August 2012 Car Rental Thread

I keep trying and getting nothing - aug 21 to 27. I've found the best rate so far using the national code that was posted a while back 1234567 and a coupon code.

Dollars rates are showing a total of $246 for a Full-Size for 8 days at the end of August but they also charge $7.49/day for the toll tag option that you get with Budget or Alamo for less than $10 max.

$103/week total through National, up to full-size only. Pick up is listed as Shades of Green, but if you call the CCC beforehand, you may pick up your vehicle there for the same rate. (They drive the cars over to SOG, so it saves them a trip.) You may return to SOG/CCC or MCO.

1) Open Kayak in one tab and National's website in another. Sign in to your Emerald Club account; once your sign in is confirmed, close the tab.

2) On the Kayak homepage, click cars on the top center.

3) Choose to drop off at a different location; for your pickup location, put in "Lake Buena Vista, FL" and "MCO" for your drop off location

4) Input your dates and times, no need to select to compare to other sites. (Unless it's changed in the last hour, this is the best deal going.) I selected 5:00 for you, since 4:30 wasn't an option.

5) Wait for the options to load completely; click on the National option for the full size car; it will say "$20/day, $205 w/ tax". The National website will begin to load in another tab.

6) The National website will load, and will show you a total of ~$140.xx

7) On the left hand side of the screen, select "Edit Trip Information"

8) The traditional booking screen will come up. Leave the Contract ID and the IATA# alone; in the Coupon box, type ND8578ADT.

9) Click "Continue". Depending on your saved preferences with National, it may take you to the vehicle selection page, or to your pre-defined vehicle choice. If you have a saved preference that is different from what you are pricing now, simply click "Edit Vehicle Selection" on the left hand side.

10) When you have selected the appropriate vehicle, your total for a full size will show the $102.xx

Dollars rates are showing a total of $246 for a Full-Size for 8 days at the end of August but they also charge $7.49/day for the toll tag option that you get with Budget or Alamo for less than $10 max.

I am completely unfamiliar with how the toll roads work. Help, :eek:

Do the rental car companies charge a flat rate to use a toll device? A flat rate to use it & then the costs of whatever tolls you incur?

How do I know what each rental car company charges & how to factor that into my total cost. I had no idea this was going to even be an additional expense. Aaaaagggggggg........:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Thank you to anyone kind enough to help. This is new to me.

Well the problem is that while we are staying at SOG and while it would seem ideal, it means that we'd still have to pay for transport from the airport to SOG since we cannot get magical express. So even if we pay for car service (about $60 one way) we're only saving about $40 over the $203 rate I've already got. Plus, our flight is very early and we were going to do a supermarket/lunch stop before getting to shades and/or DTD.

On the other hand, it's a saving, for sure, if you can get the car shipped to CCC and you can take the ME for free.

Do the rental car companies charge a flat rate to use a toll device? A flat rate to use it & then the costs of whatever tolls you incur?

How do I know what each rental car company charges & how to factor that into my total cost. I had no idea this was going to even be an additional expense. Aaaaagggggggg........:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Thank you to anyone kind enough to help. This is new to me.

I believe you can decline 'toll service' and simply use cash to go through the tolls.

this page gives info:
https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

$103/week total through National, up to full-size only. Pick up is listed as Shades of Green, but if you call the CCC beforehand, you may pick up your vehicle there for the same rate. (They drive the cars over to SOG, so it saves them a trip.) You may return to SOG/CCC or MCO.

1) Open Kayak in one tab and National's website in another. Sign in to your Emerald Club account; once your sign in is confirmed, close the tab.

3) Choose to drop off at a different location; for your pickup location, put in "Lake Buena Vista, FL" and "MCO" for your drop off location

4) Input your dates and times, no need to select to compare to other sites. (Unless it's changed in the last hour, this is the best deal going.) I selected 5:00 for you, since 4:30 wasn't an option.

5) Wait for the options to load completely; click on the National option for the full size car; it will say "$20/day, $205 w/ tax". The National website will begin to load in another tab.

8) The traditional booking screen will come up. Leave the Contract ID and the IATA# alone; in the Coupon box, type ND8578ADT.

9) Click "Continue". Depending on your saved preferences with National, it may take you to the vehicle selection page, or to your pre-defined vehicle choice. If you have a saved preference that is different from what you are pricing now, simply click "Edit Vehicle Selection" on the left hand side.

10) When you have selected the appropriate vehicle, your total for a full size will show the $102.xx

Thank you! I thought I'd never beat the "safety" resesrvation I had made back in February through Costco for my 8/9-19 trip. It was $388 for a full size (with taxes). But my rate using your suggestion is $167.49 for those same dates. :cool1: It will be a bit of a hassle to pick up at the CCC or Shades of Green rather than the airport, but the cost of a cab ride pales in comparison to the $220 I will save. Thank you!

How do I know what each rental car company charges & how to factor that into my total cost.

Here are the costs the last time I checked which was sometime last year (don't think they would have changed). The website for the Florida toll company has all the rates. You pay the below costs plus the cost of the tolls.

Dollar $7.99 $37 max
Alamo $2 Day $6 max
Enterprise $2 Day $6 max
National $2 Day $6 max
Budget $2.50 $10 max

Here are the costs the last time I checked which was sometime last year (don't think they would have changed). The website for the Florida toll company has all the rates. You pay the below costs plus the cost of the tolls.

Dollar $7.99 $37 max
Alamo $2 Day $6 max
Enterprise $2 Day $6 max
National $2 Day $6 max
Budget $2.50 $10 max

Wow! THANK YOU SO MUCH :cool1:

Very helpful :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

THANK YOU!!!!!!

This took my car rental plan 8/9-8/18 MCO>MCO at $431 with Visa code/$30 off coupon down to 8/10-8/18 SOG>MCO for $163 :banana::banana::banana:

We are staying at POFQ so we will just call the CCC early in the morning on 8/10 and let them know we want to pick the car up there instead of SOG (thank you so much for that tip too!).

I will still keep checking...but this is a reservation that I can live with :dance3:

And I just did one even better.

Modified the above reservation to include $35 coupon found on Mousesavers ND8578ADT....

Reservation is now $126 for 8 days including all the fees!

Now we're really dancing :dance3::dance3::dance3:

You're very welcome to all! I'm glad to be able to help anyone out; I'm still struggling to beat my $277 for a minivan for a week :mad: so if anyone comes across a minivan deal, send it my way :thumbsup2

For those who are going to pick up at SOG, there is a SOG shuttle from the TTC. Also, the car care center has a shuttle from all the resorts, just call them for pickup and save the $20 cab fare :goodvibes

Thank you! I leave next week and this is the lowest rate I was able to get. Can the car be picked up at the Dolphin? Do I call CCC directly to pick up at that location and when can I call them? Do I have to call them to drop it off at CCC instead of MCO?

You're very welcome to all! I'm glad to be able to help anyone out; I'm still struggling to beat my $277 for a minivan for a week :mad: so if anyone comes across a minivan deal, send it my way :thumbsup2

For those who are going to pick up at SOG, there is a SOG shuttle from the TTC. Also, the car care center has a shuttle from all the resorts, just call them for pickup and save the $20 cab fare :goodvibes

May be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway: can anyone pick up a car at Shades of Green? I don't have to have a military id to enter the resort and pick up the car, do I?

Minniemom, AFAIK, the CCC doesn't handle rentals for the Dolphin. I would call the CCC the day before and confirm that they will allow you to pick up from there. Their number is 407-824-3470. I can't find the same rate to return to SOG/CCC. Only to MCO. I wouldn't rely on being able to change that without the rate changing.

mrebuck, anyone can pick up a car at SOG. Also, you can call the CCC at the above number and arrange pickup at the CCC if you are concerned :goodvibes

Gorechick, you can check Kayak but AFAIK, no. I think this is a special to get more movement through SOG, because even reserving it for pickup at the CCC, Dolphin, etc, the rates are higher.

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!!!!

We are gonna be at the POLY from 8/12 to 8/25

I originally had pickup at MCO 8/12 and drop off at Dolphin 8/14 for $46 with a free day coupon we earned from our rentals...

Then, pick up again at Dolphin 8/18 and drop off at MCO on 8/25 for $167.

I am now picking up at the SOG at 230pm on 8/12 and dropping off at MCO on 8/25 at 130pm for a total of $183.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figure we can walk to the TTC from the Poly and shuttle to the SOG on our 1st day and we are home free.

I am using the coupon for $35 off and I was also playing around with contract ID # 5004691.

Has anyone ever used this contract code ? its a Farbest-croda Italiana code.

Hey, Im Italian so I figure I could use it right ? Forghettaboutit.

Anyways, thanks for guiding me to the Kayak site + National Link

KG

Minniemom, AFAIK, the CCC doesn't handle rentals for the Dolphin. I would call the CCC the day before and confirm that they will allow you to pick up from there. Their number is 407-824-3470. I can't find the same rate to return to SOG/CCC. Only to MCO. I wouldn't rely on being able to change that without the rate changing.

mrebuck, anyone can pick up a car at SOG. Also, you can call the CCC at the above number and arrange pickup at the CCC if you are concerned :goodvibes

Gorechick, you can check Kayak but AFAIK, no. I think this is a special to get more movement through SOG, because even reserving it for pickup at the CCC, Dolphin, etc, the rates are higher.

I owe you immensly right now. i was almost to the point of going the hotwire route that I dread. TYVM!!!

Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!!!!

We are gonna be at the POLY from 8/12 to 8/25

I originally had pickup at MCO 8/12 and drop off at Dolphin 8/14 for $46 with a free day coupon we earned from our rentals...

Then, pick up again at Dolphin 8/18 and drop off at MCO on 8/25 for $167.

I am now picking up at the SOG at 230pm on 8/12 and dropping off at MCO on 8/25 at 130pm for a total of $183.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figure we can walk to the TTC from the Poly and shuttle to the SOG on our 1st day and we are home free.

I am using the coupon for $35 off and I was also playing around with contract ID # 5004691.

Has anyone ever used this contract code ? its a Farbest-croda Italiana code.

Hey, Im Italian so I figure I could use it right ? Forghettaboutit.

Anyways, thanks for guiding me to the Kayak site + National Link

KG

Quicker, walk to shades from poly. There is a marked path. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter