August 2016 coming quickly....

You better get back to work so you can get some rest!:D
It's funny you say that because there is (usually) some truth to that. At least for me. Well Except this time.

I got home yesterday around 3PM (1100+ Miles) through a torrential rain storm for the last 45+ minutes (Plus pulling off for gas during the storm) Only to unpack, do laundry and re-pack to go to St. Louis. I actually just got here in St Louis about 2 hours ago and am winding down my day here on the Disboards. Will the fun never end. :)

It's funny you say that because there is (usually) some truth to that. At least for me. Well Except this time.

I got home yesterday around 3PM (1100+ Miles) through a torrential rain storm for the last 45+ minutes (Plus pulling off for gas during the storm) Only to unpack, do laundry and re-pack to go to St. Louis. I actually just got here in St Louis about 2 hours ago and am winding down my day here on the Disboards. Will the fun never end. :)

We just got back from Concrod,NC spent a couple days with the in-laws so Im just catching up! Sounds like you had a very eventful trip to say the least! We are spending this week getting the trailer ready for our trip. With the kids starting back to school I really dont have the time to do it. How as your gas on the way down?

World Wackey Hope it was cooler on Ocean side of Va than it was across the way on the bay side where we were ( Tall Pines Harbor CG) we baked so badly events at CG barely worth going to and things only got worse at night when breeze died
Peg 101 srry to hear about camper and truck some people just cause a vacuum
4077 great shots with SW characters
It was pretty bad. During the day down at the beach we had a breeze so we were okay. But the nights were torture. During the day the camper went up to 97 degrees and at night only went down to 85. And you're right, absolutely no breeze. We have a hybrid so we thought we'd get an ocean breeze through the front bunk canvas. (The back half of the camper is two set of bunks-so enclosed.) And don't get me started on the biting flies and mosquitos! :eek:
Our best night was August 17th. A terrible storm came through and despite the thunder/lightning and wind, we had the best night's sleep. FINALLY, the camper got down into the 70s. The other bit of fun that night came at 2am in the form of an alarm sounding. I leapt from my bed thinking it was an evacuation because of the storm, but no, our battery decided to die! The lightning was so bad that dh decided to wait for the storm to pass before going out to unhook it. And still, THAT was the night we got the most rest because it was just SO DARN HOT the other nights!:laughing:

Welcome to the StL... And thanks for bringing the rain... :D

j
Happy to oblige. Although I haven't seen any of it. It apparently rained yesterday but I was inside in a room with no Windows. Only when we came out for lunch did we notice the puddles on the ground. Good thing too because I don't have my umbrella.

I apologize for lack of trip report updates since partway in. After two evenings I finally feel recovered from the drive home. I was just exhausted after going back to work on Monday. But now feeing energized and once I get home and settled tonight I hope to post the round up of our last days there and the trip home.

Hey folks, give us an update on how the WIFI in the campground worked for you. Any idea on speeds up or down?

Thanks,

Bama Ed

Great trip reports everyone! I fell off the map for a bit because after we checked out of The Fort on August 13th, we made our way up to Assateague State Park in Maryland where we went from a Mouse to ponies.

View attachment 189088
Nothing compares to Disney though. I feel like I'm ruined for life with customer service! At Universal, the team members were nice, but certainly not as friendly as cast members. Just trying to get Dd an ICEE at the end of the evening was like trying to crack the code to one of Gringott's vaults. No one wanted to point us in the direction of a venue that might still be open. An hour before park closing, all the vendors were closing up shop and avoiding eye contact.
In Assateague, the check-in process was extremely abrupt and after coming from The Fort, really stood out.
We're finally home after our three week vacation extravaganza and we couldn't have asked for a better first time at Fort Wilderness. I know that this won't be our last!
Can't wait to continue reading the reports! Safe travels to all of those coming and going in the days and weeks to come.

Sharon,
Glad you had a magical time (especially for the extra day for DD) at WDW and made it home safe. Lets face it....... what you are talking about is what makes Disney...... Disney and has us dreaming about our next visit whenever that may be. Maybe we will meet up again at the Fort someday.

Steve and Teresa

Hey, the rumors forum is suggesting that DW is filling in the pools on old River Country. If any of you there or arriving shortly see any activity if ya could post an update it might help.

Oh, and Ed brings up a good point:. How's the WiFi?

It is time for my very long overdue trip report update. I apologize for the delays but work and life came back first thing Monday morning and it took me all week to even recover enough to have enough time to make this even possible.

So last I left it we where waiting for the storms to pass after a great morning catching some rides and eats around Hollywood Studios. The storms seemed to go on for ever and cleared by the evening. We had plans to be at Chef Mickeys that evening and with time to spare we decided to head on over to Wilderness Lodge just to take in the resort and then spend a little time over at Magic Kingdom.

01bba687edbe16cf58050f16f9ebad76e9f930112d.jpg

After the storms had passed the weather had cooled to a comfortable level and that made it enjoyable. It was actually quite comfortable out and about. After some shopping there I found the pin I was looking for signify the trip. After some walking about we we jumped a boat over to Magic Kingdom and ran the monorail on over to the Grand Floridian. I just love the lobby there and we did some more resort walking before heading to the Contemporary.

Chef Mickeys was new for me, I had a great time and it was fun and enjoyable to watch the kids have fun and even felt a little younger myself.

01f9818a8998e76502cd501d06d8c82df86ce1e7a8.jpg

After Chef Mickeys is was off to late hours at Magic Kingdom. We made our way through Magic Carpets, Pirates, the Hunted Mansion, Philharmagic and Dumbo. We also found Zachary and My ears at that point and decided to get them. The ladies where not decided yet and they would get theres the next day. At that point we where all just toast and decided to head on back to the camper and call it a night. I think we got in at 12am and bed by 1a.

The next day we had plans to start early, but we decided to let the kids sleep in. And Sleep in they did, they slept till nearly 11 when we woke them so they could enjoy some of the things around the campground. Zachary really wanted to go out on the mouse boats, so we agreed to rent a pair. He being old enough to drive one he was all too happy, I drove the other one. After some time out on the water checking things out it was back to the camper and off to the pool and enjoy some more. We had a nice time at the pool and it was nice to slow down and relax.

01de8b65d7d561e63f4ace1b89003b32dc5b5e2799.jpg

After some much needed showers, and just missing the passing storm for the day it was off to Epcot for the afternoon and evening. We got to Epcot and first hit spaceship earth, then worked our way through the imagination stations and the word of color which was pretty cool and fun.

0162dafb59164d061d877885fa1af73350048d958e.jpg

After that was all said and done we went through Mouse gear and the ladies got their ears/hats. We now managed to find something everyone liked.

014918203d3b3eb4e741fef1e2267e83e0de86eaf9.jpg

After that we worked our way to world showcase for dinner. That is when things got difficult as we all wanted to eat somewhere else. Oddly we ended up at the Sit down dinner in China, which they gave us a great table with an awesome view of Illuminations from the comfort of AC. Once that was done, it was time to head home, we where all ready for some good rest.

Thursday we started the day with a Waffle breakfast courtesy of me. I needed some slow time in the morning anyway. After that we went to Disney Springs to do some searching and shopping. This time I drove as next up was Animal Kingdom which is just so long by bus. After some time in the Springs it was off to AK for Dinner at Tiffins their new restaurant. I can tell you save the money or the credits and try the place. It was so good, we all tried something different and the kids really experimented with Kendall having the prawn and Zachary having Octopus.

After the tasty dinner it was off to Everest for our fast pass, only the guys went as the ladies chose to pass. Once that was done we had some time to head to Bugs life and then it was off to see "Jungle Book: Alive with Magic" The show was ok, the humidity and packed house made that part almost unbearable. I thought the show was OK, the technology was really cool, but the show felt like and afterthought. I was ok with that since I got to at least experience it.

01a51b9447fb98d5e50cc167b8f81d15eba709a165.jpg

Once we got out of there it was a short stop in Dino Land for water and a ride, then off to our fastpass for the safari at night. That was different from the day, it was less talking and more spotting in the dark. I figured they would have a few LED lights on the trucks to see anything, but seriously it was only ambient light and that was it.

After that , we closed the night watching the show on the tree and had to go on primeval whirl one more time. The show on the tree was entertaining and a nice way to say goodbye, I like that they show it a few times after dark, not just once or twice. Then we made our way back to the truck and home for the night. We only had one park day left :( So there was some packing involved as we got ready for bed.

Friday kicked off the day with an early one, we where off to Epcot as close to opening as we could. We got there around 9:30 and it was prefect. We B-lined it for Soarin which we could never get a FP for, the wait said 30 and we where on the ride in 10 as they opened a new concourse!!!! My view on that was WOW!!! It was freaking awesome! I love the update to the show and the added concourse makes it really useful.

After that it was off to test track, my personal favorite ride. We had to wait a little longer but it was not all that bad. After that I went onto Mission Space while everyone else got a snack, after that we went on Universe of Energy as it was a nice way to cool off a little. Once we got out of there it was off to World Showcase for a snack of School bread and work our way through the shops we had not checked out yet over to Canada for a late Lunch in Le Cellier.

After that it was back to the camper to cool off and prepare for dinner with a friend and off to Hollywood Studios to catch their fireworks and our fastpass for Rockin Roller Coaster. That ended our trip, it was a bittersweet moment. We where ready to head home, the kids missed their father. And Caren and I missed the space of our homes.

Unfortunately that is when the long trip home just started. Saturday morning started out smooth, we got packed up and ready to hitch. Breakfast at Trails End, and the hit the road. We where going by 12, even though our goal was 11. We where making great time and about 2.5 hours in stopped for a bathroom break. We could not have been back on the road more then 10 miles when one of my trailer tires blew out. It did some damaged to the sheet metal, but was not that bad. I threw the spare on it and got going down the road, in the mean time Caren and I where looking up and calling places to get a new tire so we had a spare. Well unless I wanted to backtrack 30 miles we where having a hard time finding someone who had a tire in stock.

We ended the drive still searching in SC at New Green Acres. It is a good stopping point and I needed the rest off the road. That night I did some searching and finally found tire with A E load rating in Dillon, SC (it was sunday, options where few.) We hit the road knowing we where already pushing it not having a spare on the trailer. Well 10 miles south of Dillon another tire blew out violently. It did a lot of sheet metal damage which now instead of working out some minor dents I need to worry about a body shop. I figured no problem, I found the tires and called CoachNet for a tire service. I go through the normal call and process and wait. After about and hour they call me saying they are still looking for a provider with a tire in stock. I tell them I know where they are and give them the information, another hour goes by and they call back with no options. I finally gave up on them, pulled the rim off. Took the spare as well, unhitched and ran up to Dillon for two tires. I came back, got myself reconnected, tires changed and back on the road.

That delay caused us to eat dinner on the road, which added to the already delayed arrival at home. We did not get in till after 12am, I was compeltely wiped out and had nothing left. I parked the trailer, plugged it in and then off to sleep. I spent this past week dealing with work, cleaning the camper, getting things sorted out for the repairs and reasearching tires to replace whats left original on the trailer. I know it will all work out, but it took a nice stress relieving vacation and made a super stressful return. It ticks me off the tires where only date stamped early 2013, I was planning to go G rated before the winter trip. But I was not doing so before this trip, now I kind of wish I had made that jump this summer and avoided the tire issues.

Friday kicked off the day with an early one, we where off to Epcot as close to opening as we could. We got there around 9:30 and it was prefect. We B-lined it for Soarin which we could never get a FP for, the wait said 30 and we where on the ride in 10 as they opened a new concourse!!!! My view on that was WOW!!! It was freaking awesome! I love the update to the show and the added concourse makes it really useful.

After that it was off to test track, my personal favorite ride. We had to wait a little longer but it was not all that bad. After that I went onto Mission Space while everyone else got a snack, after that we went on Universe of Energy as it was a nice way to cool off a little. Once we got out of there it was off to World Showcase for a snack of School bread and work our way through the shops we had not checked out yet over to Canada for a late Lunch in Le Cellier.

After that it was back to the camper to cool off and prepare for dinner with a friend and off to Hollywood Studios to catch their fireworks and our fastpass for Rockin Roller Coaster. That ended our trip, it was a bittersweet moment. We where ready to head home, the kids missed their father. And Caren and I missed the space of our homes.

Unfortunately that is when the long trip home just started. Saturday morning started out smooth, we got packed up and ready to hitch. Breakfast at Trails End, and the hit the road. We where going by 12, even though our goal was 11. We where making great time and about 2.5 hours in stopped for a bathroom break. We could not have been back on the road more then 10 miles when one of my trailer tires blew out. It did some damaged to the sheet metal, but was not that bad. I threw the spare on it and got going down the road, in the mean time Caren and I where looking up and calling places to get a new tire so we had a spare. Well unless I wanted to backtrack 30 miles we where having a hard time finding someone who had a tire in stock.

We ended the drive still searching in SC at New Green Acres. It is a good stopping point and I needed the rest off the road. That night I did some searching and finally found tire with A E load rating in Dillon, SC (it was sunday, options where few.) We hit the road knowing we where already pushing it not having a spare on the trailer. Well 10 miles south of Dillon another tire blew out violently. It did a lot of sheet metal damage which now instead of working out some minor dents I need to worry about a body shop. I figured no problem, I found the tires and called CoachNet for a tire service. I go through the normal call and process and wait. After about and hour they call me saying they are still looking for a provider with a tire in stock. I tell them I know where they are and give them the information, another hour goes by and they call back with no options. I finally gave up on them, pulled the rim off. Took the spare as well, unhitched and ran up to Dillon for two tires. I came back, got myself reconnected, tires changed and back on the road.

That delay caused us to eat dinner on the road, which added to the already delayed arrival at home. We did not get in till after 12am, I was compeltely wiped out and had nothing left. I parked the trailer, plugged it in and then off to sleep. I spent this past week dealing with work, cleaning the camper, getting things sorted out for the repairs and reasearching tires to replace whats left original on the trailer. I know it will all work out, but it took a nice stress relieving vacation and made a super stressful return. It ticks me off the tires where only date stamped early 2013, I was planning to go G rated before the winter trip. But I was not doing so before this trip, now I kind of wish I had made that jump this summer and avoided the tire issues.

Wow....you probably still wiped out. Glad you made it home safe in end....

Wow... that was a rough trip coming home. We had some issues coming home, but it was more with weather. Oh yeah. and someone (at some point, not sure where) hit my truck and camper. I am thinking that the way the damage was (high on the drivers side of the truck over the rear wheel as well as on the front of the camper a little bit higher up then the truck) that it was probably someone maybe on a bike that ran into the truck... lost balance and into the camper. Thinking this happened at the hotel we stayed at. Not really sure though. What's annoying is that it's probably less then the deductible on each. Life goes on though, I suppose.

I too had a crazy time AFTER I got back. I still haven't gotten things settled back into my normal routine. Still haven't even gone through all the memory maker photos yet either. We got back on on (last) Sunday about 4PM (or so) Could probably have been home a bit sooner, but the torrential rain storm slowed traffic to a crawl on I-81. This is an area (Heggins, PA) that usually has dangerous fog (so dense that you can barely see 5 feet in front) but based on the time of day we were hitting it, I figured it wouldn't be a problem (We have hit it before and it can slow you to 5 MPH for several miles). Well instead we had RAIN that did almost the same thing. I pulled off at the next exit that had Gas because of the slow traffic, I didn't want to chance running out (and I would have most likely run out if I didn't stop). So the gas station was mostly full. I was able to pull in to a spot. There was a guy at the pump ahead of mine, but as I pulled up to my pump, there was a barrage of rain coming down on the truck. The overhead storm channels on the overhead roof were overflowing and well.... I wasn't going to get out at that spot. I figured, I'd wait for the guy ahead of me to leave and pull up to his pump. He apprarently was shopping or talking or whatever, in the store while I was waiting for him to come out. Worse yet, all of us had to use the bathroom, but until he pulled up, we weren't going to be able to get out (without getting soaked).

So he finally came out and left. I pulled up and started pumping. DW and DD went to the bathroom. Had to use the service station facilities as the barrage of rain was now coming down over the TT's door. So they went inside. I finished pumping and followed... Now I think the guy that was in the car in front of me was now in the bathroom ahead of me or at least a friend or relative of his... because it was another (almost) 10 minutes to wait to get into the bathroom. Finally I knocked and 5 seconds later the door open and out the person came. Good thing to because my eyes were getting quite YELLOW. :headache:

So when we got home.... got everything (mostly) out of the TT and I had to get my laundry done because on Monday, I had to go catch a plane to St. Louis for work. What really sucks, is I really had no time to even enjoy the town (er... city). Got there late on Monday. Checked in to hotel, got something to eat (McDonalds.... :crazy2:) and then off to bed I go. :faint:

Next morning up early, find my way to the center... uh... don't know where to park. Finally get that figured out, made it to my meeting a few minutes late, but at least I didn't miss anything. So Tuesday and Wednesday were full days of work/meetings and Thursday I had an early flight out. (Left hotel at 5AM... :coffee:). I did manage to get a little time on Wednesday to walk around St. Louis. Nice city, but it seems like it's been hit hard economically. So many LARGE buildings that are vacant. It's kind of depressing really. I was walking around and the buildings made me feel like I was in NYC or Chicago, but the lack of businesses and/or people said otherwise.

So I got home Thursday and had to unpack and unwind.... I need another vacation just to get caught up. Even at home, my garden grew like crazy while I was gone. I had to can 9 quarts of tomatoes yesterday, I have frozen about 36 cups of shredded zucchini (and still have much more zucchini to go) We won't even talk about the spaghetti squash and cherry tomatoes.

To re-iterate what others have said, I have really enjoyedparty: reading everyone's TR from their trips and glad that folks made it home safely (if not same for the TV or the TT/5er's). I will continue to follow along. As I finally get to some of the pictures, I might get some of them uploaded too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter