BL Summer Challenge 2009

Originally Posted by FLAngie
How is everyone deciding how much to lose? I know what I would like to be at, but I am not really sure if that is a realistic weight. My BMI says that I am at a healthy weight, but it is not a weight that I like

Angie - I forgot to say yesterday that regarding choosing a goal weight - for me it is not all about weight - I am also within the healthy weight range accordign to the BMI charts (which are, of course for men and women, both) but I still have a little bit of what they call "abdominal obesity," which means either a waist measurement above 35" or there is a formula for waist to hip ratio and I qualify according to both. Abdominal obesity is apparently indicative of visceral fat, which is the more dangerous kind, so I really want to work until I get that more reduced. Where that is on the scale, I just don't know, but wanted to throw out there that I am keeping that in mind as I'm continuing to find my goal weight.

Good morning, losers! :goodvibes

I hope these QOTD aren't going up too late for the east coast folks as I am on Pacific time here.

My non health goal is to clean out my cellar and have a yard sale, and make a little play area down there, nothing big, but just a place for my son to go and hang out. Also, the financial goals are always in my mind, and right now my goal is to work as little as possible, without going into debt, (32 hrs pays the bills now) and when my son is older, I will work more, and then build up more of a savings. Part of me knows I should be saving more now, but I know my son's childhood is going to go by so fast, and I want to be able to enjoy it as much as possible. I also want to organize my pictures, and scrap more.

Way to go on maintaining, mikamah! When you stop the scale from moving up, that is progress to me. It will be nice to have a "man cave" for Michael. That way when he is older all the kids will hang out at your house and will know what is going on! :lmao:

ITA about working less if you can when your child is younger. I work 4 days a week and love it. I've worked all my life and can continue to do so later but I can never get these precious years of my son's life back. I am a one chick hen so it makes it even more important to me!

Angie - I forgot to say yesterday that regarding choosing a goal weight - for me it is not all about weight - I am also within the healthy weight range accordign to the BMI charts (which are, of course for men and women, both) but I still have a little bit of what they call "abdominal obesity," which means either a waist measurement above 35" or there is a formula for waist to hip ratio and I qualify according to both. Abdominal obesity is apparently indicative of visceral fat, which is the more dangerous kind, so I really want to work until I get that more reduced. Where that is on the scale, I just don't know, but wanted to throw out there that I am keeping that in mind as I'm continuing to find my goal weight.

That is a good reminder, corinnak, that there are many measures of health and that we shouldn't be afraid to change our goals as time goes on to figure out what healthy means for our bodies.

This morning DH and DS headed out with the neighbors to ride the Trail of Hiwatha bike trail. It is a 15 mile ride, mostly downhill, on an old railroad route. http://www.skilookout.com/hiawatha/ I skipped because of the bronchitis. So I have the day pretty much to myself -- except for sitting the neighbor's dog, who is our dog's BFF. I am going to run a couple of errands and then putter around the house. I might even take a nap this afternoon. :cloud9:

So the QOTD for today is this: What would you do if you had an hour or two, or even a day, at home to yourself?

Have a great day, all!

I had a GREAT week, walked a total of 59 miles, avg of 1437 calories and lost 4.5 pounds, down to 209.5.. 4 weeks to lose 9.5!!!

So here's what I realized today - I logged into Sparkpeople for the first time in quite a while - I don't use them for tracking but like the articles and some of the tools are fun etc. I put in my new weight and then used their estimator to calculate a possible "finish" date for my loss. A thing I had not even thought about this time around, since my attitude is basically that it takes how long it takes and I am just plugging away doing my best until then.

Well, it turns out that if I lose a little more than a pound a week (which is a little less than my overall average) I could potentially be done by my birthday in November. That suddenly makes the prospect of maintenance very real and in the foreseeable future.

And I realized that I don't even remember what it feels like to be at a weight of my own preference.

And then I realized that...I'll no longer actually be able to do the BL Challenges. These challenges have been one of the things that have really kept my head in the game this year and the prospect of maintaining without this same kind of support....it's a little scary.

I know we've got one person at goal now and a few approaching, and I have not seen a thread on WISH for maintainers. Have I just been missing it? Is there a possibility of a "maintainer's division" in the BL challenge? One thing I have learned from my couple of times making it to goal is that when I stop working at it, the weight does come creeping back painfully quickly. :sad2:

What a great week you've had, SeedLuvDisney!

Well, it turns out that if I lose a little more than a pound a week (which is a little less than my overall average) I could potentially be done by my birthday in November. That suddenly makes the prospect of maintenance very real and in the foreseeable future.

And I realized that I don't even remember what it feels like to be at a weight of my own preference.

And then I realized that...I'll no longer actually be able to do the BL Challenges. These challenges have been one of the things that have really kept my head in the game this year and the prospect of maintaining without this same kind of support....it's a little scary.

I know we've got one person at goal now and a few approaching, and I have not seen a thread on WISH for maintainers. Have I just been missing it? Is there a possibility of a "maintainer's division" in the BL challenge? One thing I have learned from my couple of times making it to goal is that when I stop working at it, the weight does come creeping back painfully quickly. :sad2:

How exciting corinnak to see your hard work paying off soon! :goodvibes

You are correct that there are several people who are at or close to goal who have been active in our BL challenges. There is some discussion of the possibility of a maintainers portion of the challenge in addition to the regular challenge, especially since a lot of those folks are our good, inspiring, reliable coaches. :love: Like all aspects of a BL challenge, it takes volunteers to run a challenge and keep it active.

Okay, you folks who are getting close to goal, would you be interested in a separate part of a BL challenge for maintainers in the next challenge? Please let us know. :)

So the QOTD for today is this: What would you do if you had an hour or two, or even a day, at home to yourself?

Sleep...and watch movies....and possibly weed my tulip bed. That's about it right now because I am so tired with so much extra work. Was on an overtime shift today (normally my day off) and was supposed to be off at 4...guess where I still am. Yup...still at work. Luckily someone brought in pizza for everyone today so I am able to have dinner....don't worry, I have the points for it!:banana: I am missing a party at my sil's house but we are going to DL with them in 5 weeks so I will have plenty of time to hang with them then.

Congrats to those with such great losses this week! WTG! And for those whose number went the wrong way...well, now you know what didn't work, time to try something different this week.

Sarah

With an hour or two I would read. Magazines, books, it wouldn't matter because I have so many that I would like to read. With a day to myself I would pull out my photos and try to get them organized.

Thanks for all the advice about picking a goal weight. I took a look at some of the other charts and I realize that what I was thinking of for my goal weight is probably not realistic. A 10 lb loss goal sounds like a good idea to start with and then I will re-evaluate when I try on my "can't fit into any longer" clothes:rotfl2: Maybe I will start another 10 lb goal after that:rotfl:

I am going to take a look at sparks people tomorrow and I pulled out a notebook to set on the counter to record everything.

Thanks again!

With an hour or two I would read. Magazines, books, it wouldn't matter because I have so many that I would like to read. With a day to myself I would pull out my photos and try to get them organized.

Thanks for all the advice about picking a goal weight. I took a look at some of the other charts and I realize that what I was thinking of for my goal weight is probably not realistic. A 10 lb loss goal sounds like a good idea to start with and then I will re-evaluate when I try on my "can't fit into any longer" clothes:rotfl2: Maybe I will start another 10 lb goal after that:rotfl:

I am going to take a look at sparks people tomorrow and I pulled out a notebook to set on the counter to record everything.

Thanks again!

Good steps Angie! 10 lbs sounds like a very good realistic goal...you can always reevalute once you are there!

Sarah

Hey everyone - I just wanted to stop in and say Hi!!! We went to MK today and I think I did pretty decent today. I had a granola bar for breakfast. We ate at LTT for lunch and I had the colony salad. That is one super tasty salad. I can't believe it took this many years to try it. We split 2 smoothies amoungst the 4 of us in the afternoon. Dinner was at the Plaza. I had the veggie sandwich, broccoli slaw and a side of chips (there weren't that many on the little plate and everyone helped me eat them. I had one of the chocolate ears from Ryan's sundae and one bite of his ice cream when he didn't finish it. All in all, I feel good about yesterday and today.

Hey everyone - I just wanted to stop in and say Hi!!! We went to MK today and I think I did pretty decent today. I had a granola bar for breakfast. We ate at LTT for lunch and I had the colony salad. That is one super tasty salad. I can't believe it took this many years to try it. We split 2 smoothies amoungst the 4 of us in the afternoon. Dinner was at the Plaza. I had the veggie sandwich, broccoli slaw and a side of chips (there weren't that many on the little plate and everyone helped me eat them. I had one of the chocolate ears from Ryan's sundae and one bite of his ice cream when he didn't finish it. All in all, I feel good about yesterday and today.

Sounds like you are doing great! WTG! Are you having a great time too? After all, you're at Disney!

Sarah

That's about it right now because I am so tired with so much extra work. Was on an overtime shift today (normally my day off) and was supposed to be off at 4...guess where I still am. Yup...still at work. Luckily someone brought in pizza for everyone today so I am able to have dinner....don't worry, I have the points for it!:banana: I am missing a party at my sil's house but we are going to DL with them in 5 weeks so I will have plenty of time to hang with them then.

Sarah, you are such a hard worker always picking up extra shifts and coming in on your day off -- your boss must absolutely love you! :love: I really like that you always have a plan and stick to it which has helped you make such great progress on this challenge I am sure. You go, girl!

Magazines, books, it wouldn't matter because I have so many that I would like to read.

Thanks again!

Angie, I think that you have a great plan. I recall that pjlla said that she added her exercise and COW steps on the same page of her journal. I can't remember if it was pjlla or someone else also wrote a bit about their day to get an idea what worked and what didn't. This is about a healthy lifestyle so we have the rest of our lives to fine tune it and tweak it to work for us. :)

Sounds like a great, OP day, Melanie! :thumbsup2 Glad that you are having a good time. I think that Molli (ohMom) is at WDW now, too.

Let's have a Disney question today, in honor of our Disney travellers, our soon to be Disney travellers, and those of us who wish we were Disney travellers . . . .

Sunday QOTD -- What is your absolute favorite Disney ride? And is there a Disney ride that you don't care whether you ever ride it again?

My absolute favorite Disney ride at DL has to be Pirates of the Caribbean. I have loved that ride since it opened. I always try to make it the first ride I ride and the last ride I ride every trip. My absolute favorite Disney ride at WDW is Spaceship Earth. I have to confess I still miss the old Jeremy Irons version and music but I am getting used to the new one.

The ride I can live without is Stitch -- ugh! I wish that I would have had a chance to ride it when it was Alien Encounter.

Have a great day, OP day all!

I'm almost at goal, but I don't want to have to give up BL. I definitely want to keep participating - whether that is as a maintainer's division or just welcomed into the regular BL. I like the accountability, support, and motivation this thread and you all have given me. I've lost 10 pounds during the summer BL and I couldn't be happier about that. However it works out, I want to be a part of something for fall. :thumbsup2

QOTD: What would you do if you had an hour or two, or even a day, at home to yourself?
If I had a whole day...Lie on the couch watching TV, catch up on movies from my Blockbuster online queue, organize 2 closets, and read a book. Ooh, maybe sit on our teeny patio.

QOTD: Fave Disney ride? And not fave?
My fave is Indiana Jones at DL. A ride I wouldn't miss is Dinosaur. I know it's practically the same ride physically as Indy, but the theming/story didn't entertain me.

Hmmmm, this is tough, but I must say my fave ride is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad....especially at night when the fireworks are going off! As far as a ride I don't care to ride again....Astro orbiter...bleh.

I have done ok today....DH made waffles for breakfast but he figured out the points for me and I used lite syrup. We had veggie stir fry and rice for dinner which I measured out and I have the rest of my points for the day figured out and I brought that food with me to work...I have the evening shift today 4-midnight.

Hope everyone is having a great day and drinking their water!

I got a lot done at home today....organized kids toys, organized son's books, went through daughters closet and took out all the stuff that is too small for her now (sniff, sniff).

Sarah

I havne't made it onto our thread all weekend, but I did have a great weekend. Friday night DH & I relaxed watching our football team finally win!:cool1: Saturday, we spent the day at Barkerville (old gold rush town that is maintained for tourism). We went with DH's 2 sisters, 3 nieces, and BIL, so there was a bunch of us. We got our old-fashioned family picture done, and I think I did okay on eating. I did have a delicious ice cream cone, and lunch was a roast beef dinner with half the plate being steamed veggies (very nice!) There was lots of walking, plus some snuggles with baby niece!

I haven't gotten to any of the PM's for weights, but will get to those tomorrow. Looks like about 20 people have weighed in already.:thumbsup2

If I had an entire day at home by myself, and I could ignore all the things I should do (laundry, etc), I'd probably sit on the couch and do cross-stitch while watching chick flicks & musicals. :goodvibes

Sunday QOTD -- What is your absolute favorite Disney ride? And is there a Disney ride that you don't care whether you ever ride it again?

Absolute favourite ride: very tough question, because its hard to narrow it down to just one. I'm going to say IASM at DL and Mickey's Philharmagic at WDW.
Ride I don't care to do again: Astro Orbiters. long wait, boring & uncomfortable ride.

I was thinking about maintainers, and as Lisah0711 said, she has already brought up the question of what we can do for maintainers.

I was thinking about it from a Weightkeeper perspective, and it would be simple to mark the maintainers separately in the spreadsheet, and look at their actual weight compared to their goal weight. We could set a # from target that is considered a Maintain - for example if your target weight is 150 and we decide that 3 pounds is okay, then if you report anything from 147-153 you are Maintaining! If you report in at 155 then you gained. There could be a Maintainers List, and if you stay within the 3lbs, you stay on the list. Or it might be better to do it as a % from goal instead. It'll take some discussion to decide how to do it.

I hope that was sort of making sense, and its just the start of an idea. I hope to make it to being a maintainer by next spring.:thumbsup2

My fave is Indiana Jones at DL. A ride I wouldn't miss is Dinosaur. I know it's practically the same ride physically as Indy, but the theming/story didn't entertain me.

My Favorite Disney Ride is without A doubt is Space Mountain at WDW. I have been a HUGE HUGE Space Mountain fan since 1981.

I haven't been on the boards much lately but will try to stay caught up this week. I can't believe how fast the summer is passing by. There is a lot on my to do list this week so I've got to stay focused and get them done.

Sounds like you are having a great time and doing great with your plan. Keep having loads of fun!!

Let's have a Disney question today, in honor of our Disney travellers, our soon to be Disney travellers, and those of us who wish we were Disney travellers . . . .

Picking a favorite is hard because there are so many that I love but today I would say my favorite is Pirates. Most of the time you can hit it at a good time with a short line, and it's a cool place to go to when you need a break from the heat. Now for the not so favorite would probably be a tie between Stitch and Laugh Floor, really could do without either of those.

QOTD: What would you do if you had an hour or two, or even a day, at home to yourself?

Oh my, I think I would have to say that I would sit in my chair and cross stitch the day away while watching some good movies.

I was thinking about maintainers, and as Lisah0711 said, she has already brought up the question of what we can do for maintainers.

I was thinking about it from a Weightkeeper perspective, and it would be simple to mark the maintainers separately in the spreadsheet, and look at their actual weight compared to their goal weight. We could set a # from target that is considered a Maintain - for example if your target weight is 150 and we decide that 3 pounds is okay, then if you report anything from 147-153 you are Maintaining! If you report in at 155 then you gained. There could be a Maintainers List, and if you stay within the 3lbs, you stay on the list. Or it might be better to do it as a % from goal instead. It'll take some discussion to decide how to do it.

I hope that was sort of making sense, and its just the start of an idea. I hope to make it to being a maintainer by next spring.:thumbsup2

Even though I have a while before getting to the maintaining, I like the thought of being able to still continue on with the BL.

Have a great day everyone!!

However it works out, I want to be a part of something for fall. :thumbsup2

We are glad to hear that! :goodvibes Congratulations on being close to goal! :cool1:

I got a lot done at home today....organized kids toys, organized son's books, went through daughters closet and took out all the stuff that is too small for her now (sniff, sniff). Sarah

I know, I still get a lump in my throat when I see one of DS's little socks that he wore when he was a baby. :sad1: Then the lump sometimes morphes into more of a growl when I see his men's size 8 shoes left in the middle of the floor but that is another story. pirate:

I havne't made it onto our thread all weekend, but I did have a great weekend. Friday night DH & I relaxed watching our football team finally win!:cool1: Saturday, we spent the day at Barkerville (old gold rush town that is maintained for tourism). We went with DH's 2 sisters, 3 nieces, and BIL, so there was a bunch of us. We got our old-fashioned family picture done, and I think I did okay on eating. I did have a delicious ice cream cone, and lunch was a roast beef dinner with half the plate being steamed veggies (very nice!) There was lots of walking, plus some snuggles with baby niece!

Sounds like you had a great week-end!

I like this idea, maybe you get a special clippie if you maintain that week. I would like to be a maintainer by spring, too. :thumbsup2

QOTD: Fave Disney ride? And not fave? My fave is Indiana Jones at DL. A ride I wouldn't miss is Dinosaur. I know it's practically the same ride physically as Indy, but the theming/story didn't entertain me.

This is interesting, Ron, because I would have guessed Space Mountain was your favorite ride! You know they are doing a special Halloween version at DL this year?

Tammy, we're glad to hear that you want to stick around BL, too. :)

Today's QOTD comes from this Spark People Quiz "Are you ready to change your lifestyle?" http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/assessment_questions.asp?quizid=61

Apparently there are five stages of change that people move through when losing bad habits or creating new ones (pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action and maintenance).

When I took the quiz it said I am in the preparation stage. I believe it because I've spent the last seven months figuring out what works and what doesn't work. Most importantly I've figured out that a half hearted effort isn't going to do what it takes, I need to take a page from corinnak's, pjlla's, and sahbushka's books and really pour it on day after day, week after week. And that is what I am going to do!

You don't have to take the quiz to answer the QOTD but it might be fun if you do.

Monday QOTD -- Are you ready to change your lifestyle to a healthy one? Or if you are there, what was the one big change that helped you get there?

Have a great day, losers!

Monday QOTD -- Are you ready to change your lifestyle to a healthy one? Or if you are there, what was the one big change that helped you get there?

Have a great day, losers!

I took the quiz, and it said I'm in preparation phase. I could just copy Lisa's answer since I too have been figuring out what works and what doesn't.
I believe I am ready and I'm happy that I've made some progress. I need to keep my focus and learn to enjoy exercising more. I still haven't got enough self-discipline to do enough exercising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter