August 2016 coming quickly....

Thanks! The work is actually not that hard, it took me about 3 hours to wash the RV roof to wheels. Using a buffer to run the polish and a few large towels to take it off will make the work easy as it has in the past. It is just getting it done. The truck will need 2 hours time as well, I cleaned inside already but outside needs a good wash and wax (may have to wait till we return, but I get feisty sometimes and make it happen anyway.)

I also need to give my truck a good cleaning (Inside and out) but time is drifting fast. We arrive at the fort in 11 days (from today) but we depart in 9 days (we will leave after work). Plus, between work, and other "Activities" with the kids, coupled with the crappy weather we have had the past few days, it makes things tough to get done. Going to try though. Want to wash/wax and vacuum the truck. The TT should be okay as it's brand new, just got a few other things to tweak with it.

:jumping1: The excitement continues! :jumping1:

I have had my 5th wheel 2.5 years now and its only been waxed the first fall I had it. So its is overdue. The truck has not seen a sponge in 2 months and its a mess from the dustbowl of a new race track (common issue.) What I have going for me is I used to detail cars, so I find that I can get through them pretty quick once I have everything laid out and ready to roll. In weather this warm and on a truck this new I will just use a cleaner wax. Come fall I will break out the buffer and the 3m glaze and get a nice wax/sealer on it to keep her looking good through the winter months.

The heat and non stop evening T storms where also a big delay for me most of last week. As soon as I could deal with being out in the heat doing this kind of stuff it just kept storming. I am trying to take advantage of the shade I get in the afternoon and the cooler drier weather to get as much of this done as I can. After that I will just sweat off a few pounds but it will get done. We only get to the fort a day before you! So we should definitely try to catch up for a cold one.

We probably could be there to check-in on the Saturday, but it wouldn't be until late. Don't want to pay for a full day only to have to try and setup camp in the dark. We will be rolling in early on that Sunday, and hopefully there will be an "Early" opening. The DW would like the 1000 Loop. Me, I don't care as long as it's relatively easy to get in/out of with the rig.

Well, it's a good thing we're flexible. Plans have changed again. Last night we did end up stopping ahead of schedule. DH had been driving for about 12 hours and it was dark. We decided to grab dinner at a Cracker Barrel and discussed our options-did we want to try to overnight it there, get a hotel room or push it and go to the KOA. In the end, we decided to stay at the Quality Inn right behind the Cracker Barrel-we wanted air conditioning.
This morning we were back on the road and were trying to decide if we wanted to stop at the Jacksonville/St. Mary KOA or just keep going. We decided to stop but our decision was made much easier when the very nice lady at check-in told us that the pool was closed. So we got back in the car, I called Disney and was able to add a night to our reservation. Works for me!:jumping1:

WW - Not a bad change of plans if you ask me. I know myself and drive time well enough to know that St. Marys KOA is the farthest we will get on Friday after we leave. I hope we make good time, but we will see.

peg - I hear you, I am not big on setup in the dark either. I will do it if I have to, but having made the trip multiple times over the years I prefer to do it the way we are going. I could leave early on Friday, but really I am not that much of an early bird and would rather be on the road Thursday night and south of the DC area morning commute.

would rather be on the road Thursday night and south of the DC area morning commute.
That's why we leave in the evening. To get below the DC Beltway. I'd love to leave Thursday evening, but alas, work schedules versus amount of vacation time.... <sigh>, so we are leaving Friday Evening. We are not going to go the 95 route though. We will take I81 down to 76 and then swing over to 95 further down. It's slightly longer mileage wise, but time wise it's about the same and without the beltway headaches.

We've only done this trip (DRIVING to Disney) twice, and this will be the third. Sadly, I am stuck doing all the driving. It is what it is though. We drive that first evening until I get tired and pull over at a rest stop/truck stop/wal mart or whatever. Sleep for about 6 to 8 hours, then get up and get some eats and get moving again. Next day is a full day of driving and usually gets us just outside of the Fort. (I could make it but again, don't want to check in at 10 PM or so at night). Another Rest stop for a couple of hours, and then a short jaunt into the fort. :)

So I get another chance in November to "Test" the route again. We will be there for Thanksgiving (leaving the Wednesday before and basically the same trek).

Me I can be an early bird, a late bird, or a whenever bird, I just need some rest at some point along the way.

I too do all the driving. Normally would just leave first day morning and head for Point south KOA or Savannah South. With the dogs and the summer heat there is no way I would try to parking lot it overnight. Just way too uncomfortable.

I could not do it. I would need a genset or a campground, when the camper is over 80F when I stop for the day I would not want to wait for the temps to drop.

That's why we leave in the evening. To get below the DC Beltway. I'd love to leave Thursday evening, but alas, work schedules versus amount of vacation time.... <sigh>, so we are leaving Friday Evening. We are not going to go the 95 route though. We will take I81 down to 76 and then swing over to 95 further down. It's slightly longer mileage wise, but time wise it's about the same and without the beltway headaches.

We've only done this trip (DRIVING to Disney) twice, and this will be the third. Sadly, I am stuck doing all the driving. It is what it is though. We drive that first evening until I get tired and pull over at a rest stop/truck stop/wal mart or whatever. Sleep for about 6 to 8 hours, then get up and get some eats and get moving again. Next day is a full day of driving and usually gets us just outside of the Fort. (I could make it but again, don't want to check in at 10 PM or so at night). Another Rest stop for a couple of hours, and then a short jaunt into the fort. :)

So I get another chance in November to "Test" the route again. We will be there for Thanksgiving (leaving the Wednesday before and basically the same trek).

Me I can be an early bird, a late bird, or a whenever bird, I just need some rest at some point along the way.
Paul I am not an expert on Pa Roads but I think you might do better taking I76 to I81 then picking up I95 as you are leaving from Filth I mean Philadelphia area seems like an awfully long way to run west to Harrisburg and then pick up 81 to catch 76

no pets with us this time. I am concerned about the temperature without the AC.
Boo Hiss on leaving Furbabies home My 2 Heathen Hounds can't wait to go back to Mommy and Daddy camp and have no intention of letting us out the door without them. As our next trip will see us there for my birthday and Christmas I would be a very bad daddy indeed to leave them behind

Well, it's a good thing we're flexible. Plans have changed again. Last night we did end up stopping ahead of schedule. DH had been driving for about 12 hours and it was dark. We decided to grab dinner at a Cracker Barrel and discussed our options-did we want to try to overnight it there, get a hotel room or push it ant]
/QUOTE]
WW is that the CB at exit 49 if you so hit my favorite CB don't know why just love that one.
Check my travel logs from work re your trek to AI. Route you plotted out is same one we took a few years ago when we took a client from Del to Myrtle Beach. Just be advised 58 is 2 lane county road but back then it was in good shape. When you get into Va eastern shore there is a road to AI without going up into Md. Takes you past Wallops Island Testing range and into Chincoteague then to National Park Entrance of AI. Side note fuel prices Gas and diesel tends to be better in Va than Md or De. Plenty of Royal Farms to stop and fuel up and bio breaks on 13

Last edited:
Paul I am not an expert on Pa Roads but I think you might do better taking I76 to I81 then picking up I95 as you are leaving from Filth I mean Philadelphia area seems like an awfully long way to run west to Harrisburg and then pick up 81 to catch 76
Nope... Not from Philly area (THANK GOD) Not that I am entirely happy that I live near the Wilkes-Barre Area where I81 runs right through. So for us... It's 81 south to 77 (I said 76 previously but I meant 77). And YES, if I can avoid Philladelphia, I am happy to do so.

Boo Hiss on leaving Furbabies home My 2 Heathen Hounds can't wait to go back to Mommy and Daddy camp and have no intention of letting us out the door without them. As our next trip will see us there for my birthday and Christmas I would be a very bad daddy indeed to leave them behind

No Boo Hiss. My Dog can't travel right not. He has RA and has it bad. It's hard enough for him to walk. No way we could deal with him on that drive. He is, however, Going over to Grandma's (who spoils him) where is "Girl Friend" / "Sister" lives. (He's a 120# Yellow Lab, she's a 10# cockapoo). They were actually gotten right around the same time and started most of their first 2 years of life together.

We don't want to leave him, but really, he is better off. The cats, I don't think would WANT to travel. They freak out going to the vets. That's okay though, they will be home with the eldest and her BF to keep after them. No lonliness for furbabies.

JETS70, we're right around the corner from you at site 1208. I noticed your sign as we were walking to the bus stop. :goodvibes
We went to Trails End tonight. Great dinner as expected. Our site isn't the best as its backed up against a busy section of the road, but we won't be hanging out that much at the site anyway. We've been hanging out on the beach since after dinner and are waiting for the fireworks and water pageant.

Nope... Not from Philly area (THANK GOD) Not that I am entirely happy that I live near the Wilkes-Barre Area where I81 runs right through. So for us... It's 81 south to 77 (I said 76 previously but I meant 77). And YES, if I can avoid Philladelphia, I am happy to do so.

No Boo Hiss. My Dog can't travel right not. He has RA and has it bad. It's hard enough for him to walk. No way we could deal with him on that drive. He is, however, Going over to Grandma's (who spoils him) where is "Girl Friend" / "Sister" lives. (He's a 120# Yellow Lab, she's a 10# cockapoo). They were actually gotten right around the same time and started most of their first 2 years of life together.

We don't want to leave him, but really, he is better off. The cats, I don't think would WANT to travel. They freak out going to the vets. That's okay though, they will be home with the eldest and her BF to keep after them. No lonliness for furbabies.
I try to avoid Philly as much as I can Too bad some of the hospitals we serve like to send people up there so i tend to get those calls Like last week when right after we walked in the door and found out we were volunteered to go to LaTrobe Pa So much fun in the rain that flooded Elllicott City Md
So sorry to hear about you pup Ours are both 13 and showing it Wookie Bear has onset of Dysplasia and litte sister Maggie has touch of Arthritis in front legs so both have hard time with stairs Maggie down Wookie up. Fortunately cats like to ride on slide platform under the bed so we don't hear or see them till we stop then unfortunately our special needs one is all over the coach.

JETS70, we're right around the corner from you at site 1208. I noticed your sign as we were walking to the bus stop. :goodvibes
We went to Trails End tonight. Great dinner as expected. Our site isn't the best as its backed up against a busy section of the road, but we won't be hanging out that much at the site anyway. We've been hanging out on the beach since after dinner and are waiting for the fireworks and water pageant.

Out of curiosity, and maybe it was posted elsewhere and I missed it, but did they do the same thing at the Fort beach that they have done at Poly and GF? Are the rocks and fence in place or just a fence?

August is here and we are at the Fort with my family. We actually made it here on Saturday. Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the beach area. You can see from the pics that the rope fence also has heavy netting that goes from the top rope all the way to the sand. They are also in the process of adding sand to the beach. Looks like almost a foot of sand has been added. Looks like they are still adding more.
20160801_081814_zpsy0n84fgc.jpg

20160801_081749_zpsivgira4b.jpg

20160801_083118_zpsvvhh1ecf.jpg
I posted these pics a couple of days ago. I have not seen the Poly or GF beaches. Is this what you were asking about?

While at the pool on Tuesday, a cast member spoke with Fort guest and informed them about a premier showing of Pete's Dragon. This was a ticketed free event to be held in the field behind Pioneer Hall. You had to be signed up by 5 Tuesday evening. We had to change a Fast Pass but no big deal. We were given wrist bands and had to sign waivers and you were absolutely forbidden to take any cell phones or recording devices to the event. They provided water and popcorn and the Disney Conservation Fund who also sponsored the event along with the Disney Parks Blog group provided activities and trivia prizes. After a long day at MK......I wasn't sure that I wanted to sit in plastic chairs (they did have a padded seat) from 7:30 until 11:00 pm. I'm glad we did. I really enjoyed the movie......especially when I looked over at my 23 year old DD and she had big tears welling up in her eyes. And as a bonus Oakes Fegley......Pete......was there. Pretty cool time. We did get a Disney Blog hat, Pete's Dragon lunch bag and a Disney Conservation button and information.
20160804_095234_zpstyv9xd0g.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter