avoiding corkage fee

Even a very full glass of wine would not make it to the dinning room with me.

LMAO.......:thumbsup2......there is scuttlebutt that DCL is going to resend the carry on allowance just for the fact that people do abuse it....look at the Disney Parks and the handicapped rules were so abused they now will fore go any special treatment for legitimate people.....

My DDIL was the only wine drinker on our September cruise. We had glasses delivered and she was able to take two glasses to dinner the nights she felt like it, we just took one for her. Other nights she did not want wine at all with her dinner.

It was easy and convenient.

So I am going to tell you that I am a wine drinker. I have NEVER done this and your wholesale indictment of "wine drinkers" as liars is insulting.

You win a prize for rude! Just because your friends are cheating the system only shows you need to pick better friends, not that everyone is doing it!

It's amazing how seriously some people take other peoples' joking comments. :rolleyes:

I'm lucky to corral my young kids and get us all to dinner in time period. Certainly for us it's worth it just to bring the bottle and have someone else open and poor it rather than doing it in the stateroom and making sure it gets to the dining room unspilled. As someone else mentioned, that one glass would need to last my main course. I tell you, between carrying it in the halls, down the elevator, to the table, ordering, apps... I'd have a tiny sip left by the time my main came.

I'm sure most people understand the point of the corkage fee is for the dining room to make up some of the lost revenue on selling you a glass or bottle rather than for the act of opening the wine. One would never enter a "land" restaurant carrying your own glass of wine. So, I can see people's argument against the practice. For me, just as it's only $20 or whatever the corkage fee is, it's also just a glass of wine. Who cares? I'd say do what makes you happy. It's not going to detract from anyone's vacay.

As an aside, during our last Med cruise, I'd make a point to pick up a local bottle at many of the ports to bring for dinner. The servers were always interested to see what I brought.

So I am going to tell you that I am a wine drinker. I have NEVER done this and your wholesale indictment of "wine drinkers" as liars is insulting. You win a prize for rude! Just because your friends are cheating the system only shows you need to pick better friends, not that everyone is doing it! Wonder how you were so blessed to be appointed "judge of the world" :rotfl2:
Seriously now?!? Amazes me how quickly these posts fall apart into name calling.... You are flaming a response not even the original poster that had the flame suit ready.... Recently joined my cruises fb page and it's amazing how civil hot topic issues can be when you aren't able to hide behind an anonymous user name..... To op yeah I would also assume that the majority of those who have brought on board have consumed part if it outside of staterooms, I'm guessing the folks at disney have also figured out that people who take the effort to carry on board are also more likely to go to mixology glasses, order drinks at the bars to drink sociably... Just dont abuse it like having a wine in a box tucked in a backpack to refill as you go ;)

Question about holding over champagne: do they have champagne stoppers back there, if I bring a bottle of bubbly and want to hold it over 2 nights? Or should I bring one?

Seems like too much work to be lugging an open glass flights of stairs down to the MDRs for dinner. We bring wine, and yes, we drink it in the stateroom. Also, I did not think the price of the wine at dinner was any different than the price at local restaurants. And I certainly don't walk into a restaurant with a glass in hand that I poured for myself in the parking lot.

Also, who drinks just one glass at dinner? Are you having only one course? We have no problem polishing a bottle in a (quick) early sitting dinner. By the time I would reach the MDR, I probably would have already drunk the glass I brought.

My guess is that if the outside wine at dinner does become the norm, then Disney will put a stop to the allowing to bring your own into the ship. They'll probably be more like RCCL in that regard.

Question about holding over champagne: do they have champagne stoppers back there, if I bring a bottle of bubbly and want to hold it over 2 nights? Or should I bring one?

I would think that they have one, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own.

We've been on 4 cruises and brought our own wine each time because we enjoy good wine. We've never carried a glass from our stateroom and have always paid corkage. In the grand scheme of things, $20 seems trivial.

Thanks for all of the, um, spirited responses. :)

I think we'll just go with mixed drinks this cruise! :cool1:

What is a wine package?
Carrie in NH

You can find them in the "In Room Gifts and Shopping" section on your reservation home page. There are 2 packages one Premium and one Classic. The wines are listed so you can see if there are any you like in the packages. Price depends on the length of the cruise. Not a bad deal for a bottle every night, probably cheaper than buying by the glass.

LMAO.......:thumbsup2......there is scuttlebutt that DCL is going to resend the carry on allowance just for the fact that people do abuse it....look at the Disney Parks and the handicapped rules were so abused they now will fore go any special treatment for legitimate people.....

This is my worry about abusing the rules, things get shut down.

well i'm brave enough to say it.......I often carry a glass of wine to dinner with me. almost the only time I have a drink (there is an odd occasion other than this) and yes, its only one glass with dinner. dh does not drink. i'm not ashamed to do it and I certainly do not hide the fact I am doing it. its not the corkage fee that I don't want to pay. its having a few sips while I get ready for dinner, feels posh, but the glass is still half full and i'm bringing it along. we have a local brand that I just love.
sorry if it offends anyone, its not meant to. and really, you would never know that I wasn't carrying it from one of the bars.

You won't get flamed by other wine drinkers, because they all do it, and if they say they don't, they're not being honest.

I rarely drink wine, but my friends do, and since DCL has allowed people to bring their own wine/alcohol onboard forever, while turning a blind eye to their request for people to enjoy it in their staterooms only, then I don't see a problem.

I certainly AM being honest when I say I haven't done it. We happily paid the corkage fee for each bottle and will happily do so again. Well worth the expense to make sure that we have the wine we like to drink and play by Disney's rules. Our philosophy is that vacations are not where we are going to skimp. If I drink a bottle of wine a night on a seven day cruise, the additional $140 dollars for the corkage fees shouldn't and won't break me.

I don't care if other people break this rule as long as Disney doesn't care. The minute DCL changes its policy, I will be very disappointed and less enchanted with my fellow passengers.

well i'm brave enough to say it.......I often carry a glass of wine to dinner with me. almost the only time I have a drink (there is an odd occasion other than this) and yes, its only one glass with dinner. dh does not drink. i'm not ashamed to do it and I certainly do not hide the fact I am doing it. its not the corkage fee that I don't want to pay. its having a few sips while I get ready for dinner, feels posh, but the glass is still half full and i'm bringing it along. we have a local brand that I just love.
sorry if it offends anyone, its not meant to. and really, you would never know that I wasn't carrying it from one of the bars.

We bring ours from the bar - for us, it isn't worth the weight on the plane to bring our own bottles - and while the wines on DCL are, as someone upthread so appropriately put it, rather pedestrian, it goes with the mediocre food. And we will sometimes drink cocktails. I'm not worried about Disney shutting this one down due to abuse, they have a hard time telling where a drink came from and frankly, I don't think this is really abused - its a lot of work to drag a bar onto the ship with you, and then drag it off. They might shut it down due to profit.

We also do the wine package and my DH and I split a bottle at night with dinner. For us, it's not worth lugging the bottles on the ship, but I wouldn't have any problem paying the corkage fee if we did go that route. We do the "premium" package and while I get the comments that their wines on these lists aren't the most stellar, there are a few decent ones and since we've only done 4-night cruises so far, we go with the few that we know and like and leave it at that.

Disney specifically asks that you drink any alcohol you have brought with you in your stateroom, unless you are bringing a bottle to the dining room and paying the corkage fee.

We have our 6th cruise coming up and I never knew this. :scared1: I always saw other guests with coolers at the pool and coming into the MDR with drinks so I didn't even think it wasn't allowed. I knew about the corking fee but I guess I am not a big drinker and I have just started to enjoy wine, and only basically one certain type of wine, recently so I was curious about this as well. I planned on bringing a couple bottles of wine with us but I definitely am not the type of person to sit in my room drinking a glass of wine. I am more of a social drinker and would enjoy it for dinner. Maybe I will just skip the alcohol all together because I really do not enjoy the wine "flu" that I seem to have the next day.;)

About what I said above in regards to fellow diners entering the MDR with drinks.... It isn't really fair for me to assume that just because they are carrying their drink with them into the MDR that it came from alcohol that they purchased before they boarded the ship. My DH's uncle who has cruised with us 3 times previously would stop and get a drink for his wife on our way to dinner almost every night that she would carry into the MDR. So I guess unless you are traveling with them than you really can't know where their booze is coming from and come to think about it I guess I don't really care either. :duck: Sorry. :blush:

I have a question about the corkage fee. Do you pay this fee per night or by the bottle? So if I take a bottle of wine to the MDR and don't finish it do I have to pay the corkage fee again the next night? Also will they keep my bottle to follow me or do I have to bring it back with me?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter