Bed Bugs @ Old Key West?

Disney Prince

Earning My Ears
Hi there everyone! I hope this is the right forum to ask this question; OKW is a DVC resort after all so I thought this ought to be the place. :goodvibes

My family is booking a trip to WDW for this August, and OKW is at the top of our list of resorts we want to stay at. We stayed there once in 09 and had a great time, except the beds were very hard (but it looks like that issue was fixed in a 2010 remodel). While researching the beds we came across some stuff on the internet (and I think on the DIS?) saying that OKW had a beg bug infestation in Jan 2012.

We're not too worried, but I thought I would come to the DIS Boards themselves and ask whether anyone who has stayed at Old Key West so far in 2012 has encountered any problems with bed bugs.

Thanks all! :thumbsup2

We stayed at OKW in January, 2012 and again 2 weeks ago (with family in 3 different villas) - all without incident (or bedbugs).

We were at OKW last month building 26 and all we saw were ducks, no bed bugs. :goodvibes

:earsboy: Bill

We had a great stay in April 2012, no bedbugs, and I checked. We were in HH; I think building 14. Those little critters have taken up too much of my brain's preplanning worry space! :worried:

Thank you so much, to all three of you! It turned out that OKW was all booked up, so we're headed elsewhere, but it's certainly great to know that there's no real bedbug scare!

As soon as Disney identifies a problem with bed bugs, they have a team that comes out and resolves the problem. They are not going to risk their reputation by not doing anything about them. You need to have better faith in Disney. They want your money.

We were just there at Christmas/NYE for 11 days, and absolutely no issues with bed bugs at all.

We will be there again for 6 days next month too!

Have a great trip! Tiger

We were in building 45 in May - lots of geckos around but no bed bugs. ;)

and for what it is worth - I *ALWAYS* check for bed bugs before we so much as put a suitcase down in every hotel room we go into.

You will be fine, there are more checkins without any problems than there are with.

All Disney resorts have at one time had a report. Simply the nature of the business.

We were there over New Years and also just this past May. Absolutely no issues at all.

I imagine they have an excellent procedure in place to prevent, or quickly eliminate, any problem. As a hotel owner friend of mine has said "hotels don't have bedbugs until guests bring them in."

Whew - the thread title was making me nervous! I'll be there the day after tomorrow and I don't want to take any new "friends" home with me! :scared:

Why would you want to disparage some place by asking an unfounded question like that? I expected your post to say that it had been reported but you seem to be just stirring up anxiety by trying to link the name of a resort to something that would deter guests. Are you a Universal spy????;)

:)Perhaps Disney should inspect all guests and their luggage for bed bugs before they are allowed to check in. That would help eliminate any potential problems. They can use characters to perform the search! Some people may pay extra to be searched by Mickey or Minnie. Just a thought.

:)Perhaps Disney should inspect all guests and their luggage for bed bugs before they are allowed to check in. That would help eliminate any potential problems. They can use characters to perform the search! Some people may pay extra to be searched by Mickey or Minnie. Just a thought.

I would....I would!!!! :upsidedow

And just for the record, we were there in Jan for the Marathon and there were no issues at all with any type of bug.

che

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter