Are You planning a trip to Disneyland in December?

And today there's only clouds and a few showers/drizzles possible predicted for 12/2 - 12/15! If Sunday, 12/13's high of 71 keeps up (or even gets warmer) I reckon that's going to be a real busy day. If so, it will be JUST like my last Christmas trip (the week before Thanksgiving)...we left the Sunday of Thanksgiving week and DL was getting so crowded, I was ALMOST glad to be going home after a delightful trip. (Note the qualifier "almost." :) )

I check the forecasts to get an idea of what the weather may be, but always keep in mind that the weather could suddenly change. My primary concern is weather on the Grapevine, Thursday. I plan to drive that route. I would change to a longer coastal drive (260 vs 375 miles) if the Grapevine were to be closed due to snow, which occasionally happens this time of year. However, I will get to DL, 3 December, one way or another.:teleport:

Yikes! We are driving from Disneyland to Fresno at the end of the month. We planned to leave DL at around 10:00am and drive on the I-5 through the Grapevine. In my perfect googlemaps world we were to arrive in Fresno at around 3:00pm.

If the weather is bad that day, how do I take this alternate coastal route?

If the weather is bad that day, how do I take this alternate coastal route?
Enter your start and destination using http://maps.yahoo.com/, which will initially show your route over the Grapevine. Click on the highlighted purple route and drag it from Bakersfield on over to San Luis Obispo. Your coastal drive via 41 to Fresno will be plotted in the blink of an eye. I'm taking that route back home just to see a bit of coastal scenery.

OP, do you mind adding me to the list? My father and I have confirmed our plans..We will be visiting from Dec 19-21. :)

We arrived late saturday and its been great. Crowds on sunday, but monday and today so far are great! Weather is PERFECT! Decorations are beautiful. Check back later about to hit TSMM(only a 12 min wait)

We arrived late saturday and its been great. Crowds on sunday, but monday and today so far are great! Weather is PERFECT! Decorations are beautiful. Check back later about to hit TSMM(only a 12 min wait)
Thanks for the update. Woke up at 3 this morning, too excited to sleep and I still have till Thursday until I get there.:banana:

Enter your start and destination using http://maps.yahoo.com/, which will initially show your route over the Grapevine. Click on the highlighted purple route and drag it from Bakersfield on over to San Luis Obispo. Your coastal drive via 41 to Fresno will be plotted in the blink of an eye. I'm taking that route back home just to see a bit of coastal scenery.

Thanks Bill! I think we'll take this route anyway, it's just a few more hours and it does look like a nice drive.

If we were to leave DL at around 10:00am, is the 6 hour drive time estimate realistic? I know traffic in the L.A. area can be nasty, I'm not sure how to allow for this.

Just found these forums and they're great! We'll be in DL from Dec. 6th to 9th and staying at the Castle Inn and Suites.

We were planning on going to DL on Sunday then taking a day off on Monday to do some sightseeing then back to the park Tuesday. Is DL A LOT more busy on Sunday than Monday or Tuesday? Would it be better to do the sightseeing on Sunday and then hit DL on Monday and Tuesday?

If we were to leave DL at around 10:00am, is the 6 hour drive time estimate realistic? I know traffic in the L.A. area can be nasty, I'm not sure how to allow for this.
I've driven to the L.A. area about once every couple of years. I've never encountered any serious traffic delays, so the online map estimates were pretty accurate. Last few times, I used a GPS and its estimated arrival time was accurate, too. This year I have a newer model GPS, which includes a traffic/detour alert feature. Will see how well it works on this trip.

RangerRebel, the park will be busy on Sunday the 6th because of the Candlelight Processional held there that day.

:goodvibes
Just found these forums and they're great! We'll be in DL from Dec. 6th to 9th and staying at the Castle Inn and Suites.

We were planning on going to DL on Sunday then taking a day off on Monday to do some sightseeing then back to the park Tuesday. Is DL A LOT more busy on Sunday than Monday or Tuesday? Would it be better to do the sightseeing on Sunday and then hit DL on Monday and Tuesday?

Well, this coming Sunday should be very busy because it's only blocked off for Southern California Select passholders - meaning that all the other AP holders can go. But Sunday's park hours are 8-midnight and that means more bang for your buck going that day - plus Fantasmic is going on 2x that evening. :)

Monday and Tuesday close at 6:00 p.m. with no Fantasmic. It will be less crowded than Sunday but lately it seems that less crowded days are still pretty busy.

Fireworks are scheduled for all evenings.

So, if you want to hang out in the park at night with all the Christmas lights on and want to see Fantasmic, then doing Sunday would be a must. Monday and Tuesday you'll only see the lights for a bit before the park closes.

Did that help any? Welcome, btw!! :goodvibes

You're the list! Have a wonderful time! :banana:

Oohhh...I forgot about that... :eek:

Thanks for the prompt responses!

So I take it we should try and stay away Sunday then? LOL You're right about having more time in the evening on Sunday though to enjoy all the Christmas lights etc. but if it's going to be a nut house because of the Candlelight Processional then maybe we should go Monday instead. Decisions, decisions. I see that California Adventure is still open late on Mon/Tues so we could still head over there after DL closes if we still have the energy. We're with our 5 year old so he'll probably (hopefully) be winding down around the time DL closes anyway. :)

I would definetely do Monday and or Tuesday over Sunday in your situation. Sunday will be a much easier day to navigate Southern CA. Sunday is only less crowded at Dl after the processional, which in your case would limit your time of low crowds. With a 5 year old that equals stress and crabiness. Monday and Tuesday close early for cast parties. I personally love these days because it has always been very manageable for us. You will still enjoy the lights and parade. Fireworks I am pretty sure run too. It is nice to have the option to go to CA park also.

I've driven to the L.A. area about once every couple of years. I've never encountered any serious traffic delays, so the online map estimates were pretty accurate. Last few times, I used a GPS and its estimated arrival time was accurate, too. This year I have a newer model GPS, which includes a traffic/detour alert feature. Will see how well it works on this trip.

Thank you! We're going to take the longer route and enjoy the scenery. It'll be nice not to have to stress about what the weather will be like too.

I can't believe December is here already! To all that are going to DL soon, have a wonderful trip.

We're gonna be there (again) this weekend (5th & 6th). We have reservations at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel....but I'm still looking at other options.

We are booked for our first New Year's Eve at Disneyland in the new villas @ the Grand CA. Not too sure about the New Years Eve but we will have a good hiding spot if it gets to be too much for us. :scared:
Officially we are there from Dec 30th to Jan 2nd!
If anyone has found out, do you think they will still be selling Candy Canes that late? The ones they hand make on Main St.?
Later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter