• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Box Office Discussion

Saw Secret Life of Pets last night. It was cute and funny, but we didn't think it was as good as the Despicable Mes or Minions. We also liked BFG better. Definitely liked Dory, Zootopia, and Jungle Book better too. I think the Secret Life of Pets plot wasn't as original, unique, or surprising as I would have liked.

Secret Life of Pets did amazingly well this weekend setting a new record. People really want the animated movies nowadays.

Secret Life of Pets did amazingly well this weekend setting a new record. People really want the animated movies nowadays.

Yes...but its largely a cumulative effect of the recent run of dreamworks hits as well..rep matters.

They did $103.5...which actually cut into dory...but still left a respectable $21 mil.
I have a feeling $19 mil of that was people who apparently couldn't get into secret life of pets ;)

Yes...but its largely a cumulative effect of the recent run of dreamworks hits as well..rep matters.

They did $103.5...which actually cut into dory...but still left a respectable $21 mil.
I have a feeling $19 mil of that was people who apparently couldn't get into secret life of pets ;)

Went to the 10:45am showing this morning with the 7yo. Theatre was packed, but the pouring rain could have been part of that. Movie was cute, but the plot was kinda blah...

Went to the 10:45am showing this morning with the 7yo. Theatre was packed, but the pouring rain could have been part of that. Movie was cute, but the plot was kinda blah...
What is this rain you speak of? ;)

I'm seeing cute but weak plot a lot. I would still like to see it though but then I have a thing for pets. I bet that a lot of people are seeing this movie for the same reason.

I don't like any Illumination film I've seen or the vast majority of DreamWorks films. I do love most Pixar and WDAS films.

Having said that...wow...Comcast/Universal are making a stunning challenge to Disney on all fronts. Spectacular success in animation and the parks. Disney has never had a competitor like this.

What is this rain you speak of? ;)

I'm seeing cute but weak plot a lot. I would still like to see it though but then I have a thing for pets. I bet that a lot of people are seeing this movie for the same reason.

I love animals and Lous CK, but I still couldn't totally get into it.

Pets is a B+/B movie...just like Dory is (Yep, I've seen them). I'm a rough judge for an A though and have given only one A- to a movie this year. Pets is cute, it's funny (if it was funnier, it might have gotten the A- b/c when it's funny, it REALLY is funny and dead on true but it needed more), and kids love it while grown ups aren't looking at their watch every 5 seconds begging for it to end (an important thing for kid movies).

It will continue to be huge the next few weeks - Dory will probably still win the summer, but Cap may be in trouble for #2...

Thanks for the link lockedoutlogic. I agree with the author that it's a shame The BFG is doing so horribly because it is a worthwhile and fine family film

Lockedoutlogic...do you think the smashing success of Universal's Illumination, the acquisition of DreamWorks and the spectscular explosion in growth at Universal Orlando has Disney concerned at all?

Lockedoutlogic...do you think the smashing success of Universal's Illumination, the acquisition of DreamWorks and the spectscular explosion in growth at Universal Orlando has Disney concerned at all?
I know you asked him but I doubt it's concerning Disney right now. Dory has been a hit, they have the top 4 movies of the year right now. Disney isn't worried at all yet.

I know you asked him but I doubt it's concerning Disney right now. Dory has been a hit, they have the top 4 movies of the year right now. Disney isn't worried at all yet.
For the year so far, Disney is out earning Universal by $1.5 billion domestically in the box office (a lot more worldwide).

Rteez...thanks for the response.

What about the explosion of growth at the UO parks...the new water park...purchase of moe land...attendance skyrocketing?

Rteez...

For the year so far, Disney is out earning Universal by $1.5 billion domestically in the box office (a lot more worldwide).

Yeah...I guess I'm asming about animation specifkcally and how Universal now has two stdios just like Disney.

Illumination is red-hot and produces films cheaply.

What about the explosion of growth at the UO parks...the new water park...purchase of moe land...attendance skyrocketing?

Rteez...
Like Universal, Disney's attendance increased as well LAST YEAR. But neither increased in the first quarter this year. Seems neither is increasing in the second quarter either according to reports. So Universal's attendance is not sky rocketing.

And if you actually look at all the projects at Disney - Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, GOTG to Epcot, PHase 1 and 2 at Epcot (including Innoventions) supposedly 1-2 projects for Magic Kingdom before 50th, new slide at TL, and possibly BB (rumor)...Disney is doing as much if not more than US when it really comes down to it.

Rteez...
Now that's a little different. I don't think Disney is worried yet but if they keep losing market share to universal that's when the worry starts. They lost I think .9% in market share this past year. While universal gained 1% or so. The new water park isn't going to change things a whole lot except maybe people go to volcano bay instead of one of the Disney water parks. People aren't going to skip one of the theme parks for a day at volcano though.

Once universal announces that third gate, that's when things will become serious.

Like Universal, Disney's attendance increased as well LAST YEAR. But neither increased in the first quarter this year. Seems neither is increasing in the second quarter either according to reports. So Universal's attendance is not sky rocketing.

And if you actually look at all the projects at Disney - Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Pandora, GOTG to Epcot, PHase 1 and 2 at Epcot (including Innoventions) supposedly 1-2 projects for Magic Kingdom before 50th, new slide at TL, and possibly BB (rumor)...Disney is doing as much if not more than US when it really comes down to it.
That is true but I think it's more important to look at market share right now and the rates at which those attendance numbers increase by. I think universal park increased by something like 10%. That's huge. Disneys AK, Epcot, and DHS only increased minimally. Summer attendance has been surprisingly slow compared to the last few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter