Avoiding Cheerleaders and "15s"

allears

"If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!
We just returned from a brief stay at Disney World. We overnighted at All Star Movies before sailing on the Disney Magic on 1/31/15. Then upon leaving the ship on the 8th, we spent the 8th and 9th at Movies as well. We tend to cruise this time every year and every year we run into a gazillion cheerleaders and "15"s (from South America). Obviously a value resort makes sense for them. And, in theory, for us too as we spend little time in the room, but we do use the food court and buses.

For those who might know, would booking a moderate resort next year get us away from the throng of teen girls or do they inhabit those as well? We know we won't be able to avoid them at the parks, but at the resort and buses would be a real plus.

Been there done that, cancelled last month onsite reservation because I simply couldn't do it again. Miserable. I had heard that some of the 15's were at POR last year when we were there. What I do know is that the cheer, dance, sports etc teams are usually offered a value and moderate package. Some of the bigger ones this year are being offered AllStars, POP and CBR. CBR has been used for years, I thought maybe once the rehab that would have stopped but it hasn't. POR or CSR more rarely. I think the only safe place is POFQ or deluxe or what I did - offsite in a very nice suite for less money than a value. Actually got to sleep this year.

There was a posse of brazillian teen girls chanting at the top of their lungs in Epcot while I was there last week. Too my surprise, a cast member ran over, made a time out sign with her hands and yelled, stop that right now or you will have to leave. They stopped...until they got around the corner. The cheerleaders weren't as bad as the cheer moms, who are now 40 something wannabe cheerleaders.....ugh, blocking entire paths to take photos and pretending that they are so cute we won't mind and the earth can stand still until the pose is just perfect.

Tom

The cheerleaders weren't as bad as the cheer moms, who are now 40 something wannabe cheerleaders.....ugh, blocking entire paths to take photos and pretending that they are so cute we won't mind and the earth can stand still until the pose is just perfect.

LOL...I DIE. So true. DH and I were just at a touristy place here in Atlanta last weekend and these GD cheermoms were exactly as you described.

"15"s (from South America).

Why are they called "15's"? I've experienced these throngs in the past, as we sometimes go in Jan-Feb, but chose May instead (for several reasons, including avoiding these loud mobs).

Why are they called "15's"? I've experienced these throngs in the past, as we sometimes go in Jan-Feb, but chose May instead (for several reasons, including avoiding these loud mobs).

They are celebrating their Quinceanera which is "Sweet 15" in Spanish. It's a big deal in their culture.

You can't avoid them in the parks in the months where they proliferate. Stay at the resorts they don't stay at en masse (which is basically the deluxes/DVC resorts and maybe Art of Animation.) They stay at values AND moderates. one of my trips coincides with a major cheer/dance competition where the girls will be put up at the values (except AOA) and CBR. Pop Warner in December uses POR sometimes and there are reports of them being at CSR. POFQ may be the best shot at a pretty much group-free stay in a moderate.

Art of Animation is mostly suites, with few regular rooms, so it seems to avoid the group influx.

Celebration of their 15th birthday. The kids at WDW are from Brazil and Argentina and it's called a variety of names in Portuguese - festa de debutantes, baile de debutantes, festa de quinze anos and fiesta de quince.

You can't avoid them in the parks in the months where they proliferate. Stay at the resorts they don't stay at en masse (which is basically the deluxes/DVC resorts and maybe Art of Animation.)

Last year we attempted to use the AoA Food Court and Buses since we could not use them at POP and it was bad too. Either they stayed there too or crossed the bridge in mass.

We are there April 23 -may 10, Staying at POP. Are we going to hit mass amounts these groups? And I agree 75% of the time its the moms not girls. Im a dance mom and I told my girls if I ever get like that smack me upside the head!

ISAF Cheerleading World Tournaments are April 25-27 at WDW and Pop is one of the resorts being offered for their packages. Much of the time they will be competing at WWOS. Practice venues are being offered at Coronado Springs Resort (likely in the convention center). There will be a private party for them at DHS. Don't know what day that is, or if it will affect the park's closing time.

Found it, it's April 27. Don't know what time

Last edited:
they offer up to 5 night packages. Many of them will be arriving on the 22nd so I'd guess they'll be around from the 22nd to 28th.

I think there is a one cheer competition then, during the end of February but I am thinking that most of the 15s will be heading home by then. This is the main reason I chose to put off my trip till the end of February. I think the cheerleaders are scheduled to be at the All Stars mostly. I really hope they won't be at CSR. I know that there is some type of convention at the end of February there, but don't know or have'nt heard at all about any cheer groups.

We were two nights into our stay at CBR last week when many of the cheerleader groups arrived for their competition. It was awful! They overtook nearly the entire resort. We still had 3 more nights at CBR before we were moving to our second resort on our split stay. Needless to say that very night our trip turned into a three resort stay. I couldn't do it. There were issues with it being very noisy, very crowded, and the buses being nearly impossible. After one last issue with a nightmare of a bus ride we packed up and moved resorts at nearly midnight. From my experience staying at a deluxe resort is the way to go to avoid the bulk of that issue. (Both the second and third resort we stayed at were deluxe.)

This makes me so sad :( We don't have any other options besides staying off site so I guess we will just grin and bear it

We were originally booked for April 25-May 1 but after reading these boards and researching the cheer competitions we've moved our trip forward. It's our first onsite stay at Pop and I could not face no sleep for a week and cheering in every park! From looking at the cheer registration sites they can check in from April 23rd for 5 days. I believe there might also be another competition starting on May 1st. Try requesting top floor away from the pool, hopefully you will get lucky.

We just returned from a brief stay at Disney World. We overnighted at All Star Movies before sailing on the Disney Magic on 1/31/15. Then upon leaving the ship on the 8th, we spent the 8th and 9th at Movies as well. We tend to cruise this time every year and every year we run into a gazillion cheerleaders and "15"s (from South America). Obviously a value resort makes sense for them. And, in theory, for us too as we spend little time in the room, but we do use the food court and buses.

For those who might know, would booking a moderate resort next year get us away from the throng of teen girls or do they inhabit those as well? We know we won't be able to avoid them at the parks, but at the resort and buses would be a real plus.

My daughters cheer squad was there this past week for Nationals and they have the choice of choosing any of the all-stars, Pop, CRB, and CSR. I also know from previous years that AoA is very popular as well. POR may be your only option if you want to avoid the cheer groups.

The cheerleaders stay at all types of resorts. Depends on the group. My friend was there with her daughters squad on theyear stayed mod. Another group I talked to stayed deluxe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter