Back to the Med Greece/Turkey in 2013! Complete!

We ended up getting a night at the Renaissance with Marriott points for the night before. I think we are going to end up staying after and hopefully meeting up with friends.

We were at a birthday party this afternoon and DH was chatting with another parent. They did the Baltic last year on DCL because they didn't offer the Med. They had really been hoping for the Med...so now DH is on a mission to get them to come with us! :lmao: They have a girl in DS's class and a son a couple of years older. So I know the kids would have a blast.

Its hard staying focused on vacation planning for my other trips...because this one is just so different. But with 2 significant vacations before this one...DS's WDW birthday and our 10th anniversary trip to Paris I have got to stay focused! Its just SO. HARD. :rotfl:

tajz90 said:
"My family is booked on the June 15, 2013 Mediterranean Cruise (Greece itinerary)"

Was referring to the above date, but honestly read it as July 15! I was scared I did something wrong or date changed. Duh! Sorry.

Trying to decide on a place to stay. We cruised in 07 and booked a Disney hotel on our own. Can't remember the name, but it was by the mall and we felt it was a bit too far from action. Want to book one room for 4 so I'm seeing options as limited. What would be the best area to stay? And what transport to ship? We took can last time and thought it too pricey but would like other opinions.

Sorry for confusion.

Glad to hear you're on the same cruise! Have you posted yet on the cruise meets thread? I don't recognize your name from there....

If you look at the very first post of my TR, there are links to various discussions about the hotel issue. This time around we had to deal with having 4 people, and decided on an apartment pre-cruise and an apartment hotel post-cruise. I gather you have kids? How old?

It makes me wonder....why is there such a difference between the US and Europe as far as lodging? Why, pray tell, is it soooooo expensive for a room, and why is it so hard to find accommodations for more than 2 people? How do European families deal with this? Anyone have any insight?

We are actually on July 13. :). Terribly lazy of me, but I honestly wanted someone to tell me "stay here because it is located here." hahaha. I don't want to do the research! I only know where I don't want to stay :) thanks. Guess I'll have to do some research.

We are actually on July 13. :). Terribly lazy of me, but I honestly wanted someone to tell me "stay here because it is located here." hahaha. I don't want to do the research! I only know where I don't want to stay :) thanks. Guess I'll have to do some research.

We are on the same cruise as you. Hotels are the same Hilton & Renaissance (Marriott). We booked the Renaissance with points as there aren't really any currently available on points at the Hilton. Also Renaissance is cheaper on price too. These are the 2 hotels were you can use transfers to the cruise. Another option is to try and find a hotel nearby that you can book 4 into 1 room and then just roll your luggage over morning of the trip to use the transfer system. My understanding is there is a desk at the hotel where you can sign up and drop your luggage there.

There will be a desk. How much are the transfers to the port this time around? Is the Reni the one near airport? I'd like to be close to city. Of course, I remember nothing from the 07 cruise so it's all brand new info again. Haha. I called DCL yesterday and prices hotels and then looked on my own, but totally forgot to ask how much transfers were.

There will be a desk. How much are the transfers to the port this time around? Is the Reni the one near airport? I'd like to be close to city. Of course, I remember nothing from the 07 cruise so it's all brand new info again. Haha. I called DCL yesterday and prices hotels and then looked on my own, but totally forgot to ask how much transfers were.

I think I saw it posted somewhere that it's something like $30 per person each way.

Do you remember what areas you liked visiting?? I don't remember if I posted this here yet or not, but I created a map when I started looking at apartments and such to get an idea of where stuff was in relation to what we wanted to do. Here 's the link:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=217586995600511694449.0004baa9648d6a5e8b59c&msa=0

I just added in the Renaissance for those interested at staying at DCL Hotels.

Thank you :) was really stressed last time. Air France lost all of our luggage. I didn't like staying by the mall, but it was a good thing since we spent most of our time trying to find clothes for trip :)Thanks again!

You're welcome! I cannot imagine losing luggage, especially all the stuff packed for a cruise! I was so worried that would happen last time that I packed completely differently than I usually do. You're going to get a glimpse into my crazy side again here...

I literally had outfits laid/folded out on our spare room bed. Underwear, socks if needed, laid out, outfit by outfit. I folded them very neatly to avoid wrinkles (worked in retail late teens, early 20's...got the folding down to an ART!), then grouped outfits together. As in, one for each of us. Had a chart that listed the outfits to be worn together by day/excursion. Took our batch of outfits and distributed them amongst the suitcases. Had a dressy-ish outfit in each suitcase for each of us, just in case something really bad happened. The toiletries went in the carry-ons.

So what happened? Nothing. All our luggage made it. pixiedust: But, Murphy"s Law being what it is, had I not done this there would have been a HUGE catastrophe.

And no, I didn't stick to the chart. Well, not entirely, anyway. :rotfl2: Please reference previous clothing discussions about outfit coordination. :lmao:

Well, that luggage lost experience was an eye opener. Three weeks without clothes teaches you about what's important. When we went on the Baltic, we only carried roll on luggage, 1 apiece and managed quite well. We have toned down our packing tremendously. Haha. It's a good story now.

Ok the packing story makes me laugh. :lmao: The lost luggage story makes me :sad:

I actually like the location...thanks for adding it to the map. Looks like it will be a good spot for doing a little sightseeing the day we leave. I was thinking we may do a HOHO bus when we get there just to get the lay of the land...then we can be ready to do some more serious sightseeing when we get back.

Ok. I called Disney and reserved TWO rooms at the Renaissance (traveling with mom, son 20 & son 14). I thought they could hold them till I had a chance to investigate, but now I'm wondering if it would be bad (and just lazy) to pay the extra money and keep them?

The transportation is $30 per trip/per person. I was thinking of using AeroCity and shared ride services for about $20 a person. And again, I'm thinking about just sucking it up and using Disney. The last time, we used a cab and while it was easy, we ended up getting charged more because we were tourist. The driver pushed a button when we got in car and X amount went directly on fare meter.

What do y'all think? Would you search for a room that's cheaper and near The Renaissance and hoofing it over the morning of departure? Or just suck it up and stay thru Disney?

Did you check Marriott.com to see if the rates are cheaper than with Disney? Might be able to save enough to cover the transfers.

Another option is if you have Marriott points. Or Amex points you can transfer to Marriott. We booked ours with points and it was very reasonable. 25k points I think for one night.

drlaurafsu said:
Another option is if you have Marriott points. Or Amex points you can transfer to Marriott. We booked ours with points and it was very reasonable. 25k points I think for one night.

Tell me how to use points? I have no idea. :) my mom has an AMEX with points.

tajz90 said:
Well, that luggage lost experience was an eye opener. Three weeks without clothes teaches you about what's important. When we went on the Baltic, we only carried roll on luggage, 1 apiece and managed quite well. We have toned down our packing tremendously. Haha. It's a good story now.

Lol. But what a learning curve......!! How often did you have to do laundry on the Baltic? Being a cooler climate, I figure sweat wasn't as much an issue?

drlaurafsu said:
Ok the packing story makes me laugh. :lmao: The lost luggage story makes me :sad:

I actually like the location...thanks for adding it to the map. Looks like it will be a good spot for doing a little sightseeing the day we leave. I was thinking we may do a HOHO bus when we get there just to get the lay of the land...then we can be ready to do some more serious sightseeing when we get back.

I am directionally incompetent. Seriously. I could get lost in a box. But....after that bike tour we did, intentionally so as to get the lay of the land, I now have a mental map of sorts of the lay of the city. If the HOHO will do that for you, I say hop on! ( get it...hop..on...???)

tajz90 said:
Ok. I called Disney and reserved TWO rooms at the Renaissance (traveling with mom, son 20 & son 14). I thought they could hold them till I had a chance to investigate, but now I'm wondering if it would be bad (and just lazy) to pay the extra money and keep them?

The transportation is $30 per trip/per person. I was thinking of using AeroCity and shared ride services for about $20 a person. And again, I'm thinking about just sucking it up and using Disney. The last time, we used a cab and while it was easy, we ended up getting charged more because we were tourist. The driver pushed a button when we got in car and X amount went directly on fare meter.

What do y'all think? Would you search for a room that's cheaper and near The Renaissance and hoofing it over the morning of departure? Or just suck it up and stay thru Disney?

You kinda have to have 2 rooms, with that demographic. How many days are you going to be there pre cruise? And if you're there beforehand for more than a few hours, what kind of sightseeing are you going to do? And at what pace? My dad is currently in no shape to hike all over Barcelona, so we've planned accordingly. I'm hoping that changes a bit, but.........

tajz90 said:
Tell me how to use points? I have no idea. :) my mom has an AMEX with points.

You have to go thru the website that's linked thru the Amex site. Get her to log in and surf to the rewards area, then look for travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter