BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I disagree. I believe clearing this land was a test and a way to prepare us for the shock of what's to come when they start clearing land for the cabins on both sides of the resorts. The dense woods will still exist in areas past the resort, and on the covered wooden walkway side of the Villas, but the rest that is in and around the waterways will look similar to what they did here. Of course, we will only know when the project is done.

Still, the cleared area looks rather "Blah" to me.

On the upside: Mother nature works relentlessly to reclaim her land. Unless they keep at it, the area will eventually fill back in.

I was there last week and a CM said that this was not part of the expansion and that some of the trees were taken down as a safety measure from damage from the storm. You can tell that some of the trees were not sawed off and some were. I doubt they would take the trees down just to test us or prepare us, but I can't say for sure. They were very open about the upcoming construction, wall details, closures, etc. so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be upfront about the trees.

Posting this update from @jtowntoflorida.

Hey guys, we check into VWL last night and just did a little construction recon. There is a small amount of scaffolding on the main lodge facing the villas for the tuck pointing/maintenance work. It's one "bay" of the Lodge and not intrusive at all. We have a room overlooking the villas pool and can't hear a thing from that work.

Beach is still open. There is a surveying crew down at the Hidden Springs pool now...they are on the north side of the pool and seem to be surveying across the pool to the south. Didn't get a chance to walk into the woods yet...it is windy and surprisingly cool this morning so we headed back inside. I'll try to check more later.

Just stopping in to say i recently stopped by the wilderness lodge and loved it. Had a nice dinner at artist point, what a great place. Great food, great atmosphere, great staff. Stayed at the poly this year but may stay at the WL next year if the construction isn't bad.

Thanks, @dansdad !

Today, the nature trail is closed. There is a fence crew here digging post holes (they have on fence company shirts). I couldn't go past the bike rental shop, but did wander around Hidden Springs as much as I could. Irrigation and electrical lines are marked for the fence guys but a bunch of trees are tagged as well. Some have pink tags, some have green tags, and some have blue bands wrapped around them. The blue banded trees are all large perimeter trees mostly along the walkway between the WL and VWL, so I think those are trees to be saved.

I went to the dock and it appears there are some stakes that have been placed in the woods on the north side of the Lodge as well. Near the villas I think there are enough trees and enough space that the cabins won't affect the woodsiness too much, but I can't see how the cabins on the north side can be built without clearcutting the area. There his isn't a lot of real estate to work with there. On the south side, I think the area from the nature trail to the shoreline will be clear cut for the cabins, but there is a wide enough chunk of land with enough trees to preserve the solitude even if some are taken out for the pool expansion.

I have pics I can email for someone to post if someone wants to PM me with their email address.

I'm thinking of renting points for WLV in May. I've never visited a resort before during construction. Does it really affect your stay?

I'm thinking of renting points for WLV in May. I've never visited a resort before during construction. Does it really affect your stay?
Hard to say...for some people, it might. For others, the efforts Disney takes to keep construction as hidden and unobtrusive is enough. We can only guess where construction will be focused at by May. If you look at the maps of what was proposed on the first page of this thread, it could be widespread or contained in segments. At this point, we can only rely on other Dis'ers to be our eyes and ears. Remember, when you rent points, you are often locked into the resort chosen at that time. It's a good way to get a good price though! Enjoy planning! For May, I would choose Beach Club Villas hands down, but that is just me.

Hard to say...for some people, it might. For others, the efforts Disney takes to keep construction as hidden and unobtrusive is enough. We can only guess where construction will be focused at by May. If you look at the maps of what was proposed on the first page of this thread, it could be widespread or contained in segments. At this point, we can only rely on other Dis'ers to be our eyes and ears. Remember, when you rent points, you are often locked into the resort chosen at that time. It's a good way to get a good price though! Enjoy planning! For May, I would choose Beach Club Villas hands down, but that is just me.

Thank you for your input! We are a family of 5 so BCV is out of our budget. Maybe one day...:)

Thank you for your input! We are a family of 5 so BCV is out of our budget. Maybe one day...:)
Would you be looking for a studio or a one bedroom then? I know VWL studio has the pull-down but, not sure about BCV, especially since they are going through a renovation. You could check their thread perhaps for pictures/updates. We have stayed at both, and like everything else, there are pros and cons. However, in your planning, check around because VWL and BCV seem to be very close to the same price per point rental, if not, exactly the same amount in dollars where I have researched.

Both VWL and BWV sleep up to 5 in their studios. BWV just went through renovations and upgraded the rooms to include a pull-down bed. I chose BWV for this trip! Thanks for all of your comments!

Both VWL and BWV sleep up to 5 in their studios. BWV just went through renovations and upgraded the rooms to include a pull-down bed. I chose BWV for this trip! Thanks for all of your comments!
Good for you! BWV is very nice as well. I have not seen the new room photos but, I'm sure it is beautiful. Have a great time! Ps. Highly recommend request room close to elevators. There is only one bank of elevators for the villas and the walks can be long.

Just a reminder that these closures are due to take effect Monday:

~Recreational and leisure amenities are due to be impacted/closed beginning 26 October 2015. This does not mean that some work will not begin earlier, but this is the official closure date for closures.
~ Major impact/closure will be to the VWL pool and the beach, to include the fire pit and playground. The nearest free nightly marshmallow roast is located at Disney's Contemporary Resort. Fort Wilderness offers the Chip 'N Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long. The Sing-A-Long is free, but there is a small charge for the S'Mores kits.

~The Teton Boat and Bike rental and nature trail that begins just behind it will also be closed. However, bike rentals will still be available and nightly movies will instead be shown indoors in the VWL lobby. The spa treatments located within Sturdy Branches will also close. The nearest spa treatments/massages are located next door at Disney's Contemporary Resort and at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.

Posting this update from @jtowntoflorida.

Thank you, @dansdad for the expert C/P work from the WL thread.

Thanks, @dansdad !

Today, the nature trail is closed. There is a fence crew here digging post holes (they have on fence company shirts). I couldn't go past the bike rental shop, but did wander around Hidden Springs as much as I could. Irrigation and electrical lines are marked for the fence guys but a bunch of trees are tagged as well. Some have pink tags, some have green tags, and some have blue bands wrapped around them. The blue banded trees are all large perimeter trees mostly along the walkway between the WL and VWL, so I think those are trees to be saved.

I went to the dock and it appears there are some stakes that have been placed in the woods on the north side of the Lodge as well. Near the villas I think there are enough trees and enough space that the cabins won't affect the woodsiness too much, but I can't see how the cabins on the north side can be built without clearcutting the area. There his isn't a lot of real estate to work with there. On the south side, I think the area from the nature trail to the shoreline will be clear cut for the cabins, but there is a wide enough chunk of land with enough trees to preserve the solitude even if some are taken out for the pool expansion.

I have pics I can email for someone to post if someone wants to PM me with their email address.

Thank you for posting your updates! You no longer have to upload photos to generate an image code. You can just drag your photos right in from your desktop, etc… or choose to upload them directly from your iPhone/iPad, etc... photo library. If none of those options work, let me know.

The fence was completely up by yesterday, but no gates yet. I'd expect the pool to close as scheduled on Monday since most of the work to isolate it is now done.

Well, today's the day construction starts. Crossing my fingers they take their time and don't jump right at it.

These photos were taken by the wonderful @Wood Nymph on 10/24. She posted them to the WL/VWL thread late Wednesday:

South Wing scaffolding:
IMG_2435_zpsybzkvl7h.jpg

IMG_2437_zpsfckncqxx.jpg

South Wing:
IMG_2440_zpsnbtewwxg.jpg

IMG_2441_zps2awa4blt.jpg

IMG_2442_zpstyo63xgy.jpg

IMG_2446_zpswpps3fpf.jpg

IMG_2445_zpst9pz4x5t.jpg

IMG_2443_zps3xsx7mgf.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsewvynja6.jpg

IMG_2447_zpstqybj1wd.jpg

IMG_2453_zpsvkqr7igs.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter