California Grill - Picture Report - Relive the experience! ADDED MAY '09 Pics Page 23

I just made a 5:30pm ADR for CG on Nov 30th.
If our ADR is for 5:30, once we check-in do we get to head right upstairs? Or do we wait for our table downstairs?

You do get to go upstairs once you have checked in (presuming they have begun to elevator patrons for the evening) - I would encourage going up a little early - you can walk around, especially on the balcony - enjoy the scenery, scope out Wishes locations, have a drink, etc.

Are the portions filling? Just while I've had sushi I've only had the small supermarket kind and found that the smallish portons doesnt exactly fill me (though I guess it wouldnt with a small amount like that)

Also...do they do non-alcoholic drinks? Me and DBF will be 20 when we go in a few weeks. Sadly both not quite old enough to enjoy the pleasures of fine wine in WDW

Portions filling? I think so, but I don't have a huge appetite. I know the supermarkets-sized sushi - usually about 8 small California rolls? I think you'll find the appetizers comparable for "fill" (no comparison on quality), and the entree sushi very filling. And yes - they make non-alcoholic beverages (smoothies).

Just loading the pictures while "live, on vacation from WDW" - details, descriptions, etc. to follow (something to do when I get home)

Appetizers

Flatbreads

"Beff Churrasco" with Grilled Flank Steak, Sweet Corn Relish, Smoked Cheddar, and Chimichurri Sauce

p368957610-3.jpg

p64399801-4.jpg

Triple Cheese, Pecorino, Asiago, Provolone with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil Pesto

p144812588-4.jpg

Appetizer

Sauteed Hudson Valley Foie Gras with Croissant Bread Pudding, Apricot Chutney and Port Wine Jus

p490550657-4.jpg

Chilled Maine Lobster with Tarragon Remoulade, Toasted Brioche, Micro Celery, and "Fries"

p364011820-4.jpg

Sushi

p420036098-4.jpg

Brioche Crusted Halibut with Crushed Potatoes, Braised Carrots, Serrano ham, and Spring Pea Cappuccino

p163124067-4.jpg

Seared Hawaiin Kona Kampachi with Shiitake Mushrooms, Taro Gnocchi, Corn Butter Sauce, and Togarashi Oil

p528859973-4.jpg

p404030752-3.jpg

Seared Veal Loin with Wild Leeks, Morel Mushrooms, Potato Galette, Brandy Creme, and Ramps Pesto

p138250134-4.jpg

"Strawberry Vacherin"
Pistachio Cake with Buttermilk Ice Cream, Strawberry Sorbet, and Crispy Meringue

p131605885-4.jpg

Valrhona Chocolate Cake and Raspberries
Warm Chocolate Cake with Molten Center, House-made Raspberry Ice Cream (substituted here with white chocolate) and Raspberry Sauce
p301120544-4.jpg

"Chocolate Temptation"
Chocolate Pyramid with Chocolate Gelato, Berry Compote, and Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch

p286889669-3.jpg

You do get to go upstairs once you have checked in (presuming they have begun to elevator patrons for the evening) - I would encourage going up a little early - you can walk around, especially on the balcony - enjoy the scenery, scope out Wishes locations, have a drink, etc.

From what I've read, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, the same time as our ADR. Do you happen to know the EARLIEST that we will be allowed up?

And I don't know if this has already been established - but ehagerty, you must be a professional photographer, no? Your pictures are just amazing! :worship: :worship:

How's the strawberry dessert? How is it like? I have always have the banana buzz thingy. I am thinking of getting something different this time around.

Hello All!:)

We visited WDW in 2006 and decided to try the California Grill as our 'romantic, non-kids' meal.

I was slightly nervous that it would be too 'high brow' for us and that we might feel out of place. Well, I needn't have worried! It was, quite simply, the best meal that I have ever had in my life! And as an experience, it was second to none!

Our server was called Kevin and he was amazing. He couldn't do enough to help us and put us at our ease, yet he was never obtrusive. We asked him to recommend a bottle of wine for us and he was happy to advise - and didn't point out the most expensive bottles!

We were in the centre of the restaurant but we still had amazing views over the magic kingdom - watching the castle change colours was awesome!

My husband had the BLT flatbread and I had the goats cheese ravioli. It was divine. Is it true they don't do the BLT anymore?

For entrees he had the steak and I had the pork tenderloin. Both were amazingly tender and delicious.

Of course we had to have dessert - the honey crunch cake for me and the chocolate cake for hubby.

Watching the fireworks from there was fantastic - perfect end to the meal!

Althought the food was of a quality I'd never experience before the atmosphere in the restaurant was really informal. There were many families with children there - which was great to see.

Well we're going back to WDW in just less than 2 months time - we are definitely going back to the CG and taking the children with us! We can't wait to show it to them.

We are lucky enough to have a free DDP so we are planning lots more meals out at wonderful restaurants - Le Cellier, Artist Point, Narcossees. But I am so excited to be going back to California Grill - my only worry is that I'll want to have exactly the same things as they were so lovely! I must try something new - any suggestions??

Thanks for all your amazing photos!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures!!! I can't wait to eat there in just over a month!!!!:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Wow! What great pictures and what wonderful looking food. We are going to CG in September for my grandmother's 86th birthday - I am so excited now! It should be a wonderful evening. :goodvibes

About how long does a relaxing dinner take at CG? I was wondering if we will finish before the fireworks and have to come back.

Can't wait to hear how the food was.

From what I've read, dinner service starts at 5:30pm, the same time as our ADR. Do you happen to know the EARLIEST that we will be allowed up?

And I don't know if this has already been established - but ehagerty, you must be a professional photographer, no? Your pictures are just amazing! :worship: :worship:

Since you asked this question between meal #1 and meal #2 this trip, I had a chance to ask/observe the "start" time of events. Basically, they staff the desk on the second floor (check in) at 5:00 pm - as soon as you are checked in, they will allow you to proceed to the restaurant (allow a couple of minutes to collect an elevator's worth of patrons). Once in the restaurant, you can get a drink, wander around until you are buzzed. They are still in the process of prepping from 5:00 to 5:30 (finessing the tables, checking silverware, etc.) - kind of like arriving early for a show.

And no, I am not a professional photographer - just a hobby - a creative offset to my job - which is managing global IT projects....

How's the strawberry dessert? How is it like? I have always have the banana buzz thingy. I am thinking of getting something different this time around.

Strawberry dessert was good - I, too like to try something different, something lighter if I am full. Once I copy in the actual menu descriptions, maybe there will be more information to help you decide. Couple of thoughts - Chef Jens mentioned that they are getting a new pastry chef - so you probably want to keep an open mind - what you see here may be changing. Second thought - I was too full to finish my dessert, yet somehow my fork kept finding its way over to that warm chocolate cake and hazelnut torte......

And finally - see you at the HSBC Arena - preseason starts in just 3 months!!

O M G!!!!! Those look awesome!!!! Maybe we need to make a trip over there, just for dessert. Which was yours?

Mine was the strawberry, but we shared them!

Wow! What great pictures and what wonderful looking food. We are going to CG in September for my grandmother's 86th birthday - I am so excited now! It should be a wonderful evening. :goodvibes

About how long does a relaxing dinner take at CG? I was wondering if we will finish before the fireworks and have to come back.

There is probably more detail contained within the thread (a couple of people asked earlier - but I understand not wanting to wade through it all) - but it totally depends on how many courses and how you cue your server regarding timing. You could be out in an hour, if you just ordered entree and dessert - if you had a reason to be out that quickly - but I suggest you pace the meal by communicating your expectations when your server first stops by, especially if you don't want to be rushed.

I haven't made my dining reservations for Sep, but there will almost certainly be at least one stop at the CG (after DVC member cruise). If you look around and see someone who appears to be more interested in taking pictures than eating - that would be me!!

.....and I would have re-arranged my DDP reservations to include a third trip here this vacation - but they were booked!!

Anyway - as with last pictures - I'm posting the pictures - descriptions, captions, opinions will have to follow when I have time. I only have 30 days to play with my PhotoPass pictures and that site is REALLY slow!!!

Disclaimer - some of the items you are about to see were "customized" and not a part of the regular menu. I don't know if they can do this all the time and don't want you to have unrealistic expectations. Still, they very much try to please - so there's no harm in asking if you see something you like...

Sample size corn chowder
Zellwood Sweet Corn Bisque with Nueskte's Applewood Smoked Bacon Foam

p466997221-4.jpg

Kona Fish - so good, we ordered it again
Seared Hawaiian Kona Kampachi with Shiitake Mushrooms, Taro Root, Corn Butter Sauce, and Togarashi Oil

p278122959-4.jpg

Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Tillamook Cheddar Grit Case, Sauteed Asparagus, and Teriyaki Barbeque Sauce

p350652848-4.jpg

Dessert Sampler

p301208124-4.jpg

"Strawberry Vacherin"
Pistachio Cake with Buttermilk Ice Cream ,Strawberry Sorbet, and Crispy Meringue

p50068598-4.jpg

Butterscotch Buzz
Caramlized Bananas and Butterscotch Custard Stack with Caramel Source, Cocoa Nib, and Plantain Chip

p248670824-4.jpg

.....and still, to follow, the amazing sushi entree.....

I inquired as to whether the CG was in the habit/business of "omikase" - chef's choice - preparing an entree's worth of sushi. Yoshe's creations were wonderful!! Pictures now, descriptions later.....

Overview of one of the plates

p427212017-4.jpg

Yellowfin Tuna 3 ways - Poki, Tartare, and Tataki (same as appetizer)

p342626624-4.jpg

p159731555-4.jpg

p201609776-4.jpg

Spicy Tuna Roll
Tuna Tartare, Avocado, Tobikko, and Fireball Sauce

p190312127-4.jpg

"Snake in the Grass" - Eel with Shrimp Tempura, Avocado, and Cucumber

p83651900-4.jpg

California Roll - Jumbo Lump Crab with Avocado and Cucumber

p312807153-4.jpg

Sashimi
Yellowfin Tuna, Salmon, and Hamachi

p87543890-4.jpg

Etc.

p75315849-4.jpg

p112828541-4.jpg

Click here to continue with next post, Sep 08

I am on the shores of Lake Ontario so I understand your mention several pages back of wishing to be at WDW and CG more often! Nothing like a little snow to make you dream of being in that photo you have where you are enjoying a pre dinner cocktail.....*sigh*

As a photographer, thank you for sharing your artistry. The shots are simply amazing and rival any "set and lighted" shots you would see in Bon Appetit, etc. Just fantastic.

As a huge fan of CG, thank you for whetting my appetite for our next visit. We will be spending our 25th anny there on 9/3 and I simply cannot wait to experience the joy of WDW and the great food at CG again to commemorate the day.

Again, thank you a million!!!!

Thank you for posting these delicious pictures for all of us to drool over with.
What do you think about Melrose's coaching again?

Your photography is amazing. just perfect!:lovestruc

We'll be there at the CG in September too. :woohoo: I usually take pics but don't think they even compare to yours so you'll find mine on the Food part II thread!:rotfl2:

Other thought: Does anyone know when the menu usually changes over on the DIS or allears that would be the one that would likely be available in September? I can't remember. Thanks! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter