August 2016 Car Rental Rate watch

When you all are citing your rate, are you quoting the weekly rate before taxes and fees or the grand total?

We have a minivan through Alamo for 9/28-10/9 using the $25 coupon, Costco member code and AS1. My total is $550 including taxes. I'm aware of the issues with the AS1 code and have printed my confirmation, checked in online and will hope for the best. I can't find any rate within $150 of that price but keep seeing better rates for longer dates quoted here.
Is there better luck closer to the travel date?
I paid $445 all in, taxes and all for 16 days in a minivan at Mco-Alamo using AS1, Disney annual pass member and $25 off code. As above, no issues. Just got in the vehicle, handed my pre printed bypass paperwork at the booth with my credit card and drivers license. Done. :-)

I paid $445 all in, taxes and all for 16 days in a minivan at Mco-Alamo using AS1, Disney annual pass member and $25 off code. As above, no issues. Just got in the vehicle, handed my pre printed bypass paperwork at the booth with my credit card and drivers license. Done. :-)
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping for a better rate but not overly optimistic. Glad you were able to use the code. :)

We arrived on Monday 8/23 staying through 9/3. Booked midsize with free upgrade to standard. (AU5235ASJ) and used military discount. Which lets you pick from full size row Total for trip $233.81 . This was better then using the AS1 code. We scored a Town and country mini van. The full size row had a couple of mini vans and pick up trucks and other cars

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping for a better rate but not overly optimistic. Glad you were able to use the code. :)
No problem. For my dates, that rate using AS1 was unfortunately the best I was ever able to get, and I literally checked until the night before my flight. I tried so many codes and such every day for months my head was spinning lol. The day before I left Costco finally came within $50 but AS1 was still cheaper.

This was the first year of many that finding reasonable rates was tough. But usually we always left the day or two days before Labor Day itself. I wonder if leaving on Labor Day itself has anything at all to do with it. Doubtful, but this was indeed a strange year for pricing. I've got the same 16 days booked already for next year with free dining (booked two days ago) so we will most likely all 'see' each other in the August 2017 rental thread soon! :-)

Late to the game, whats the AS1 code? Can I use it?

AS1 is a product code people add to the Alamo reservation and often, usually, it can bring the rate down A LOT. However, no one really knows the origin of the code. Some say it's the Vegas Brazil code and from a travel company in south american, some say it's the alamo insider code (it's not), others just use it and don't worry about it. Sometimes it pulls up an error code when you use it. Sometimes it doesn't.

I have searched online to learn more and recently heard of a customer who was told by Alamo that this is an unknown code that is most likely associated with a particular company and if the customer were in a wreck, it could be seen as a fraudulent rental if the customer were not able to prove the legitimate association with the code.

That was enough for me to take it off and pay the extra $15 to avoid using a code which might be iffy. I use my costco contract ID, or my Annual pass contract ID and a coupon code. As long as the reservations accepts the coupon, it's good to go.

Just got to Alamo at MCO. I had a compact booked with the Costco $25 code and AS1 code. It included an additional driver. My total for 2 weeks was $219. The only aisle with minivans was the compact aisle so we grabbed one of them. It's a Kia. The fullsize aisle had a lot of pickup trucks. Also a couple SUV's. No minivans. The midsize aisle just had cars too. We arrived around 6pm. Just wanted to share my experience. See you guys in next August's board!

It seems like Alamo puts just about any car anywhere. I have a mid-size SUV coming up, I might try just taking a STD SUV. They guy at the booth doesn't know what type of car was put in which aisle. That probably doesn't work with the very high end things though.

It seems like Alamo puts just about any car anywhere. I have a mid-size SUV coming up, I might try just taking a STD SUV. They guy at the booth doesn't know what type of car was put in which aisle. That probably doesn't work with the very high end things though.

If I remember correctly I think I had read that they scan the vehicle into the isle when they place it there so if you find an X type of car in the isle you reserved it will check out at the price you were quoted originally. If you were to go pick a car from a row that's a class above what you paid for then you would be upcharged.

I returned my one-week Alamo rental to MCO this afternoon (AS1 promo and $25-off coupon). The roving checkout person in the garage gave me a receipt that matched exactly my confirmed rate. It all worked out great, although previous commenters in this thread made a good point about the risk of using dubious promo codes if anything should go wrong with the rental.

Just did my check in/skip the counter. Decided to go with the mini van (over full size) 8/30-9/6 $220 including taxes.

Thanks for all the AS1 feedback. Hope it goes as smoothly for me tomorrow!

I wonder if its because we are flying into West Palm Beach. I had no issues making this reservation or the one for my bro in law but now when I look to view either of them it wants we to remove the coupon 1st. it also will not let me make a new reservation with it either.

update: We picked up both cars on 8/20/16 at West Palm Beach Alamo and had no issues what so ever with the codes or coupons (we did not use the AS1 when making these reservations). We booked a minivan for 7 days at $209.00 and a mid-size for $93.00 we were given a Toyota Minivan and a Kia Optima. my only grip was that when we were at the counter the agent reminded me that my reservation was for a 7 passenger minivan but that If I wanted to I could upgrade to an 8 passenger one for a fee. I said no but he kept asking and I still said no and that we would be fine with the one for 7. When we got to the lot the 8 passenger ones ware all they had guess that's why he gave me the hard upsell.

Picked up our Alamo vehicle on 8/23 and returned it today using AS1, $25 coupon code and BJ's code and our price was honored with no problems. It was never even brought up. Skipped the counter, picked out the vehicle, drove to exit booth and attendant told us to have a nice vacation, brought it back today was handed my receipt and off we went no questions asked.

update: We picked up both cars on 8/20/16 at West Palm Beach Alamo and had no issues what so ever with the codes or coupons (we did not use the AS1 when making these reservations). We booked a minivan for 7 days at $209.00 and a mid-size for $93.00 we were given a Toyota Minivan and a Kia Optima. my only grip was that when we were at the counter the agent reminded me that my reservation was for a 7 passenger minivan but that If I wanted to I could upgrade to an 8 passenger one for a fee. I said no but he kept asking and I still said no and that we would be fine with the one for 7. When we got to the lot the 8 passenger ones ware all they had guess that's why he gave me the hard upsell.

This is a common rental company tactic. The car class that the customer booked is sold out, they know this, and they know they will have to upgrade you to the next class at no extra charge. But first they try to persuade you to pay for the upgrade. :rolleyes2

Just did my check in/skip the counter. Decided to go with the mini van (over full size) 8/30-9/6 $220 including taxes.

Thanks for all the AS1 feedback. Hope it goes as smoothly for me tomorrow!
Picked up our minivan yesterday. Everything went smoothly (I had used AS1 and $25 coupon)!!!!
I saw two minivans in the full size aisle. Wished I had gone with that (cheaper ressie) and still got the minivan. Oh well.

Picked up our minivan yesterday. Everything went smoothly (I had used AS1 and $25 coupon)!!!!
I saw two minivans in the full size aisle. Wished I had gone with that (cheaper ressie) and still got the minivan. Oh well.

Ooh hope they are still there tomorrow for me, LOL!

It has been a very long but awesome trip. We returned our AS1 & $25 off vehicle this morning after 16 days and there were no issues. Typical drop off, get receipt and gone.

As has always been the case, Alamo at Mco is great. See you guys at Alamo in less than 3 weeks for our next reservation for food and wine. No as1 on that one though, phew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter