• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I am still agonizing over this too. I feel your pain. I feel like the stress of it all is ruining the anticipation of my upcoming vacation. I just cannot figure out what the best decision is and it is driving me crazy!

we are moved to Beach club, was not concerned about noise as much as the lack of the quiet pool which is where we will spend most time at the resort. If this was a trip of just us 2 adults it would have been different but its a family trip and we wanted to be in the villas near a quiet pool. Sorry to those still unsure what to do, its not easy to gamble with vacation money!

This may have already been posted but we are here right now and when we went down to the boat dock we discovered they've cleared a bunch of trees that used to hide the boat dock from view. It was very disappointing to see.

89B70C10-7190-45BF-B6E8-EA1214F8BEDA_zpswvekz8of.jpg

F87452E6-6F39-41A8-AB73-5C766AAE0D15_zps93zlfufa.jpg

78744816-C662-4184-9C5D-5B8143711A15_zpsupd6njml.jpg

This may have already been posted but we are here right now and when we went down to the boat dock we discovered they've cleared a bunch of trees that used to hide the boat dock from view. It was very disappointing to see.

Thanks for posting this. Losing the trees is so sad!

No, this hasn't been posted, at least not here or to the WL/VWL thread. Thank you, @elaw!

The area around the geyser looks naked! According to the plans, there aren't any structures that were to be built in this particular area. This does allow for a better EWP view, which may soon be more obstructed due to shoreline construction. If you're still there, could you ask about it? I found the construction workers to be the most helpful since they don't seem to sign non-disclosure agreements;)

This is the area of elaw's photos, next to the geyser, which isn't even within the project limits in yellow:

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 8.43.51 AM.png
I had to use DVC Mike's image since mine have disappeared at the moment and appear as ?

I'm going to miss those trees. It gave that end of the resort a secluded feeling.

No, this hasn't been posted, at least not here or to the WL/VWL thread. Thank you, @elaw!

The area around the geyser looks naked! According to the plans, there aren't any structures that were to be built in this particular area. This does allow for a better EWP view, which may soon be more obstructed due to shoreline construction. If you're still there, could you ask about it? I found the construction workers to be the most helpful since they don't seem to sign non-disclosure agreements;)

This is the area of elaw's photos, next to the geyser, which isn't even within the project limits in yellow:

View attachment 124743
I had to use DVC Mike's image since mine have disappeared at the moment and appear as ?

I was very surprised and disappointed to see this area cleared ... I remember the after effects of the hurricane of 2004 and this even worse because it is intentional. WDWKOOK, There are no construction workers here (weekend) and we are moving over to the GF RPC today so we won't be able to get any other info from them ... I will ask the CL CM's though.

So I'm still obsessing about my decision to stay at WL vs move. Hoping for any advice or feedback that can give me peace of mind:).

We are going 12/16-12/21. Party of 4, including me, my mom (who has some difficulty walking) my adult sister, and my 7 yo. For my mom and sister, it will be their first trip to WDW and they're unlikely to return anytime soon. So I'd really like it to be "perfect."

We'd originally booked a woods view bunk room. Over the course of multiple phone calls, we were offered $75 off woods view room + extra FP, move to AK pool view, move to CR Garden wing, and finally upgrade to Courtyard view at WL (so less impacted by construction) + extra FP. NOTE: I wasn't offered any of this without asking politely but repeatedly what they could do for us:)

I chose the upgrade to courtyard, reasoning that I love WL and have wanted to stay there at Xmas, plus worried that CR Garden might be a hike for my mom, and AKL (which we love) is kinda far from MK for a short trip that will mostly be spent at MK. Plus extra FPs are helpful as we're trying to see a lot in 6 days.

Now, I'm of course second guessing, wondering if I should have moved, or should still try to move?

TIA for reading this novel (which I realize is a lot of obsessing about a problem that I'm lucky to have in the first place) and for any feedback/advice!
I think you made the right choice. I think courtyard will be perfect and it's so pretty at Christmas.

I was very surprised and disappointed to see this area cleared ... I remember the after effects of the hurricane of 2004 and this even worse because it is intentional. WDWKOOK, There are no construction workers here (weekend) and we are moving over to the GF RPC today so we won't be able to get any other info from them ... I will as the CL CM's though.
Thank you for the reply and for talking with the OFC CMs (who are pretty much sworn to secrecy on everything DVC-related).

Going a bit OT here...RPC?! I think I would have been going up that elevator at 0700 sharp! I love your photos and reports, will you be posting some to the GF thread? We just stayed at GF, (details are in the GF thread - August) and we haven't tried RPC yet, but we'd like to for DD's high school graduation trip next summer. I would love to read your honest opinion on it:hyper:

Did anyone who either took the discount, or move due to construction have Guest Service advise no further changes could be made to reservation? If so, have you attempted to make any changes since then? I might need to change something but, I am apprehensive to ask.

I was very surprised and disappointed to see this area cleared ... I remember the after effects of the hurricane of 2004 and this even worse because it is intentional. WDWKOOK, There are no construction workers here (weekend) and we are moving over to the GF RPC today so we won't be able to get any other info from them ... I will ask the CL CM's though.

Thank you for the reply and for talking with the OFC CMs (who are pretty much sworn to secrecy on everything DVC-related).

Going a bit OT here...RPC?! I think I would have been going up that elevator at 0700 sharp! I love your photos and reports, will you be posting some to the GF thread? We just stayed at GF, (details are in the GF thread - August) and we haven't tried RPC yet, but we'd like to for DD's high school graduation trip next summer. I would love to read your honest opinion on it:hyper:

So, my question is, how can they keep advising those staying at WL that the construction/demo is no where near the lodge and contained to the Villas area? Clearly taking that amount of trees out was not a silent project and could be seen or heard from the Lodge area. So sad!!! I wanted the Lodge to stay as is forever and ever.

Since WL CL is our favorite we're in no hurry to leave ;) ... RPC is our second favorite.

RPC, for us, is the only way we'll stay at GF anymore. Once we tried it we've been hooked. PM me if you need any specific pics of RPC, we'll be there until Thursday until we move to the Poly.

I think you made the right choice. I think courtyard will be perfect and it's so pretty at Christmas.

Thanks for the feedback! Scared by the ongoing construction updates, but think we're going to stay put and hope for the best! We're in Disney at Xmas time, so how bad could it be?:)

I heard, from a CM at the lodge, That the Trout Pass is going away/or being relocated to the boat rental area, and the main pool area is going to be staffed with servers who will take drink orders.

So, my question is, how can they keep advising those staying at WL that the construction/demo is no where near the lodge and contained to the Villas area? Clearly taking that amount of trees out was not a silent project and could be seen or heard from the Lodge area. So sad!!! I wanted the Lodge to stay as is forever and ever.

I think they can keep advising that for a while because that's what they've been told to say when asked. I also think they're defining "construction" differently than we are. The CMs really are often the last to know the real and complete reason for "suspicious resort activity" and many CMs who do know are not allowed to publicly divulge certain details. Any DVC-related project is closely guarded by Disney and falls under different public release rules than ordinary resort maintenance and upkeep, and even that is often not announced, like all the scaffolding.

Since WL CL is our favorite we're in no hurry to leave ;) ... RPC is our second favorite.

RPC, for us, is the only way we'll stay at GF anymore. Once we tried it we've been hooked. PM me if you need any specific pics of RPC, we'll be there until Thursday until we move to the Poly.

What great splits you have!

I heard, from a CM at the lodge, That the Trout Pass is going away/or being relocated to the boat rental area, and the main pool area is going to be staffed with servers who will take drink orders.

Thank you for posting this news, @gschon. I suspect Trout Pass can't be relocated to Teton because that entire area will soon be closing. I'm not even sure why Trout Pass is being impacted since it doesn't appear on the plans as being within the construction limits. Of course, the area that @elaw reported on last night also isn't within the construction limits. I'm at a loss speculating about this news. All I can guess is that it will be in the way of construction that will be going on next to it to make way for the new restaurant. The back of Trout Pass does appear to abut the construction limits shown in yellow here:

Screen Shot 2015-09-20 at 8-1.43.51 AM.png

Last edited:
hmmmmm - we see the photos. Yes, it's different. But on the whole? At least Sandy and I don't see it looking like a bombed out WWII area - yet. In fact, it appears on the surface to be a fairly well planned thinning. What we DON'T see yet are the cabins. Of course we don't - this will take a good 3 years :). And it will be UGLY before it looks good :).

Folks, I'm going to try to do a little work to dig up photos of the Yosemite valley, around the time that the government "civilized" it. Edrigol ("in particular"), the devastation associated with the Ahwanee Lodge:). These events are never pretty :(. But they often result in a well wooded area, with better facilities in the FUTURE.

Those trees were still there in the wee hours of Wednesday morning unless I was more out of it than I thought (last time I used the launch was coming back from MNSSHP), and I don't believe they were MIA on Thursday morning when I checked out (though not positive about that). Must have just happened. So sad and (IMO) totally unnecessary. :(

Granny posted a similar picture over on the Groupies thread on the same day - I think they may have *just* cleared this area out. Reminds me of when Disney went through Fort Wilderness and "cleared out" non-native vegetation (obviously they went further than just non native vegetation). The brown covering on the ground is placed there to make it look more natural and less cleared.

I can't say I'm a fan of the look as to me both the lodge and the campground should have thick woods throughout, but I can see them doing this from the safety point of view. In that aspect, It's nice to be able to see where we're going and what's there. At least now if there are zombies hiding in the swamp areas below the boardwalk we will be able to see them before they attack :D

Last edited:
We think the peace and quiet of our beloved villas is pretty well gone forever...given over to the world's 1 percenters for the benefit of Iger's bottom line. Sorry, chalk it up to change is hard?
Member Services treated us well, as I stated earlier, in regard to our need to switch our location over the holidays. But then, we went in not expecting much.

We think the peace and quiet of our beloved villas is pretty well gone forever...given over to the world's 1 percenters for the benefit of Iger's bottom line. Sorry, chalk it up to change is hard?
Member Services treated us well, as I stated earlier, in regard to our need to switch our location over the holidays. But then, we went in not expecting much.
I agree about that bottom line, and not just about our beloved resort. I can't say I love the tremendous changes being felt all over WDW. It's not about delivering the magic and gaining profits, it is 100% about the profit. This will likely be our last trip for a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter