August 2016 Car Rental Rate watch

This is our first time flying into FLL, but the airfare was relatively cheap for a family of 5 (less than $1,000!!!) and the drive is doable. We booked an SUV for $205 for 8.5 days with Alamo, our Costco code and the $35 coupon that was valid earlier in the year. It's the most I've ever paid for a rental, but the cheapest I've ever paid for an SUV... Not sure how FLL works, but excited nonetheless.
How long ago did you book that rate? I booked a 10 day rental for mid size returning to CCC for $230 months ago (Costco) been watching rates and they've gone up to $433! Leaving in 2 weeks. Still waiting for prices to go down. Last year I got rental at $180

I've just noticed on Costco web site Budget rentals for Aug 3 pick up is starting to drop, so Alamo can't be far behind in dropping. I'm holding out for Alamo because I plan on dropping off at the Car Care Centre. But if you're staying at a resort near Disney Springs looking for a Wdw drop off Budget is in The Doubletree.

Rates are ridiculously high right now !!! I am still holding @ $326 for a midsize from Alamo (8/12-8/27). I am hoping to get a full size for that price or less.....Ran the rates today and its over $600 !!! WHAT IS GOING ON???? :sad2:

Just booked a one way compact from Orlando to west palm beach 8/17 -8/21 using $25 dollar off coupon, costco code for free second driver and as1 product code which says alamo insiders when entered, which I am. total 104.99. Nothing will beat my 49 dollar week long lax to san diego rental in may, but I'm ok with this.

Just two of us and carryons so a compact will be fine.

Yep, we leave in 12 days and the rates are $200 higher than what I booked. The lack of discounts makes it worse since we are using national. Strangely you get a lower rate before you add contract numbers.

I just checked the Costco.ca site (Canadian site)Alamo prices are starting to drop significantly. I think U.S. People can book on Canadian site, because we can book on US site. I book which ever one is cheaper.
Because I return car to Disney (I put Lake Buena Vista as drop off) vs airport, my rental selections are probably more limited, to Alamo, Budget or Avis. We prefer Alamo.
1.5 weeks till we leave. Hope to get price down to $200 or lower. Fingers crossed.

Question - if I book through Costco, can I still do the skip the counter thing?

Also, does Costco require that I pay in advance - I am not able to tell at this point?

Also, does Costco require that I pay in advance - I am not able to tell at this point?

Yes, but after booking on Costco's website, view your reservation. There are two numbers you will see. One is a costco confirmation, the other is an Alamo confirmation number. You have to goto the alamo site, and look up your reservation using the alamo confirmation number you now have. Then, proceed through the process to skip the counter and print out your 'bypass' paperwork which you need for the gate agent when leaving the garage.

As for paying in advance, I don't think so but I am not 100%, near 99.9% though, lol. Pretty sure when you goto the Alamo site and do the bypass thing, it asks for your credit card info and places a $1 pre-authorization charge on your card to make sure the card is valid. After returning the vehicle is when, if I'm not mistaken, you get charged.

Last edited:
OK GUYS, I JUST CHECKED DOLLAR AGAIN, AND IT DROPPED AGAIN JUST FROM THIS MORNING! $15 CHEAPER! I AM NOW DOWN TO $282 FOR 9 DAYS!

How long ago did you book that rate? I booked a 10 day rental for mid size returning to CCC for $230 months ago (Costco) been watching rates and they've gone up to $433! Leaving in 2 weeks. Still waiting for prices to go down. Last year I got rental at $180

I booked our car back in January I believe. I'm picking up at FLL, which is definitely different than we've done before. I've always lucked out with good pricing from TPA or MCO, just this year has been brutal!!!

I booked our car back in January I believe. I'm picking up at FLL, which is definitely different than we've done before. I've always lucked out with good pricing from TPA or MCO, just this year has been brutal!!!
It has been. Wonder what's going on in the car rental world! Are you spending some time in Lauderdale? Hope you enjoy. I'm looking forward to some beach time!

No, Costco doesn't require you to pay in advance. Not a good idea anyway since rates fluctuate. It s good just to book, but don't pay in advance. Rates could drop at the last moment.

I'm 9 days away now and the rates are $150 MORE than what I have booked already. So much for the theory that the price drops as you get closer.....hopefully I can eat those words and the price drops more than what I have booked by this time next weekend. We leave Tuesday August 2nd.

What's an Admin fee? We will be driving from Ft. L to Orlando.
It's the administration fee when you go thru toll booths, and there are a lot from Fll to Orlando, so don't use Sunpass Lane. Just go thru toll booths and pay as you go on the Turnpike. Once you hit Orlando I think there are some unmanned booths so you'll need change for those.
You can google car rental admin toll fees for Florida. They compare all the rental companies. The low cost rental companies have the highest fees. Sunpass.com

Last edited:
I'm 9 days away now and the rates are $150 MORE than what I have booked already. So much for the theory that the price drops as you get closer.....hopefully I can eat those words and the price drops more than what I have booked by this time next weekend. We leave Tuesday August 2nd.
Me too!! We leave Aug 3. This morning Avis dropped to $290 and I have Alamo booked at $230. Somehow I don't think they are going to drop much, but we still have time! Glad I booked my 10 days now at $230! Last year was $180. What's happening?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter