August 2016 coming quickly....

Thankfully I managed to find another commuter car (2002 Ford Focus 5 speed) for like 800 bucks!!! Just needed a clutch which I did myself. So once the trailer is loaded and ready, I can hitch the truck to it the night before and have it ready and waiting for our departure!! And due to my job I will either be at my remote site that day 40 minutes from home, or work from home that day. Either way it ensures I can get home by 5, have dinner and be ready to hit the road before 7. I don't want to hit the road any later then 7, but I am not rushing out the door either since around 6pm rush hour dies down in the outer reaches and by the time I get to warrenton it will also have cleared up a lot and by the time we get to I95 it will be long after rush.

Now you know it's getting real. Guess what arrived today?

Yup!

magicBands-August2016.jpg

We all wanted the Purple, but apparently my little one (Ariana) didn't realize that Mom and I both got purple. When she saw them, her response was "REALLY? You guys got purple too?" Didn't quench the excitement though.

Funny on the color. Do they also have your name somewhere besides the box?

j

Yes, name are on the back as well. My bands are sitting on the pile of things to move to the camper.

I have not had a chance to do much, we got back from our weekend away. Then last night was Caren's birthday which we had a great time. Now its back to work and packing/planning. We expect a heat wave to get here starting tomorrow, but somehow I am going to make progress on the cleaning and preparation for the trip. But mostly inside stuff rather then outside.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. It seems that the material that the are using to make the MB's is much thinner too. The original bands were much thicker around the wrist. I don't know if this reduction in material is a result of complaints/feedback or just a cost saving measure. I guess I will have a better sense of the effectiveness after our August trip.

I noticed the ones from February where just a little thinner, but in a good way that worked with my shirts and coats. Though I double I will need more then a rain coat next month.

Joining in. We just came home from a local camping trip and I have a list of things I need to restock for next week. The camper is going in on Monday for some maintenance (tire check, pack bearings, etc) We leave August 1st. We decided since this is our first trip down with the camper to take our time. We're stopping in Ashland and then again at the St. Mary's KOA. Check-in is on the 4th. We're a little nervous about the Baltimore and DC areas, but we'll take it as it comes. I feel REALLY behind seeing how long you guys have been preparing!

Long time preparing but going VERY slowly at it. Ours is a new TT so there is no "Maintenance" to speak of. There is however the "Exercising" of things. (Slides, water system, heaters, AC, TVs etc...)

Still haven't slept in the new one. I think we need to do a night in it to see, before we go, that there are no issues there too.

Most of my prep is cleaning and converting from Racing to vacation modes. This past weekend I had was asked to be part of the first race weekend at a new track that opened in Thornburg, VA. Dominion Speedway (that some may remember from Manassas, VA as Old Dominion) is now open. Their circle track and road courses are operational. It was a HOT weekend for the first event, but our Safety crew made it down there to offer our knowledge and experience. The track is very technical and I bet a blast to drive. A little dusty as the grass has not taken hold yet, but this was no different then when NJMP first opened.

I was pleasantly surprised that the dual AC could keep yup with heat indexes of over 110F. Hottest part of the day the RV was around 73F with zero shade.

Now that I am back home its time to start the cleaning inside and out for the trip. My truck also needs a good cleaning after the trip as well, but there is still enough time to make it all happen. 18 days to departure!!! After taking US15 to US17 I think I am going to shoot for Petersburg, VA for Thursday night, then St. Mary's KOA or Savannah South KOA is the goal for Friday night. Saturday is then Disney!!!! This week I am focused on having the trailer prepped and ready to roll as well as finish waxing it as I started the process but with the head I have not been out there.

For navigating the Baltimore/DC corridor it is all about timing and avoiding the peak of rush hour. Remember you cannot take propane through the MD tunnels, so you have to either head east and take the bridge, or head west through Towson (no toll this route) to get southbound. I95 south of DC starts to back up around 3pm and peaks around 5 and sadly on a Friday nights the traffic is thick all the way to Richmond. But if you time you departure right you can get past most of that and avoid the frustration.

Pretty sure we're going to go the 695 route around Baltimore. We know ALL about the traffic on 95. We used to live in Fredricksburg, VA. Fridays and Sundays in the summer were a nightmare with the vacation traffic.
Now someone talk to me about online check-in. Should I just do that or are there any pros to just waiting until we get there to check-in?
Also, the cable situation-do we need anything more than coaxiel cables?
We're getting close now!

I think the need for the Online check-in depends upon your arrival time. Both times we have stayed at the Fort (so far) we were checking in early in the day (7 AM-ish) and it was nice to go in and talk to the CMs and get all the information and questions answered.

If you have a "Loop" or "Site" preference, I can certainly see how doing the Online Check-in to have that noted on the reservation. It's my understanding that CMs try to accommodate those requests as much as possible.

Apparently, if you have done the online check-in, it's possible to have your "Stop" at the gate/check-in be very minimal or even skip it all together. For us, it's not an issue as of yet. Still not sure if we are going to use it or not. Probably will try it this trip because DW is pushing to get the 1000 loop. Me, I don't care what loop we are in as long as the rig fits.

As far as the "Cable" goes, you should only need the coax to connect from the post to the Camper. That said, however, the TV you have could make a difference. Apparently some of the TVs that are put in the RVs don't have the QAM tuner in them, in those cases, it's my understanding that you can get a cable box from the Meadows to help you out.

Thanks Peg110! We don't know enough about the Fort to have a preference of loops just yet. Like you, as long as we fit, we'll be happy.

Funny thing.... we have only been to the Fort 2 times (This trip will be our third), but I have learned a plethora of information from this board. So I don't really have a preference yet. I was happy with 1401 for location and ease of access but I think it's also important to experience the other parts of the fort too. Like I tell my kids when it comes to eating new foods.... If you don't try it you will never know if you like it or even love it.

Hope you have an awesome trip.

I have been doing online check in since it became available. It does reduce the time at check in once there vs. when I did not do it. But I am not sure how long it would take if I did not do online check in.

So I have added 12 volt outlets and USB ports to the new TT as it didn't come with any. I have just ordered a Vent Cover (Camco) help keep the TT cool while traveling and simultaneously keeping the weather (rain, if any) out. Also ordered a rear "High-speed RV Observation system" (i.e. backup camera that can be always on) because I am a bit nervous about towing this TT which is in the neighborhood of 37 feet long from the bumper of my TV. Since the TT is already "Pre-Wired" for that model of camera, the install should be simple. I guess I will know on Friday when they are both scheduled to arrive.

I also decided to get an automatic transfer switch for my inverter. Not sure where and how I will install the inverter. It's a 3000W Pure Sine wave inverter (6000W surge). I don't want to chance using a modified sine wave on the equipment in the RV (TV, Fridge, microwave, Computers, Phones, etc...) I do know where I will put the Transfer switch though. Not sure if I will get this done before our August trip though. I hope so. Still so much to do.

I finished my Disboard marker DisboardMarker.jpg

but since it's Wood (3/4" MDF) I want to shellac/polyurethane it to protect it. Hope to get the supplies for that today after work. Never did shellac/polyurethane work before so I will have to read up on that.

I finished my Disboard marker
disboardmarker-jpg.184281

Nice job with the sign Paul!

I like your sign. I need to make one after seeing everyone's at Gulf State Park. I was told I would have a Disney light for my birthday. That was last Monday, but I haven't seen the person that told me yet. That side of the family will do our birthdays when I get back from Gatlinburg.

Let me know how the rear view camera works. It is the same one Coachmen used to put that one on their Chaparrals. I had one on my old 5er, but I got used to not having one when I towed the race trailers. They were 44 and 48 ft. You sort of figure it out after the first 20 or 30,000 miles. :D

j

We are 2 weeks from the start of the trip. Caren and I have already started our organizing and packing. I have caught up on the house chores and with it cooling off can finally work on the RV chores. Until I have an electrician come to the house and upgrade my panel I have no room for a dedicated RV outlet, so I cannot run the AC and vacuum at the same time. With the heat I did not want to pop breakers trying to run the AC to cool it down enough to work inside. Now that its cooler I can get back to cleaning inside, putting away racing stuff and setting up for the trip.

I have already washed the outside once and started removing black streaks. Thankfully due to the long afternoon shade and a weekend where I don't have to be everywhere I plan to get some wax on that baby. It has not been done since the first year I owned it so its time to shine up the gel gloss.

The truck also is a nasty dusty mess after the last race weekend. She too will get some TLC probably by next weekend with a full inside and out cleaning. After that she will be ready to roll south!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter