BLT and me! Trip report 8/21-8/25!

Another thanks for taking the time to share your report and pics with us:goodvibes! I can't wait for my first stay at BLT in Oct with DGrD(5) for MNSSHP. We stayed at CR a few years ago for MVMCP and I agree with you about the WONDERFUL!!!! location - there is nothing like 'strollering' a sleeping child past the long bus lines at the end of the night - walking right into the elevator, to your room, and rolling them into bed without ever having to wake them up, fold up the stroller, and get on a bus - especially when you are traveling alone with a little one(s):thumbsup2 I like to split my stays between BWV/CR (and now BLT) for just that reason.

I also agree that as beautiful as Wishes is from CR - seeing it from Main St with the castle in the center is the very best way - and we do it at least once every trip. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Thanks for the pictures and commentary. We are staying in a 1 bedroom MK view @ BLT in January. My DD and I will be celebrating our Birthdays together during the trip and can't wait to stay so close to the Magic Kingdom.

Somewhat off-topic, but what kind of camera do you have? I love your night photos of the fireworks and Contemporary at night. I have trouble getting anything like it with mine so have been wanting a new one.

Somewhat off-topic, but what kind of camera do you have? I love your night photos of the fireworks and Contemporary at night. I have trouble getting anything like it with mine so have been wanting a new one.

I love this little camera! I am really surprised how great the photos are. It is a Nikon Coolpix S51. The really cool part is that it measures 3.5" x 2.5"x .75"! Easy to slip into your pocket!

OK back to Sunday afternoon (8/23). DS17 decided that what he really wanted to do was play miniature golf at the Fantasia golf course. He is a golf nut and the Fairways course is a real challenge. It is not your usual putt-putt type course. A real must for any serious golfers in your group! We have played this course a number of times, but we always had a car. This time we needed to find a way to get there with Disney transportation.

After considering many options, we decided to walk over to the MK and catch a bus to the Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin. This worked out really well, as there was a bus leaving for the Boardwalk when we arrived. The bus stopped at the Boardwalk first, and then on to the Swan. We got off the bus at the Swan and walked out to the street where there were signs pointing the way to the crosswalk to Fantasia Gardens. We had a great time, the course was not too crowded, but it still took around 2 hours to complete the 18 holes.

fantasia.jpg

Once we finished, we decided that we would head over to DHS for dinner. We walked back across the street and headed for the bridge over the canal, planning to walk to DHS. When we got to the canal, the boat was just pulling in on its way to DHS, so we hopped on the boat. It probably saved us a 10-20 minute walk to DHS. Once inside DHS, we decided to head for Chicken Caesar salads at Catalina Eddie’s. It is quick and the salads are made to order. No one was interested in riding any rides, so we wandered around the shops and headed out to the bus stop. We all decided that we wanted to be back at the room in time to see the fireworks from our balcony at 10.

We got back to the room with around 15 minutes to spare. We turned the TV to channel 20, which plays the Wishes soundtrack during the fireworks. We had a very good view of the fireworks (sorry, no photos!), but nothing can compare to being on main street!

Overall, another great day!

Thanks for sharing your first stay at BLT. Really enjoyed your narrative and photos.

Monday (8/24)

Another very quite morning! I headed out with my mug and spent some time people watching in the Contemporary. The view from the Outer Rim Lounge is really nice in the morning and has a great view of the Contemporary pool and Bay Lake. The chairs are very comfortable, and someone had even left a copy of the morning paper!

DSCN0552.jpg

I took the escalator down to the main level and walked out to take a closer look at the pool and children’s water play area;

DSCN0551.jpg

DSCN0550.jpg

The rest of the afternoon was spent at the pool. We grabbed burgers from the Contemporary Sand Bar grill, spent some time by the Contemporary pool and headed back to BLT. My DS challenged me to a game of Bocee Ball. (BLT has 2 Bocee Ball courts and 2 shuffle board courts). You can pick up the balls from the Community Hall, which is near the fountain. I finally won something!! He had managed to stomp me at both shuffleboard and foosball (table in community hall).

There is a model open at BLT (7105 and 7107) and members can drop in for a visit from 2-4pm. My DH and I wanted to see the 1 BR again, so we stopped in. We can’t wait for our 1 BR stay in Feb 2010! Lots more room and a washer and dryer!

We opted to have a light dinner over at the Contemporary Café. The flatbreads are pretty good! DS wanted to spend some time in the arcade at the Contemporary so DH and I headed back to BLT. We headed up to the TOWL and had a drink, it was still very quiet up there with more servers than customers!.. I did remember to pack a few DVDs in my bag, so we watched a movie in the room (very nice flat screen displays with DVD players!) and called it a night. (There were no fireworks at the MK on Monday night!)

Tuesday (8/25)

Our flight today is at 6:15pm. I called ME last night and was told that our ME pickup time was at 3:15 at the Contemporary. I performed my morning ritual (headed to the Contemporary for coffee) and headed back to BLT.

We finished packing left the room around 10:30. We dropped our bags at bell services at the Contemporary. DS wanted more pool time, so he headed off to the pool. DH and I decided to head over to the MK. We wound up in Adventureland and decided to ride Pirates of the Caribbean, there was a 5-10 minute wait, and the air conditioning felt good, it was already well over 90 degrees, by far the hottest day of our trip. We decided to have lunch at La Pirata Y El Perico Restaurant. We both had tacos. They have a pretty nice toppings bar which included some very nice fresh tomatoes. After lunch we headed over to the Haunted Mansion (10 minute wait) and It’s a Small World (5 minute wait).

We decided to catch the monorail back over to the Contemporary, it was getting really hot around 2pm!

We headed back over to the BLT pool to retrieve DS and head back to the Contemporary to catch the ME to the airport. The ME picks up at the Contemporary first and the heads to the WL, the Poly and the GF. We got to the airport with lots of time to spare and had an uneventful flight back to Baltimore.

I have to say that it was one of our most relaxing trips to WDW. We never go in August, so there was no urgency to be park commandos. We really were able to enjoy the resort and we never felt we needed to keep to a schedule.

My only concern is that I may now be spoiled and will want to stay at BLT all the time!

Even my DS was ready to stay!

DSCN0399.jpg

Thanks for such a wonderful report! It makes us all wish we were there!

With 3 adults, would you find yourself staying in a studio again, despite the size? I'm sure you'll be spoiled with your 1 BR stay...with the shower heads, upgraded appliances, W/D, etc. W/D = less luggage. :thumbsup2

I love this little camera! I am really surprised how great the photos are. It is a Nikon Coolpix S51. The really cool part is that it measures 3.5" x 2.5"x .75"! Easy to slip into your pocket!

I can't believe your pics were taken with a point and shoot camera! I thought for sure it was a digital SLR. What setting were you using for the fireworks pictures?

Thanks for such a wonderful report! It makes us all wish we were there!

With 3 adults, would you find yourself staying in a studio again, despite the size? I'm sure you'll be spoiled with your 1 BR stay...with the shower heads, upgraded appliances, W/D, etc. W/D = less luggage. :thumbsup2

Only if I was low on points, or could not get the 1 BR at the resort I wanted. I would also stay in a studio if I knew that I would not be spending much time in the room (there for an event) and had points that needed using. I think I would actually prefer to make a cash reservation at a moderate resort (2 real beds) rather than a studio. Having clean towels everyday is a plus. With DVC, I would really like to have a dryer so that I could throw the towels in it to dry. If you take a shower late in the day, your towel will not be dry in the morning so you have to plan accordingly. I can't see myself ever using the shared laundry.

The picture of your DS(or was it your DH??) lounging on the bench and giving the "thumbs up" made me think of my on DS(26) who will be joining us for our trip to THV in only NINE(9) DAYS! Oh yes, folks......I'm doing the SINGLE DIGIT DANCE.

Thanks so much for a delightful TR. I cannot WAIT to stay at BLT. Hopefully sooner rather than later! :goodvibes

The picture of your DS(or was it your DH??) lounging on the bench and giving the "thumbs up" made me think of my on DS(26) who will be joining us for our trip to THV in only NINE(9) DAYS! Oh yes, folks......I'm doing the SINGLE DIGIT DANCE.

Thanks so much for a delightful TR. I cannot WAIT to stay at BLT. Hopefully sooner rather than later! :goodvibes

It is my six foot DS17! He really liked the resort! Have a great time on your trip!

I can't believe your pics were taken with a point and shoot camera! I thought for sure it was a digital SLR. What setting were you using for the fireworks pictures?

Nothing special, just turned off the flash, centered on the castle and pushed the button!

Hi from Mt. Airy! I agree, gotta love BWI's $49 to MCO deal. Your TR was great. I'm not a DVC member, but am stalking the boards for our trip in October. Thanks for posting!

Wonderful TR! Now I KNOW we're going to have to stay at BLT in one of our upcoming trips!!! Fantastic report, great pictures (especially the fireworks one with the multicolored castle)!

Thanks for sharing your great trip with us!!!

Thanks so much for the link!!! What a GREAT trip! :thumbsup2 I love last minute stuff- just so nice to suddenly be going to WDW when you weren't expecting to. :goodvibes You have gotten me even MORE excited to stay at BLT next Sunday!!!!! :yay: Great TR!!!

Ellen

Thanks for the fab TR. Love all the photos and details. Cannot wait to be able to wander to MK in the mornings. What a stress saver!

Thanks so much
Mandy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter