Boy, The Flu is a Big Budget Buster!!!!

tripletots

DIS Veteran
Last year my DD 14 got the flu. So the whole family had to take Tamiflu, which costs us hundreds of dollars. So this year I thought it would be cheaper to get the flumist (no one likes shots, including me). So I saved up 180.00 (my DH said he didn't need it) and in January we all got the flumist. $30.00 per person! Well, today I took my DD 10 to the doctor because I thought she might have strep. Well they tested her for the flu, which I thought was a BIG waste of time. DUH we just had the flumist 5 weeks ago! Well she tested positive. I am shocked! She's fine, absolutely fine, which I'm thankful for. Now everyone in the family has to take Relenza (pediatrician said Tamiflu wouldn't work?????). Relenza is 80.00 at our local Target and we have a $100.00 deductable. I don't know the total cost yet since the medicine won't be in until tomorrow after 2pm. There goes my Disney savings. I am so bummed.

I know how frustrated you are. My son (as well as the rest of us) always get the flu shot. Well, he has had the flu the past three years and we've all had to take Tamiflu. Luckily, he has never been very sick with the flu so I figure the flu shot must at least help with the symptoms.

Do you really think it's worth it to take all of that? I've lived with people who had the flu and never got it. I've never heard of the whole family going on meds because one person has it?

I have never heard of having to take a drug for the flu even as a preventative measure. Just sounds like a waste of money to me but I guess that's just me.

sorry everyone is not well.. the flu is going around like crazy right now... my kids have never gotten the flu shot. Only me since I work in a ER but I dont always get it and missed it this year.. Havent tried tamiflu either so no comment there.. Mine are sick right now with a viral upper resp infection. lots of fluids, rest and motrin. I think this is the 1st time they actually have been sick at the same time. They are 9 and 7 now..

I could be wrong but I thought I heard the flumist has some active virus in it while the shot doesn't. We get the shot. At my kids school there was a sore throat virus going around. Around 10% of the kids were absent on one of the days I called him in. My oldest almost missed a whole week all he had was a sore throat.

I work in a Pediatrician's office and I got the flu shot (as I have for the past 3 years)this past Oct. and at the beginning of Feb. I woke with all the symptoms. We had 1 girl in our office who didn't get the shot test positive 2 weeks prior to me. I had strain A while she had strain B. I was put on Tamiflu which you must get within 48 hours of when your symptoms first start. The Dr. wrote out prescriptions for my DH and 3 DD's. Tamiflu can be filled as a pill or liquid(same price for both). I paid $91 per script and now wish I hadn't filled them all as it cost me $280 for 3 prescriptions! The Dr. was kind enough to split the liquid between my 2 youngest girls and my DH and oldest DD split the pill pack.When you test positive, Tami flu helps reduce the length of time you're sick. I was diagnosed on a Wed. and by Sat. I was feeling better. Noone else caught it luckily but I stayed to myself the whole time.

As for Relenza, there are 2 types of Strain A out. Tamiflu is not working with strain A H1N1 so the doctors are writing out Relenza, which is inhaled orally, if your test comes back positive for strain A. There isn't a way to tell which strain of A you have(atleast not in our office) just whether or not it's A or B. So, with that being said, the flu shot doesn't always prevent you from catching the flu. I will still continue to get my flu shot every year as will my children. However, if I or one of them catch the flu next year, I will only get the Rx filled for the one who has the actual flu. The rest of us will stear clear and be shipped to aunts or grandma's house for a week UNLESS the price comes down a bit!

Its not only the flu that costs a ton. The baby has pneumonia. Her 4 meds were 70-ish last night and those were my co-pays. We have a high deductible plan so it will be interesting to see what the doc's bill will be. They tested her for the flu and took blood.

I've also never heard of taking preventative meds for the flu. Are you all high risk?

why would you take meds for the flu in the first place let alone when you don't even have the flu???

I could be wrong but I thought I heard the flumist has some active virus in it while the shot doesn't. We get the shot. At my kids school there was a sore throat virus going around. Around 10% of the kids were absent on one of the days I called him in. My oldest almost missed a whole week all he had was a sore throat.

I know that the flumist is not for all people. Heck I sat reading about it today while waiting for the doctor. My kids got their flu shots back when they first came out (could be the problem for the OP since it is seems late to be getting the flu mist) for the flu season. Today's visit was another sinus infection for my youngest as well as her asthma acting up so we left with 3 more prescriptions which included an oral steroid.

As for the sore throat virus, I so hated that one when we had it in December. Watch that one carefully as my 10 year old ended up with pneumonia shortly after having the sore throat virus. This year has been bad with all the viruses and yuckies. My youngest has been sicker this year than she has since she was 3 and it really worries me. We will be starting allergy shots very soon on her. :sad2:

I hope all little ones are feeling better soon. It is no fun having sick little ones or being sick yourself.

OK this is why i've never got a flu shot to start with....

When you think about it...By the time the shots come out the germs/strains are mutated anyway so you could still get sick...

I have had strep several times and while i could have given it to my family...No one ever got it...

Back in college my dh got Mono one semester and i got tested and of course was negative...

The doctor said you're more likely to get sick from or to infect a total stranger than someone close to you...

That's not to say my dd hasn't brought bronchitus into our house a couple times though...(and of course i got it a couple weeks later..)

I understand, except ours are colds. My one of my boys has had some type of cold since before Christmas. I have renamed this last bout, the "Cute Boot Cold". I have spent my whole cute boot fund on visits to the doctor, prescriptions, and tissues. Clean Spring air can not come fast here.

So sorry your DD isn't feeling well and has exposed you all too. :grouphug:
We didn't get flu shots this year and I just heard that a teen who lived not too far away from us died yesterday or today, after having the flu for just 24 hours. :scared1:

A Catholic school on the other side of town has shut down for the rest of the week to keep exposure to a minimum after a majority of students came down with it and also give them time to disinfect the building while the kids are off.
We're in MD and flu season seems to have set in full force.

DD8 had strep last week and is still on antibiotics but I don't expect that to help prevent flu. I'm just encouraging super frequent handwashing and being extra vigilent but have given a lot of thought tonight to getting everybody shots before the end of the week...

I live in Oklahoma, and in the past, my family doctor also gave medicine (Tamiflu) to the whole family if someone in the family tests positive. No one else ever got it.

I know I personally would pay almost any amount of money if I could ensure not getting the flu. :sick: DH and I both got it a few years ago and ever since then we've both gotten our flu shots every year. I get mine free at work but he'll pay $30 for it at the drugstore. I had a 104 fever and literally could not get out of bed for several days. I felt exhausted and sickly for months afterward. I wouldn't wish the flu on anyone.

Taking Tamiflu once diagnosed with the flu will help to lessen your symptoms. I was diagnosed on a Wed. and began taking my 2 doses that day. By Sat. I was feeling better and up and walking around. Had I not taken it, who knows how I would've felt on Sat. I haven't spoken to anyone that didn't take the medicine so I can't compare the pros and cons. I did however give it to my family as a preventative so they didn't wind up sick 2 weeks later. I'd have to say for anyone that is questioning why you are taking it when diagnosed and why you would give it to your family who doesn't have it, google Tamiflu and Relenza and read up on it. Maybe you'll learn why they use it and how it helps so if you or your family member ends up with the flu, you can say whether or not you want one of these medicines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter