big family = need space

Not when you're looking at Easter week. The Star Movies was $194 for a standard room last Easter and next Easter is bound to be even more. You're talking about $400-$600+ per DAY for All Star Movies :headache:. Not much of a "value", IMO.

@babyruth, I would figure out when cars become available to rent for Easter and JUMP on a minivan right away. Minivans can be very expensive, but you can probably keep it down to under $400 for the week if you book right away.
Totally agree. This is a truth we realized for Easter, and we're only 5 people. Even vs one Mod room, Bonnet Creek is just too incredible to pass up- even with the extra costs.

Not when you're looking at Easter week. The Star Movies was $194 for a standard room last Easter and next Easter is bound to be even more. You're talking about $400-$600+ per DAY for All Star Movies :headache:. Not much of a "value", IMO.

@babyruth, I would figure out when cars become available to rent for Easter and JUMP on a minivan right away. Minivans can be very expensive, but you can probably keep it down to under $400 for the week if you book right away.

You're right - I didn't consider that.

I'd still look at on site - maybe a cabin or DVC rental? I LOVE Pop Century, but don't think it's worth that much!

Another nice option may be the Doubletree Guest Suites in the Disney Springs area (I still want to call it Downtown Disney). The one bedroom suites sleep 6 and have a fridge and microwave, and their bus system is excellent, running every 30 minutes. They do have some 2 bedroom suites as well. It would eliminate the need of a van, and they could use some airport transportation or a van for one day.

I've stayed there a couple of times, and the rooms are huge.

Or even another hotel along that road - they have really decent transportation.

If breaking up when some want to go somewhere and others don't there is always Uber.

You're right - I didn't consider that.

I'd still look at on site - maybe a cabin or DVC rental? I LOVE Pop Century, but don't think it's worth that much!

Another nice option may be the Doubletree Guest Suites in the Disney Springs area (I still want to call it Downtown Disney). The one bedroom suites sleep 6 and have a fridge and microwave, and their bus system is excellent, running every 30 minutes. They do have some 2 bedroom suites as well. It would eliminate the need of a van, and they could use some airport transportation or a van for one day.

I've stayed there a couple of times, and the rooms are huge.

Or even another hotel along that road - they have really decent transportation.

If breaking up when some want to go somewhere and others don't there is always Uber.
One nice thing about the DS Hotels: they come with onsite status during phased park closures, if you ride the hotel bus. That could come into play during Easter week.

Honestly, if I were doing off site, and didn't have a timeshare deal or something, I'd definitely do a DS hotel.

The transportation is the much better than most "off site" places!

One nice thing about the DS Hotels: they come with onsite status during phased park closures, if you ride the hotel bus. That could come into play during Easter week.

really phased park closures over Easter? I am strongly considering a DS hotel. Though Bonnet Creek or Windsor Hills are still looking awesome. I think the teens would like being close to DS though.

I'm sure anything is possible, but the times that we've been over Easter the parks didn't close do to capacity. The only times we've experienced that are between Christmas and NYE.

Still, I think a DS hotel may fit the bill.

I'm sure anything is possible, but the times that we've been over Easter the parks didn't close do to capacity. The only times we've experienced that are between Christmas and NYE.

Still, I think a DS hotel may fit the bill.
Yes, the MK can close at Phase 3 over Easter, Christmas and July 4th. Phases can be found here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/park-closing-phases.htm . When it does close, it usually closes around 10:00 am and re-opens at around 3:00 pm after the parade. If you're offsite, simply plan to be at the parks at rope drop or have FP+ in the evening and you'll be fine.

Oh yes OK now I see what you are saying - it wasn't clicking late last night what you meant by "phased."

My SIL is trying to convince me if we are offsite we won't even get any fastpass+ or have an extremely limited choice. I really don't see lots of people saying that here, though.

Oh yes OK now I see what you are saying - it wasn't clicking late last night what you meant by "phased."

My SIL is trying to convince me if we are offsite we won't even get any fastpass+ or have an extremely limited choice. I really don't see lots of people saying that here, though.
I'm looking at FP for my late June trip (31 days from now) and I am able to get everything including 7DMT. You can also plan on rope dropping it if you can't get something.

I stayed offsite one Christmas week (prior to FP+) and we were fine.

The transportation thing is really sticking me. They aren't old enough to drive rental cars, so one of us has to drive with them. So if I ended up going with an offsite condo I need to factor in shuttle costs if we do end up separating. I'm also thinking it's harder to take an off property "break" with the toddler. The value resort thing may work. I could possibly do a family suite plus an extra room...ASM or AOA

Hertz rents to age 20+. 18+ if they are active military. Several other companies rent to 20+.

Avis says they rent to 18+.

I am not sure where you are getting they are not old enough for a rental car.

hmm I didn't know that about Hertz. But I NEVER rent Hertz. EVER. Ever. worst rental company and have had too many bad experiences with them. I definitely wouldn't put one of my kids in a hertz car. So I guess that's why I didn't know. But looking quickly at a few other big names, none of them will be 21 during this trip. Also my insurance partners with Enterprise so normally, unless they are out of the ballpark with their quote, we use them.

Enterprise The minimum age to rent an Enterprise car is 21 at most locations. Drivers under the age of 25 must pay a higher rental rate and select vehicles are unavailable to those under age 25.

Budget An individual 21-24 years of age. (I typically don't use Budget, either)

National Renters must be 21 or older in most states. Customers under the age of 25 pay a daily fee of $25

oh not active military for any of them, all college students. that's why they are only coming for half the trip. they have to go back to school. their breaks are all in March. I'm actually really glad these companies don't rent to teenagers. Even with the graduated licensing and all the training and classes they took, both our older boys were in accidents the first year they were licensed. (which did run into turning 18 for one of them)

OK sorry that was OT!!! LOL

I'm looking at FP for my late June trip (31 days from now) and I am able to get everything including 7DMT. You can also plan on rope dropping it if you can't get something.

I stayed offsite one Christmas week (prior to FP+) and we were fine.

This is our first time with fastpass+ but I'm sure I'll get it figured out by the time I need to. Once I get the hotel/condo and air set then I'll start thinking about that and ADRs. I think my SIL is just an on property lover and that's fine I would be too....once her kids are older and she can't fit them all in one room I think she will get it. :)

This is our first time with fastpass+ but I'm sure I'll get it figured out by the time I need to. Once I get the hotel/condo and air set then I'll start thinking about that and ADRs. I think my SIL is just an on property lover and that's fine I would be too....once her kids are older and she can't fit them all in one room I think she will get it. :)

Or she may still love on site. Neither is wrong, but I take a little offence at the attitude that off site is better. Both can work, but it is what suits your family and your touring style that is important. Neither side is better.

Do you mean offense? Who said offsite was "better" and offended you? Did I miss a post that got deleted?

Offence and offense are both correct. Offence is typically used in Canada; offense in the USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter