funk out of my house I would be happy.:sick:
Katie was really sick last week, and now Stephanie is really sick.:sick:
I'm praying that I don't get it:laughing:

Everything around here is nothing but softball right now.
Well are preparing for opening day Saturday, which is exciting.
Katie has been practicing like crazy (praying she pitches a good game)
Stephanie is singing The Star Spangled Banner, so she has been practicing that a lot too.

Lots going on around here, and there's never a dull moment.

I hope all is well with you all, and I'll check in again soon!!! :wave:

Hi there--
Kind of new to this thread!

Anyone have any upcoming trips?? We will be headed home Aug 6-13 and it can not come fast enough. Im nervous for going in August because of the heat and crowds. I once went in July and swore I would never again go in the summer. But with my step sons, we don't have a choice. Their mother won't let us take them out of school. We figured a hot and crowded Disney trip is better then no trip at all!

hi tink and :welcome:

doing my annual trip in the fall.
i did go in january also this year and it was soooo cold.....

fall weather suits me better.
i can handle the heat but not the cold.

Im nervous for going in August because of the heat and crowds. I once went in July and swore I would never again go in the summer.

August will still be very hot and crowded, but for me doesn't feel quite as bad as July. I think the summer is already winding down for many at that point, having done their trips earlier in the season. Just remember to drink lots of water or Powerade. I also tend to hit the pickles or pineapple spears from the various fruit stands in the parks.

Sent via my iThingy

August will still be very hot and crowded, but for me doesn't feel quite as bad as July. I think the summer is already winding down for many at that point, having done their trips earlier in the season. Just remember to drink lots of water or Powerade. I also tend to hit the pickles or pineapple spears from the various fruit stands in the parks.

Sent via my iThingy

Thanks for the tips. Everyone we tell about going in August tells us we are crazy. Personally I like the beginning of May, warm weather, tame crowds..but we couldn't pull the trip off until August. We will be bringing my 11 month old daughter, grandma is coming so that will make it easier shes ok with taking breaks with her to get her out of the heat. Im excited we are staying at AoA cars suite. We normally stay at Shades of Green. August 6 can not get here soon enough!!!!

we are staying at AoA cars suite. We normally stay at Shades of Green.

So, naturally, AoA isn't going to be quite as convenient to the MK as SoG, since it's a bus trip. But I think you'll enjoy AoA. Remember there is a baby care location in the MK near the Crystal Palace. You'll be right near Caribbean Beach Resort , which is generally easy to get into Shutters for dinner. So you may find that a convenient option.

Sent via my iThingy

So, naturally, AoA isn't going to be quite as convenient to the MK as SoG, since it's a bus trip. But I think you'll enjoy AoA. Remember there is a baby care location in the MK near the Crystal Palace. You'll be right near Caribbean Beach Resort , which is generally easy to get into Shutters for dinner. So you may find that a convenient option.

Sent via my iThingy

Right, that was my hesitation when planning on staying at AoA, but the military discount we get bringing grandma along...I didn't know when we'd ever get the chance again and we just couldn't pass it up! I have 2 step sons who are gonna be 5 at the time of the trip so they will love AoA. I am nervous about the food at AoA--the menu seems a bit different from the other all star/pop food courts which I have stayed at in the past.

We are doing 2 days at MK, 1 day at both Epcot and HS, skipping AK this time. I had to promise to make this trip a bit more relaxing then our last. So we are throwing in 2 pool days, and with the awesome nemo pool, I don't think the kids will mind :wizard: One of our pool days we are going to hit up splitsville for dinner and bowling.

Hi there--
Kind of new to this thread!

Anyone have any upcoming trips?? We will be headed home Aug 6-13 and it can not come fast enough. Im nervous for going in August because of the heat and crowds. I once went in July and swore I would never again go in the summer. But with my step sons, we don't have a choice. Their mother won't let us take them out of school. We figured a hot and crowded Disney trip is better then no trip at all!

Hi Tink!! Welcome aboard!!
I did two August trips last summer. Follow the link in my signature to read the trip report about them both. Lots of tips and fun stuff. The biggest tip I give is to go early for rope drop. Ride what you want to ride before the crowds build, and then leave as it starts to get really warm and more crowded. Head back to your hotel. Lots of fun to be had at AoA and the food in the food court was really good! We stayed at POP with my DS but walked over to AoA food court to eat. With my DD, we stayed at AoA in the Nemo Suites. So much to do there by the pool. You will love it. Feel free to ask anything here. Everyone is very helpful and welcoming.

Hi Tink!! Welcome aboard!!
I did two August trips last summer. Follow the link in my signature to read the trip report about them both. Lots of tips and fun stuff. The biggest tip I give is to go early for rope drop. Ride what you want to ride before the crowds build, and then leave as it starts to get really warm and more crowded. Head back to your hotel. Lots of fun to be had at AoA and the food in the food court was really good! We stayed at POP with my DS but walked over to AoA food court to eat. With my DD, we stayed at AoA in the Nemo Suites. So much to do there by the pool. You will love it. Feel free to ask anything here. Everyone is very helpful and welcoming.

Those are GREAT trip reports!!!

Hi Everyone,

Is everyone LOVING the great weather...FINALLY!!!! LOL!!!

Well I'm headed to Disneyland next Sat for 5 days...however I am going with a walking boot...in late March I slipped on black ice and fractured my right ankle in 5 places...I had surgery 3 days later...I was bed-riden for two weeks, in which I lost 15lbs (the advantage of being bed-ridden)...my ankle is healing very well that I did not need a hard cast just a walking boot...two weeks ago my doctor said I can walk with the boot (no more CRUTCHES!!!)...I also started therapy last week...but as good as I'm coming along, I will be heading to DL with the boot...since I'm still in recovering mode and I don't wanna over-do things, I've decided to rent a ECV for the 5 days at DL...I got it thru Deckert's, a local Anaheim ECV rental company...for 5 days its only $135 (compared to DL's $50/day fees)...this way its delivered to my hotel, I can use it at the hotel, on the streets and all over DL...I figure I can use the ECV to move around DL/DCA, find a spot to park it, then walk to whatever attraction I wanna see...and when I'm tired or just want a break from walking, I have the ECV on standby...

Even thou I am excited about visiting DL, it looks like its gonna be a very low-key touring trip...

First off, 5 rides will be down when I visit...Alice, Finding Nemo, Pirates, Small World and Space Mountain...I'm mostly upset by the IASW closure becuz I wanted to ride it for its 50th Anniversary...oh well...

My main goal on this trip is to get my pic with Anna & Elsa...yes I've heard the waits could be HOURS for the meet & greet...but since I'm in an EVC and my fave rides are closed, I figured this will be the perfect way to meet Anna/Elsa...I'll just wake up early on the Morning Magic day (Tuesday I think), get to the gate before rope drop and head straight to Anna/Elsa...if I do this, I should only be in line for a couple hours and I'll still have the rest of the day to play...I plan on using the Anna/Elsa pic for this year's Christmas Card that I'll send out...its gonna be AWESOME!!! (Yes I know... #ImADisneyDork)

Some of the things I have planned are as floows:

Cafe Orleans lunch on Sat
Fireworks on Sat night
Rancho de Zocalo lunch on Sun
Fireworks at 9:25pm on Sun
Fantasmic! Dessert Party 10:30pm on Sun
Flo's Cafe for breakfast on Mon
Ride Radiator Springs twice (Day and at Night)
Maybe catch a performance of Aladdin
Carthay Circle dinner at 6pm (my FAVE place to eat)
World of Color reserved seating for 8:45pm show on Mon
Storytellers Cafe lunch on Tues
Catch one performance of Soundsational Parade
See a performance of Mickey & the Magical Map
Get my FREE pic at the CHASE lounge in DCA
Maybe do the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour

And yea, ride a few rides at DL/DCA...LOL!!!

The weather should be awesome...crowds should be low(Memeorial Day crowds won't start until Weds or Thurs)...so for a low-key visit to DL, it should be perfect...I'll post my trip review after I get back (I'm also visiting my best friend in Riverside for 5 days...we'll probably do a day trip to San Diego, WeHo and Palm Springs)...

Hope everyone has a great MAGICAL day!!!

John

hey chicagoland homies.........nice weather for once!

i changed my fall plans around and called the day the Visa free dining was available to the public.

oh my............what a wait !!

did get thru after calling for a couple of hours and booked for Sept 30th.
i have the disney visa card but it wasn't necessary to book with it for a package on the day it went public.
and, no $200 deposit for a package.

now all i have to do is figure the fp+ system again.
in january, one of my sons went with me to the motherland for 9 nights so he took over for fp+
i had set everything up in advance but since he has an iphone and i don't, he did the checking and changing while we were in the parks.

it will be horrible for me without a smart phone for my fall trip.........

Hi Chicago friends! :wave2:

Dork - so sorry about your ankle. Isn't Anna/Elsa a FP now? I thought I read that on here someplace. I haven't even seen the movie yet, so not up on that. Your trip sounds great though! I've never used an ECV, but pushed my son around in a wheel chair one year (he was too young for ECV). It was not good for me. :rolleyes:

I booked my annual trip this week too for the free food - Disney visa. I ended up with the exact dates I went last year. Maybe Visa does the exact dates every year? Anyway... my trip is Nov. 9 - 15. Going back to All Star Music. Air fares seem high - will wait a bit to see if they come down. I looked to see when I booked last year and it was in June. $199 RT. Can't beat that. I'd be happy to come close. Normally I let them bump me off to get a free flight for the next year, but I was too tired and crabby. They did ask, but they had put me through so much in security that I passed on it. Stooopidly. :sad2:

And MACRAVEN - I didn't get the FP+ figured out last year, so need to learn it too. I did find out after returning that it wasn't all my fault though. A lot had to do with the WI-FI and magical what ever they call it site. Neither of them seemed to work at the same time. Luckily............ when you are solo... doesn't matter much. With kids.............. would not have been ok.

So - Chicago land son is now working in Wicker Park and living in Logan Square. Broke his collar bone (another biking accident) and was off work for a while. We're not sure what oldest son is doing. He lives next door, but ? Keeps a low profile so he isn't asked to help out. :lmao:

Did a little clean up on river bank today. Can't believe what ends up in that river - ew. ew. Lots of Styrofoam food and drink containers. Water depth is WAY LOW right now though, so good time for cleaning.

Hope you are all well. ROSEPRINCESS princess: - HOW WAS YOUR TRIP? You waited so long for that one - hope it didn't disappoint! Kids have fun? Did Rose Prince go too or just you and kids/school?

:grouphug:

Hi Chicago friends! :wave2:

And MACRAVEN - I didn't get the FP+ figured out last year, so need to learn it too. I did find out after returning that it wasn't all my fault though. A lot had to do with the WI-FI and magical what ever they call it site. Neither of them seemed to work at the same time. Luckily............ when you are solo... doesn't matter much. With kids.............. would not have been ok.

So - Chicago land son is now working in Wicker Park and living in Logan Square. Broke his collar bone (another biking accident) and was off work for a while. We're not sure what oldest son is doing. He lives next door, but ? Keeps a low profile so he isn't asked to help out. :lmao:

:grouphug:

Rmom, i had the fp's all set up but while in the park back in january, some rides went done.
son switched our fp times which saved us......
we didn't lose out on one of the fp then.

one day in epcot the wifi was down for over 6 hours.
had to go to guest services for fp changing.
really a waste of time for us that day.

i am not looking forward to using the fp system online again.

if you don't have a smart phone, lines are long at the kiosks and at gs to set up or change the new fp you want.

broken collar bone...........ouchie!
hope he doesn't have pain and he heals quickly.

do you fly out of MKE or ORD?
i prefer flying out of ord but my last couple of trips have been mke.
mke is closer for me.

I wrote a reply but it got lost in cyber space.

Anyway, HI Everyone:wave2: great to "see" you!

John and sandy - I see you on FB all the time. Great to hear from you. I do read every word you write.

John- your itinerary at DL sounds great. Have so much fun.BTW when I broke my foot, I flunked crutches could never get those things to work for me, so I used a rollie thing and loved it. Mom says be careful getting on and off the plane..so someone in there excitement doesnt step on you. The ECV is a great idea.:thumbsup2

Mac - it think that FP+ is made for my kids who carry a phone around with them and can get it and see their FP times etc.. not for me though. I have it but I tend not to carry a phone that I can easily get to so other then make fp and then printing them out before I leave home, it is not for me..I did change one last time and the cm told me to take a picture of it , if that was easier for me..:rotfl2: no i dont think so.. and dont get me started on Magic Bands.:scared:

Anyway, I am leaving for WDW in one week, :goodvibes.. I wanted to see the 7 dwarf's mine train, but seeing it is all i can do..boo..
but Star Wars weekend and Flower and Garden will be there so I am happy..:cheer2: then i leave on the EBTA..so I am going to have a GREAT time..

DS#2 is finishing his junior year in college, and working for Deloitte this summer. DS#1 in currently in Colorado doing his thing.

DH retired at the end of the year, so we have been adjusting,:scratchin:sad1::confused::sad2:;):faint::happytv:::yes::

I am so ready to leave on my trip and DH can take care of the plants, etc..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter