Best store bought spaghetti sauce

Of course Rao's is usually the best but the other day in Costco I saw Pisana(sp) it was 2 jars for 4.99(organic) and I have to say it gave Rao's a run for the money because not only is it made from same ingredients...it is organic too. I was surprised because all the food guru's say Rao's because it has no additives but this one one ups it.

I'm doing low carb / Keto and am a Rao's fan too. I use there pizza sauce for keto pizza and it's typically one of the most recommended brands because it's carb count is lower than most.
Check the label I think the pizza has more carbs than the regular because I was doing that too and when I checked I realized that I was better just using the pasta sauce as a pizza sauce. Not a huge amount of difference but less carbs.

I can not see the carb count in tomato sause on a pizza being a whole lot , whatever you choose. You dont need much of it.

I like Victoria when I can get it. Most brands are way too acidic, and I find Prego disgusting. My husband likes Prego, so I make it for him and make my own for myself -- crushed tomatoes simmered with lots of butter and a chunk of onion. I also have to make two pastas because he likes angel hair and I like linguini. Spaghetti night at our house is interesting.
Try throwing a little bit of baking soda in, it will cut down on the acid. Just a pinch or two, very tiny. It's a trick from my Italian grandmother.

I can not see the carb count in tomato sause on a pizza being a whole lot , whatever you choose. You dont need much of it.

Those keto people count every single carb and can't have more than like 30 in a whole day, so it's an important consideration for them.

Those keto people count every single carb and can't have more than like 30 in a whole day, so it's an important consideration for them.
I get that but it cant be more then 2 or 4 grams for sause on a whole pizza. Its basicly a med size laddle full. If you eat half a pizza, the carbs from the sause is only 1 to 2 grams. Jarred pasta sause may be a little more, but i cant see it being overly so. If you are going for 0 carbs then i guess it would b a problem.

Probably be the same if you liquified your own tomatoes and added the spices in also. Still not much, considering a serving would do half a normal pizza, if not the whole pizza. Edited to add, half a cup might do a whole pizza, 1 cup of sauce would be a lot.

Mid's is far and away the best jarred pasta sauce I've ever tasted. I tried Rao's once about ten years back and found it too thin for my liking. My wife agrees that Mid's makes her homemade lasagna and pizza even better. We don't use anything else. About once every few months it's BOGO at Publix and we stock up then.

Haven't tried Newmans, but might give that one a shot.
I absolutely love Rao’s sauce. BUT all this talk about Mid’s has really piqued my interest. I just checked and our local large grocery store carries a selection of it. It’s on my list to check out!

On a Pinch/buy them for emergency when on sale Rao & Victoria only.

During the month of August, we buy a few bushels of tomatoes and make our own sauce for the year. It's never enough. So much work. We supplemented it with Redpack and other Italian brands and make the sauce too.

Prepared jar - Rao & Victoria here and there.

@AnnaS-Putting up tomatoes is what I do in late August/early September as well. My sisters and I make a day of it and it’s a memory joy to open each jar during the cold months. In the past, the stores lasted until February or March but this year there are less house residents so I might make it into the spring. I only put up jars of peeled whole tomatoes with a basil leaf in the jar. Makes it easier to complete sauce in whatever style I wish.

I checked the Rao’s selection at my local Shop Rite. On sale for $6.99, regularly $7.99.

Mushroom & Bell Pepper
Tomato Basil
Roasted Garlic
Four Cheese
Arrabbiata
Vodka
Baloney
Marijuana
“Sensitive Marijuana”- no onions or garlic. Why bother? If it ain’t got those two ingredients it ain’t sauce or gravy.

Smaller jar of Alfredo for same price.

There were 3 or 4 of the tomato varieties in larger jars for 8.99 on sale.

I checked the Rao’s selection at my local Shop Rite. On sale for $6.99, regularly $7.99.
Baloney
Marijuana

Sensitive Marijuana”- no onions or garlic. Why bother? If it ain’t got those two ingredients it ain’t sauce or gravy.

Smaller jar of Alfredo for same price.

There were 3 or 4 of the tomato varieties in larger jars for 8.99 on sale.
Is there a correct pasta to serve with these unusual sauces? :rotfl:

I honestly will buy Ragu Traditional version and everyone seems to like it . I even get the generic Walmart brand, also in the Traditional flavor, and it's still a hit.

I'm from the Midwest, I think spaghetti here is so far from a traditional food that we just don't care if it's authentic. I have a number of friends who don't even eat spaghetti. I myself don't eat marinara at all and really don't eat much Italian cuisine. When we do I tend to make my own vegetarian bolognaise sauce.

We do however debate BBQ sauce, Cornbread Mix and the merits of Country vs Brown gravy.:tongue:

Went to Costco today and picked up two more jars of Rao's marinara. It's on "sale" I guess for the next week or so and it's now $7.99 for the two jars. Great deal.

Never heard of Raos before this thread.
Grabbed some at Target for $5.99 this morning.
Looking forward to making lasagna this weekend!

Y'all have convinced me to give Rao's a try :rotfl:

I'm one of those low carb people and Classico Tomato Basil is our go-to for taste, value, and carb count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter