Bed Bugs @ Old Key West?

I don't know if this helps with anyone's confidence but during a recent stay at BWV (Memorial Day weekend) after arriving to a ready room (at 11am.) My dw found a half empty bottle of milk in the fridge and a childs sock and under wear in a drawer in the bedroom.
When the head of housekeeping arrived to my room for an inspection, which I asked for only a linen change as I was concerned I did not want to get bed begs!
Her response was "we do a through check once a month for bed bugs on each room, so no need to worry about it." I was thinking afterwards that what if I was the lucky one to come just after the guest that brought the bed bugs and it was some 20 days until the next inspection....
Your best bet is to check out the bed yourself each time you check in.

We stayed in a 2 br at OKW in April. No bedbug sightings at all! In fact we have never had any issue with bb's during any of our WDW vacations.

Can we change the title of this thread? I am beginning to get itchy.

Apparently the bigger problem at OKW are the rogue ducks. :)

Stephen

Ah! The bedbug rumor rears it's ugly head yet again!

I've had 35 plus stays at OKW in my near to 12 years of ownership, the last being this June ( just a month ago), and I've never, ever encountered bedbugs! For that matter, I've not encountered bedbugs at any DVC resort and I've stayed at them all, except for the Treehouses ( not lucky at waitlisting there), Aulani & Hilton Head (no luck there either)!

Well, the OP did state that OKW is booked for their travel dates.....maybe they're trying to create some vacancies by suggesting a bedbug issue?

If that's the case, I'd like to announce that BWV is expecting a massive bedbug infestation this fall, unfortunately coinciding with the F&W Festival. :rotfl2:

Bed bugs can happen in any hotel, at any time. However, they are not all that terribly common. I spend a lot of nights in hotels, and have yet to have an issue---and neither has any of my colleagues, many of whom travel a lot more than I do. I know I should probably be more careful inspecting rooms that I am assigned to, but I don't. [knock on wood]

What's more, by the time a report of bed bugs reaches the internet, chances are good that the hotel operator has already dispatched with them. It's not that hard to "clean up" a room, because they do not like heat.

I would think it would be harder to sleep with ducks then bedbugs :confused3
On our last stay at OKW we had a "wake up duck" who arrived early each morning quacking so loudly we could hear him in the bedroom. While I would have liked to sleep in a bit longer, it was actually a very pleasant way to wake up.

avgndf6.gif

OKW bed bugs. Just got home tonight from our vacation. Booked at OKW. Confirmed BB in our room the day of checkin. Building 13. Room 1316. Was not pleased with the night manager on duty that night. They did transfer us to another DVC resort and cleaned the things that we had hastily left in the room that morning before heading to Downtown Disney. We did not bring the bugs in with us. Still itching.

Not much you can do as a hotel to avoid what the guests might bring in... sounds like Disney is doing the best they can as soon as they can. I used to travel alot for work, and you'd be surprised at the quality of hotels the bugs show up in - 4-5 stars get them as well as Motel 6's. What blows my mind is the people who bring them in and then don't even bother to tell the front desk before passing them on to others :furious:- IT'S NOT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW YOU HAVE BEDBUGS!!! :confused3 I had at least 3 co-workers get hit with them over the course of our travels - they get you good all over your body! Heck, you could get the hotel to treat your stuff for free even if you were the one who brought them in in the first place!!! They would never be able to prove it, the hotel just wants to keep it quiet and make it go away......

Whoo, sorry, rant over.

OKW bed bugs. Just got home tonight from our vacation. Booked at OKW. Confirmed BB in our room the day of checkin. Building 13. Room 1316. Was not pleased with the night manager on duty that night. They did transfer us to another DVC resort and cleaned the things that we had hastily left in the room that morning before heading to Downtown Disney. We did not bring the bugs in with us. Still itching.

Wow, they made you spend the night in that room??? Please tell me I'm mis-reading this.

We were not given another room until 4.5 hours had passed from the time we called down to report the bed bugs. So I had my children sleep on the couches in the front lobby. Hope they don't have bed bugs in the couches now.
The night manager made us wait until the exterminator could come and check our room before she would decide what to do with us. It was an extremely disappointing experience. The night manager acted like it was inconvenient for HER.
It took a long time for the exterminator to come and check our room. We were told to move own things out on to the front porch area of our condo, and leave them there until the bell hop could come. He never did.
When they were able to verify that they were in fact bed bugs and that, as the exterminator stated to us "a moderate case", she started looking for a room for our family. By this time it was 3am. We were told to put our things in our car and take them with us to the next resort, and to only leave the things that were on the bed and the side of the room that the BB were found. We had left the things that were on the bed, on the bed when we went to the lobby area. Everything else was on the porch until we put it into our car.
Very unDisney like in all aspects. No offer to even comp the room for the night we had to leave.

We were not given another room until 4.5 hours had passed from the time we called down to report the bed bugs. So I had my children sleep on the couches in the front lobby. Hope they don't have bed bugs in the couches now.
The night manager made us wait until the exterminator could come and check our room before she would decide what to do with us. It was an extremely disappointing experience. The night manager acted like it was inconvenient for HER.
It took a long time for the exterminator to come and check our room. We were told to move own things out on to the front porch area of our condo, and leave them there until the bell hop could come. He never did.
When they were able to verify that they were in fact bed bugs and that, as the exterminator stated to us "a moderate case", she started looking for a room for our family. By this time it was 3am. We were told to put our things in our car and take them with us to the next resort, and to only leave the things that were on the bed and the side of the room that the BB were found. We had left the things that were on the bed, on the bed when we went to the lobby area. Everything else was on the porch until we put it into our car.
Very unDisney like in all aspects. No offer to even comp the room for the night we had to leave.

I think you have a right to be upset, OP. While it is true that any hotel can have this problem, it should also be true that every hotel should be prepared to do everything possible to lessen the hassle for affected guests. Having you wait until 3 AM to get a room is not good enough. I think that some DVCers overdo the demand for some kind of compensation when things aren't perfect, but you should NOT have had to pay for a room that you could not occupy. I hope that you contact Member Satisfaction.

I think you have a right to be upset, OP. While it is true that any hotel can have this problem, it should also be true that every hotel should be prepared to do everything possible to lessen the hassle for affected guests. Having you wait until 3 AM to get a room is not good enough. I think that some DVCers overdo the demand for some kind of compensation when things aren't perfect, but you should NOT have had to pay for a room that you could not occupy. I hope that you contact Member Satisfaction.

We are DVC members, and we have NEVER in all the years we have been going to WDW had such terrible service. I was made to feel like I was a person looking for something for free. I did not ask for anything when I went to the front desk, I walked over to find out what we needed to do. It was almost midnight at that time, and it was after 4:30 when we were finally given another room in a different resort. I was told when I went to the front desk that OKW was full and I could not be switched to another room and that I would need to wait until the room could be checked before they would do anything.

I am disappointed in the service the night manager gave us, especially after coming home and reading about ways other guests with a similar problem had been taken care of.

I hate that I feel the way I do towards OKW right now :(

oh no, oh no! sorry that you went through such an ordeal, but don't let it sour your thoughts on such a wonderful resort.

There is a trip report of a recent problem of bedbugs at BLT. It was not detected to a day or 2 into the visit and all there clothing etc had to be treated and they were moved to a suite at the Poly. From what I read it put a real damper on their trip.

Ugh! I know all hotels have to deal with this but maybe Disney should train housekeeping to detect the bedbugs when cleaning rooms daily. Maybe some kind of check!

We are at BLT nexT year ....I am not unpacking till I check everything. I am going to be up to date on my bedbug checking skills for next June.....:scared:

There is a trip report of a recent problem of bedbugs at BLT. It was not detected to a day or 2 into the visit and all there clothing etc had to be treated and they were moved to a suite at the Poly. From what I read it put a real damper on their trip.

Ugh! I know all hotels have to deal with this but maybe Disney should train housekeeping to detect the bedbugs when cleaning rooms daily. Maybe some kind of check!

We are at BLT nexT year ....I am not unpacking till I check everything. I am going to be up to date on my bedbug checking skills for next June.....:scared:

How do the bedbugs get into the hotel in the first place? Some guest has to bring them in from the outside. So in some cases, the guest may have brought them in themselves. Nothing for Housekeeping to find until after the guest leaves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter