avoiding corkage fee

Eric Julie and Hailey

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
On past cruises, to avoid the corkage fee, we poured our own glass of wine in our stateroom and then brought the full glass with us to the dining room. Does anyone see a problem with that practice?

My flame suit is on, so flame away...

Eric said:
On past cruises, to avoid the corkage fee, we poured our own glass of wine in our stateroom and then brought the full glass with us to the dining room. Does anyone see a problem with that practice?

You won't get flamed by other wine drinkers, because they all do it, and if they say they don't, they're not being honest.

I rarely drink wine, but my friends do, and since DCL has allowed people to bring their own wine/alcohol onboard forever, while turning a blind eye to their request for people to enjoy it in their staterooms only, then I don't see a problem.

On our last DC we took a nice bottle of wine (sometimes two) to the MDR each night we went. Our server was a bit of a vinophile himself and made a big deal about what we brought each night. We always offered him a taste but he politely refused. On the last night we gave him a nice bottle as a gift. He did accept that.

We were never charged a corkage fee.

Your mileage may vary.

We think that what you save on bringing your own vino with you when you board and then add the corkage fee you still save on the price that the cruise lines' charge per bottle. Plus the selections are quite pedestrian. Also they will transport the bottle with you as you change dining venues. We are on vacation so balancing a glass on my way to dinner is still too much work.:rotfl2: Also it would have to be quite a large glass of wine to keep us "refreshed" at dinner.:rotfl: Cheers everyone!:)

You're giving me ideas... how about one of those wine glasses that holds an entire bottle of wine! :rotfl2:

I asked our room attendant to bring us two wine glasses for the room...that way we didn't have to bring a red solo into the dining room :rotfl2:

I always wondered who would actually use the Wine Sippy Cups that I saw in some gift shops last summer.... But, maybe, I would use them on a cruise... Hmmmm.....

Disney specifically asks that you drink any alcohol you have brought with you in your stateroom, unless you are bringing a bottle to the dining room and paying the corkage fee.

As to whether they enforce it, that is another question.

LOL at the flame suit...
I won't flame you but I think we should be graceful and thankful to DCL for their lenient booze policies...
$20 is nothing IMO, especially if you bring a premium bottle that cost you $60 at the liquor store and DCL charges $300+ for the same..
It's a small price to pay and I'd pay twice that for the privilege..
Because it is a privilege to be allowed to BYOB

So, if I bring a "box of wine" on my cruise and take it to dinner, I would be changed only 1 corking fee. What a deal. :lmao:

You're giving me ideas... how about one of those wine glasses that holds an entire bottle of wine! :rotfl2:

I actually know someone who takes his own carafe to dinner and never once was he questioned about it. Multiple cruises, too.

In land restaurants, I've paid corkage fees of up to $40-$50. If you are bringing a decent bottle of wine, then the corkage fee of $20 really is "nothing." That is.. if you bought the bottle for $50, and the restaurant/cruise ship would charge $150 for the same bottle... you're still way ahead by paying the corkage.
Besides, if you "carry" your wine, you can't have a second glass. And if you want to brink it with your main course, you have it just sitting there for a long time.

On the other hand, if you are the only member of your party drinking wine, and just want one glass, I can understand not wanting to spend $20 just to have 1 glass of wine with dinner. Though you may be better off just getting a drink from the bar in that case.

You won't get flamed by other wine drinkers, because they all do it, and if they say they don't, they're not being honest.

I don't think that is a fair statement. I am a wine drinker. I have taken wine onboard with me. And on that trip, I only drank that wine in my stateroom. I bought the wine package for dinner, and that is what I drank at dinner each night. I have not ever taken wine into the dining room that I took onboard. I am also not going to get all "by the rules" and tell someone else they shouldn't bring wine to dinner. If they are "ok" with doing it, I guess fine. I generally tend to follow the rules, but I also try to leave others alone and not judge them for their decisions.

I don't think that is a fair statement. I am a wine drinker. I have taken wine onboard with me. And on that trip, I only drank that wine in my stateroom. I bought the wine package for dinner, and that is what I drank at dinner each night. I have not ever taken wine into the dining room that I took onboard. I am also not going to get all "by the rules" and tell someone else they shouldn't bring wine to dinner. If they are "ok" with doing it, I guess fine. I generally tend to follow the rules, but I also try to leave others alone and not judge them for their decisions.

What is a wine package?
Carrie in NH

I rarely drink wine, but my friends do, and since DCL has allowed people to bring their own wine/alcohol onboard forever, while turning a blind eye to their request for people to enjoy it in their staterooms only, then I don't see a problem.

So I am going to tell you that I am a wine drinker. I have NEVER done this and your wholesale indictment of "wine drinkers" as liars is insulting.

You win a prize for rude! Just because your friends are cheating the system only shows you need to pick better friends, not that everyone is doing it!

Wonder how you were so blessed to be appointed "judge of the world" :rotfl2:

Even a very full glass of wine would not make it to the dinning room with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter