BOG subs... At WDW now

I would love to hear if anyone else has been able to make this substitution. We drink ice water and would love to get soup for the drink. I realize that it is a big price jump between the two items, but I was under the impression that QS meals could sub out the drink for a 'snack credit/ side item' and you can use a snack credit for the soup, thus I thought this substitution could happen. Or perhaps is this a case of it happens 'sometimes'? I am going to BOG for lunch on August 30th, so I'd love to hear from others. I will try to do this and report back (if I remember:cutie:) to let you know what happens when we go to BOG.
We had lunch at BOG today. We were able to sub soup for dessert, but we were not allowed to sub soup for the drink. In the past we were able to make this substitute.

The soup is still considered a snack credit though.

Pretty sure soup isn't a snack credit. I do know that you can substitute either potato leek or French onion soup for dessert, which I have done using the dining plan. If you do the pre-order, you can make the exchange right then and there, soup is listed in both the appetizer and dessert categories.
The soup IS a snack credit at BOG and we got to soup instead of our drink last Sept. after they came out with new subs rules. OP I would definitely take this further, as it clearly states in the brochure that this is exactly what you can do.

2017 could prove interesting - with the new DDP will there be changes in the Snack options too, especially since they have now changed the QSDP entitlements.

We had lunch at BOG today. We were able to sub soup for dessert, but we were not allowed to sub soup for the drink. In the past we were able to make this substitute.

The soup is still considered a snack credit though.

While it would be surprising mid-stream, food changes have certainly happened mid year. Since BOG should be it's own profit center, management very well could have made the decision, particularly before Free Dining, to make a change. Since you have verified what OP says it looks like it might have happened.

There is a big difference between a "dessert" swapping snack items and a "drink" swapping as the drinks cost them next to nothing ...

Last edited:

1) Certainly . . . Eateries need top maintain a profit structure/percentage.
2) People should not always expect to substitute.

Except for the fact it is written into the wording of the Dining Plan, so I would expect to be able to substitute.

For Lunch/Dinner
• Entrée
• Dessert*
• Non-Alcoholic Beverage*
* May be substituted for any item that is an eligible snack at the
location.

(from https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...alog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2016Dining.pdf)

I understand it is poor value for the restaurant, but they shouldn't be surprised if people ask when it is in writing. Personally though trying to swap out both dessert and drink feels greedy, but they should allow entree, cupcake and soup as a DP meal as that is only substituting the drink and it says in the brochure it may be done.

Also if you are the sort of person who only drinks water and doesn't want the drink element in the first place, its probably best not to buy the dining plan at all, as you are paying for something you wouldn't normally use.

If it's listed in the "dessert" section of the menu, and it clearly is on Disney's website, you're not "subbing" it for a dessert...it's a dessert choice. You get it instead of a cupcake, cream puff, or eclair. No need for a substitution, it's just another "dessert" choice...an either/or deal. It doesn't have to be a "snack" in that case. Maybe BoG has removed the snack designation from the soups. If that's the case, then no swapping a drink for the soup.

Maybe this is the beginning of some much needed changes at BoG.

If it's listed in the "dessert" section of the menu, and it clearly is on Disney's website, you're not "subbing" it for a dessert...it's a dessert choice. You get it instead of a cupcake, cream puff, or eclair. No need for a substitution, it's just another "dessert" choice...an either/or deal. It doesn't have to be a "snack" in that case. Maybe BoG has removed the snack designation from the soups. If that's the case, then no swapping a drink for the soup.

Maybe this is the beginning of some much needed changes at BoG.

We got soup as a snack credit yesterday.

Upd
Which was it?

Are you able to substitute anything for your drink?

Are you able to substitute anything for your dessert? (irrelevant after 2016)

If they said the drink could not be exchanged .... I understand that, not exactly equal values there.

Soup $6.49 - Drink $3.29 so basically soup is double the cost of a drink.

Soup used to be about $3.99 when they opened and clearly snack price range.
I wonder now if we will see the loss of some snacks since their price has climbed so high.
Even the cupcakes there doubled in price since it opened.
Which I can certainly see being able to swap for soup.

Updated

Updated... Sorry late night at wdw and made a typo... Was not able to sub anything for the drink, had to take a drink.

Reporting back.
We were at BOG for lunch yesterday (August 30th). 4 Disney adults using DDP - trying to use 3 credits / share food.
We ordered 2 braised pork and 1 veggie quiche/salad (so 3 entrees). I had pre-ordered, but they didn't have it (that's ok, no problem, just wanted to mention it). We got one cupcake and 2 soups (allowed to sub out 2 cupcakes for 2 soups no problem). I tried to sub out drink for an order of fries $2.09, but it was not allowed (note, a drink costs more than the fries, but I could not make this substitution). I did not question this (although I do think that they should allow it because it's in the brochure). I guess they are using the fine print to prevent these substitutions. No big deal - we had self serve orange juice for our drink along with ice water and paid the $2.09 for the fries. These 3 entrees, 2 soups, 1 cupcake, fries easily fed 3 of us. BTW, the French Onion soup was good (it usually gets good reviews), but I want to mention how good the potato leek soup tasted! It was really delicious!
Note- tonight for supper we ate at PORS quick service - subbed out our 4 drinks for: 1 soup, 1 cheesecake for later, 1 brownie for later, 1 fruit cup for breakfast tomorrow. We all had ice cream for our dessert. No problem subbing out our drinks here - makes great value for the DDP credits.

Reporting back.
We were at BOG for lunch yesterday (August 30th). 4 Disney adults using DDP - trying to use 3 credits / share food.
We ordered 2 braised pork and 1 veggie quiche/salad (so 3 entrees). I had pre-ordered, but they didn't have it (that's ok, no problem, just wanted to mention it). We got one cupcake and 2 soups (allowed to sub out 2 cupcakes for 2 soups no problem). I tried to sub out drink for an order of fries $2.09, but it was not allowed (note, a drink costs more than the fries, but I could not make this substitution). I did not question this (although I do think that they should allow it because it's in the brochure). I guess they are using the fine print to prevent these substitutions. No big deal - we had self serve orange juice for our drink along with ice water and paid the $2.09 for the fries. These 3 entrees, 2 soups, 1 cupcake, fries easily fed 3 of us. BTW, the French Onion soup was good (it usually gets good reviews), but I want to mention how good the potato leek soup tasted! It was really delicious!
Note- tonight for supper we ate at PORS quick service - subbed out our 4 drinks for: 1 soup, 1 cheesecake for later, 1 brownie for later, 1 fruit cup for breakfast tomorrow. We all had ice cream for our dessert. No problem subbing out our drinks here - makes great value for the DDP credits.
Quick question, if you don't mind. How was the quiche? I've got it pre-ordered, so I'm hoping it's good. I also have French onion soup as the sub for dessert.

Quick question, if you don't mind. How was the quiche? I've got it pre-ordered, so I'm hoping it's good. I also have French onion soup as the sub for dessert.
I always get the quiche and I like it a lot. It's creamy and filling. The salad that comes with it is so good! I love the dressing. I have gotten the quiche 4 times now and keep ordering it. DD and DH swear that the braised pork is the best though:goodvibes Both soups are fantastic. So much cheese on the FO soup!

I always get the quiche and I like it a lot. It's creamy and filling. The salad that comes with it is so good! I love the dressing. I have gotten the quiche 4 times now and keep ordering it. DD and DH swear that the braised pork is the best though:goodvibes Both soups are fantastic. So much cheese on the FO soup!
Thanks! DH has the braised pork and potato leek soup on order so I'm happy to hear that it's good as well. :)

To the OP: we had lunch at BOG on the 25th also! And we shared the roast beef sandwich and had two French Onion soups - no drinks or desserts. We used one QS credit.

I am surprised that they wouldn't let you do this substitution. I would have asked for a manager, as this is totally allowed. We wanted water to drink anyway, so got cups of ice water.

The only place I had an issue was in the China pavilion at Epcot - I wanted to sub the drink for an order of egg rolls (which are a snack credit). The person working the register was a total jerk, but I politely asked for a manager, who was a jerk to his employees (you could observe him behind the counter). He finally "caved in" as though I was asking for something special! Rang it up as a Coke but gave us the egg rolls. Not going back there again! The food wasn't worth it, and neither was the attitude!

To the OP: we had lunch at BOG on the 25th also! And we shared the roast beef sandwich and had two French Onion soups - no drinks or desserts. We used one QS credit.

I am surprised that they wouldn't let you do this substitution. I would have asked for a manager, as this is totally allowed. We wanted water to drink anyway, so got cups of ice water.

The only place I had an issue was in the China pavilion at Epcot - I wanted to sub the drink for an order of egg rolls (which are a snack credit). The person working the register was a total jerk, but I politely asked for a manager, who was a jerk to his employees (you could observe him behind the counter). He finally "caved in" as though I was asking for something special! Rang it up as a Coke but gave us the egg rolls. Not going back there again! The food wasn't worth it, and neither was the attitude!

So it seems you had no issues subbing the drink when you when to BOG? Did you have to ask for a manager, or did they make the substitution with no issue at the register? Thanks for reporting back!

We had absolutely no issues substituting out the drink for the soup. I had preordered it that way I think! They just took one CS meal credit for the meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter