BOULDER RIDGE VILLAS & COPPER CREEK VILLAS & CABINS: Wilderness Lodge DVC Expansion Thread

I would guess that there will be a new "VWL2" property, with a later termination date, as they declare units into inventory. In that case current VWL owners would have the same 7-month window as everybody else.

BOOOOOO! :) But I don't doubt you're right. I would just hate to have two separate VWL contracts ...

If the also convert some normal WL rooms into DVC's - then less rooms for regular paying guests?

AKL did the same for the Jambo DVC rooms - but they have more rooms available than WL ;)

If the also convert some normal WL rooms into DVC's - then less rooms for regular paying guests?
Yes, there doesn't seem to be any thought to add more hotel rooms to the resort. However, "paying guests" will be able to stay in any of the DVC units that aren't booked by DVC members on points.

AKL did the same for the Jambo DVC rooms - but they have more rooms available than WL ;)

...and those existing Main WL Rooms? WDW continues to take a bath on 'em :). It's not just the WL.... it's every Deluxe that HAS to offer a solid 30% discount, season after season, just to get people INTO those existing rooms. I think you will see main hotel DVC room conversions accelerating in the future, at ALL the Deluxe Resorts.

...and those existing Main WL Rooms? WDW continues to take a bath on 'em :). It's not just the WL.... it's every Deluxe that HAS to offer a solid 30% discount, season after season, just to get people INTO those existing rooms. I think you will see main hotel DVC room conversions accelerating in the future, at ALL the Deluxe Resorts.

But it's not like they don't get a good price for those rooms. They've just continued to raise the rack rate and do the discounts to make it seem like a deal. The deals haven't varied much in many years afaik and if rack is raised every year they are still getting more for those rooms each year.

Hi all! I am looking to book just one night at wilderness lodge on sept 2 in a dvc studio. Just want to confirm that:
A) all studios now sleep 5
B) that there is no construction or closure to the pool at this time, and no construction started at the resort

...and those existing Main WL Rooms? WDW continues to take a bath on 'em :). It's not just the WL.... it's every Deluxe that HAS to offer a solid 30% discount, season after season, just to get people INTO those existing rooms.
Doesn't that assume that the full price room rate is only intended to break even? Perhaps Disney's break even point is at only 50% of the room rate.

Hi all! I am looking to book just one night at wilderness lodge on sept 2 in a dvc studio. Just want to confirm that:
A) all studios now sleep 5
B) that there is no construction or closure to the pool at this time, and no construction started at the resort

I will be there at that time. When I was speaking to member services they mentioned that there might be some fencing up and things brought in along the nature trail but that they felt that was the only thing that might be going on at that time.

Oh,and yes, all studios sleep 5.

Last edited:
But it's not like they don't get a good price for those rooms. They've just continued to raise the rack rate and do the discounts to make it seem like a deal. The deals haven't varied much in many years afaik and if rack is raised every year they are still getting more for those rooms each year.

Agreed. Priced a trip next September in 2016 and they want $600+ for WL per night (no discounts provided yet.) Absurd. I'm paying $260 in a week per night there and still pricey; but worth it to me.

A person not familiar with DIS will see the rack rate of $600 per night and see it discounted to $400 per night and think WOW what a bargain let's book this and go!!!

Doesn't that assume that the full price room rate is only intended to break even? Perhaps Disney's break even point is at only 50% of the room rate.

Actually? It only assumes one thing. In the minds of Disney executives, they are loosing 30% of the rental value of these rooms. Constantly. The natural reaction? Reduce supply. And that is what you are seeing.

I'm not on the Disney board :). My opinion counts for squat :). THEIR perception is that, with a reduction of supply with steady demand, discounts can be eliminated :). We'll see how that works in practice.... but let me ask? If you absolutely wanted to stay at a Deluxe, with no discounts.... would you? If enough people say yes - they were right.

Actually? It only assumes one thing. In the minds of Disney executives, they are loosing 30% of the rental value of these rooms. Constantly. The natural reaction? Reduce supply. And that is what you are seeing.

I'm not on the Disney board :). My opinion counts for squat :). THEIR perception is that, with a reduction of supply with steady demand, discounts can be eliminated :). We'll see how that works in practice.... but let me ask? If you absolutely wanted to stay at a Deluxe, with no discounts.... would you? If enough people say yes - they were right.
Oh, how I miss the days when profit was part of business and not all of business. I know people need to make money. It seems that there should be a way to make a profit while serving the guest as well. I'm not sure if I want to buy into DVC. Sometime in the somewhat near future (a few years depending on their success at becoming autonomous) my DH and I will be empty nesters. I love WDW and if DVC makes it more doable then maybe I would think about it. At this point, I find it aggravating that so much is becoming DVC onsite. But I am not complaining really - it just doesn't fit my current travel situation well.

We had a chance to buy into the DVC but decided it wasn't for us. We talked to our lawyer and said it wouldn't be helpful for us in the long run. Plus if when we died our son wouldn't want it. Yes I know he could sell it but why bother if he doesn't want it? If it was in the Caribbean it might be different but it isn't. You can't claim anything on your taxes and would have to claim any if we rented it out. So I was told by the DVC guy and our lawyer.

Disney in my view is not the Disney I knew. I realize it is a business and people will pay no matter what they charge. But they will in the end lose a lot of former loyal guests . Just my two cents.

I was really hoping to make our trip in Srptember our last but my son said he wanted to go with us next year so we can see our only grandson reaction of our favorite place . Which is funny that when we babysit him he ask if we are ever going to him to our happy place lol. I told him to ask his parents. He will be 4 years this October and next year close to 5 yrs old.

hope to hear something soon from Disney before we have to move ourselves.. was hoping for a letter or phone call to the DVC member regarding our reservation. I realize they cant contact me.

Last month I received a letter detailed the refurbishments taking place at Wilderness Lodge this fall. They had already been detailed here on the boards, so this was not news to me.

I had heard about some folks getting various discounts due to the work, so I had called in after receiving the letter and asked if there was anything they could do. I was fairly bummed about all the walking trails, the beach area, and the firepit all being closed. Essentially, all the outdoor aspects of the park (aside from the main pool) were going to be off limits.

The cast member I spoke offered to see if they could find any openings at other resorts, and ultimately came back with an opening at the Poly. However the Poly is going to be under certain refurbs as well, and since we are going at Christmas time we were really looking forward to the decorations at the Lodge, something the Poly doesn't really offer. Oh, and did I mention I was going to have to pay several hundred dollars difference as well? Ya... it made no sense to take their offer, so I passed and just forgot about it.

Yesterday I got a call from Guest Services asking me if I had received my letter about the refurbishments taking place at the lodge, if I had any questions about them, and if there was anything they could do to make my stay easier. I mentioned that I had attempted to look into alternative arrangements, but that I was not keen on the option given to me.

She informed me that they are now honoring the price I already paid and offering several a move to another resort for no extra cost. I asked what my options were, and she pretty much named off every single other deluxe hotel, including the Grand Floridian (which is quite an upgrade).

Ultimately we opted to take a Garden View room at the Contemporary, and it cost us nothing to make the change. The funny thing is, when we first priced out the vacation we wanted to stay at the Contemporary but the exact same dates and options for that resort were $2,000(!) more than staying at the Wilderness Lodge. Since that time I also got the 20% off deal applied to my resort stay at the Lodge along with a free upgrade to a woods view room. So they took my discounted room /free upgrade at the lodge and moved it to an upgraded room at the Contemporary... which was really outstanding on their part.

Are all of the walking paths to Fort Wilderness going to be closed? Are they moving the fire pit to another area or will they stop having movies and fires until after all of the work is completed?

Thanks

Are all of the walking paths to Fort Wilderness going to be closed? Are they moving the fire pit to another area or will they stop having movies and fires until after all of the work is completed?

Thanks
I think all the paths will be closed, the movies will be inside, and you will be directed to the fires at the camp ground. Does anyone know if they are closing these and the pool on Oct 2nd when the fencing goes up. I've called the Wilderness Lodge and gotten conflicting answers on this. Some say they will be fenced but open until Oct 26. Some say they close on Oct 2nd with the fencing. We will be stay Oct 11-17. Thanks for you help!!

Thanks

I just got off the telephone with Disney Guest Experience Services re: the WL construction. Our stay is in early December 2015.

The CM advised me that the construction would be around the DVC quiet pool, and that the beach and nature trail would be closed in order to allow construction access to the pool area. he said that Disney building bungalo-like things at WL was a rumor and that they only thing they will confirm right now is the DVC pool work with the beach and trail closure.

I asked specifically if:

- there would still be walking access to FW ? Yes, via the jogging trail.

- they would still be having the campfire, since the beach would be closed ? No, the campfires will be canceled for the duration. One is free to go to Contemporary or FW for a campfire experience.

- they would still be having the evening movies, normally held on the beach ? Yes, but not in the beach. instead, every evening they will be held indoors in the DVC building in the location they normally use for when it is raining during the movie time.

SW

We originally booked our WL (courtyard room) stay for December 2015 very early -- in early March 2015. The WL stay is the front bookend to a trip that includes WL, the Hyatt at the airport, two consecutive (B2B) Disney Dream cruises, and a final night at the Art of Animation in a Little Mermaid room -- and that night we will also go to MVMCP, which will be our only park visit during the trip.

In late July when the RO discounts for late fall came out we called and had it added to our reservation. At the time we were warned there would be some construction occurring on the site, but the full extent was not explained.

Last night I received a voicemail from a CM at Disney Guest Experience Services asking me to please call them regarding our WL stay.

This morning I called and spent over one hour on hold before I had to give up and go to work. Keep in mind this is calling from Canada to the US.

This evening I called again and was immediately put through to a CM, no hold time.

The CM explained that they were calling all guests who had stays booked at WL for October 26 and later to ensure they were aware of the construction that would be occurring. He explained that the DVC pool would be under construction, and that in order for the workers and equipment to get in to it they were also closing the beach and FW nature trail to allow access. He asked if I had any questions, so I asked about the campfire (it will be canceled), walking access to FW (available via the jogging path), and the evening movies (will be held in the DVC room they normally use for when it rains during the movie).

I asked how affected hte main building would be, as this stay we are not going to the parks and had planned on spending our time at the resort. He explained that becasue we have a courtyard view room we woudl be facing the inner "u" (i.e. main pool and such) and so while we may hear a bit of noise, the pool would probably be louder. I am not so sure about this -- don't some CY rooms face the DVC villas ??

I did explain this was the second year in a row we were going to be affected by WL construction -- our previous trip was November 2014 during the main pool redo.

There was no asking what they can do to make my stay better. There was no offer to move us to another resort or for a per night discount.

I am a little frustrated because I know many of you HAVE been made such offers. I did not know how to bring the issue up, so did not. But I am now wondering what to do.

Suggestions ?? I find it easier to email than to call, but could do either.

SW

We originally booked our WL (courtyard room) stay for December 2015 very early -- in early March 2015. The WL stay is the front bookend to a trip that includes WL, the Hyatt at the airport, two consecutive (B2B) Disney Dream cruises, and a final night at the Art of Animation in a Little Mermaid room -- and that night we will also go to MVMCP, which will be our only park visit during the trip.

In late July when the RO discounts for late fall came out we called and had it added to our reservation. At the time we were warned there would be some construction occurring on the site, but the full extent was not explained.

Last night I received a voicemail from a CM at Disney Guest Experience Services asking me to please call them regarding our WL stay.

This morning I called and spent over one hour on hold before I had to give up and go to work. Keep in mind this is calling from Canada to the US.

This evening I called again and was immediately put through to a CM, no hold time.

The CM explained that they were calling all guests who had stays booked at WL for October 26 and later to ensure they were aware of the construction that would be occurring. He explained that the DVC pool would be under construction, and that in order for the workers and equipment to get in to it they were also closing the beach and FW nature trail to allow access. He asked if I had any questions, so I asked about the campfire (it will be canceled), walking access to FW (available via the jogging path), and the evening movies (will be held in the DVC room they normally use for when it rains during the movie).

I asked how affected hte main building would be, as this stay we are not going to the parks and had planned on spending our time at the resort. He explained that becasue we have a courtyard view room we woudl be facing the inner "u" (i.e. main pool and such) and so while we may hear a bit of noise, the pool would probably be louder. I am not so sure about this -- don't some CY rooms face the DVC villas ??

I did explain this was the second year in a row we were going to be affected by WL construction -- our previous trip was November 2014 during the main pool redo.

There was no asking what they can do to make my stay better. There was no offer to move us to another resort or for a per night discount.

I am a little frustrated because I know many of you HAVE been made such offers. I did not know how to bring the issue up, so did not. But I am now wondering what to do.

Suggestions ?? I find it easier to email than to call, but could do either.

SW
Everyone who has received an adjustment or discount as a result of the construction has ASKED for it DIRECTLY by PHONE from GUEST SERVICES as far as I know. Email will not be successful. So I would suggest you call back, explain about the construction two years in a row, and ask for your options. If they don't have any, tell them you are aware that Guest Services has made adjustments and ask to be transferred. Then when you are talking to Guest Services, find out what the options are and then request what you want. Be prepared to accept SOMETHING and KNOW what it is you want for compensation (discount or change of resort). Above all, be polite and courteous during the conversation. Don't ask about the extent of the inconvenience or any of that stuff - just focus on whatever it is you want to achieve as compensation.

Hope this is helpful to you and best wishes on your call.

As many others have found, it truly depends on the agent. Both during the pool closure last year, and this DVC
Expansion, offers have varied far and wide. Most offers were to take a $100 per night discount, or move. Some were offered moves at no charge, some at a charge. Some were offered certain resorts, some were offered much more limited options. The trend seemed to be offering Animal Kingdom to see if the guest would "bite". If that resort holds no appeal, tell them no thanks. The next line of offerings seemed to be BWI or CR Garden Wing. FTM22 is right, know what option you prefer before calling and make the change, don't let them tell you to think about it and call back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter