big family = need space

babyruth

for the first time in forever
OK DISers :worship: I need planning help!! We have a family of 6 plus a girlfriend traveling with us next April over Easter. Ages at time of travel will be 3, 15, 18, 20, 20 and 2 parents. so yeah 6 adults and 1 kid! I am so so torn about on property vs off, mainly due to transportation. Getting on the Magical Express and not renting a car with so many people shoved is preferable! Also not having to drive them back to the airport when they leave before us is attractive. I know on property is going to cost us an arm and leg more. The 3 oldest "kids" will be with us 3 days then going back to college. I'm totally OK with a split stay. Are there even on property accommodations that can fit us all without doing the adjoining room thing? I am a hard core planner and will be doing my binder and ADRs and all that. :teacher: What are your suggestions for on property? Also, if I book an on property package I see people saying they rebook if a better deal comes out. Can I rebook if our party size changes? For example say my 18 yr old finds out he has a mandatory track meet (he's gonna be on scholarship, not likely over Easter but hey I'm planning for whatever!) Can I drop him off our reservation if I booked park tickets too? I am definitely considering that an off property condo and a 7 passenger minivan may give us the most flexibility. Disney Dreamin! :cloud9: what would ya'll do?

SSR has the tree houses and there are the cabins at fort wilderness that may be big enough. If you are really brave, I read about a lady who rented a motor home and stayed at the campgrounds!

If it were me, I would stay off-site in a pool house or large condo, but I understand the transportation issue too.

I would check David's Vacation Rentals and book a DVC villa on property with him. I would book a two bedroom at Kidani and that has 3 bathrooms. I would factor in parking costs and car rental then see what convienence of transportation on property would cost. DVC villas have full kitchens and w/d, too.

I would just get a set # of rooms at a Value resort (2 or 3 - not sure if 20 and 20 need their own room or are allowed). We've gone with extended family and this worked great for everyone coming/going to the parks and to/from the airport as we didn't have to worry about it. The rule was - meet time for the bus to the park was 8:15 (for example) and if you didn't show up - we would meet you at the park. With that many adults I think it would drive me crazy trying to get them all to leave by the time I wanted. This way you don't have to argue about it - they just text you when they arrive.

This way if the Little one needs a rest - one parent can bring him/her back to the room and everyone else can stay.

I am a huge fan of offsite - but with your setup is the MAIN TIME I would HIGHLY recommend onsite.

The transportation thing is really sticking me. They aren't old enough to drive rental cars, so one of us has to drive with them. So if I ended up going with an offsite condo I need to factor in shuttle costs if we do end up separating. I'm also thinking it's harder to take an off property "break" with the toddler. The value resort thing may work. I could possibly do a family suite plus an extra room...ASM or AOA
I would just get a set # of rooms at a Value resort (2 or 3 - not sure if 20 and 20 need their own room or are allowed). We've gone with extended family and this worked great for everyone coming/going to the parks and to/from the airport as we didn't have to worry about it. The rule was - meet time for the bus to the park was 8:15 (for example) and if you didn't show up - we would meet you at the park. With that many adults I think it would drive me crazy trying to get them all to leave by the time I wanted. This way you don't have to argue about it - they just text you when they arrive.

This way if the Little one needs a rest - one parent can bring him/her back to the room and everyone else can stay.

I am a huge fan of offsite - but with your setup is the MAIN TIME I would HIGHLY recommend onsite.

We did a family trip in 2012 with 8 people ages: 3 (my son), 13, 16, 17, 20, 21 (me) and 2 parents. We had a two bed villa in Saratoga Springs which has one master room with King Bed (193 cm × 203 cm)(Parents room) with its own bath room and the other room has 2 Queen Beds (152 cm × 203 cm)(4 boys room) with its own bathroom and then a Kitchenette and dining table in the Lounge (where the sofa was a pull out double bed)(me and my son) this area also has it own shower room. We found there was plenty of room for everyone and no arguing over the bathrooms in the morning!! The location is great too so close to Disney springs and being onsite gave us flexibility if we didn't want to travel together all the time (some get there earlier, some leave earlier, park hop etc). This really made it a great holiday for everyone and no arguments!!

The split of the rooms worked perfectly for our family but if you have a different mix it may not work out as well. I have put bed sizes as we are in the uk and it would be a challenge to fit two teenage boys in a UK Queen (120 x 190)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs Treehouse Villas last summer with 7 adults and 2 kids (10 and 2). We found it plenty of space and pretty fun to be in a "treehouse." When we split the cost between all the adults, it was not much more then getting separate rooms at a value.

Too bad you aren't close enough to drive. You could get a campsite at the fort so cheap you could buy a big expedition tent and all the fixings to really glamp it up. Course I am bias. I tell everyone to try the Fort. Except the weeks I want to be there. Then I bad mouth it like crazy so no one books it up.

Too bad you aren't close enough to drive. You could get a campsite at the fort so cheap you could buy a big expedition tent and all the fixings to really glamp it up. Course I am bias. I tell everyone to try the Fort. Except the weeks I want to be there. Then I bad mouth it like crazy so no one books it up.
Haha that's too funny! Yeah driving from Massachusetts with a toddler isn't on my to do list! We do like camping, if we were closer we would definitely try it.

Haha that's too funny! Yeah driving from Massachusetts with a toddler isn't on my to do list! We do like camping, if we were closer we would definitely try it.

There are different places that will rent a camper or motor home, drive it to Fort Wilderness, and set it up for you. Some even rent golf carts as well for getting around the Fort.:)
I've always thought that looks like a great way to do WDW.

I would check David's Vacation Rentals and book a DVC villa on property with him. I would book a two bedroom at Kidani and that has 3 bathrooms. I would factor in parking costs and car rental then see what convienence of transportation on property would cost. DVC villas have full kitchens and w/d, too.
I second this. I think this give you the most flexibility of "who sleeps where" and the third bathroom will be very nice. This arrangement lets you be "together" in the same space - yet I think it gives you enough choices on sleeping arrangements. As it is on-site - it solves your transportation issues because the older ones can all ride the bus and come and go as they please. You can skip the rental car - but - alternatively you can get some great deals on minivans if you keep watching. The ability to have groceries in the room would be a huge financial savings for you with that many adults. Even if you don't rent a car - I'd suggest either a suitcase of food or grocery delivery!

I also think with a "girlfriend" and "potential track meet" in the mix - I think you need to NOT book a package if you book through Disney - that way the party size can be flexible through the last minute. Just book the room and tickets separately. And depending on the room(s) you decide on - room discounts might come into play. This way - you don't have to purchase tickets until the 60 day in advance mark for FP+ bookings when you have more confidence who is actually going for sure.

You also really have to decide who's sleeping with who with that girlfriend in the mix........ Everyone's different that way. At 20 - I would have care less if my brother and girlfriend shared a bed - but no way I'd want to be in the room with them as a younger sibling!!!

So, you'll have 7 people for 3 days and then 4 people for the remainder? I see no reason to spend tons of money on a DVC 2-bedroom villa at the most expensive time of year when you really only need space for 7 for 3 days. The cheapest 2-bedroom for that time of year will set you back over $5300 for the week (check in 4/9, check out 4/16). Add $2K more to stay at Boardwalk or Beach Club. Looking back at resort costs for Easter 2016 (the week before and after Easter), value resorts were $194 for weekdays and $212 for weekends so even that will be very, very expensive.

I would go with a 2-bedroom condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. People LOVE WBC and pricing is reasonable compared WDW. Here is a person that many people rent from: http://vacationupgrades.com/pricing.html . He rents a 2BR Deluxe over Easter for $1680. That's only a little more than rack rate at the All Stars for ONE room. Yes, you'll have to rent a car (try to get a minivan ASAP! You can always cancel later if you don't need it) but WBC does offer a shuttle. Here is the WBC thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/the-we-loooooove-bonnet-creek-thread-part-4.3366139/

Thanks! I am checking out Bonnet Creek. I've also heard something about Windsor palms or hills..... if we don't park hop I'm looking at at least $100 in parking fees but these options save a ton. It makes my whole trip budget equal to the price of a Disney resort only!

Thanks! I am checking out Bonnet Creek. I've also heard something about Windsor palms or hills..... if we don't park hop I'm looking at at least $100 in parking fees but these options save a ton. It makes my whole trip budget equal to the price of a Disney resort only!
You can look up condos at www.vrbo.com . If you're willing to go offsite and all be in one car, Sky Auction has some great deals: http://www.skyauction.com/ . Make sure to read ALL the fine print!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a track meet. Easter isn't a holiday most colleges take into account. Did the team have a track meet this year on Easter weekend?

It's a catholic college he's going to, but he's still a senior this year. (Did not have events on Easter weekend) also Easter Monday happens to be Patriots day in MA next year. The oldests college observes that. Not sure about the new college yet.

We have travelled as a group f 7 twice to Disney with 3 adults and 4 kids. We've been staying at AoA as our youngest is under 3 ( but still sleeps in a bed not crib). Part of the reason we stay on site is the transportation. I think a 7 passenger van would be too tight for us with 7 passengers AND luggage. Getting to the airport we end up doing it in 2 trips with out 7seater. It's just so easy with the buses and with the ages of your gang the ease of a food court at your resort. In your shoes I would do 2 rooms at POP with a split at AoA Or AoA and a little mermaid room.

AoA was my first choice until I checked Easter week prices LOL. As of now my plan is book a refundable reservation at Windsor Hills and keep watching for the 2017 on property release. I know there aren't going to be any discounts for our week, so I'd have to be building my own package trying to save in other ways with flights/discount tickets etc. The Embassy Suites are looking good too for the extras like breakfast included and a shuttle to MK. But I wanted to do a few breakfasts in park so weighing all these options is hard work :scratchin

I would DEFINITELY do 2 or 3 value rooms on site over a rental home. When you factor in fees for parking, the rental van cost, and logistics of airport transportation it just doesn't make sense not to do this.

Off site shuttles pick up and drop off at inconvenient locations and don't run as often to make sense to me.

I would DEFINITELY do 2 or 3 value rooms on site over a rental home. When you factor in fees for parking, the rental van cost, and logistics of airport transportation it just doesn't make sense not to do this.

Off site shuttles pick up and drop off at inconvenient locations and don't run as often to make sense to me.
Not when you're looking at Easter week. The Star Movies was $194 for a standard room last Easter and next Easter is bound to be even more. You're talking about $400-$600+ per DAY for All Star Movies :headache:. Not much of a "value", IMO.

@babyruth, I would figure out when cars become available to rent for Easter and JUMP on a minivan right away. Minivans can be very expensive, but you can probably keep it down to under $400 for the week if you book right away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter