• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Best store bought spaghetti sauce

I like the Ragu Garden Combination with Onion and Garlic. And then I doctor it up quite a bit to make it even better. But I find it the best base when making spaghetti sauce.
Bought this once in a pinch, didn't think it was bad.

Rao's is good but just to expensive.

Wow, guess we need to try Rao’s!
Definitely give it a try, but don't expect too much, if you normally make homemade sauce. This thread convinced me to give Rao's a try last night. The store DH went to didn't have Italian Sausage with Mushrooms, so he bought Bolognese. DH took the first bite. When I asked him what he thought, he said, "It's not like your sauce." Before he put the leftovers away he said I was going to have to doctor it up somehow, if we were going to eat it again. Obviously, he wasn't a fan. I agree with him. It's okay for a jarred sauce, but in our opinion it's not a substitute for a good homemade sauce.

Well for sauce in a jar I buy Prego. It’s ok. Believe it or not I have never heard of Raos before. I’m making meatballs and pasta for dinner tonight so I looked for Raos in the store today. $6.99 a jar and I needed two jars. I couldn’t do it and just purchased Prego. I think I’ll wait for a sale and try it then.

Well for sauce in a jar I buy Prego. It’s ok. Believe it or not I have never heard of Raos before. I’m making meatballs and pasta for dinner tonight so I looked for Raos in the store today. $6.99 a jar and I needed two jars. I couldn’t do it and just purchased Prego. I think I’ll wait for a sale and try it then.

Part of the deal is the tomatoes they use, which I believe are Italian-grown San Marzano. I've been to pizza places that have cans of these (along with Berio olive oil) stacked in the prep area.

Heck - I've seen Cento brand crushed tomatoes at a 99 Cents Only store, although there's been some controversy over whether or not they were properly labelled as San Marzano.

I've tried making my own sauce with real Italian San Marzano tomatoes, and it makes a ton of difference. The herbs used may not need to be the most expensive, but there's no way to adjust the taste of the tomatoes.

Keep in mind everyone that the OP
Definitely give it a try, but don't expect too much, if you normally make homemade sauce. This thread convinced me to give Rao's a try last night. The store DH went to didn't have Italian Sausage with Mushrooms, so he bought Bolognese. DH took the first bite. When I asked him what he thought, he said, "It's not like your sauce." Before he put the leftovers away he said I was going to have to doctor it up somehow, if we were going to eat it again. Obviously, he wasn't a fan. I agree with him. It's okay for a jarred sauce, but in our opinion it's not a substitute for a good homemade sauce.

No, it's definitely not a substitute for good, homemade sauce. But if you have to have a jarred sauce, it's generally the one I'll use. FWIW, the bolognese is one of my least favorites. I generally just like the Italian Sausage and Mushroom or the Marinara. But hands down, if I've got the time, I still prefer my own sauce.

Keep in mind everyone that the OP

No, it's definitely not a substitute for good, homemade sauce. But if you have to have a jarred sauce, it's generally the one I'll use. FWIW, the bolognese is one of my least favorites. I generally just like the Italian Sausage and Mushroom or the Marinara. But hands down, if I've got the time, I still prefer my own sauce.
I wish we could have tried the Italian Sausage with Mushroom first. If I ever find myself unable to make a homemade sauce, I'd be willing to give it a try. I definitely wouldn't try the Bolognese again.

I stick to Rao’s marinara, I’m not buying any jarred sauce with meat.
100% this. I have never purchased jar sauce with meat in it.
In addition to the Rao's marinara, we also enjoy the heat of their arribbiata sauce.

100% this. I have never purchased jar sauce with meat in it.
In addition to the Rao's marinara, we also enjoy the heat of their arribbiata sauce.
I like that one too (I like spicy and put red pepper flakes in marinara).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter