August 2012 Car Rental Thread

Got a coupon from Alamo that knocked my price down $17 or so. Went from $107 for 2 nights to $90. Getting better. Still hoping for cheaper..

Wow, my rate just dropped $200 for a 10 day rental out of LAX. I went down from $409 to $204. Intermediate sized car using Costco travel website. Check your reservations!

I figured I might as well get in on this thread... We were originally going to go with the Disney Transportation and just rent a car for 2 days to do some off-site stuff, but my DH is really not big on shuttle service at all and thought having a car would help his stress a bit.

I just booked 9 days with Enterprise from the West Jet partners page for $211 full size. I'm pretty happy with that.

Budget BCD code D464700 gave me an ok rate on a friday-monday economy rental from O'hare in August 24-27. (about equal to Advantage's everyday rate, but their shuttle pick-up location is so inconvient) $167.60 plus taxes/fees. I found the code on retailmenot dot com. 128 comments is usually a good sign that it's a pretty decent code. I'll of course keep looking until I get ready to leave, but it's a start... :rotfl2:

Change number 1: Today I used Costco ID 7014627 and coupon code AD63637RM with Alamo. I now have a midsize suv for $242.98. It's only a savings of $6, but it's a start....and a bit larger car.

Help. It has been so long since I have rented, that I am not rental "savvy" anymore & I am getting frustrated. :confused:

My dates are 8/15 8:00PM -8/25 5:00PM. DH likes a big car :confused3 and I had always been able to snag a great deal using the Emerald Isle at National. So far, I can only find outrageous rates :sad1:

I have a full size crossover from Costco for $551.94 with all taxes & fees with Alamo. The same car on Costco is now $765 so at least that is good. However, I usually have paid in the $300 range with all fees. Have rental prices risen so much?

I am :badpc::badpc::badpc: trying to figure this out.

Can anyone help an old "newbie"? :love:

Good morning Pesto. Those codes you used for the Budget site gave me a good rate on an SUV for 3 weeks out of West Palm Beach. Where is that coupon code from, and do I need to get hold of the coupon to present when I pick up the car? Also, was the first code from Travelocity and Ok for anybody to use? I just don't want to arrive at the counter and not have what I need, then be forced to pay more.

TIA!

I got those codes from Carina on this board. I think the coupon code is listed on mousesavers.com. Go to the rental car section and check. I *think* it comes from car and driver magazine? I do not have the coupon and it does not say that you do need to have it. Hopefully Carina will chime in. I am sorry to be so vague but I have typed in literally hundreds of codes.

I got those codes from Carina on this board. I think the coupon code is listed on mousesavers.com. Go to the rental car section and check. I *think* it comes from car and driver magazine? I do not have the coupon and it does not say that you do need to have it. Hopefully Carina will chime in. I am sorry to be so vague but I have typed in literally hundreds of codes.

Chiming in
Its NOT on Mousesavers, I actually got it from an older thread on this board. (although I get the burned out code brain too. I have a budget van reserved with that code and an Alamo van with another code and for the life of me I cannot remember what Code i used for Alamo)....

Anyways it's a Travelocity code ( so they say) and EVERY person that used it on the other older HUGE thread here on this board said they did not need the coupon.

If you google travelocity budget coupon a Disboard thread comes up as the first result...lol

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2387874

hth

Kayak is showing weekly rates for August, picking up from either Shades of Green or MCO (depending on availability) every day through 8/24, for $103. Includes compact, standard, intermediate, and full-size, again depending on availability. Company is National.

Hope this helps someone!

:yay: The rate I've been getting for August 14-21 through Alamo went down $40 this week (down to $262.75 for a midsize picking up and returning at Dolphin)

Here's hoping it will go down even more!!

Kayak is showing weekly rates for August, picking up from either Shades of Green or MCO (depending on availability) every day through 8/24, for $103. Includes compact, standard, intermediate, and full-size, again depending on availability. Company is National.

Hope this helps someone!

I missed this yesterday - are you still seeing this rate today? I checked Kayak, but it did not come up for me. Same $30+/day I've been seeing on individual websites.:confused:

My rates are still horrible. I am starting to worry just a tiny bit. We do have a backup plan which is to just rent for the Universal portion of our trip, return it to MCO and use Magical Express to Disney and back.
It will all work out somehow, but I am NOT paying 400 or more to rent a car for 10 days, so we'll see how it all pans out.

My rates are still horrible. I am starting to worry just a tiny bit. We do have a backup plan which is to just rent for the Universal portion of our trip, return it to MCO and use Magical Express to Disney and back.
It will all work out somehow, but I am NOT paying 400 or more to rent a car for 10 days, so we'll see how it all pans out.

I found that picking up at MCO and dropping off at the Dolphin saved a bit of money vs. pick-up and drop-off at MCO. You have to use Alamo or National. We're doing US/IOA first and staying at a hotel on International Drive for the first three days. I thought it would be easier to just drive over to WDW from there, check in and unload, and then drop the car at the Dolphin rather than load up, go to the airport, unload, load onto ME, and unload at WDW. It also gives a chance to stop at a grocery store for snacks/water before getting to WDW.

I found that picking up at MCO and dropping off at the Dolphin saved a bit of money vs. pick-up and drop-off at MCO. You have to use Alamo or National. We're doing US/IOA first and staying at a hotel on International Drive for the first three days. I thought it would be easier to just drive over to WDW from there, check in and unload, and then drop the car at the Dolphin rather than load up, go to the airport, unload, load onto ME, and unload at WDW. It also gives a chance to stop at a grocery store for snacks/water before getting to WDW.

Thank you Darcy, I will look into that. I just went in May and when I was this close to that trip rates were dropping all over the place. We ended up with a van for $225 for 10 days with Alamo. I can't get a car under 350 right now:headache:

I'll take a look at other drop off points:)

pigletto - I was in that May rates hunt with you, and am now looking for August rates as well!:goodvibes I, too, was hoping they were poised to drop about now.:headache:

I'm only going for 6 nights, but the best I can find is $176 for a mid-size with National, or $182 at Alamo. I've got a mid-size SUV saved with Alamo for $204, but will likely save the $28 and go with the EA at National if I don't come up with a better deal.

Thank you Darcy, I will look into that. I just went in May and when I was this close to that trip rates were dropping all over the place. We ended up with a van for $225 for 10 days with Alamo. I can't get a car under 350 right now:headache:

I'll take a look at other drop off points:)

I've been doing the multi-times a day check too. I'd much rather keep the car for the 10 days that we're there, but I haven't been able to get anything under $450 for my days. I keep hoping they'll drop the closer I get.

I never tried Kayak but now found a car with Dollar for base rate of $107 a week then $15 a day for Aug 24 to Sept 3, total including tax about $250 - nice. Was going to use airline miles but not for this low a rate!

I never tried Kayak but now found a car with Dollar for base rate of $107 a week then $15 a day for Aug 24 to Sept 3, total including tax about $250 - nice. Was going to use airline miles but not for this low a rate!

we are going august 23-sept 3....did you use a code for this rate or how did you get it so low?

Just booked a car for August 15-August 18 for only our universal stay with payless rental car. Pick up is at MCO and it only cost $63.49 for a midsize car. My family has rented from them before and we have found them to be very reliable, good quality cars, and great gas mileage. The car was exactly the price range we were looking to pay.

we are going august 23-sept 3....did you use a code for this rate or how did you get it so low?

I just went to Dollar's website and the low rates came up, no code. I am very happy with the rate but have never rented with Dollar. Anyone have experience with them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter