California Grill - Picture Report - Relive the experience! ADDED MAY '09 Pics Page 23

AMAZING pictures. I made an ADR today for CG on January 7, and your photos have made me all the more excited to be finally eating there. :goodvibes

Amazing pictures and the food looks wonderful... especially the sushi plate!!

We will be eating there in September... Can't Wait!!!

Thanks For Sharing

Hi everyone,
we are back! I am almost embarrassed to say that I have already booked our next trip for this Thanksgiving. Did I say that we ate at California Grill twice last week? Yes, it was that "good". The service(both times) was beyond expectations. I will try to post our food pics in a few days(I hope)

Hi everyone,
we are back! I am almost embarrassed to say that I have already booked our next trip for this Thanksgiving. Did I say that we ate at California Grill twice last week? Yes, it was that "good". The service(both times) was beyond expectations. I will try to post our food pics in a few days(I hope)

Can hardly wait for the review!!

I just have to tell you that your pictures are beautiful! So artistic, really lovely. If you ever get tired of your 'bank cube', I am quite certain you could have a successful career in photography.

I can't believe my luck. I was able to book a 6:00pm for 11/30 and 12/2. You are not seeing double. I will be there again twice that week.....:cool1:
Here's my take of the first dinner:
Our service, Jenny O, she was awesome. (spotted us during our second night's dinner, came by and gave me a hug :love: )
I had sashimi as the starter, filet for entree, and the chocolate temptation for dessert. Everything was sooo goooood.
My son had the tuna 3-way, lamb tenderloin, and the banana buzz.
My spouse had the froie gras, the filet and the chocolate molten cake with a scoop of apricot ice cream (I liked the white coffee ice cream better)

Our second dinner, we changed up a little. I had a 2-oz pour of the grand marnier 150 yrs and my spouse had a glass of recommended red. Both paired perfectly with our meals. The food, the atmosphere, and the service were the best of all WDW restaurants. How can you not want to go back for more?
OT, we had dinner at Narcoosee's during that week too. Food was great, but service was horrific. Our server failed to see that we didn't even have our drink (or water) after she brought out our appetizers. By then, we were hot, thirsty, and hungry. So we ate all the appetizers before the water was served to us. Overall, really bad service for a signature restaurant. I don't think I will return again.

Wow, you've really lured me into CG. The pics are amazing. I will try and book for our last night. I am not a huge sushi fan (DH is) but thos dishes look beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Wow, you've really lured me into CG. The pics are amazing. I will try and book for our last night. I am not a huge sushi fan (DH is) but thos dishes look beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Let us know how it goes!

drooling..............
I am a huge sushi fan and I'll be trying Cali Grill for the first time on 9/12...around sunset! Thanks for the pics.

I can't believe my luck. I was able to book a 6:00pm for 11/30 and 12/2. You are not seeing double. I will be there again twice that week.....:cool1:
Here's my take of the first dinner:
Our service, Jenny O, she was awesome. (spotted us during our second night's dinner, came by and gave me a hug :love: )
I had sashimi as the starter, filet for entree, and the chocolate temptation for dessert. Everything was sooo goooood.
My son had the tuna 3-way, lamb tenderloin, and the banana buzz.
My spouse had the froie gras, the filet and the chocolate molten cake with a scoop of apricot ice cream (I liked the white coffee ice cream better)

Our second dinner, we changed up a little. I had a 2-oz pour of the grand marnier 150 yrs and my spouse had a glass of recommended red. Both paired perfectly with our meals. The food, the atmosphere, and the service were the best of all WDW restaurants. How can you not want to go back for more?
OT, we had dinner at Narcoosee's during that week too. Food was great, but service was horrific. Our server failed to see that we didn't even have our drink (or water) after she brought out our appetizers. By then, we were hot, thirsty, and hungry. So we ate all the appetizers before the water was served to us. Overall, really bad service for a signature restaurant. I don't think I will return again.

Glad you enjoyed the grill - let us know where you post! I have had Jenny O - she is very pleasant.

My Narcoosie's experience has been similar to yours - good food, not-so-great services. If you do decide to return, see if you can get Aman.
Link to Narcoosie's pictures - with commentary on service on page 3 post 35

My son is still in the process of uploading all of pictures from last week. He's in the Big Apple with friends. An All teens trip by themselves. :scared1:
When he comes back, I would "encourage" him to act faster.:thumbsup2

I should have read your review of Narcoosee's before dining there last week. I would most definitely request "Aman"; instead we got "Diane" and her "friendly" assistant(not!)
Since we have always eaten at the Grill during the summers (with their seasonal menu change) what will be likely on the menu when we go there after Thanksgiving.

I had a 2-oz pour of the grand marnier 150 yrs and my spouse had a glass of recommended red.

Since you like Grand Marnier, I thought I would mention that you can order a Grand Marnier flight (50 years, 100 years, 150 years - one ounce each) at the CITY Grill (downtown Buffalo) - I don't know how often you get downtown, but it is certainly geographically convenient to Sabres game (corner Main/Seneca). While I am at it - another piece of trivia - the Chef worked for Flagler's and Victoria & Alberts in the early 90's.....

Grand Marnier flight (50 years, 100 years, 150 years - one ounce each) at the CITY Grill

Wow, that sounds really interesting. As a matter of fact, we will be at the Flyers/Sabres game on 11/21/08. I will make a RSVP for City Grill. Thanks for this great suggestion.

..... another piece of trivia - the Chef worked for Flagler's and Victoria & Alberts in the early 90's.....

Don't tell me that you are the Chef.....if so...I'll be da*****..

Don't tell me that you are the Chef.....if so...I'll be da*****..

No, I work across the street and eat lunch there a couple times a month. Organized a couple of work events there, got to know the staff, etc.

1. Yes, you can request Walter. I will look for his card (it is in with my receipts - review and re-org some rainy day), but don't wait for it (in case I don't find it in time). When you make (or modify) you reservation, request Walter (Gary was also quite good). Walter mentioned that, if they see a request for him, he will change his schedule - if necessary - if he can. Walter is professional server, personified. I, too, did some time in the restaurant business, and I know of what I speak!! He is very attentive, yet unobtrusive. You tell him how you would like the meal to unfold, and he will make it so

2. Also have them note on your reservation (you have probably already done so) about your 25th anniversary. Chances are, you will be asked again at the podium and/or table. If they do not, be pro-active. We took my dad there for his 80th birthday, and they are still serving the slice of fudge cake (they also put a slice on the dessert sampler this past June). It so was rich, it took me two days to eat it. (Dad has aged-related diabetes - I was just helping out!!) If you want something more super-special than that, you might want to contact the restaurant ahead of time = through the usual Google channels.

Recap:
- make sure your reservation has 25th anniversary and request for Walter
- At Podium (2nd floor) - make sure you tell them about th 25th anniversary, Walter - and, why not - request a window
- At Hostess Desk (15th floor) - make sure you tell them about 25th anniversary, Walter, window and how excited you are to be there
- At table - make sure you tell Walter about 25th anniversary - make mention to Walter that he came highly recommended and how important this meal is to you - tell him you saw PICTURES, and how high your expectations are for a fabulous meal - and how important the service is to your enjoyment of a meal, as a former member of the restaurant "biz" club. I don't know about you, but when I used to wait tables, fellow servers always cranked it up a notch for us - they knew we would know if the wine label was facing the right direction when poured, that we would notice all the details.....

Finally - let us know how it goes!!

Terribly sorry it took so long to get back to you! I forgot to sub to this post and had surgery a few weeks back so my brain is "on drugs". lol

Thank you so very much for the info. Good to know he is a true professional server. I waitressed at and then managed a restaurant in the Hamptons and if I am dining for an event/special experience I want it to be just that.....special and an event. I will make sure to call and do as you suggested and let Walter know that it was you that recommended him. Since you are a regular, if you'd like to, PM me and I'll drop the name for him as well. It can only enhance your next experience with him to have him know that you think so highly of him. I know I loved my repeaters very much.

Again, thanks a million and we'll be sure to let you know how the trip goes!
Karen

Since you are a regular, if you'd like to, PM me and I'll drop the name for him as well. It can only enhance your next experience with him to have him know that you think so highly of him. I know I loved my repeaters very much.

Sent PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed both the photos and the commentary on your CG meals. My husband and I are going to WDW in September to enjoy the Food & Wine Festival for the 10th year and to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We have elected to try the CG after a 5 year hiatus. We had a less than exemplary meal one Christmas Eve and have not returned, enjoying Yachtsman Steakhouse and Jiko instead.

We are both looking forward to eating here again and your pictures and suggestions have whetted our appetite! We will be there in only 40 more dinners! Thanks for the pictorial.

I have thoroughly enjoyed both the photos and the commentary on your CG meals. My husband and I are going to WDW in September to enjoy the Food & Wine Festival for the 10th year and to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We have elected to try the CG after a 5 year hiatus. We had a less than exemplary meal one Christmas Eve and have not returned, enjoying Yachtsman Steakhouse and Jiko instead.

We are both looking forward to eating here again and your pictures and suggestions have whetted our appetite! We will be there in only 40 more dinners! Thanks for the pictorial.

Whew - I sure HOPE the meal meets your expectations, after the build-up!!! Was trying to do the calculations - will you be there 9/26? Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!