Best store bought spaghetti sauce

Went to Costco today and picked up two more jars of Rao's marinara. It's on "sale" I guess for the next week or so and it's now $7.99 for the two jars. Great deal.

Heading to Costco today and it was on my list! Great to hear. I'll double up.

My kids use a lot of this sauce to make meatball subs, pizza bagels and pizza muffins. We go through a large jar about every week (I always do at least one pasta night).

Heading to Costco today and it was on my list! Great to hear. I'll double up.

My kids use a lot of this sauce to make meatball subs, pizza bagels and pizza muffins. We go through a large jar about every week (I always do at least one pasta night).
So...would you say the marinara or the Bolognese is best? I am definately going to have to try this brand. :thumbsup2

So...would you say the marinara or the Bolognese is best? I am definately going to have to try this brand. :thumbsup2

My favorite is the marinara. I'm not a fan of bolognese in general though. Costco only has marinara.

The Tomato and Basil is also good, but very strongly tastes of basil and my kids don't like it. I often have fresh basil and will sprinlkle on some freshly chopped sometimes on my own dishes when using the marinara.

The marinara makes a great base, so you can always add extra sautéed garlic, other herbs, mushrooms, carrots, whatever in order to make it a bit different without having to buy several different varieties.

I honestly will buy Ragu Traditional version and everyone seems to like it . I even get the generic Walmart brand, also in the Traditional flavor, and it's still a hit.

I'm from the Midwest, I think spaghetti here is so far from a traditional food that we just don't care if it's authentic. I have a number of friends who don't even eat spaghetti. I myself don't eat marinara at all and really don't eat much Italian cuisine. When we do I tend to make my own vegetarian bolognaise sauce.

We do however debate BBQ sauce, Cornbread Mix and the merits of Country vs Brown gravy.:tongue:

Pasta doesn’t seem to be a big deal in the Midwest in my limited experience. In a few supermarkets the pasta/sauce/diced/crushed tomato section was maybe 24 feet of shelf space instead of the whole 50+ foot side of an aisle like in many Northeast markets.

My favorite is the marinara. I'm not a fan of bolognese in general though. Costco only has marinara.

The Tomato and Basil is also good, but very strongly tastes of basil and my kids don't like it. I often have fresh basil and will sprinlkle on some freshly chopped sometimes on my own dishes when using the marinara.

The marinara makes a great base, so you can always add extra sautéed garlic, other herbs, mushrooms, carrots, whatever in order to make it a bit different without having to buy several different varieties.
Thank you....I will get some this weekend!

@AnnaS-Putting up tomatoes is what I do in late August/early September as well. My sisters and I make a day of it and it’s a memory joy to open each jar during the cold months. In the past, the stores lasted until February or March but this year there are less house residents so I might make it into the spring. I only put up jars of peeled whole tomatoes with a basil leaf in the jar. Makes it easier to complete sauce in whatever style I wish.

It brings us many memories of making it with my parents and in-laws. My sons love the homemade sauce too and have started their own too. Not as much as us but it will keep the tradition alive. My dad used to make his own wine too. It all depends on how often our kids come over for Sunday dinner, how much entertaining we do. Three bushels is not enough - we might go for 4 if we have the time :).

It's the best.

My order of favorites of Rao's are:

Italian Sausage and Mushroom
Green Pepper and Mushroom (although my DH is not wild about it)
Marinara
Bolognese

I'm not a huge fan of the Bolognese, but when I eat plain spaghetti noodles that are on the heavier side, I don't like a thinner sauce and prefer a sauce with meat. The Marinara is good on lighter pastas, tortellini, ravioli, etc. (just my personal tastes). I just like a heavier sauce when I eat plain spaghetti noodles. I wouldn't go out of my way for the Bolognese.

My order of favorites of Rao's are:

Italian Sausage and Mushroom
Green Pepper and Mushroom (although my DH is not wild about it)
Marinara
Bolognese

I'm not a huge fan of the Bolognese, but when I eat plain spaghetti noodles that are on the heavier side, I don't like a thinner sauce and prefer a sauce with meat. The Marinara is good on lighter pastas, tortellini, ravioli, etc. (just my personal tastes). I just like a heavier sauce when I eat plain spaghetti noodles. I wouldn't go out of my way for the Bolognese.

It's easy enough to make your own Bolognese sauce. I've tried it with both ground beef and ground pork. Not sure about getting ground lamb though, although I've heard that's traditional. It's hard to get the meat right when it's been soaking in a sauce for who knows how long unless it's sausage. But tomatoes are really best when they're picked ripe and canned/jarred. Herbs are OK when already in the sauce, but carrots/onions get soggy as heck.

Once I went out with an Italian coworker (from Bologna) for lunch and I kind of muttered that I wanted Bolognese pasta (don't remember the pasta cut) to the server. And when it arrived at the table he instantly recognized what it was.

It's easy enough to make your own Bolognese sauce. I've tried it with both ground beef and ground pork. Not sure about getting ground lamb though, although I've heard that's traditional. It's hard to get the meat right when it's been soaking in a sauce for who knows how long unless it's sausage. But tomatoes are really best when they're picked ripe and canned/jarred. Herbs are OK when already in the sauce, but carrots/onions get soggy as heck.

Once I went out with an Italian coworker (from Bologna) for lunch and I kind of muttered that I wanted Bolognese pasta (don't remember the pasta cut) to the server. And when it arrived at the table he instantly recognized what it was.
If your ever out to jersey, ill make you a true bolognese. :teeth: there are a few ingredients the top kitchen people don't like sharring.

If your ever out to jersey, ill make you a true bolognese. :teeth: there are a few ingredients the top kitchen people don't like sharring.

I'm not Italian, but I've found it's really hard to mess us Bolognese.

I'm not Italian, but I've found it's really hard to mess us Bolognese.
Lol, it is , its atually one of the harder dishes to master.
Edited to add, most think its a meat sause, but real bolognese is more of a cream sause. So similer to a vodka sause.

I make my own, but if I buy jarred sauce it's Rao's Marinara or Trader Joe's Organic Marinara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter