California Grill - Picture Report - Relive the experience! ADDED MAY '09 Pics Page 23

We will be dining at CG in about 3 weeks - and I cannot wait!!! :cloud9: Thanks so much for taking the time to post these amazing shots! :goodvibes

DH and I love California Grill, however we only seem to make it there every 5th anniversary: ex 15th & 20th.

Those pictures are truly amazing and that food looks so good! I am now starving after looking at all those pictures. And I am extremely happy that I chose CG for my birthday dinner in September. Thank you for posting all of those!

1. Did the halibut taste or smell to fishey? The salmon at CRT smelled way too fishy for my taste and I didn't quite enjoy it.

2. How did you learn to take such great pictures (what type of camera do you have)? Did you have previous experience or did you learn from the Photography board?

3. What is the best time to go to CG to watch Wishes and the best way to a get a great table view?

4. How were you able to take pictures of the restaurant without anyone in there?

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Thanks

1. Did the halibut taste or smell to fishey? The salmon at CRT smelled way too fishy for my taste and I didn't quite enjoy it.

Although smell can be personal, I think I know what you are asking - and the answer for CG is "NO" - no fish I have had there has smelled or tasted fishy. When in doubt about distinct flavors / varieties, ask your server or the chef. They are more than happy to help make selections and can explain what your options are.

2. How did you learn to take such great pictures (what type of camera do you have)? Did you have previous experience or did you learn from the Photography board?

2a. I have a Canon Rebel
Click here for disboard discussion of Canon (my post = #4)

2b. Previous experience
Click here for my photography "credentials".

PS - I couldn't remember where I had posted those thoughts - so I searched on "instamatic" - and noticed the surprising number of "hits" - and the connection with some of the photo contributors on the disboard. I think what you are seeing is years of experience (lighting, composition) honed under the relatively expensive era of film. The great news of digital is that someone can replicate those years and dollars in weeks, without the expense of film and developing. My point - start now, take lots of pictures, learn from your mistakes, learn from what you like on sites like this - you'll be good in no time!!

3. What is the best time to go to CG to watch Wishes and the best way to a get a great table view?

Click here for my thoughts on dining times and Wishes

4. How were you able to take pictures of the restaurant without anyone in there?

We like to eat early (05:30) - and arrive early (5:10-ish). We are typically among the first to go up the elevator (which only ferries about 6 at a time) - allowing for a short window of relative quiet and emptiness while the other diners assemble.

Thank you for posting these delicious pictures for all of us to drool over with.
What do you think about Melrose's coaching again?
Truthfully? I had to look him up!!! I have teenage sons and I like to do what interests them (hence the roller blades, black belt, etc.) - I really enjoy watching the Sabres and going to games - and I can recognize them at lunch at Chef's, but that is about as informed as I get about the hockey world beyond Buffalo!

I have a 16 year old son whom loves to take pictures; hopefully someday as beautiful as yours. He is amazed on how you could put the "LIFE" back to all edibles.

Hi! I've really enjoyed your thread and pics! So much so, in fact, that I just made an ADR for my first visit to CG! My DH can't accompany me on this trip though, and I'm wondering if I'll feel out of place as a lone diner. (I have invited a friend on the trip, but it's unlikely that she'll be coming.)

Also, is the server going to be upset that I won't be eating a 3 or 4 course meal? Besides the fact that I can't eat that much, I'm on a budget. Are they going to fuss if I just want a flatbread and maybe dessert? I considered the lounge as an option, but I do not feel comfortable with it. (Plus, I don't drink.) Any input?

Okay, forget the part about dining solo. I'm going for it! I'd still like to know about the 3-4 course thing. Also, how long does it take to get back downstairs after Wishes ends? I'd imagine that with just one elevator, it could be awhile! I really appreciate any info! TIA!

Hi! I've really enjoyed your thread and pics! So much so, in fact, that I just made an ADR for my first visit to CG! My DH can't accompany me on this trip though, and I'm wondering if I'll feel out of place as a lone diner. (I have invited a friend on the trip, but it's unlikely that she'll be coming.)

Also, is the server going to be upset that I won't be eating a 3 or 4 course meal? Besides the fact that I can't eat that much, I'm on a budget. Are they going to fuss if I just want a flatbread and maybe dessert? I considered the lounge as an option, but I do not feel comfortable with it. (Plus, I don't drink.) Any input?

First of all, I am very pleased that you are going to try CG - it is my all-around favorite!!

I would suggest asking for Walter as your server (have them record it on your reservation - I don't recall his schedule (although the man has a business card he hands out and encourages people like us to call him, let him know when we are coming, and he will ask to work that night, if he can). It is my impression that he would NEVER do ANYTHING to embarrass a guest - not even roll his eyes at a lone guest at a table.

Then order exactly what you want - no more, no less.

That said, we tend to tip on the high side under these circumstances, knowing what the server could have made on multiple people ordering multiple courses - but that is your call!!

Do not be shy about walking over to the bar and kitchen area and engaging people in conversation. This is especially easy to do when you are traveling solo, as no one is deferring to the spousal/partner prerogative for attention. Unless he is incredibly busy (or not working that day), tell Chef Jens how much you enjoy his food (he is very approachable - and appreciates people enjoying his food). He looks like this (haven't taken time to crop my sons - maybe when I have more time...). Let him know you saw pictures of his handiwork on the internet - he'll get a laugh out of that!

p87436182-3.jpg

Okay, forget the part about dining solo. I'm going for it! I'd still like to know about the 3-4 course thing. Also, how long does it take to get back downstairs after Wishes ends? I'd imagine that with just one elevator, it could be awhile! I really appreciate any info! TIA!

It only takes about 10" to get back downstairs - they have all elevators available for this time period - we are usually on one of the first elevators, about 5".

Happy to answer any questions. If it is not too revealing - when are you going?

Thanks for all the advice! September 2nd would be my dinner there. I'm having the hardest time making up my mind to do CG or have a late tea over at the GF. I'd love to try so many of the things at CG, so I'm wondering if I should wait until DH can go, too. Then we could share a variety of courses and dishes, not to mention sharing some romantic, magical moments! :lovestruc ADRs are open at both (5:00 for the Tea and 5:30 at CG) and I keep switching my plans around. Ugh! I need to be decisive!

If I remember correctly, you're going in September also, aren't you?

were those fireworks pics the view from California Grill?? I hope soo!!!!!:woohoo: Dining there the first day we get there. we will arrive in disney around 5:15 pm on July 27th, have reservations at 9:20pm, and will be staying for the MK EMH.. cant waitt!!!:banana: :cool1:

Thanks for all the advice! September 2nd would be my dinner there. I'm having the hardest time making up my mind to do CG or have a late tea over at the GF. I'd love to try so many of the things at CG, so I'm wondering if I should wait until DH can go, too. Then we could share a variety of courses and dishes, not to mention sharing some romantic, magical moments! :lovestruc ADRs are open at both (5:00 for the Tea and 5:30 at CG) and I keep switching my plans around. Ugh! I need to be decisive!

If I remember correctly, you're going in September also, aren't you?

Both are good options

Click here for pictures of the Grand Floridian Tea

You didn't mention whether you could do both - an early tea (2:00 ish, scone, tart & tea) and later, light dinner (6:00 ish couple of appetizers, dessert) - then do them all over again - more fully - on different days - when you return with your husband??? But that's just me thinkin'.....

We will be bookending the DVC member cruise - 3rd week Sep - sounds like you will be gone by then?!

were those fireworks pics the view from California Grill?? I hope soo!!!!!:woohoo: Dining there the first day we get there. we will arrive in disney around 5:15 pm on July 27th, have reservations at 9:20pm, and will be staying for the MK EMH.. cant waitt!!!:banana: :cool1:

All fireworks pictures in this thread are from CG. Not even 2 more days and you'll be there - lucky you!

Your photographs are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!
Do you know what time Wishes is on during August?!! We haven't been to CG for years, but now son is 8 we are definitely going back!!!!!
Debsx

Okay, all joking aside.....are you telling me that I can request that this person be our waiter for our special dinner at CG? I'm breathless because as a former waitress/manager, I know that the personality and enthusiasm of your server can make or take (sorry it can't be break cause honey will be with me so that will save the day!) away from your experience so much. This will be our 25th actual anniversary dinner and it is so ridiculously important to me because our wedding was such a mess! If this man can be our waiter and he is what you say he is, I would be eternally greatful. We too are generous tippers (only less than 20% when its really really bad!) and tip extremely well for good service and a friendly face.

I am also trying to figure out how to go about doing a super special dessert for that night. When we did our 15th there they brought us a gorgeous triple layered fudge/mousse type thing as a surprise. Its nice to be surprised and I have no qualms about just saying "surprise us" but what do I do? Just call and say that to them? CG is also my fav there and I so appreciate any help you can offer.

TIA
Karen

First of all, I am very pleased that you are going to try CG - it is my all-around favorite!!

I would suggest asking for Walter as your server (have them record it on your reservation - I don't recall his schedule (although the man has a business card he hands out and encourages people like us to call him, let him know when we are coming, and he will ask to work that night, if he can). It is my impression that he would NEVER do ANYTHING to embarrass a guest - not even roll his eyes at a lone guest at a table.

Then order exactly what you want - no more, no less.

That said, we tend to tip on the high side under these circumstances, knowing what the server could have made on multiple people ordering multiple courses - but that is your call!!

Do not be shy about walking over to the bar and kitchen area and engaging people in conversation. This is especially easy to do when you are traveling solo, as no one is deferring to the spousal/partner prerogative for attention. Unless he is incredibly busy (or not working that day), tell Chef Jens how much you enjoy his food (he is very approachable - and appreciates people enjoying his food). He looks like this (haven't taken time to crop my sons - maybe when I have more time...). Let him know you saw pictures of his handiwork on the internet - he'll get a laugh out of that!

p87436182-3.jpg

It only takes about 10" to get back downstairs - they have all elevators available for this time period - we are usually on one of the first elevators, about 5".

Happy to answer any questions. If it is not too revealing - when are you going?

Thanks for the input and the GF Tea pics! I decided I'm gonna do the full tea (as dinner) this trip, since I know DH has no interest in the food there, even though he likes tea. This is a quick "passing-thru" trip for me, so I only really have one day. Next trip with DH, CG is definitely on my list!

Okay, all joking aside.....are you telling me that I can request that this person be our waiter for our special dinner at CG? I'm breathless because as a former waitress/manager, I know that the personality and enthusiasm of your server can make or take (sorry it can't be break cause honey will be with me so that will save the day!) away from your experience so much. This will be our 25th actual anniversary dinner and it is so ridiculously important to me because our wedding was such a mess! If this man can be our waiter and he is what you say he is, I would be eternally greatful. We too are generous tippers (only less than 20% when its really really bad!) and tip extremely well for good service and a friendly face.

I am also trying to figure out how to go about doing a super special dessert for that night. When we did our 15th there they brought us a gorgeous triple layered fudge/mousse type thing as a surprise. Its nice to be surprised and I have no qualms about just saying "surprise us" but what do I do? Just call and say that to them? CG is also my fav there and I so appreciate any help you can offer.

TIA
Karen

1. Yes, you can request Walter. I will look for his card (it is in with my receipts - review and re-org some rainy day), but don't wait for it (in case I don't find it in time). When you make (or modify) you reservation, request Walter (Gary was also quite good). Walter mentioned that, if they see a request for him, he will change his schedule - if necessary - if he can. Walter is professional server, personified. I, too, did some time in the restaurant business, and I know of what I speak!! He is very attentive, yet unobtrusive. You tell him how you would like the meal to unfold, and he will make it so.

2. Also have them note on your reservation (you have probably already done so) about your 25th anniversary. Chances are, you will be asked again at the podium and/or table. If they do not, be pro-active. We took my dad there for his 80th birthday, and they are still serving the slice of fudge cake (they also put a slice on the dessert sampler this past June). It so was rich, it took me two days to eat it. (Dad has aged-related diabetes - I was just helping out!!) If you want something more super-special than that, you might want to contact the restaurant ahead of time = through the usual Google channels.

Recap:
- make sure your reservation has 25th anniversary and request for Walter
- At Podium (2nd floor) - make sure you tell them about th 25th anniversary, Walter - and, why not - request a window
- At Hostess Desk (15th floor) - make sure you tell them about 25th anniversary, Walter, window and how excited you are to be there
- At table - make sure you tell Walter about 25th anniversary - make mention to Walter that he came highly recommended and how important this meal is to you - tell him you saw PICTURES, and how high your expectations are for a fabulous meal - and how important the service is to your enjoyment of a meal, as a former member of the restaurant "biz" club. I don't know about you, but when I used to wait tables, fellow servers always cranked it up a notch for us - they knew we would know if the wine label was facing the right direction when poured, that we would notice all the details.....

Finally - let us know how it goes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter