• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2016 Car Rental Rate watch

Up again this morning to $480. It looks like this summer people are paying a premium by booking last minute. Hopefully this isn't the new norm.

Crazy! My Alamo rental for 2 weeks/3 hours, with free upgrade, & AP discount, is $895.75 this morning.

Alamo for my dates with one way rental pick up at Ft Lauderdale, drop off at Disney CCC just went down by $30 from $460 to $430. First time price has moved in months, finally! Costco. Picking up 8/3.
We are booked at $230, hope it goes down to at least $200 for 10 days!

Last edited:

Yeah, definitely a premium this year but it's not just waiting late. I've been watching since literally the beginning of the year and while prices went down and now are going back up, prices never hit a reasonable low (for most people) to begin with.

Shame when it is something we do every year and things have pretty much remained the same routine up to this year. My late Sept. Into October trip I got my best rate many months ago, maybe March, but the august to September one never hit a viable low at least for minivan, standard SUV or full size SUV.

Alamo for my dates with one way rental pick up at Ft Lauderdale, drop off at Disney CCC just went down by $30 from $460 to $430. First time price has moved in months, finally! Costco. Picking up 8/3.
We are booked at $230, hope it goes down to at least $200 for 10 days!
I am picking u from Ft. L too. My lowest price that I can get is $345 for 8 day rental, returning to Orlando airport. How did you get price to $230? What codes did you use? Thanks!

I have never rented a car for a Florida trip before but this year is Legoland and Universal so we need it. DH requested it for length of stay even though we will have to pay to park at Uni. We need a Full Size from Aug 30-Sept 6. I read alot of this thread and then went rental car hunting. I think since we bridge into Sept alot of the codes here didn't work for me. However I did find some codes for Budget that did work. Right now I have a rate of $209 complete. I'm fine with that. But thanks to the good advice here I will keep on checking!
What is the Budget code that worked for you?

I am picking u from Ft. L too. My lowest price that I can get is $345 for 8 day rental, returning to Orlando airport. How did you get price to $230? What codes did you use? Thanks!
I booked on Costco site. I do have $230/10 days, I booked months ago. We pick up 8/3. Prices fluctuate, you have to watch frequently. Currently same rental is $430 :crazy2: a few days ago was $30 more. I'm hoping prices will drop from my $230! Last year a week before arrival price dropped to $180/10 day standard size.
I'm returning to Car Care Centre. We are 10 days in Lauderdale area, then returning car after we check into our Wdw resort. While at Disney I prefer to let them do the driving! Then take DME to mco.

If you aren't a Costco member, have a look at Mousesavers.com web site. They have a bunch of codes posted.

My trip is 2 weeks from today and this morning my lowest rate is $496 for a...cargo van. Yippee!

We leave two weeks from tomorrow and am glad I booked the rate I have. Not the best, but I'm happy with it. I have National for 9 days, executive aisle (so full size or larger) for $304. I could've had Alamo for a full size for $255, but kept the National rental for the hopes of something larger, plus the other perks I need to keep my executive status and free days credits.

I've been watching Alamo hoping for big drop too. My trip is 3weeks from tomorrow. Picking up and dropping off at the CCC is $150 less for a full size than at MCO. And $100 less picking up at CCC and dropping at MCO.
I already have rates I can live with, but not what I'm used to with Alamo. I look everytime I think of it.

I've been watching Alamo hoping for big drop too. My trip is 3weeks from tomorrow. Picking up and dropping off at the CCC is $150 less for a full size than at MCO. And $100 less picking up at CCC and dropping at MCO.
It's been a while for me. Remind me what CCC stands for? google isn't helping....

It's been a while for me. Remind me what CCC stands for? google isn't helping....
It's the car care center. It's on property. You take the magic express to your resort and then Alamo will come get you in the shuttle to pick up your car. I called a month ago for info and they told me I needed to book that shuttle pick up the day before.

This is our first time flying into FLL, but the airfare was relatively cheap for a family of 5 (less than $1,000!!!) and the drive is doable. We booked an SUV for $205 for 8.5 days with Alamo, our Costco code and the $35 coupon that was valid earlier in the year. It's the most I've ever paid for a rental, but the cheapest I've ever paid for an SUV... Not sure how FLL works, but excited nonetheless.

This is our first time flying into FLL, but the airfare was relatively cheap for a family of 5 (less than $1,000!!!) and the drive is doable. We booked an SUV for $205 for 8.5 days with Alamo, our Costco code and the $35 coupon that was valid earlier in the year. It's the most I've ever paid for a rental, but the cheapest I've ever paid for an SUV... Not sure how FLL works, but excited nonetheless.
Can I ask what the $35 coupon code is? WE are flying into Ft. L also, and the best I could get for 9 days is $335! Help!!

Does anyone know if Dollar Rental Car lets you pick your own car like Alamo does?

Does anyone know if Dollar Rental Car lets you pick your own car like Alamo does?
In theory, yes. We don't rent often from them, when we have @ MCO selection of cars is much smaller than what we've observed on Alamo/National aisle. Last time we were 'pointed' to a car, told the other few were missing keys.:confused3

It's been a few years since we used Budget there, believe they did assign a specific car. Does anyone know? Seeing slightly lower prices with them via car rental savers & USSA quote. Last night Hotwire was also coming in same range, by this point, typically much less.

Has anybody tried Priceline yet?

In theory, yes. We don't rent often from them, when we have @ MCO selection of cars is much smaller than what we've observed on Alamo/National aisle. Last time we were 'pointed' to a car, told the other few were missing keys.:confused3

It's been a few years since we used Budget there, believe they did assign a specific car. Does anyone know? Seeing slightly lower prices with them via car rental savers & USSA quote. Last night Hotwire was also coming in same range, by this point, typically much less.

Has anybody tried Priceline yet?

I believe Budget assigns their cars. At least last time we rented from them we did. We weren't super happy with the cleanliness of the car but we did get an free upgrade.

Happy to report that we are seeing a downward movement in prices through Alamo! We decided to go from a full-size to a mid-size to save $100. Then, I checked the rates again this morning, and we saved another $12 on our mid-sized rental. If the prices continue to drop, we may go back to a full-sized car later on. We still have about 6 weeks to go.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter